User Reviews for Dextromethorphan / quinidine to treat Pseudobulbar Affect

Also known as: Nuedexta

Dextromethorphan / quinidine has an average rating of 8.2 out of 10 from a total of 17 ratings for the treatment of Pseudobulbar Affect. 76% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 12% reported a negative effect.

Dextromethorphan/quinidine Rating Summary

8.2/10 average rating

Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Pseudobulbar Affect.

Reviews for Dextromethorphan / quinidine

Belladonna4880 August 29, 2015

Nuedexta (dextromethorphan / quinidine): “I have MS and my mood swings were unbearable. I feel like this drug has balanced out my brain. Not only am I no longer sad and suffering, I think more rationally. I am going through a very stressful time in my life. Normally I should just want to lay in bed and cry. This drug has put ME in control of my emotions! I have tried a variety of anti depressants.. They made me feel numb . I hated them. This drug is different!!! I also have a history of self medicating with alcohol to cope with my anxiety when a very stressful situation occurs. Since I have started this med, I have no desire or urge. I'm not one to get online and write a review.. But I feel like this is helping me live again.. And I want to share the word!!”

anonpoet August 15, 2011

Nuedexta (dextromethorphan / quinidine): “It has been about two weeks since I've been taking Nuedexta. I went to my doctor back then as I was having angry outbursts as well as increased thoughts of hurting myself or others. Additionally, my anger was taking over any type of rational decision making. My doctor prescribed Nuedexta...just more recently, I've felt somewhat of a change. I don't feel as angry and if I'm in an anger-provoking situation, I know I have to "step aside" and take time out. This never happened until I took Nuedexta. The only complaint I have about the medicine is that since it's new on the market--as far as I know, as the pharmacist had never heard of it--the cost was high and I had to wait a day for the prescription to be delivered.”

Anonymous November 16, 2011

Nuedexta (dextromethorphan / quinidine): “I suffered a bilateral subarachnoid brain hemorrhage and am happy to be alive. However, one of many hurtles left behind for me to deal with was laughing at inappropriate times and crying at the drop of a hat. My brilliant Doctor, prescribed Nuedexta. I have not had an outburst since taking the medicine and no side effects at all.”

Anonymous October 19, 2011

Nuedexta (dextromethorphan / quinidine): “Diagnosed with a paraneoplastic neurological syndrome that has been progressive. Latest development was extreme mood changes and sudden outbursts. After one week on Nuedexta, I felt much improvement. Had to stop during third week due to infection (I am immunodeficient due to chemo) and antibiotic I was taking. Fell back into prior symptoms. Now into second week retaking and positive effect is the same as the first time around. The difference is remarkable.”

CKG · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2014

Nuedexta (dextromethorphan / quinidine): “Sustained a traumatic brain injury (TBI) and subsequently had a stroke. Depressed as to sudden limitations of what I could do after the TBI. Was on anti-depressant, CYMBALTA that had no effect. Within 7 days of taking Neudextra I did not feel as hopeless. Had been very much an A type personality and practiced as an attorney prior to my TBI and subsequent stroke. I had great difficulty in suddenly having limitations as to what I was able to do, my memory, and executive function. Grateful I was referred by my neurologist to another neurologist that had a specialty in TBI. Not many physicians, including neurologists, have a proper understanding of traumatic brain injuries, let alone how to treat it. Price REALLY should be lower.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 29, 2012

Nuedexta (dextromethorphan / quinidine): “This medicine has changed my life. I suffer from rapid cycling bipolar. My up and down mood swings had been well controlled with valproic acid but I was left with spontaneous crying jags. It was so frustrated to be completely unable to control my outward emotional appearance. It's hard to be taken seriously at work or find a new job if I look like I'm having a total breakdown. Internally of course I know this will be over in minutes and I don't feel any emotion about it at all except intense embarrassment. I found I started to avoid situations I couldn't predict. After about two weeks on this medication twice a day, my crying stopped. I feel like a new person. I am so much more confident about going about my daily life.”

Tajah7 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 31, 2015

Nuedexta (dextromethorphan / quinidine): “I have MS, and hadn't even considered that it was effecting moods- such as anger and constant crying. I've been taking Neudexta for approx. 3 months now. It has helped me exponentially! now I no longer cry all day, and I don't often yell! Neudexta really smoothed things out for me!”

Granfather · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 8, 2013

Nuedexta (dextromethorphan / quinidine): “After finally dad was diagnosed with Dementia/Alzeihmer's he went through aggressive behavior, tried to hurt himself. Risperidone helped with aggression but the constant yelling and crying started. After lots of trials the doctor prescribed Nuedexta, which took away most of the yelling and crying. He is more alert and thinking clearer. We are truly happy to be able to visit and enjoy the time together.”

rivarat · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2016

Nuedexta (dextromethorphan / quinidine): “I started nuedexta almost two months ago due to severe mood swings, angry outbursts and frequent crying episodes. Thanks to this medicine, these behaviors have pretty much stopped. I do think for two generic drugs, that the price should be lower.”

Deb I January 28, 2014

Nuedexta (dextromethorphan / quinidine): “This medication addressed inappropriate crying and laughing that has plagued me since a right frontal lobe aneurysm rupture 10 years ago. Took a few weeks to adjust to the side effects but well worth the effort!”

Rinpoche · Taken for less than 1 month August 26, 2018

Nuedexta (dextromethorphan / quinidine): “I took this medication for PBA, after a brain stem stroke. It seems to get good reviews, but it was not the case for me. Lost all of my energy and enthusiasm. Made me so depressed. Seriously. Stayed on it too long, because I was looking for a good result. Seemed to work so well for others. Be careful.”

Takeum January 11, 2021

Nuedexta (dextromethorphan / quinidine): “My wife suffered multiple strokes and after we discovered she also had the crying and laughing syndrome everyone here is talking about. Life without Nuedexta is awful there is constant crying and uncontrollable laughter to the point I worry about her blood pressure. My only complaint is the cost of this drug out of pocket is nearly $1,300.00 for our 90 day prescription. After much research about possible generic drugs, I found that the patent won’t be up until 2024 or something like that. The good news is that it’s made up of basically the same substance as Walgreen cough pill called Wal- phen, same exact ingredient except without the time release which basically tells me I had to try multiple pills instead of 1. So at the cost of $8.99 I tried it and it actually works. So we now take 2 wal- phen in the mornings and 1 regular nuedexta at night and everyone’s happy.”

taino · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 11, 2020

Nuedexta (dextromethorphan / quinidine): “I started using nuedexta after I had a stroke and had excellent results. I was covered with insurance but now do not have insurance so I cried when I was told the price for the script was $1,200. I almost had another stroke.”

teafor2 · Taken for less than 1 month January 19, 2020

Nuedexta (dextromethorphan / quinidine): “Feeling numbed out by this medicine. Probably why it seems to work. I unfortunately have other conditions it won’t treat that the meds for conflict with it. I am still feeing rage and sadness. I’m not sure what to do next. I guess talk to my doctors.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 14, 2014

Nuedexta (dextromethorphan / quinidine): “I have been crying inappropriately since a stroke 2 years ago. Nuedexta has helped me keep my emotions in check. I still cry, but usually in more appropriate situations. Recommend it.”

lizzy2015 January 30, 2015

Nuedexta (dextromethorphan / quinidine): “My mother has Alzheimer's Disease and lately she started crying and getting aggressive. This medication has controlled her behavior and her emotions 100%. Thank you very much.”

griggins420 · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2016

“I feel horrible right now. Only day 2 starting meds but massively depressed and totally drained no energy”

Learn more about Pseudobulbar Affect