Generic Name: Pyrithione Zinc Spray (peer i THYE one zingk)
Brand Name: DermaZinc Spray
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 23, 2019.
Uses of DermaZinc Spray:
- It is used to control seborrheic dermatitis.
- It is used to treat skin irritation and dandruff.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take DermaZinc Spray?
- If you are allergic to DermaZinc Spray (pyrithione zinc spray); any part of DermaZinc Spray (pyrithione zinc spray); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If a large area needs to be treated.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take DermaZinc Spray (pyrithione zinc spray) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take DermaZinc Spray?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take DermaZinc Spray (pyrithione zinc spray). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If DermaZinc Spray (pyrithione zinc spray) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using DermaZinc Spray (pyrithione zinc spray) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
- Do not use near an open flame or while smoking. It may burst.
How is this medicine (DermaZinc Spray) best taken?
Use DermaZinc Spray (pyrithione zinc spray) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- If DermaZinc Spray (pyrithione zinc spray) gets in the eyes, rinse with cool water.
- Do not take DermaZinc Spray (pyrithione zinc spray) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, ears, and eyes (may burn).
- Put a thin layer on the affected part and rub in gently.
- Shake well before use.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad irritation where DermaZinc Spray (pyrithione zinc spray) is used.
What are some other side effects of DermaZinc Spray?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation where DermaZinc Spray (pyrithione zinc spray) is used.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out DermaZinc Spray?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat or open flame. Do not puncture or burn even if it seems empty.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about DermaZinc Spray (pyrithione zinc spray), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about pyrithione zinc topical
- Pyrithione Zinc Bar
- Pyrithione Zinc Cream
- Pyrithione Zinc Liquid
- Pyrithione Zinc Shampoo
- Pyrithione Zinc Spray
- Pyrithione Topical (Advanced Reading)