Generic Name: Romidepsin (roe mi DEP sin)
Brand Name: Istodax (Overfill), Istodax
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 6, 2020.
Uses of Romidepsin:
- It is used to treat a type of lymphoma.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Romidepsin?
- If you have an allergy to romidepsin or any other part of romidepsin.
- If you are allergic to romidepsin; any part of romidepsin; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Low potassium or magnesium levels.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Carbamazepine, dexamethasone, phenobarbital, phenytoin, rifabutin, rifampin, rifapentine, or St. John's wort.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take romidepsin and for 1 week after your last dose.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with romidepsin.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take romidepsin with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Romidepsin?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take romidepsin. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- You may need to have an ECG checked before starting romidepsin and while taking it. Talk with your doctor.
- You may have more of a chance of getting an infection. Wash hands often. Stay away from people with infections, colds, or flu. Some infections have been very bad and even deadly.
- If you have had hepatitis B or Epstein Barr virus, talk with your doctor. This medicine can cause these viruses to become active again.
- You may bleed more easily. Be careful and avoid injury. Use a soft toothbrush and an electric razor.
- If you have upset stomach, throwing up, diarrhea, or are not hungry, talk with your doctor. There may be ways to lower these side effects.
- This medicine may affect fertility. Fertility problems may lead to not being able to get pregnant or father a child.
- If you are a man and have sex with a female who could get pregnant, protect her from pregnancy during treatment and for 1 month after your last dose.
- If you are a man and your sex partner gets pregnant while you take romidepsin or within 1 month after your last dose, call your doctor right away.
- Birth control pills and other hormone-based birth control may not work as well to prevent pregnancy. Use some other kind of birth control also like a condom when taking romidepsin.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant.
- If you are able to get pregnant, a pregnancy test will be done to show that you are NOT pregnant before starting romidepsin. Talk with your doctor.
- Use birth control that you can trust to prevent pregnancy while taking romidepsin and for 1 month after stopping romidepsin.
- If you get pregnant while taking romidepsin or within 1 month after your last dose, call your doctor right away.
How is this medicine (Romidepsin) best taken?
Use romidepsin as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as an infusion into a vein over a period of time.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids for at least 72 hours after each dose of romidepsin unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor. Talk with your doctor.
- Other drugs may be given before romidepsin to help avoid side effects.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of infection like fever, chills, very bad sore throat, ear or sinus pain, cough, more sputum or change in color of sputum, pain with passing urine, mouth sores, or wound that will not heal.
- Signs of bleeding like throwing up or coughing up blood; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; blood in the urine; black, red, or tarry stools; bleeding from the gums; abnormal vaginal bleeding; bruises without a cause or that get bigger; or bleeding you cannot stop.
- Signs of electrolyte problems like mood changes, confusion, muscle pain or weakness, a heartbeat that does not feel normal, seizures, not hungry, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up.
- Signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- Swelling in the arms or legs.
- Shortness of breath.
- Flu-like signs.
- Muscle pain.
- Chest pain or pressure or a fast heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Dizziness or passing out.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- Patients with cancer who take romidepsin may be at a greater risk of getting a severe health problem called tumor lysis syndrome (TLS).This may lead to death. Call your doctor right away if you have a fast or abnormal heartbeat; any passing out; trouble passing urine; muscle weakness or cramps; upset stomach, throwing up, diarrhea, or not able to eat; or feel sluggish.
What are some other side effects of Romidepsin?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Not hungry.
- Belly pain.
- Weight loss.
- Change in taste.
- Mouth irritation or mouth sores.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Romidepsin?
- If you need to store romidepsin at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about romidepsin, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about romidepsin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review
- Drug class: histone deacetylase inhibitors
Other brands: Istodax