Pristiq - My 14 yr old son has commenced on 50mg Pristiq. Is it safe and effective in teens?

Rajive Goel 9 Aug 2012

Pristiq is a medication licensed for the treatment of depression. By blocking the reuptake of serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain, the drug can help improve symptoms. Pristiq, which is available by prescription only, comes in the form of an extended-release tablet, and is generally taken once daily.

Its a prescription only med, since the doc/pharmacist would have prescribed after assessing the condition of your teenaged son, guess the med would be safe & also effective.

Maybe if you have doubts you could try & seek a second opinion just to be more safe.

Take care, wish you best!

LaurieShay 9 Aug 2012

As is the case with any antidepressant therapy, there is increased risk of suicidal tendency with people under the age of 24. Just be aware and keep a close watch on your son. I have taken Pristiq for years and have found it to be a very effective medication. He may experience headache and nausea when he first starts taking Pristiq, but this will subside with continued use.

Anonymous 11 Aug 2012

Hello Mo42012. I agree with the two previous answers. My added thought would be side effects from taking the drug. But that aside he should be fine. Regards pledge