Which pill is better for someone suffering neuropathy? Gabapentin or Lyrica?

29 Answers

kaismama 12 Mar 2013

I have taken both. I found that the Lyrica had too many side effects for me and was way too expensive. I take gabapentin and its as good if not better then the lyrica. Way cheaper too.

mytee12005 30 May 2013

Thank you. How many milligrams of Gabapentin do you take a day?

lfvnash 15 Feb 2017

i have taken gabapentin and it does not seem to hellp. makes me talkative, eneregic ANd i lose my balance, dizzy

Wvrebel 13 Aug 2017

I take gabapentin 240 a Month at 300 mg. And I think it's way to many and I want to try lyrica to c if I CD take less of them but work as good as all the gabapentin I take??

Wvrebel 13 Aug 2017

DCBob 17 Mar 2018

My insurance company stopped paying for Oxycontin in 2018, which worked so well in eliminating severe pain in my feet. However, another brand of oxycodone extended release capsules is still covered and works just as well. It's Xtampza ER 27 mg twice a day. Ask your doctor about it. I can't take Lyrica or gabapentin, because of their severe side effects. The most dangerous one was fainting without warning.

badboyz8 27 Sep 2019

Gabapentin had me the same way was so dizzy and lightheaded had to go emergency room thought I was gonna faint. My legs were unstable which wasn’t good cause I am on blood thinners why is good to take for nerve pain any suggestions

pickles503 12 Mar 2013

I know that Gabapentin works great for neuropathy. I take 2400 mg. and it works wonders. I don't have very much pain during the night, which was a real problem for me. If you have to work, it makes me a little drowsy, so take it on a weekend or early in the evening, so you don't have a groggy feeling in the morning.

I haven't taken Lyrica, but I understand it's a good medication. The next med that the docs want me to try is Lyrica. I've been on Gabapentin for over 2 years and unless I have to, I don't want to change.

As I understand it, Lyrica increases appetite, weight gain and drowsiness.

Lyrica causes some people to have suicidal thoughts. (This is probably common in a lot of meds we take) The cost of Lyrica is more. Some insurances pay $10 every two weeks with insurance for Gabapentin, and $30 a mos for Lyrica with insurance. I think they both cost about the same, but from what I've found out, Lyrica is definately more expensive. I'm not sure if that's an issue for you, yet it is for so many people.

I pray you find the right medication. It's really difficult sometimes. We're here, so you won't be alone if a med doesn't work or does.

leslie1947 30 May 2013

I'm about to start Lyrica. Does anyone know if Medicare pays for this drug?

mytee12005 2 Jun 2013

At this point, I discontinue the Lyrica for it was making me too drowsy and made me gaim weight. I also discontinue the Cymbalta for it gave me stomach pain something like gastritis. I'm taking 1200mg of Gabapentin but I still get the numbness and burning sensation on my hands and this is very painful. I need to ask my doctor if I should take more but as it is it makes me a little drowsy but I need to get rid of this pain and fast for it is unbearable, I find using ice a little helpful.

mytee12005 13 Jun 2013

I'm bak to Gabapentin. Neither Lyrica nor Cymbalta did me good and yes, you're right they boyj increased my appetite and have made me gain weight. Do you know if insulin can make
you gain weight?

mytee12005 13 Jun 2013

Yes, medicare does pay for Lyric, provided that is medically necessary.

Inactive 14 Jun 2013

Yes, I have heard that insulin causes you to crave sugar and, in turn, leads to weight gain. My doctor is holding off adding insulin to me medications for that very reason. I don't know -

wareagle43 18 Jun 2013

You can take 2400 mgs of gabapentin but it makes me drowsy and dizzy and makes me have less balance. What I do is take about 1200 mg snd you need to get on oxyxodone hcl I take 90 mg a day and it works great and I almost feel normal quite a bit of the time. By the way my neuropathy is in my feet and legs which really sucks but that is the way it is. You need to find an understanding and compassionate Doctor I would not use the pain clinics because the pain clinics that I have been to treat you like cattle and always give you less pain medication than you need. I have been to 4 different ones and they were all the same but you might have better luck. There is no sense in being in pain all the time when there medications out there that will stop it. Sure there are side effects but everything you take has side effects. So why not get some quality time for yourself.

