This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Meralgia paresthetica (MP)
is a condition that causes numbness, tingling, and burning pain in your thigh. MP occurs when the nerve that provides feeling to the area is pinched.
Symptoms of MP
may happen in one or both thighs. Symptoms may get worse if you stand or walk for a long time. You may have any of the following:
- Numbness and tingling in the outer part of your thigh
- Burning, stinging, or aching in the front or outer part of your thigh
- Lower back pain that goes down your legs
- Skin that is extra sensitive to the touch
- Dull, achy pain in your groin and buttocks
Call your local emergency number (911 in the US) if:
- You cannot feel or move your legs.
Call your doctor if:
- You have severe leg pain.
- Your symptoms do not improve with treatment.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
may not be needed. Symptoms may go away without treatment after a few weeks or months. If symptoms continue, you may need any of the following:
- Medicines may be given to relieve pain or decrease inflammation.
- Surgery may be needed if your symptoms are severe and other treatments do not work. The nerve may be removed or the tissue around it cut to relieve pressure.
- Take pressure off the nerve. Wear loose clothing. Do not wear tight pants, belts, or other tight clothes. Do not walk or stand for long periods of time. Ask your provider what a healthy weight is for you. He or she can help you create a safe weight loss plan if you are overweight.
- Go to physical therapy, if directed. A physical therapist teaches you exercises to help improve movement and strength, and to decrease pain.
Follow up with your doctor as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2021 Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or IBM Watson Health
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
Learn more about Meralgia Paresthetica (Ambulatory Care)
IBM Watson Micromedex
Mayo Clinic Reference
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.