What would be a good substitute for Lyrica?

Anonymous 19 Apr 2013

Cymbalta is used in the treatment of anxiety; chronic pain; depression; back pain; diabetic peripheral neuropathy (and more), and belongs to the drug class serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors.

Cymbalta is associated with the treatment of:

Back Pain
Chronic Pain
Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Savella is used in the treatment of fibromyalgia; reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome and belongs to the drug class serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors.

Click on the link for a list of medications:

Take care,

pickles503 20 Apr 2013

masso, I'm proud of you for the research you did on this question. Very thorough.

Anonymous 20 Apr 2013

Thank you very much Anna.

Have a fantastic weekend!

Your friend,

kaismama 19 Apr 2013

gabapentin is the closest med to lyrica. I take it instead of lyrica, I have too many side effects with lyrica.

lizzie4 19 Apr 2013

I am on Lyrica for TN, trigeminal neuralgia, and I feel I am getting dementia because of the lyrica, did you find that. '
What side effects do you get on gabapentin, may I ask what you took lyrica for. god bless

sara12345 20 Apr 2013

I also just got diagnosed with Trigeminal Nerve pain. How much Lyrica do you need to take to control the pain? I ask because the doctor prescribed me 75 mg capsules up to 3 times a day, but in the past I found myself feeling drunk from just one of the 75 mg dose. So I've been told to pour out some of the beads from the capsule, but I'm worried if that will treat the pain. My pain has gotten somewhat better temporarily, but times will change.

pickles503 19 Apr 2013

Hi there, bruce.

Wmbq 29 Mar 2017

Hi all,
I had tried Gabapentin and I had horrific nightmares with it. Had to stop taking it. Last night was my first dose of Lyrica (25 mg). I didn't like the way I felt and still feel dopey or drunk today. I have fibromyalgia but my Dr prescribed more to help me sleep. Cymbalta made my heart race.. I'm rather stuck..
Thank you!

lady2882 20 Apr 2013

I tried cymbalta for my back pain and it helped to start but then I had what is called Pain Rebound. I was in alot of pain and became very depressed.
The most recent findings according to the FDA is that cymbalta has only 50% rate of success when it comes to back pain.
I had to go off the cymbalta and that was another horror story for me as it is one of the hardest SSRIs to discontinue (also according to the FDA).
So please make sure you do your research before starting cymbalta.

pickles503 20 Apr 2013

Hi lady. I didn't know that about Cymbalta. I need to research it. Love ya my little Chickie.

lmfansler86 1 May 2013

I tried Lyrica. However, it not only made me gain weight but the gained weight made my Fibromyalgia pain worse. They tried me on a few others but Cymbalta seemed to help the most. Also they have me on Sulindac twice daily as well. The combined 2 prescription meds help but I also take supplements to aid in pain relief.

GP2017 18 Nov 2017

Even that my insurance covers a big part of Lyrica prescription it's still to expensive for me. I can't afford it. I used Gabapentin before Lyrica, didn't take care of my pain in my foot and back. I would like to a cheaper alternative, but as affective as Lyrica.

Peg57 26 Feb 2018

I have used Lyrica & Cymbalta for several years which relieves my hip & leg pain. They say I have peripheral neuropathy in both legs coming from my back. I have tried getting off the Lyrica & the horrible pain came back. My neurologist told me that Lyrica & Cymbalta work well together to control pain & it has. Now, the problem has come that the cost for me is so much more for 2018 than it was for 2017 due to Anthem changing the tier levels of my medications to higher levels. My Lyrica went from me paying a $25 copay with a discount card in addition to my insurance & now with both of those my part each month for just the Lyrica is $95.00. I can't afford that every month. I thought about taking it every other day, not sure what that would do to me. I just wish I could get off all this stuff but I can't & I don't want to live with the awful pain if I don't take the medications. I took Gabapentin in the beginning & all it did was make me so sleepy at work. I am now just using one 75mg tablet at bedtime day of Lyrica.

Dr SB 2 Jan 2018

Gabapentin is very close in structure and pharmacology to Lyrica ("pregabalin" is the generic name). Both are seizure medications - they slow nerve signals, and thus may dampen the sensation of pain. Both are commonly used for chronic nerve pain - from the pain after a shingles attack, for diabetic neuropathy, for sciatica-type pain, etc. Both tend to cause fatigue. Lyrica can cause weight gain. I had terrible headaches with gabapentin. My wife vomited for 12 hours after taking one dose of gabapentin. Lyrica can have bankruptcy as a side-effect - but it should be available as a generic starting sometime this year. We have very poor choices available when it comes to treating chronic pain. The move to restrict the use of opioid medications is good in some ways, but we don't have many alternatives! free discount card