I've been taking Xarelto for 6 months. Anyone have acute muscle and joint pain on this drug?

balbanese 24 Mar 2015

Yes, I had it and see this, it's lower on the list:

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/xarelto-side-effects.html

BethSJ 24 Mar 2015

Thanks for the response. I have read that muscle& joint pain is down on the list. That is why I'm doing my own research & survey. My pain has gradually worsened and is debilitating. If it gets worse it will be disabling. It's all over but most acute in my arms. Dr thinks sleep deprivation could be hindering muscles to heel. Could be but even when I get some sleep muscle pain can be worse at times. Need to hear from people who have taken it long term, and that isn't very long being as it's a newer drug. Thanks for any info.

BethSJ 24 Mar 2015

dudley4 21 Apr 2015

I am also experiencing severe muscle pain/fatigue in my arms and legs.
I have only been on Xarelto for 3 months.
I feel horrible and if the fatigue/pain gets any worse I will not be able to do even the smallest of things.
I feel as though it is a huge effort to even lift my arms or take a short walk...
Before this I was very active. I am thin and was athletic.
Currently I feel as if I am near death every thing is such an effort.
If I don't take this drug I am at a very high risk of stroke... so what is the answer ?
Before coming across this thread I thought my afib was getting worse and I was nearing death ( seriously that is how bad I feel)
Just on a lark I thought let me see if anyone had reported this as a side effect from Xarelto as this is the only thing different I am doing since feeling this way... low and behold there are others... maybe it is the Xarelto ???

BethSJ 23 Apr 2015

I am sorry for your pain and I identify with everything you said. The simplest things have become so difficult because of muscle pain. At least I know I'm not the only one. Maybe we're on to something with the Xarelto side effects. My quality of life has deminished as well.

Canary Tide 23 Jun 2015

I am having the exact same side effects from Xarelto. I too have be on this drug for three months and I have never had so much joint pain in my life. I feel exactly the way you do. I was a very active person with no health problems and just typing on the computer is painful. I have had several blood tests and only the uric acid level in my blood is elevated. This can cause joint pain but mine isn't that high and the doctor doesn't think I should be in this much pain. I have been on medicine to treat gout and after two weeks it is not working. I have given up all protein and I still am in pain. The pain is worse at night. My husband is a family practice doc and he thinks it could be caused from the xarelto. My hematologist says Xarelto is the best medicine on the market but I'm ready to try something else if I have to live like this.
I can't believe recovery from a pulmonary embolism can be this bad... maybe it is the Xarelto???

angelamaria 14 Aug 2015

Hi, I have been taking xarelto for three months and for the last two I have had excruciating pains in my knees and thigh and calf muscles. The pain is worse at night and is not relieved by the codeine I have been prescribed, cannot take ibuprofen because of xarelto, and also as I have AF. GP has sent me for xrays and physio-but neither have found a diagnosis. Having read posts on here I am sure now it is the drug causing it, so will see doctor next week and see if I can change, can't stop taking anticoagulant as am waiting for an ablation. I am so glad I found these posts- this level of pain is unbearable- and I feel so relieved that I may soon see an end to it!

gerryw 24 Dec 2015

I have just been prescribed Xarelto,on the third day I noticed swelling in my left hand. I take Xarelto, the lowest dose one tablet per day.
I noticed that the swelling and pain was increasing about 4 hours after I took the drug. I have not had gout for years so I know the symptoms, after the third day I was in extreme pain, my doctor carried out a blood test and my uric acid level was extremely high, he prescribed a drug which he said would lower the uric acid.The pain and swelling is subsiding but i noticed today that 4 hours after I took Xarelto the hand was swelling and becoming painful again.which leads me to believe that Xarelto raises uric acid levels. I have an appt with my doctor to discuss after Xmas

BethSJ 24 Dec 2015

I found some info on line about gout and Xarelto.
Seven months after getting off the drug I still have joint pain but it's not nearly as bad.
The drug is so new all of the side effects are still unknown.
I hope you find some answer and some relief.

aramanarao 28 Dec 2015

Hi. Xarelto works by binding proteins so that coagulation does not take place. So, if you have a history of gout or similar high protein intake illnesses, Docs would prefer to start 'recovery' from DVT with warfarin (which does not affect the protein content in your body). Suggest consult your Doc, who may switch your medication (to another anti-coagulant) with the prescribed change protocol.

leebranden 24 Apr 2016

I to have been suffering for sometime now with lower back and flank pain while taking Xarelto. I also have been suffering with posterior leg pain similar to severe sciatic pain