Capsagel Extra Strength
Generic name: Capsaicin Cream, Gel, Liquid, and Lotion (kap SAY sin)
Brand name: Capsagel, Capsagel Extra Strength, Capsagel Maximum Strength, Capzasin, Capzasin-HP, ...show all 15 brand names.Capzasin-P, Castiva Warming, Theragen HP, Trixaicin HP, Zostrix, Zostrix Arthritis Pain Relief, Zostrix Diabetic Foot Pain, Zostrix Foot Pain Relief, Zostrix HP, Zostrix Sports
Drug class: Miscellaneous topical agents
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 7, 2020.
Uses of Capsagel Extra Strength:
- It is used to ease muscle and joint aches and pain.
- It is used to help diabetic nerve pain.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Capsagel Extra Strength?
- If you are allergic to Capsagel Extra Strength (capsaicin cream, gel, liquid, and lotion); any part of Capsagel Extra Strength (capsaicin cream, gel, liquid, and lotion); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you are using another drug like this one. If you are not sure, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Capsagel Extra Strength (capsaicin cream, gel, liquid, and lotion).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Capsagel Extra Strength (capsaicin cream, gel, liquid, and lotion) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Capsagel Extra Strength?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Capsagel Extra Strength (capsaicin cream, gel, liquid, and lotion). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use coverings (bandages, dressings) unless told to do so by the doctor.
- Avoid use of heat sources (such as sunlamps, tanning beds, heating pads, electric blankets, heat lamps, saunas, hot tubs, heated waterbeds). Avoid long, hot baths or sunbathing. Your temperature may rise and cause too much drug to pass into your body.
- Take Capsagel Extra Strength (capsaicin cream, gel, liquid, and lotion) off of the skin if very bad burning or itching happens.
- Use care when using on a large part of the skin. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not breathe in Capsagel Extra Strength (capsaicin cream, gel, liquid, and lotion) after it has dried. May cause nose or throat irritation.
- Some of these drugs may catch on fire. Do not use near an open flame or while smoking.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If Capsagel Extra Strength (capsaicin cream, gel, liquid, and lotion) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Capsagel Extra Strength) best taken?
Use Capsagel Extra Strength (capsaicin cream, gel, liquid, and lotion) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Capsagel Extra Strength (capsaicin cream, gel, liquid, and lotion) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- You may wear gloves when putting on.
- Do not put on irritated skin.
- Do not put on cuts, scrapes, or damaged skin.
- Do not bathe, shower, or swim right after putting on.
- Do not put on right after a shower or bath.
- If Capsagel Extra Strength (capsaicin cream, gel, liquid, and lotion) gets in the eyes, rinse with cool water.
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- Put a thin layer on the affected skin and rub in gently.
- If hands are treated, do not wash your hands for 30 minutes after you put on Capsagel Extra Strength (capsaicin cream, gel, liquid, and lotion). Do not touch your eyes, nose, mouth, genitals, irritated skin, or contact lenses until you wash your hands.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use Capsagel Extra Strength (capsaicin cream, gel, liquid, and lotion) on a regular basis, put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses or extra doses.
- Many times Capsagel Extra Strength (capsaicin cream, gel, liquid, and lotion) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Capsagel Extra Strength?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Burning or stinging feeling. Most of the time, this will go away after a few days.
- Skin irritation.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Capsagel Extra Strength?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat or open flame.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Capsagel Extra Strength (capsaicin cream, gel, liquid, and lotion), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Capsagel Extra Strength (capsaicin topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Drug class: miscellaneous topical agents
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.