Generic Name: multivitamins with minerals/folic acid (muhl-tee-VYE-ta-mins/MIN-er-als/FOE-lik AS-id)
Brand Name: Examples include Glutofac-ZX and Folpace Rx
Vitatab MV is used for:
Treating or preventing low levels of vitamins, folic acid, or minerals. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Vitatab MV is a vitamin, folic acid, and mineral supplement. It works by providing extra vitamins, minerals, and folic acid to the body when you need more than what you get in your diet.
Do NOT use Vitatab MV if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vitatab MV
- you have decreased liver or kidney function
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vitatab MV:
Some medical conditions may interact with Vitatab MV. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of bowel problems (eg, a bowel blockage), a certain eye problem (Leber optic atrophy), certain blood disorders (eg, megaloblastic anemia, pernicious anemia), high blood calcium levels, kidney problems, kidney stones, liver problems, sarcoidosis, or parathyroid gland problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vitatab MV. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) or fluorouracil because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Vitatab MV
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) or penicillamine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Vitatab MV
- Many other prescription and nonprescription medicines (eg, used for infections, heart problems, high blood pressure, immune system suppression, cancer, low blood platelets, osteoporosis, thyroid problems, bladder problems, Parkinson disease, psoriasis, swelling, other conditions) may interact with Vitatab MV. This may increase the risk of side effects or decrease the effectiveness of your other medicines. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if any medicines you take may interact with Vitatab MV and how to take them with Vitatab MV
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Vitatab MV may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vitatab MV:
Use Vitatab MV as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Vitatab MV by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take Vitatab MV with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- If you miss a dose of Vitatab MV, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vitatab MV.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) while you use Vitatab MV unless your doctor tells you to.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Vitatab MV before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Vitatab MV has many vitamins (eg, pyridoxine [vitamin B6], cyanocobalamin [vitamin B12], ascorbic acid [vitamin C], vitamin E), minerals (eg, zinc), and folic acid in it. Before you start any medicine, check the label to see if it has any vitamins, minerals, or folic acid in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of taking Vitatab MV while you are pregnant. Vitatab MV is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you take Vitatab MV, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Vitatab MV:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Vitatab MV. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); decreased coordination; numbness or tingling of the skin; severe drowsiness, headaches, or nausea; severe or persistent constipation or diarrhea.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include bone pain; confusion; dark urine; diarrhea; fever; lower back or side pain; mental or mood changes; nausea, vomiting, or stomach cramps; sluggishness; unexplained skin or mouth sores; yellowing of the skin or eyes.Proper storage of Vitatab MV:
Store Vitatab MV at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Vitatab MV out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Vitatab MV, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vitatab MV is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Vitatab MV or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Vitatab MV. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Vitatab MV. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Vitatab MV.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Vitatab MV (multivitamin with minerals)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: vitamin and mineral combinations