How many people using Pristiq have had hair loss and did they stay on it?

suzanne66 14 Jun 2010

Your question is not easily answered because not everyone who uses Pristiq and experiences hair loss will report it.
In fact hair loss is not a reported side effect of Pristiq.
See: https://www.drugs.com/sfx/pristiq-side-effects.html
If you are experiencing hair loss and are concerned you should see your doctor to find the cause.
https://www.drugs.com/health-guide/alopecia-areata.html

alias 23 Jun 2010

hi Lroos17, yes pristiq can cause hair loss. doctors all say that it is very rare and uncommon, but it does do this to some people. i started pristiq and not long at all after my hair started thinning and thinning. i keep taking it, thinking it would eventually stop, but it only got worse. after 5 weeks of taking it i felt on my head and it felt like nothing was there. yes, i had a huge bald spot on my head. i stopped it that day. my hair is still falling out even now, i guess it took five weeks to get in my system, so it's gonna take that long before it gets out of my system. doctors try to say that it's stress or my thyroid, but i had bloodwork done and everything was fine. stress has never made my hair fall out. it started right after i started pristiq. NO THANK YOU PRISTIQ!!!

LezlieCorya 17 Aug 2016

I started pristiq 5 months ago, and am having hair loss as well... I have NO HAIR ON TOP OF MY HEAD...

hlawler 27 Jan 2017

Did you stop the Pristiq? If so, did your hair grow back? I experienced extreme hair loss while on Pristiq; I got off of it but it's only been 3 weeks. My hair is still falling out, I know it can take months to start seeing new hair growth I just hope the hair loss isn't permanent.

W-I-L-L-O-W-44 17 Aug 2016

I started Pristiq in January 50mg. Switched to 100 mg in May as not noticing anything. I have not had that problem. But it still not really helping me. But have been on soooo many, that made me sick. This one at least doesn't do that...

jon3yn 17 Feb 2017

I have been on many SSRI's without much luck so my dr put me on Pristiq. Within a few days, my anxiety and depression improved dramatically. Everything was going fine for about 6 months and then my hair started falling out in handfuls. This lasted for about a month and then it slowed quite a bit but still falling out. The front of my hairline now has a little indentation where there is almost no hair. I can now see my scalp through the few hair follicles and I have about 1/2 my hair left. Not only did it fall out but the hair itself is actually thinner and not coarse and thick like it had been for 30 years. Also I feel the strain of having it in a ponytail and seems the root isn't as strong because it will come out when I am just trying to detangle it. I'm almost done tapering off but my anxiety is coming back. I am terrified to try anything else but I'm not sure it was the Pristiq. Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Carrascot15 3 Mar 2017

I have been on pristiq a few times. When I first started using pristiq I noticed my hair thinning I have very thick hair. I started using extensions to help my hair look fuller. When I stopped using extensions I thought it was the extensions causing breakage and my hair to be uneven. I had to get most of it cut off for it to become even. Then I stopped taking it and I noticed my hair started growing evenly. I'm on pristiq again and I haven't used extensions at all and i got it all cut off in July to my shoulders for it to be even so far the top of my hair just doesn't grow the length of the bottom. So it looks uneven almost like a mullet. Every time I go to the salon they want to cut it because it isn't even. The top is shorter and the bottom is long. I haven't dyed it or done anything to it but I usually like to wear my hair long but the sides aren't as long and it's not because it was layered or anything.