Pyrithione zinc shampoo
Generic Name: pyrithione zinc (peer-i-THYE-one ZINK)
Brand Name: Examples include Denorex and Dermazinc
Pyrithione zinc shampoo is used for:
Treating and preventing itching, flaking, and scaling of the scalp caused by dandruff or seborrhea (oily, crusting, or scaling skin).
Pyrithione zinc shampoo is an antiseborrheic. It works by slowing the production of skin cells, which helps to reduce flakiness.
Do NOT use pyrithione zinc shampoo if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in pyrithione zinc shampoo
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using pyrithione zinc shampoo:
Some medical conditions may interact with pyrithione zinc shampoo. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a condition that covers a large area of the body
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with pyrithione zinc shampoo. Because little, if any, of pyrithione zinc shampoo is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if pyrithione zinc shampoo may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use pyrithione zinc shampoo:
Use pyrithione zinc shampoo as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Shake well before each use.
- Wet hair thoroughly. Apply pyrithione zinc shampoo and work into a lather. Rinse thoroughly and repeat.
- For best results, use pyrithione zinc shampoo at least 2 times per week or as directed by your doctor. Do not use more often than once daily.
- If you miss a dose of pyrithione zinc shampoo, use the dose when you remember. Continue to use pyrithione zinc shampoo as directed by your doctor or the package labeling.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use pyrithione zinc shampoo.
Important safety information:
- Pyrithione zinc shampoo is for external use only. Do not get pyrithione zinc shampoo in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get pyrithione zinc shampoo in your eyes, rinse immediately with cool water.
- If your symptoms do not improve with regular use or if they become worse, consult your doctor.
- Different brands of pyrithione zinc shampoo may have different dosing instructions for CHILDREN on the package labeling. Follow the dosing instructions provided on the package labeling or by your doctor. If you are unsure of the dose to give a child, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Use of pyrithione zinc shampoo is not recommended in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age without checking with your doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking pyrithione zinc shampoo, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using pyrithione zinc shampoo during pregnancy. It is unknown if pyrithione zinc shampoo is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using pyrithione zinc shampoo, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of pyrithione zinc shampoo:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with pyrithione zinc shampoo. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); skin irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Pyrithione zinc shampoo may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of pyrithione zinc shampoo:
Store pyrithione zinc shampoo at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep pyrithione zinc shampoo out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about pyrithione zinc shampoo, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pyrithione zinc shampoo is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take pyrithione zinc shampoo or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about pyrithione zinc shampoo. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to pyrithione zinc shampoo. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using pyrithione zinc shampoo.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about pyrithione zinc topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Support Group
- 3 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: miscellaneous topical agents