Curad Triple Antibiotic
Generic name: Bacitracin, Neomycin, and Polymyxin B (topical) [ bas-i-TRAY-sin, nee-oh-MYE-sin, & pol-i-MIKS-in-bee ]
Brand names: Curad Triple Antibiotic, Medi-First Triple Antibiotic, Neosporin Original, Triple Antibiotic First Aid, Triple Antibiotic
Drug class: Topical antibiotics
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Mar 18, 2023.
Uses of Curad Triple Antibiotic:
- It is used to avoid or treat skin infections.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Curad Triple Antibiotic?
- If you have an allergy to bacitracin, neomycin, polymyxin B, or any other part of Curad Triple Antibiotic (bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B (topical)).
- If you are allergic to Curad Triple Antibiotic (bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B (topical)); any part of Curad Triple Antibiotic (bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B (topical)); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Curad Triple Antibiotic (bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B (topical)) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Curad Triple Antibiotic?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Curad Triple Antibiotic (bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B (topical)). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Use care when putting on a large part of the skin or where there are open wounds. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not use longer than you have been told. A second infection may happen.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If Curad Triple Antibiotic (bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B (topical)) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Curad Triple Antibiotic (bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B (topical)) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Curad Triple Antibiotic) best taken?
Use Curad Triple Antibiotic (bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B (topical)) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
- Do not take Curad Triple Antibiotic (bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B (topical)) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Put a thin layer on the affected skin and rub in gently.
- The treated part may be covered with a dressing.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad skin irritation.
What are some other side effects of Curad Triple Antibiotic?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Skin irritation.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Curad Triple Antibiotic?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Curad Triple Antibiotic (bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B (topical)), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Curad Triple Antibiotic (bacitracin / neomycin / polymyxin b topical)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.