wareagle43 18 Jun 2013

I would not change if you do not want to I take gabapentin and it helps but I still need a narcotic on top of it to stop the pain and give me some energy in my legs and feet. I took Lyrica and could not even tell I took it. Good luck

nesbitt 5 Sep 2017

More may work for you but 1800mg of gabapentin does not stop my hand or foot pain enough.I have been on it for 15 months except for a brief time that I wanted to cut out some of my meds.I read here that Lyrica causes weight gain,well,I have gained 30 pounds in the last 15 months.I gain weight when given steroids but I lose it with my diet.I was given heavy doses [steroids] while in the hospital so I blamed the steroids but now think it may be the gabapentin.

patcee14 24 Jan 2018

I have gained 11 pounds in two weeks on gabapentin. I tried ibuprofen (for sciatic nerve pain) but learned it is not for those with heart failure. It worked as well as the gabapentin. I am so tired of dealing with these drugs and their side effects, I would rather try physical therapy but it looks like my doctor is going to try everything before giving me the go-ahead. I tried hydrocodone but can't function with the drowsiness.

nesbitt 18 Mar 2018

Lyrica causes weight gain? I was put on 2400mg gabapentin 2 years ago and gained 30 lbs in the 1 st 3 months.I could not get enough to eat!! I still stagger around the house like a drunk.This is scary for me as I am alone much of the time and I am 69.

MacIntosh12 14 Mar 2013

I've tried both and I was very allergic to Lyrica, yet I am able to take gabapentin. I have some major cognitive side effects from Gabapentin (Neurontin), my memory is affected, and I must hunt for words, it's just blown my vocab out of the water. But it helps a bit with my severe nerve pain.

Best wishes to you.

cupcake7667 15 Mar 2013

Hi!!! I was on lyrica and sure enough in two days I had blurred vision and muscle constrictions. Blech! Talk to you tomorrow.
XO

MacIntosh12 9 May 2013

HI, sweet Cupcake!
Did you get hives from Lyrica, or cankles?
I need to email you, will do asap.
Love to you, my buddy!

sandynx820 12 Jun 2013

Woah... so excited to read your post. I have been on Gabapentin for several years and it is a Godsend for me for so many reasons except that my short term memory is sooo impaired! Not only have I "lost my words" but have trouble remembering things I did and conversations I had just a few weeks ago. I am on 300mg 3 times a day. For the first 18 months I would skip the middle of the day dose but then my night time symptoms started returning so now I take all three. I need to up my dose a bit more but am concerned with the memory loss and weight gain. My doctor says "THESE ARE NOT SIDE EFFECTS!!! "

mytee12005 13 Jun 2013

I've found that Gabapentin works better for me however, I'm only taking 900mg per day and do believe it's not enough mg. Today I'm going to my neurologist to find out the neuopathy test results I had done on my hands which are the ones that bother me the most. What I feel is a burning sensation that starts on the sole of my feet the goes up to the side of both of my thighs but this is not all the time but the one on my hands is constant and it does bother me a great deal. Let's see what the results are. Will keep you posted.

MacIntosh12 14 Jun 2013

Hi Sandy,
I think you and I are in the same boat, girl! My vocabulary used to be rich, but now it's just trashed! I can't even recall movies I've already seen, my memory is that bad.
I can't even believe that your doc told you that those weren't side effects!! They most certainly are. What is his/her explanation of your memory loss and word hunting, if not for gabapentin? Unbelievable!
Lara

Bet389ye 24 Aug 2016

The biggest two reasons I would like to find an alternative to Gapapentin are: First - weight gain. I am not a large eater and I still gain weight which makes me anxious about it. Second is the memory issue.

Barbara Kay Williams 20 Dec 2018

Thank you, I have really painful post -surgical neuropathy (major spine surgery ). I'm trying to find something that will help.

Inactive 15 Mar 2013

I've tried both, and Cymbalta. The Gabapentin caused problems with my speech - it was like I had a word on my tongue but couldn't say it to save my life! I'm on Lyrica now, and once my body adapted to the sleepiness it has worked well for me. Cymbalta and Savella also help with nerve pain, so you may want to check those as well. Good luck!

pickles503 30 May 2013

Eliza, that was a good answer.

mytee12005 13 Jun 2013

Definitely Cymbalta is not for me but I haven't tried the other one. The Gabapentin although it's used by people with epilepsy, it has proven that it worked for nerve pain however I'll have to see what the dosage is because I use 900mg per day and I'm still getting lots of pain. Gabapentin is way cheaper that any other ones.

