Skip to main content

I've been taking Xarelto for 6 months. Anyone have acute muscle and joint pain on this drug?

94 Answers

56ker60 25 Nov 2022

I have considered taking Xarelto but after the many complaints such as your, I decided it's not worth the risk. It did not used to have this side effect as far as I know, and I trust the people writing in here to know the truth about how they feel. Wishing you good luck on your journey. Read all these reviews and you will find your answers.

Missy L 23 Nov 2022

My Husband has factor 5 blood clotting disorder and has been on Xarelto after a third episode of blood clots. Since inception of taking Xarelto he has developed chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP).
Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP) is a rare disorder of the nervous system. Though your immune system generally keeps you healthy by fighting off germs, with CIDP, your immune system does not recognize parts of your nerves and attacks them.

Specifically, the immune system mistakenly attacks your nerves’ protective myelin. When the myelin is damaged or removed, messages transmitted to and from the brain are disrupted and may never make it to their final destination.

Over time, this may cause gradual weakness and a loss of feeling in your arms and legs.

Other symptoms may include, but are not limited to:

Tingling or numbness beginning in the toes and fingers
Weakness of the arms or legs
Loss of reflexes
Fatigue

My husband is on IVIG treatment's ( very costly) for this chronic disease that began since the inception of taking Xarelto.

Has anyone experienced this disorder due to Xarelto?

Please advise.

y-pain 14 Sep 2022

Beth : Your muscle fatigue will persist after discounting the drug. It disabled me to limited walking distance of 1/4 mile before total muscular fatigue. I have to wait about 3 to 5 minutes to recharge, and then am limited to about 1/8 th mile. My back is very, very weak and weight exercising is extremely difficult. Physically this drug has been devastating. I am attempting to take corrective action, however it has not re-established my physical abilities to near prior to taking Xarelto.

y-pain 11 Sep 2022

I took it for 3 months and complained to my Physician about excruciating muscle pain and weakness. It was so sever I could not stand nor get off of the floor. I finally refused to consume it!! I have been attempting to overcome the constant fatigue for the past 5 yrs, with limited results. It has devastated my life!!!

Bigfella 11 Sep 2022

I have been taking blood thinners for years, I suffer with chronic pain and discomfort and have reason to believe that Blood Thinning Medication is part of the problem because my pain got 10 times worse and at times unbearable, I started my research years ago coming up against a brick wall when trying to find out information from professional's. I have been through all the blood thinners including warfarin, my pain in my leg muscles and ankles joints increased, has anyone else had the same problem.

susann1224 11 Sep 2022

I had the same thing happen to me with Eliquis -- check the resources on Google and you will find the
same outcomes. I am now miserable with osteoarthritis and it is irreversible. I was taking it also for PE.
I asked oncologist if it would be safe for me to take Vitamin E along with ibuprofen and he took me off the Eliquis.

53Jennifer66 30 July 2022

I started Xarelto 2/22/22 because of a PE in lungs. 30mg for 2 or 3 weeks then 20mg until I demanded off of it on 7/12/22. I was sure it was Xarelto that has made me so sick and weak and pains throughout my body, barely able to walk. Of course I saw doctors who said Oh no Xarelto wouldn't cause this, Bull, why are they defending this Crap they are shoving down our throat. I continued with a Hematologist and he didn't think it was Xarelto either but recommended a Rheumatologist because of all my severe pain throughout my body. I feel every day is my last day, I just can't go on with my pain like this every day. This doctor (Hematoloist) did take me off the 20mg and I'm on Eliquis 5mg a day. Of course i have only improved somewhat but recently Blood work and EMG's scheduled for Aug.1 & Aug.3 because of pain. So will hopefully have some answers by 4th or 5th of August, 2022. Praying some how this can be reversed the damage it has done to me. I'm praying for sure. DON'T TAKE Xarelto.

53Jennifer66 30 July 2022

Kapuanani 10 Jan 2022

Would like guidance on supplements used as a blood thinner. I cannot take aspirin, so that's out.

Mmclallin 10 Jan 2022

Not sure check with your Dr. Sorry

adoptmeow 10 Jan 2022

I am allergic to warfarin/Coumadin and found that just one dose of Xarelto or Eliquis starts the horrid pain all over my body. It is a very distinct pain different than my fibromyalgia, polymyalgia rheumatica and arthritis.
I have researched comparisons of aspirin to these blood thinners. I chose to take 325 -500 mg aspirin each day along with Omega 3s, natural Vitamin E (not the synthetic dl-alpha), coenzyme Q10, resveratrol, magnesium and garlic. Would be glad to explain how to find reliable, safe supplements.
My specialist at Duke U Hospital thinks this is a good alternative. Also working on decreasing inflammatory foods, especially wheat, sugar and vegetable oils. I stopped margarine and artificial sweeteners a long time ago.

Indent 10 Jan 2022

I have been on Xarelto since 2012. The past year and a half I have had extreme pain in both legs and thighs, as well as sometimes in my back. I never thought about the Xarelto finally catching up with me. After reading some of these other comments on Xarelto I suspect it may be the medication.

gerryw 10 Jan 2022

I was prescribed xarelto after having had a stroke a few years ago within a few hours I was having a sever gout attack my hand was badly swollen & I was in severe pain. I went on to suffer severe joint pain for months sometimes I was on crutches. eventually i told my doc that I wasnt taking it any more so I was put on Warfarin This drug shouldn`t even be on the market in my view it cant have been properly tested or the side effects would have been realised years ago

jlseagraves 10 Jan 2022

When I was on Xarelto for a DVT I got gout every 6 weeks. As soon as it subsided after 1-2 weeks I would get it again in another body part. I went off after 6 months and no more DVTs and much less gout. Then on July 1, 2021 I went into aflutter and was put on Eliquis. I don't want to be on this but I do not get gout from it. I have been gout free for 6 months until I fractured by ankle bone and due to this got a flare. Maybe try Eliquis.

Mmclallin 10 Jan 2022

It took 5 months after stopping Xarelto that the severe leg pain went away. I was only on it 22 days. So thankful for this site where I found other peoples same experience. I just take 4 baby aspirin and a Pepcid every day and have had no more blood clots. Going on 2 years now. Good luck to you!

Lynette S S 10 Jan 2022

I have been on Xarelto for 18 months now , it was prescribed before that but I had to go off due to knee replacement surgery . Recently I have been getting severe cramps in my rib cage and my neck , so intense I thought at first I was having a heart attack . I also have been having a great deal of pain in my right thigh which I thought was caused by sitting on a step stool 3 weeks ago till I started having pain in the back of my thigh . After seeing other peoples reactions to xarelto I will see my Dr. to find out if this is from the xarelto and what can be done about it. I am also wondering if this is causing me to have chronic migraines now .

the3ws 30 Nov 2021

I’ve been taking it for almost 9 months and have told both heart doctors about my joint and muscle pain. Both told me I was nuts and that neither are side effects of the drug. I’m here to tell them and have told them they are full of crap. The joints that I have injured in the past hurts the worse. Basically it feels like a truck hit me and then backed up and ran over me again.