Undecylenic acid liquid
Generic Name: undecylenic acid (un-deh-sil-EN-ik AS-id)
Brand Name: Examples include Elon Dual Defense Anti-Fungal and Trifungol
Undecylenic acid liquid is used for:
Treating athlete's foot and ringworm. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Undecylenic acid liquid is an antifungal. It works by preventing fungal growth.
Do NOT use undecylenic acid liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in undecylenic acid liquid
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using undecylenic acid liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with undecylenic acid liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes or blood vessel problems in your arms or legs
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with undecylenic acid liquid. Because little, if any, of undecylenic acid liquid is absorbed into the blood, the risk of interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if undecylenic acid liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use undecylenic acid liquid:
Use undecylenic acid liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Undecylenic acid liquid is for external use only. Do not get undecylenic acid liquid in your eyes, ears, nose, or mouth. If you get undecylenic acid liquid in your eyes, rinse immediately with cool tap water.
- Wash your hands immediately before and after using undecylenic acid liquid.
- Wash and completely dry the affected area.
- Apply a thin layer of medicine to the affected area. For athlete's foot, pay special attention to the spaces between the toes.
- Do not cover with a bandage or dressing unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of undecylenic acid liquid, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use undecylenic acid liquid.
Important safety information:
- If your symptoms do not improve within 4 weeks or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not use undecylenic acid liquid on blistered or oozing skin or over deep puncture wounds.
- For athlete's foot, it may be helpful to wear well-fitting, well-ventilated shoes and to change shoes and socks at least once daily.
- Do not use undecylenic acid liquid on the scalp or the nails. It is not effective on these areas.
- It is important to use undecylenic acid liquid for the full course of treatment. Failure to do so may decrease the effectiveness of undecylenic acid liquid and may increase the risk that the fungus will no longer be sensitive to undecylenic acid liquid and will not be able to be treated by this or certain other antifungals in the future.
- Overuse of topical products may worsen your condition.
- Undecylenic acid liquid may be harmful if swallowed. If you or someone you know may have taken undecylenic acid liquid by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- CHILDREN younger than 18 years of age or patients with sensitive skin should use undecylenic acid liquid only as directed by a doctor.
- Supervise CHILDREN who are using undecylenic acid liquid.
- Use of undecylenic acid liquid is not recommended in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age without first checking with your doctor. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using undecylenic acid liquid during pregnancy. It is unknown if undecylenic acid liquid is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using undecylenic acid liquid, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of undecylenic acid liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blistering, burning, itching, peeling, swelling, or reddening of your skin not present when you began using undecylenic acid liquid.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Undecylenic acid liquid may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of undecylenic acid liquid:
Store undecylenic acid liquid at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep undecylenic acid liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about undecylenic acid liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Undecylenic acid liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take undecylenic acid liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about undecylenic acid liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to undecylenic acid liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using undecylenic acid liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about undecylenic acid topical
- Side Effects
- Support Group
- En Español
- 4 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical antifungals
- Undecylenic acid/zinc undecylenate ointment
- Undecylenic acid/zinc undecylenate powder
- Zinc undecylenate powder
- Undecylenic acid topical
- Undecylenic acid Topical (Advanced Reading)