Hello, I am wondering why you gain weight on effexor. Is there a medical reason???

Anonymous 30 Nov 2012

Weight gain is not listed as a side effect, however changes in appetite or weight is listed:

Two aspects; depending on your metabolism, it can either increase your appetite therefore the weight gain or the contrary depending on how you organism reacts to Effexor.
Remember they are possible side effects, maybe you will experience them or maybe you will not.
In my case I take my fair share of medications, all of them have one thing in common as a possible side effect: increased appetite=weight gain, I am 44 male and have never experienced weight gain.

Effexor Side Effects

Metabolic side effects have included weight loss (3%).

A recent short-term study (6 weeks) has reported an average weight loss of 2 to 3 pounds in patients treated with venlafaxine.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/effexor-side-effects.html

Take care,

maso.-

Anonymous 30 Nov 2012

"The role of most antidepressants is still largely unknown, but some research suggests that antidepressants can affect metabolism. A study published in "L'Encephale" reviewed the past research on different psychotropic drugs and how they interact with metabolism. Researchers speculate that anti-depressants, including Effexor, might interfere with central nervous functions that regulate energy balance. The research also speculates that some anti-depressants decrease the resting metabolic rate. However, the researchers indicate that more studies need to be done on metabolism and anti-depressants to learn the exact role medication plays in the metabolic process."

Source: www.livestrong.com/article/522501-effexor-weight-gain-metabolism/

To lose the weight:

Perhaps (with a lot of will power) you could try eating a heart-healthy diet.

Krystal1771 22 Jun 2017

Antidepressants dont all come in the same class of SSRI family. Just bc Paxil and Effexor are SSRI's does not mean they are in the same SSRI family. Antidepressants vary depending on the family in the SSRI group. You should know that if you were diligent and knew the difference instead of just posting this several times. Be diligent and know that complete facts so ppl knew so they could check to see which family their meds come in within the SSRIs.

Pansy404 30 Nov 2012

The drug manufacturer will not admit there is weight gain with this drug, but I have read so much that people gain weight.

I know it does increase my appetite, and I find myself eating a lot of carbohydrates, which of course, makes me gain weight.

There may be a medical reason. I have googled this subject, and metabolism does seem to come into it. Some people gain on Effexor, others don't. I feel, however, that most people on Effexor are unhappy about their weight gain. I find it takes a lot of willpower to eat sensibly. That is the answer.

Anonymous 30 Nov 2012

To lose the weight:

Krystal1771 22 Jun 2017

I've absolutely NEVER EVER heard this at all and I've been on Effexor a couple times. Only 1% gain the rest lose weight. There has to be another med you are on that is causing the weight gain. Egg ex or xr and Prozac cause bigtime weight loss. I've looked online before replying and I haven't seen it anywhere except here. I have friends/family thats also on it and no weight gain only weightloss.

kittenkan 30 Nov 2012

With this medication it slows down ur metabolism which is why you gain weight on the medication

migrainesuf1166 18 Jan 2017

May I ask where you found this info?

Krystal1771 22 Jun 2017

I'd like to know the answer to this question too bc I've been on this med a couple times now and keep coming back to it bc not only has it helped w my issues but it helped me stay thin when other antidepressants didnt.

kaismama 30 Nov 2012

I too find I crave carbs. I have always liked sweets, but this is more a drive for it. I don't have an increased appetite, I just eat the wrong things. I have a heck of a time with my weight, however I always had to watch it, so how much is me and how much is the effexor I can't say.

Pansy404 30 Nov 2012

I am just the same as you. I tell myself to eat healthily, and do a lot of the time, then the craving for carbs comes, and I just have to satisfy it. I know I could lose weight if I really tried, but I have no willpower. But I say to myself I would rather be overweight then have the terrible depression and anxiety that I suffer if I do not take Effexor.

kaismama 30 Nov 2012

I agree with you on that one Pansy. I don't ever want to go back to the dark place again.

mom2ss 6 Sep 2015

Effexor has made me gain weight but I don't have cravings for sweets. I'm very limited to carb intake bc I'm allergic to grains.
I talked to my Dr about my weight and he agreed that it's the Effexor.
My problem is that I can't go back to having anxiety. Effexor is a nightmare to get off so I'm feeling trapped

smetkice 4 Mar 2017

Not true. It's slightly "nightmareish", but only for a month or so. I just did it a few months ago. No biggy.

MidwestPrincess 26 Apr 2017

I don't really believe that weight gain from this antidepressant is attributed to increase in appetite, nor do I believe this for any antidepressant. There is likely some medical reason behind it.

WildcatVet 26 Apr 2017

Antidepressants and other psychotropic drugs can, in a few people, affect the basal metabolism and fat storage mechanisms leading to weight gain that is unresponsive to diet/exercise.

lofton316 22 May 2017

Hi MidwestPrincess, I have experienced the same issue and I can't stand when people who haven't taking these drugs before or haven't had the same reaction say "its because your appitie has changed." That is not the cause, when I took Lexapro i didn't notice any weight gain but maybe i was not on it for that long, 6 months later i was switched to effexor and thats when the weight problems began, in 2012 when i first took it i was 150, at 2016 when I stopped I weighed 180, and a year later after stopping my weight stays around 189, i go up to 194 then it comes back down to 189, no matter what I do, exercise does not work, eating light healthy meals do not work, nothing seems to work, if stopped eating for 4 days to see if anything would change any i only lost 1 pound.

TJP-OBNJ 4 Aug 2017

I've been on effexor for several years. While I do agree it helps, first its not hard to quit, just ween ur self off in a month, month & an a half. For the ppl who gain weight. That makes ur blood pressure Go way up, so do ur selves a favor and walk around the block a few times. I'd hate to see someone on effexor die of heart disease.