Generic Name: famotidine (fa-MOE-tih-deen)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Pepcid Solution is used for:
Treating and preventing ulcers. It is also used to treat conditions that cause increased acid secretion (eg, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome), gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), and esophagitis. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Pepcid Solution is an H2 (histamine) blocker. It works by reducing stomach acid by blocking one of the chemicals (histamine) that stimulates the release of acid into the stomach.
Do NOT use Pepcid Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Pepcid Solution or to other H2 blockers (eg, ranitidine)
- you are taking dasatinib
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Pepcid Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Pepcid Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney or liver disease
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Pepcid Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Dasatinib because its effectiveness may be decreased by Pepcid Solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Pepcid Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Pepcid Solution:
Use Pepcid Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Pepcid Solution is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Pepcid Solution at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Pepcid Solution. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Pepcid Solution if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- If you take atazanavir, erlotinib, itraconazole, ketoconazole, or rilpivirine, ask your doctor or pharmacist how to take it with Pepcid Solution.
- Ask your doctor before taking antacids or other acid reducers with Pepcid Solution.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Pepcid Solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Pepcid Solution.
Important safety information:
- Pepcid Solution may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Pepcid Solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Notify your doctor if you have any symptoms of a bleeding ulcer, such as black, tarry stools or vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
- You may need to make significant diet and lifestyle changes to help treat and prevent ulcers and other digestive problems, including stress-reduction programs, exercise, and diet changes.
- Use Pepcid Solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Pepcid Solution while you are pregnant. Pepcid Solution is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while using Pepcid Solution.
Possible side effects of Pepcid Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; headache.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); irregular heartbeat; seizures.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Pepcid Solution:
Pepcid Solution is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Pepcid Solution at home, store Pepcid Solution as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Pepcid Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Pepcid Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pepcid Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Pepcid Solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Pepcid Solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Pepcid Solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Pepcid Solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Pepcid (famotidine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 6 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: H2 antagonists
Other brands: Heartburn Relief