Gained 10 lbs in 2wks! I started both Elavil(amitryptiline)& Neurontin(Gabapentin)Which one is it?

janiebme 2 Feb 2016

Hi SheriA-
I can only speak for the amitriptyline. I have been on amitriptyline 20 mg for the past 2 months and it made me gain weigh but not as rapid as yours. I plan on getting off of it as soon as I am able. My thoughts are with you. Hope you find your answer:)

Nursenema 2 Feb 2016

Unfortunately, both can cause weight gain. Just try to stay as active as possible.

WildcatVet 2 Feb 2016

One, either, or both. If the weight gain is nor excessive, and 10lbs is not, you may have to opt for mental health and happiness over vanity.
I gained weight on some other medications and I love ever pound of it because I am happy, functional, and productive
Best wishes, WCV

jstacy55 3 Feb 2016

It's Elavil! Same thing happened to me in 1981! When I mentioned to my psychiatrist this last November that I slept so well with Elavil, maybe I could now? He answered that I probably would, but the unfortunate side effect would most likely be weight gain. I believe it cures your depression so effectively that your appetite increases? think I read that somewhere among my many many medical newsletters...

chuck1957 3 Feb 2016

SheriA; here are some uncommon/ Rare side effects on Gabapentin(((unexplained weight loss***
voice changes
vomiting
weakness or loss of strength

Kittyinct 8 Feb 2016

Hi Sheri,

WildcatVet 8 Feb 2016

Both drugs are reported in the PDR as having a very slight potential to cause weight gain (Gabapentin 2.9% and Elavil 3.8% of users).
Of course those figures are not of much comfort if you happen to be in those percentile groups. :-(