This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Altered Mental Status
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Altered mental status (AMS) is a disruption in how your brain works that causes a change in behavior. This change can happen suddenly or over days. AMS ranges from slight confusion to total disorientation and increased sleepiness to coma.
- Antibiotics help fight or prevent infection. Take your antibiotics until they are gone, even if you feel better.
- Take your medicine as directed. Contact your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him of her if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have sudden changes in behavior.
- You are more sleepy or confused than usual.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Seek care immediately or call 911 if:
- Your speech is slurred or you are rambling.
- You have a seizure.
- You are not able to move any part of your body freely.
- Someone close to you cannot wake you up.
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2018 Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or IBM Watson Health
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.