Generic Name: Cladribine Injection (KLA dri been)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 18, 2020.
- This medicine may lower the ability of the bone marrow to make blood cells that the body needs. If blood cell counts get very low, this can lead to bleeding problems, infections, or anemia. If you have questions, talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may cause kidney problems in some patients. Talk with the doctor.
- The chance of kidney problems may be higher if you are taking any drugs that can affect kidney function. There are many drugs that can do this. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- Very bad nerve problems have happened with cladribine injection. This includes not being able to move a part of the body (paralysis) that can be long-lasting. Call your doctor if you have any burning, numbness, tingling, or weakness in your arms or legs.
Uses of Cladribine Injection:
- It is used to treat a type of leukemia.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Cladribine Injection?
- If you have an allergy to cladribine or any other part of cladribine injection.
- If you are allergic to cladribine injection; any part of cladribine injection; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Kidney disease or liver disease.
- If you have any of these health problems: Hepatitis B, hepatitis C, HIV, or any other infection.
- If you have active TB (tuberculosis).
- If you take any drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) that must not be taken with cladribine injection, like certain drugs that are used for hepatitis C, HIV, or infections. There are many drugs that must not be taken with cladribine injection.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Cladribine Injection?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take cladribine injection. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- You may have more of a chance of getting an infection. Wash hands often. Stay away from people with infections, colds, or flu. Some infections have been very bad and even deadly.
- You may bleed more easily. Be careful and avoid injury. Use a soft toothbrush and an electric razor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are not up to date with all of your vaccines, talk with your doctor. You may need to have some vaccines before treatment with this drug.
- Talk with your doctor before getting any vaccines. Use of some vaccines with cladribine injection may either raise the chance of an infection or make the vaccine not work as well.
- If you have taken cladribine injection and you are getting a blood transfusion, talk with your doctor.
- Diarrhea, throwing up, upset stomach, and feeling less hungry are common with cladribine injection. If these happen, talk with your doctor about ways to lower these side effects. Call your doctor right away if any of these effects bother you, do not get better, or get very bad.
- Patients with cancer who take cladribine injection may be at a greater risk of getting a severe health problem called tumor lysis syndrome (TLS).This may lead to death. Call your doctor right away if you have a fast or abnormal heartbeat; any passing out; trouble passing urine; muscle weakness or cramps; upset stomach, throwing up, diarrhea, or not able to eat; or feel sluggish.
- Some products have benzyl alcohol. Do not give a product that has benzyl alcohol in it to a newborn or infant. Talk with the doctor to see if this product has benzyl alcohol in it.
- Use birth control that you can trust to prevent pregnancy while taking cladribine injection.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant. If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking cladribine injection, call your doctor right away.
How is this medicine (Cladribine Injection) best taken?
Use cladribine injection as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as an infusion into a vein over a period of time.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of infection like fever, chills, very bad sore throat, ear or sinus pain, cough, more sputum or change in color of sputum, pain with passing urine, mouth sores, or wound that will not heal.
- Signs of bleeding like throwing up or coughing up blood; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; blood in the urine; black, red, or tarry stools; bleeding from the gums; abnormal vaginal bleeding; bruises without a cause or that get bigger; or bleeding you cannot stop.
- Signs of kidney problems like unable to pass urine, change in how much urine is passed, blood in the urine, or a big weight gain.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- A fast heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
What are some other side effects of Cladribine Injection?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Muscle pain.
- Irritation where cladribine injection is given.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Cladribine Injection?
- If you need to store cladribine injection at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about cladribine injection, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the new drugs used for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
- How quickly does Mavenclad work?
- Does Mavenclad cause weight gain?
- Does Mavenclad cause hair loss?
More about cladribine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- 2 Reviews
- Drug class: antimetabolites
- Cladribine injection
- Cladribine Tablets
- Cladribine (Advanced Reading)
- Cladribine Intravenous (Advanced Reading)