This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP) is a condition that affects the nerves in your body. Your nerves have a fatty covering called myelin sheath that protects the nerve fibers. CIDP may happen when your immune system attacks and damages the myelin sheath. This damage can cause weakness and decreased feeling in your arms and legs.
Seek care immediately if:
- You are having trouble breathing.
- You cannot walk or care for yourself.
- You have pain that does not decrease, even with medicine.
- Your symptoms get worse very quickly.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You feel like you cannot cope with your condition.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
You may need any of the following:
- Immune globulins may be given to make your immune system stronger.
- Steroids may be given to decrease nerve swelling.
- Plasma exchange is a procedure that separates the plasma in your blood from your blood cells. Plasma is the liquid part of your blood. Antibodies that may be attacking and damaging your nerves are also removed. Your blood cells and healthy plasma are then returned to your body.
- Pain medicine may be given.
- Take your medicine as directed. Contact your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him of her if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Physical and occupational therapy:
Your healthcare provider may recommend physical and occupational therapy. A physical therapist teaches you exercises to help improve movement and strength, and to decrease pain. An occupational therapist teaches you skills to help with your daily activities.
Follow up with your doctor as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2021 Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or IBM Watson Health
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
Learn more about Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (Discharge Care)
IBM Watson Micromedex
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.