Lustra-AF (with Sunscreen Cream and Gel)
Generic Name: Hydroquinone with Sunscreen Cream and Gel (HYE droe KWIN ane)
Brand Name: Alphaquin HP, Esoterica Daytime, Esoterica Facial, Lustra-AF, Lustra-Ultra, ...show all 9 brand names.Melpaque HP, NAVA-SC, Nuquin HP, Skin Bleaching-Sunscreen
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 4, 2020.
The Lustra-AF brand name has been discontinued in the U.S. If generic versions of this product have been approved by the FDA, there may be generic equivalents available.
Uses of Lustra-AF:
- It is used to lighten the skin where there are changes in color.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Lustra-AF?
- If you have an allergy to hydroquinone or any other part of Lustra-AF (hydroquinone with sunscreen cream and gel).
- If you are allergic to Lustra-AF (hydroquinone with sunscreen cream and gel); any part of Lustra-AF (hydroquinone with sunscreen cream and gel); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Lustra-AF (hydroquinone with sunscreen cream and gel) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Lustra-AF?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Lustra-AF (hydroquinone with sunscreen cream and gel). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- After stopping Lustra-AF (hydroquinone with sunscreen cream and gel), some of the color change may come back.
- If you have a sulfite allergy, talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If Lustra-AF (hydroquinone with sunscreen cream and gel) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Avoid sun, sunlamps, and tanning beds. Use sunscreen and wear clothing and eyewear that protects you from the sun.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Lustra-AF (hydroquinone with sunscreen cream and gel) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
Cream and gel with sunscreen:
- This medicine has a sunscreen in it. Check with your doctor to see if you need extra sunscreen.
How is this medicine (Lustra-AF) best taken?
Use Lustra-AF (hydroquinone with sunscreen cream and gel) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Lustra-AF (hydroquinone with sunscreen cream and gel) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Put a thin layer on the affected part and rub in gently.
- Practice good skin care and avoid the sun.
- Do not use coverings (bandages, dressings, make-up) unless told to do so by the doctor.
- Do not use on irritated skin.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad skin irritation.
- Change in color of skin to blue-black.
- Blisters or sores.
What are some other side effects of Lustra-AF?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Dry skin.
- Skin irritation.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Lustra-AF?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Lustra-AF (hydroquinone with sunscreen cream and gel), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Lustra-AF (hydroquinone topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug class: topical depigmenting agents
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.