Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 2, 2020.
Uses of Renvela:
- It is used to lower high phosphate levels.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Renvela?
- If you have an allergy to sevelamer or any other part of Renvela (sevelamer powder packets).
- If you are allergic to Renvela (sevelamer powder packets); any part of Renvela (sevelamer powder packets); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have a bowel block.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Renvela (sevelamer powder packets).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Renvela (sevelamer powder packets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Renvela?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Renvela (sevelamer powder packets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Follow the diet plan that your doctor told you about.
- Bowel block and holes in the GI (gastrointestinal) tract have happened with Renvela (sevelamer powder packets). Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Renvela (sevelamer powder packets) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Renvela) best taken?
Use Renvela (sevelamer powder packets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with meals.
- Keep taking Renvela (sevelamer powder packets) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- This medicine prevents many other drugs from getting into the body. If you take other drugs, check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if you need to take them at some other time than Renvela (sevelamer powder packets).
- If you are using half or all of the 0.8 g packet, mix with 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of water. If you are using the 2.4 g packet, mix with 4 tablespoons (60 mL) of water. Stir and drink within 30 minutes. Powder will not dissolve.
- You may also mix packet contents with a small amount of food or drink. Take within 30 minutes of mixing. Do not heat the powder or add to heated foods or drinks.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad constipation.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Trouble swallowing.
What are some other side effects of Renvela?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Belly pain.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Renvela?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Renvela (sevelamer powder packets), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Renvela (sevelamer)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 7 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: phosphate binders
- FDA Approval History
- Other brands
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.