Is gabapentin prescribed for arthritis?

kaismama 27 Mar 2013
alinajagger 28 Mar 2013

Gabapentin, brand name drugs include Neurontin and Gabarone, is an anticonvulsant used to treat nerve pain and seizures. Gabapentin is also used in adults to manage a condition called postherpetic neuralgia, which is pain that occurs after shingles.
So it is not used for arthritis.

pipsoldgirl 28 Mar 2013

I have RA. I also have a herniated disc in my neck. My GP prescribed Gabapentin for the neck - It has greatly reduced all my pain and I am continuing to take it. It is prescribed for nerve pain and often for fibromyalgia, it is an anticonvulsant but is used frequently to treat chronic pain

Jmnewbold 17 Aug 2017

Gabapentin works in the brain to prevent seizures and relieve pain for certain conditions in the nervous system. It is not used for routine pain caused by minor injuries or arthritis. Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant.

altamont03 3 Nov 2018

I have both fibromyalgia and osteo-arthritis. I am finding that gabapentin seems to relieve the arthritis pain in one shoulder, one hip and my neck which has a fused vertebrae from birth.

I recently suffered a fall and since my doctor won’t prescribe a course of naproxen-EC, which is the only NSAID I can take, that I must resort to 200mg of gabapentin at night and 100 mg during the day. Does this make any sense?

Has anyone else with both fibromyalgia and osteo-arthritis had this experience?