Inactive 14 Jun 2013

Hi Mytee - 900 mg/day is not a large dose of Gabspentin - I've seen people at 3600 mg before. How they walked and talked I have no idea. Often you have to try Gabapentin before insurance will let you try the others because they are much more expensive. - EJ23

Inactive 14 Jun 2013

Thanks Pickles - good to see you! - EJ23

grahamanswerth 21 Nov 2016

Gee. I'd forgotten that I was already a member. I am taking 2x300 mg of Lyrica and still my feet and lower back hurt, and I am sleepy and I find my hands and fingers shake. As I'm typing, this morning's Lyrica is wearling off, so the typing is easier. Sometimes, I need another 300 mg during the day; however, the sleepiness is terrible. I find as if I am in la la land... sort of dream like. I hate the neuropathic pain in the toes and feet and know that the neuropathy is not poor life-style choices as from about 1980, I ran up to 35 km a week in mountainous terrain... I live on a plateau in Victoria Australia. I thought i was bullet proof being so fir, but no, I had a minor heart attack plus atrial fibrillation and a 90% blocked coronary artery which required a stent. My spinal professorial neuro surgeon has examined extensive X rays and MRI scans of my lumbar region and there is only mild damage..

a narrowing of the region where the nerves thread through to the lower body, and gave me a regime of walking on a treadmill initially at 5 minute episodes and one hour laying on ones back after each walk. The target is 4x20 minutes. So far, I can reach about 3 x 13 minutes but gee, it wrecks me. I am so tired and my legs and feet ache and ache. So much for his ideas. They probably work but the walks are defeating me. Today, I supermarket shopped and promptly laid the driver's seat back and slept for an hour. Iwas so tired. I will be seeing a pain clinic( fingers crossed after reading this) and an exercise clinician, myotherapy based( ie muscles relaxing in the back as well as strengthening the core body to support the spine and discs etc. As I said, my back isn't wrecked, but God, I am. Even suicidal... Lyrica perhaps? What can I do. What options, legsl or otherwise are avaialble. I am 74 years young and have the means to travel overseas. Not much fun if one can't enjoy oneself, and be in constant pain. It would be a pain free life if i sat on comfortable chairs or sleep on comfortable beds. Then I'm pain free but you can't live your life in bed. Any ideas???

tmystr 31 Mar 2013

I too have taken both having severe neuropathy in my feet and fingers. Lyrica 300mgs 3x a day but like alot of people say,weight gain. I gained 40 lbs in 1 year,only side effect I had. Gabapentin,now I take 300mgs 4x a day,not quite as strong as Lyrica(a close second) with no side effects.I have heard memory and speech problems and a few others. Remember everybodys body is different so they effect people not all the same. best of luck

deeds1v 5 May 2013

I took Gabapentin 300mg. I hallucinated wildly, had to stop.

pickles503 14 Jun 2013

Hi deeds. I've heard that Gabapentin causes Hallucinations a few times before. Hmmm Interesting

uitius 26 Dec 2019

I take gabapentin 3000/day and have never hallucinated but I am on two antipsychotics to prevent that. :D

bamamichelle78 6 May 2013

My boyfriend takes Lyrica it makes a world of differnce he can tell when he dont take it cause his feet hurt bad

fastcarbon 7 May 2013

Your doctor should allow you to try each. Gabapentin caused my brain to be confused and not be able to carry on a complex discussion. I could not take it and work. I take Lyrica which causes less confusion but just as gabapentin did I am unstable on my feet and must use a cane with either. I have post-surgical neuropathy.

auntniknik 7 May 2013

I have tried both, also, and had much better results with Lyrica with no side effects after 3 days. The first few nights it made me a little drunk feeling, but that went away shortly. No trouble at all since.

MacIntosh12 7 May 2013

Hi Auntniknik, I've not seen you in ages! Did you drop off the edge of the world my friend? Glad to see you back!
Your friend,
Lara

mytee12005 13 Jun 2013

May be since I tried Lyrica 150mg 3 times per day was not enought but it did increased my appetite and made me a little sleepy.

Khrissy 2 Aug 2017

I have nerve damage in feet (tingling), from chemo & radiation. I was on gapapentin 300 mg 3x daily & it made me sleepy all day, with no relief. Now I'm on Lyrica with still no relief. I always have to wear socks, even to bed. Guess I will never wear sandals again.

kazza 123 9 May 2013

hi i have been taking lyrica for over a year ,it takes a while to get into your system but it takes the severeness out of the pain but leaves me drowsy and can't think properly sometimes but i am way better on it then off it. i haven't tried gabapentin as yet

MepoMom 9 May 2013

I've taken both and I prefer gabapentin a lot more than Lyrica! I have a sensitive digestive system and Lyrica caused me a lot of stomach issues. I only take 300mg of Gabapentin in the morning and afternoon and then take 900mg at night. That way it helps me sleep and helps the pain throughout the day.

mytee12005 13 Jun 2013

How many hours before you go to sleep do you take the 900mg dosage of Gabapentin?

