User Reviews for Digoxin

Heart Failure
7.3

Reviews for Digoxin

Nancy · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 15, 2021

For Atrial Fibrillation: “Was given this medication in 1980. My heart rate was quite high and had been since 1966. My heart rate became normal, but unfortunately I developed digoxin toxicity, ceased this medication on doctor's advice and had to put up with my high heart rate until I was diagnosed with hypertension in 2004.”

Jackie August 7, 2020

For Atrial Fibrillation: “My husband was rushed to the E.R for high blood pressure and a high heart rate. The doctor prescribed Digoxin. I looked up this drug as well as the side effects, and it was better than another med his doctor tried to make him take. Digoxin was given in the hospital for one or two days. Came home and everything seemed fine. He woke up around 2:00am complaining he didn't feel well. His speech started slurring, his body starting shaking and right away we thought he was going into stroke mode! My husband started talking about his vision being blurry. Come to find out it's one of the side effects of this medication, the doctor also said he was low on potassium. This is also a side effect of Digoxin! Hopefully this will wear off. Research before you take .”

TEP · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2019

For Atrial Fibrillation: “My 91 y.o. relative recently diagnosed with AFib and on Metoprolol for 2 weeks which caused shortness of breath. Digoxin was prescribed as substitute. After 2 weeks, she suddenly be came disoriented... thought it was a stroke and went to ER. In the hospital she became combative and had hallucinations. Digoxin was discontinued and after sleeping 5 hours straight, was like a different person. Now out of hospital, still a little memory loss and (thankfully) not much recall of her combative behavior to the hospital staff (They were fantastic). Please have someone monitor you, especially if you are older, no matter what med... as a Dr. explained to me, clinical trials are typically done on much younger people and side effects may differ with the elderly.”

kimshesays October 19, 2009

For Atrial Fibrillation: “Please, please, please, help educate patients and families about this medication. My father had been on it for a number of years and developed a toxicity this summer. He passed away within 2 weeks of my taking him to the ER for toxicity. WE had never been informed of things to watch for, he had been taken off of the medication, but then put back on it by mistake by medical professionals at the hospital, at double his previous dose. Reading all of this information available makes me very sad that we were not informed and should have been. Be as proactive as you can!”

jhopperyoung January 2, 2010

For Atrial Fibrillation: “This drug has caused edema in the lower legs since I have been using it, very painful when I put a finger for pressure on my skin from the knees down to the feet. I am considering going off this medication.”

Shericrc September 12, 2011

For Atrial Fibrillation: “My 83 y.o. father was started on digoxin for atrial fibrillation. While it did great with controlling his heart rate it also caused him to have marked depression, anorexia and confusion. Thank heavens we went back to his PCP and they stopped it. ”

mpmizell March 15, 2008

For Heart Failure: “It has improved my husband's life. His heart doesn't beat so weak or irregularly. Doctor says it is essential to his remaining heart muscle to beat strong & regular. Has lessened some of the chest discomfort. Only side effect noticed (at initial dose,) was the effect it had on his appetite. Initial dose was w/a.m. meds; but, went all day without eating a thing. I suggested taking w/p.m. dose. Cardiologist approved; works great. Now eats his 3 regulars daily and looks a lot better.”

Pana · Taken for 10 years or more August 9, 2019

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I was on Digoxin for over 10 years for chronic a-fib. I also have issues with my mitral and aortic valves. Recently I was given HCTZ because my mitral valve had gotten worse and they didn’t want fluid buildup. I began to feel so sick. I had just had my third pacemaker replaced, and thought it might be attributed to that. Went to ER and after much discussion and tests, found out I DIGOXIN TOXICITY!! My level was almost 3.0. This drug can take your life if mixed with another drug. Be aware, check on drug interactions yourself. I’m thankful to be here.”

Anonymous May 2, 2008

Lanoxicaps (digoxin) for Atrial Fibrillation: “This has been an excellent drug for my husband who has had an illeostomy since 1965 and then several years ago developed atrial fib. Because it metabilizes higher in the digestive tract, it was expecially good for someone without a colon. Unfortunately, Glaxo has decided to discontinue these capsules since Mar 2008. We are upset with them and cannot find an equivalent the metabalizes higher in the digestive tract.”

Tuula Karjalainen · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 9, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I have suffered from tachycardia for 25 years. I was taking Atenolol 25mg for years until it did not really work anymore. My Harley street heart surgeon told me to take also digoxin 250mg. I noticed right away my heart was beating more regularly, more stable. After two weeks I was thinking was I supposed also take the Atenolol pills. And started also taking them. That was not good, I was back to tachycardia. I went back to see my doctor and told him that it was strange because first I thought that the new medication was working and then it did not work anymore. I asked if I have to take also the old medication Atenolol and he told me "YES". After some time I decided to give up Atenolol and Digoxin works better alone !!!”

Ryftyjhhgg November 26, 2016

For Heart Failure: “It gives me joint pain and I easily get tired. I have also developed gynecomastia they called it man-boobs It made me uncomftable. I really need to stop it. Ill try CO Q10 or hawthorn berry for replacement hope it will work for me.”

Anonymous December 11, 2011

For Atrial Fibrillation: “This medication saved my life. I had a heart rate that was so high it didn't register at the hospital. I am now going on 32, I took it every day for one year and have never had heart issues since.”

gambrel · Taken for 10 years or more September 5, 2013

For Heart Failure: “I have been on digoxin for 25 years for congestive heart failure and atrial fibrillation, still going strong with no negative side effects.”