Interferon alfa-n3 solution
Generic Name: interferon alfa-n3 (ihn-ter-FEER-ahn AL-fuh)
Brand Name: Alferon N
Interferon alfa-n3 solution is used for:
Treating genital warts (condylomata acuminata). It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Interferon alfa-n3 solution is an interferon. How it works is not fully understood. It is thought to work by helping the immune system fight viruses, which decreases their ability to reproduce.
Do NOT use interferon alfa-n3 solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in interferon alfa-n3 solution, including egg protein or neomycin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using interferon alfa-n3 solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with interferon alfa-n3 solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have immune system problems, bleeding problems (eg, hemophilia), diabetes, epilepsy or seizures, shingles, chickenpox, or a history of suicidal thoughts or behaviors
- if you have heart problems, lung problems, or bone marrow problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with interferon alfa-n3 solution. However, no specific interactions with interferon alfa-n3 solution are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if interferon alfa-n3 solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use interferon alfa-n3 solution:
Use interferon alfa-n3 solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Interferon alfa-n3 solution is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- If you are using interferon alfa-n3 solution at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- Do not shake interferon alfa-n3 solution.
- If the medicine contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial/container is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- If you miss a dose of interferon alfa-n3 solution, contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use interferon alfa-n3 solution.
Important safety information:
- Interferon alfa-n3 solution may cause dizziness or changes in vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to interferon alfa-n3 solution. Using interferon alfa-n3 solution alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Do not change brands of interferon alfa-n3 solution without discussing it with your doctor.
- Interferon alfa-n3 solution will add to the effects of alcohol and other depressants. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines are depressants.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using interferon alfa-n3 solution.
- Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist to explain local regulations for selecting an appropriate container and properly disposing of the container when full.
- THIS MEDICINE CONTAINS ALBUMIN, which comes from human blood. There is an extremely rare risk of developing a viral disease or a central nervous system disease called Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. No cases of viral diseases or Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease from albumin have been identified.
- LAB TESTS, including liver function and complete blood cell count, may be performed to monitor your progress. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using interferon alfa-n3 solution during pregnancy. It is unknown if interferon alfa-n3 solution is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking interferon alfa-n3 solution.
Possible side effects of interferon alfa-n3 solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Appetite loss; changes in taste or hearing; chills; diarrhea; fatigue; flu-like symptoms; headache; muscle and joint pain; nausea; pain or other reaction at the site of injection; stomach pain; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; bloody diarrhea; chest pain; dark urine or changes in amount of urine; depression; difficulty sleeping; dizziness; drowsiness; intolerance to heat or cold; irregular heartbeat; one-sided weakness (arm, leg); persistent sore throat; poor coordination; pounding in the chest; psychotic or manic behavior; seizures; severe stomach/abdominal pain; suicidal thoughts; tingling hands or feet; unusual bleeding/bruising; unusual increase in thirst; vision changes; vomiting blood; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of interferon alfa-n3 solution:
Store interferon alfa-n3 solution in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Keep interferon alfa-n3 solution, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about interferon alfa-n3 solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Interferon alfa-n3 solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take interferon alfa-n3 solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about interferon alfa-n3 solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to interferon alfa-n3 solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using interferon alfa-n3 solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about interferon alfa-n3
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: interferons
Other brands: Alferon N