What would be a good substitute for Lyrica?

Inactive 19 Apr 2013

Cymbalta is used in the treatment of anxiety; chronic pain; depression; back pain; diabetic peripheral neuropathy (and more), and belongs to the drug class serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors.

Cymbalta is associated with the treatment of:

Anxiety
Back Pain
Chronic Pain
Depression
Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy
Fibromyalgia
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Osteoarthritis

https://www.drugs.com/cymbalta.html

Savella is used in the treatment of fibromyalgia; reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome and belongs to the drug class serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors.

https://www.drugs.com/savella.html

Click on the link for a list of medications:

https://www.drugs.com/condition/fibromyalgia.html

Take care,

pickles503 20 Apr 2013

masso, I'm proud of you for the research you did on this question. Very thorough.
Anna

Inactive 20 Apr 2013

Thank you very much Anna.

Have a fantastic weekend!

Your friend,

kaismama 19 Apr 2013

gabapentin is the closest med to lyrica. I take it instead of lyrica, I have too many side effects with lyrica.

lizzie4 19 Apr 2013

I am on Lyrica for TN, trigeminal neuralgia, and I feel I am getting dementia because of the lyrica, did you find that. '
What side effects do you get on gabapentin, may I ask what you took lyrica for. god bless

sara12345 20 Apr 2013

I also just got diagnosed with Trigeminal Nerve pain. How much Lyrica do you need to take to control the pain? I ask because the doctor prescribed me 75 mg capsules up to 3 times a day, but in the past I found myself feeling drunk from just one of the 75 mg dose. So I've been told to pour out some of the beads from the capsule, but I'm worried if that will treat the pain. My pain has gotten somewhat better temporarily, but times will change.

pickles503 19 Apr 2013

Hi there, bruce.
I'm taking Gabapentin, and I think that's the closest med your going to get to Lyrica. This is strange because I asked a question a few days ago about Gabapentin vs Lyrica. Actually, most people(I'm not totally sure yet) seem to find that they have one problem or another with Lyrica, but the biggest issue with Lyrica is weight gain. They can both cause memory loss. There was a suggestion that Cymbalta would be a good alternative. That would be my preference. I'm facing this problem myself. My docs want to take me off Gab and put me on Lyrica. After hearing what our friends had to say about the side effects of Lyrica, I have big time reservations about switching. They want me to get off Gab because I'm having memory problems that may be caused by it. According to our friends, Lyrica causes memory loss, too.

Wmbq 29 Mar 2017

Hi all,
I had tried Gabapentin and I had horrific nightmares with it. Had to stop taking it. Last night was my first dose of Lyrica (25 mg). I didn't like the way I felt and still feel dopey or drunk today. I have fibromyalgia but my Dr prescribed more to help me sleep. Cymbalta made my heart race.. I'm rather stuck..
Thank you!

Leahnardo 12 days ago

Hi guys. I have been on Lyrica 150mg a day for four years. To treat chronic pelvic pain. It is the only drug that has given me any relief but I find myself having to decide if I can live with the side effects which include very poor circulation, numbness and pins and needles all over. My hair no longer looks healthy, I have pain in my ears that no one can diagnose, my teeth have developed cavities (I don't drink or smoke) I eat very healthy but have very suddenly put on lots of weight. I want to get off Lyrica but I can't deal with the pain. I feel for everyone in this position and hopefully something can be done. All advice welcome. Thanks

lady2882 20 Apr 2013

I tried cymbalta for my back pain and it helped to start but then I had what is called Pain Rebound. I was in alot of pain and became very depressed.
The most recent findings according to the FDA is that cymbalta has only 50% rate of success when it comes to back pain.
I had to go off the cymbalta and that was another horror story for me as it is one of the hardest SSRIs to discontinue (also according to the FDA).
So please make sure you do your research before starting cymbalta.

pickles503 20 Apr 2013

Hi lady. I didn't know that about Cymbalta. I need to research it. Love ya my little Chickie.

lmfansler86 1 May 2013

I tried Lyrica. However, it not only made me gain weight but the gained weight made my Fibromyalgia pain worse. They tried me on a few others but Cymbalta seemed to help the most. Also they have me on Sulindac twice daily as well. The combined 2 prescription meds help but I also take supplements to aid in pain relief.

GP2017 18 Nov 2017

Even that my insurance covers a big part of Lyrica prescription it's still to expensive for me. I can't afford it. I used Gabapentin before Lyrica, didn't take care of my pain in my foot and back. I would like to a cheaper alternative, but as affective as Lyrica.

Peg57 26 Feb 2018

I have used Lyrica & Cymbalta for several years which relieves my hip & leg pain. They say I have peripheral neuropathy in both legs coming from my back. I have tried getting off the Lyrica & the horrible pain came back. My neurologist told me that Lyrica & Cymbalta work well together to control pain & it has. Now, the problem has come that the cost for me is so much more for 2018 than it was for 2017 due to Anthem changing the tier levels of my medications to higher levels. My Lyrica went from me paying a $25 copay with a discount card in addition to my insurance & now with both of those my part each month for just the Lyrica is $95.00. I can't afford that every month. I thought about taking it every other day, not sure what that would do to me. I just wish I could get off all this stuff but I can't & I don't want to live with the awful pain if I don't take the medications. I took Gabapentin in the beginning & all it did was make me so sleepy at work. I am now just using one 75mg tablet at bedtime day of Lyrica.

Dr SB 2 Jan 2018

Gabapentin is very close in structure and pharmacology to Lyrica ("pregabalin" is the generic name). Both are seizure medications - they slow nerve signals, and thus may dampen the sensation of pain. Both are commonly used for chronic nerve pain - from the pain after a shingles attack, for diabetic neuropathy, for sciatica-type pain, etc. Both tend to cause fatigue. Lyrica can cause weight gain. I had terrible headaches with gabapentin. My wife vomited for 12 hours after taking one dose of gabapentin. Lyrica can have bankruptcy as a side-effect - but it should be available as a generic starting sometime this year. We have very poor choices available when it comes to treating chronic pain. The move to restrict the use of opioid medications is good in some ways, but we don't have many alternatives!