I was prescriped Effexor for sleep? Has anyone tried this?

itsmetoo2 7 Oct 2009

For many years Effexor has been used for sleep. What it does is calm you down so you can sleep. This is a drug has great outcomes and for long term use.

shadow2009 7 Oct 2009

When is the best time of day to take Effexor? This is day 2 for me and I am feeling jittery, The first night I took it I didn't sleep very well, I took it before bed.

itsmetoo2 7 Oct 2009

at bedtime: it has a sedative effect, you're asleep when it kicks in.
the morning: you might want to go back to bed!!!

If you are taking the XR Effexor just make sure you take it at the same time every day. As this is an extended release drug.

itsmetoo2 8 Oct 2009

Another question is why did your doctor not suggest a sleep study instead of giving you a pill? I would ask your doctor, Maybe you have something else that is going on and the doctor has just missed the mark.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/slpst/slpst_whatis.html

This came from the National Institute of Health

I am printing this out because I want others to read this. If there is a medical problem in your lack of sleep, you could die...

I suffer from Apena... and am being treated.

What Are Sleep Studies?
Sleep studies allow doctors to measure how much and how well you sleep. They also help show whether you have sleep problems and how severe they are.

Psyched 8 Oct 2009

Shadow2009,
I too am curious, but I wanted to know why your doctor just didn't prescribe you a medication strictly for sleep. There are some many out there. Anyway, good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

shadow2009 8 Oct 2009

Thanks everyone for your advice. This is day 3 on Effexor and things aren't going well, I have bad stomach problems. I was taking 75mg cut in half. Also I still am not sleeping through the night. I feel like I drank too much coffee, and I don't drink caffenie. Anyway, I have been taking Lunesta for about 2 years. I am still taking it, but I wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep, so I take another Lunesta. I am not working so I can sleep till 10:00. I want to be able to go to sleep at a normal time and get up feeling rested 8 hours later so I can go to work.

I was taking Elavil and slept well, except I gained 10 lbs in 6 months, I may have to go back to Elavil. I was hoping to find something to replace the Elavil. I also have night sweats because I am on tamoxifn. The night sweats seemed to have improved in the last 3 days. Any advice??