Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 24, 2023.
Uses of K-Phos Original:
- It is used to lower the urine's pH.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take K-Phos Original?
- If you are allergic to K-Phos Original (potassium phosphate tablets); any part of K-Phos Original (potassium phosphate tablets); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: High phosphate levels, high potassium levels, or high or low calcium levels.
- If you have any of these health problems: Infected kidney stones or kidney disease.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with K-Phos Original (potassium phosphate tablets).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take K-Phos Original (potassium phosphate tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take K-Phos Original?
For all uses of K-Phos Original (potassium phosphate tablets):
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take K-Phos Original (potassium phosphate tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are taking a salt substitute that has potassium in it, a potassium-sparing diuretic, or a potassium product, talk with your doctor.
- Do not take antacids that have aluminum, magnesium, or calcium in them with K-Phos Original (potassium phosphate tablets).
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
For lowering the urine's pH:
- If you have kidney stones, you may pass old stones when K-Phos Original (potassium phosphate tablets) is started. Talk with your doctor.
How is this medicine (K-Phos Original) best taken?
Use K-Phos Original (potassium phosphate tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Dissolve in 6 to 8 ounces (180 to 240 mL) of water. Let soak for 2 to 5 minutes or more if needed and stir.
- Take K-Phos Original (potassium phosphate tablets) with meals and at bedtime or as you have been told by your doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of a high potassium level like a heartbeat that does not feel normal; change in thinking clearly and with logic; feeling weak, lightheaded, or dizzy; feel like passing out; numbness or tingling; or shortness of breath.
- Signs of low calcium levels like muscle cramps or spasms, numbness and tingling, or seizures.
- Signs of low magnesium levels like mood changes, muscle pain or weakness, muscle cramps or spasms, seizures, shakiness, not hungry, very bad upset stomach or throwing up, or a heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Not able to move.
- Feeling of heaviness in your arms or legs.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- Bone or joint pain.
What are some other side effects of K-Phos Original?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Stomach pain or diarrhea.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out K-Phos Original?
- Store at room temperature in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about K-Phos Original (potassium phosphate tablets), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about K-Phos Original (potassium acid phosphate)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Drug images
- Side effects
- Drug class: urinary pH modifiers
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.