Ciprofloxacin and Dexamethasone
Generic Name: Ciprofloxacin and Dexamethasone (sip roe FLOKS a sin & deks a METH a sone)
Brand Name: Ciprodex
Medically reviewed on July 4, 2018
Uses of Ciprofloxacin and Dexamethasone:
- It is used to treat ear infections.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Ciprofloxacin and Dexamethasone?
- If you have an allergy to ciprofloxacin, dexamethasone, or any other part of ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: Chickenpox, herpes infection, or viral infection of the ear.
- If you have a fungal infection of the ear.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Ciprofloxacin and Dexamethasone?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use longer than you have been told. A second infection may happen.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly allergic reactions have rarely happened with other forms of ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone as well as drugs like this one. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Ciprofloxacin and Dexamethasone) best taken?
Use ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
- For the ear only.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Warm suspension in hands 1 to 2 minutes before putting drops in ear.
- Shake well before use.
- Lie on your side with problem ear up.
- For children 3 years of age and older and adults, pull the outer ear outward and upward.
- For children younger than 3 years of age, pull the outer ear outward and downward.
- Put drops in ear without touching dropper to ear. Stay on side for 1 minute.
- Do not touch the container tip to the skin.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad ear irritation.
- A fast heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
What are some other side effects of Ciprofloxacin and Dexamethasone?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Ear discomfort.
- Ear pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Ciprofloxacin and Dexamethasone?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Protect from light.
- Throw away any part not used after treatment is done.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about ciprofloxacin/dexamethasone otic
- Ciprofloxacin/dexamethasone otic Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- En Español
- 43 Reviews
- Drug class: otic steroids with anti-infectives
Other brands: Ciprodex