Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 28, 2021.
The Granulex brand name has been discontinued in the U.S. If generic versions of this product have been approved by the FDA, there may be generic equivalents available.
Uses of Granulex:
- It is used to promote healing of skin ulcers and wounds.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Granulex?
- If you have an allergy to trypsin, balsam peru, castor oil, or any other part of Granulex (trypsin, balsam peru, and castor oil spray).
- If you are allergic to Granulex (trypsin, balsam peru, and castor oil spray); any part of Granulex (trypsin, balsam peru, and castor oil spray); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Granulex (trypsin, balsam peru, and castor oil spray) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Granulex?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Granulex (trypsin, balsam peru, and castor oil spray). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If Granulex (trypsin, balsam peru, and castor oil spray) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- This medicine may catch on fire. Do not use near an open flame or while smoking.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Granulex (trypsin, balsam peru, and castor oil spray) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Granulex) best taken?
Use Granulex (trypsin, balsam peru, and castor oil spray) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Granulex (trypsin, balsam peru, and castor oil spray) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- You may need to cover the treated area with a bandage or dressing. Talk with the doctor.
- Shake well before use.
- Hold spray upright and about 12 inches from the treated part.
- Spray and coat wound quickly.
- Do not breathe in Granulex (trypsin, balsam peru, and castor oil spray). Breathing in Granulex (trypsin, balsam peru, and castor oil spray) may cause harm or death.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad skin irritation.
What are some other side effects of Granulex?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Granulex?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Protect from heat or open flame.
- Protect from heat and sunlight. Do not puncture or burn even if it seems empty.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Granulex (trypsin, balsam peru, and castor oil spray), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Granulex (balsam peru/castor oil/trypsin topical)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.