Rhondakat 7 Mar 2018

I take 300mg gabapentin 3x a day. Since I've read some of these post. I take a lot of meds for many health issues. Most they can only treat the symptoms. I get hyper along with chronic fatigue I'm miserable. Bottled up energy and can't get it out. I wondered about lyrica but I don't want to gain weight. But still having pain from FM . I also take Norco 4x a day. Nothing seems to help. I don't know what to do. I dream of steady energy to go out and do things pain free. I dream of a good night sleep. I feel trapped in this useless body giving me a useless life. I don't know what to do, every thing I try doesn't help. Sign... Hopeless!!

Czimmer54 16 Mar 2018

I've been on Gabapentin for six months and gained 20 pounds. So if you don't want to take Lyrica because of weight gain, you'll have the same side effects with Gabapentin.

Rhondakat 16 Mar 2018

So gabapentin can help you sleep better? I take it in the morning then again around noon or 1pm and again around 6 or 7pm. I'm thinking to take the last one later, more close to bedtime. Maybe I'll sleep better. I've been getting really bad cramps or spasms. My ribs feel like they over lap each other and get stuck there. Iit goes away but it hurts so bad. Same thing in front below down by my hip. I got a lump on my rib . They said it's FM. I don't know if this gabapentin is working. I never get relief from pain. It's always there. I guess maybe it dulls the pain some for a little while . But omg what it would feel like to be pain free for even a day. That'd be nice lol

empty pockets 1 Jun 2013

I have neuropathy real bad. I have taken Gabapentin at 2000 mg a day and it did nothing. I was told that lyrica was in the same family as gabapentin. My doctor put me on amitriptyline 100 mg at night and it did wonders. It is normaly used for depression but it also worked for me.Actually it did both when I quit hurting I wasn't so depresed about it.

debhill67 15 Jun 2013

I've also taken Gabapentin 400mg 3 times a day it really did'nt help much before that I was on Lyrica 150 Mg 3 times a day too many side effects now I'm on the Amitriptyline 100 Mg at night and 100 Mg in morning I feel a little drowsy in a.m. so I try to wait until lunch yo take it. It seems to be helping Thank God. Hope this was helpful to someone and there not expensive.

HerculeswendyDell 18 Nov 2017

Dear empty pockets, how long have you been on the Amitriptyline at this dose before it started working? Has it gotten less or more effective the longer you have taken it? Was this your starting dose? Did you try anything before this? Do you only take throne, 100 mg dose a day? Sorry for all the questions but thanks for any answers.

AfternoonDelight 3 Jun 2013

I have taken both Gabapentin and Lyrica. I found out the hard way that the Lyrica gave me seizures. So, for me the Gabapentin is a better choice. They are indeed weaker but still work well. You may not have the "allergy" to Lyrica that I had that caused the seizures, but you never know!

mytee12005 13 Jun 2013

I rather not, you don't fool around with your brain. I think that if my doctor increases the dosage of Gabapentin, it could do me good for I'm already used to it and don't feel as drowsy but it makes me a little sleepy.

mytee12005 15 Jun 2013

MY DOCTOR NOW PUT ME ON GABAPENTIN 300mg AS ONE, ONE AND TWO AT BEDTIME.

Factfinder411 11 Jun 2013

You shouldnt limit yourself to just two different meds. Not everyone is the same and there are many different kinds of nerve pain medications.

JLeigh7 26 Aug 2016

gabapentin and Lyrica are both horrible meds to take. These medications are actually anti-seizure medication. While trying to develop a medication for seizures they realized that the side effects of slowing down one's brain was that they could not feel their feet. While many people believe that these medications are working they are actually only masking the pain while your neuropathy continues to grow worse. There are clinics out there that can help stop the progression of neuropathy without using medications or surgery. Please check out the website optimalhealthca.com. Educate yourself on how to effectively treat neuropathy in a non invasive way.

Jessebird 29 May 2017

Thank you for your post because of you I registered for this website to tell you thank you! I have been in excruciating pain 24 hrs a day, all I do is look for a cure formy pain. I don't want to dumb myself down with drugs or get fatter after lossing 60 lbs this year that was hard work! I have had such a hard road and can't believe that anyone can be in this much pain! I thought that after I got my large intestine removed for stomach issues I would be better but no, than my gallbladder, but no. Than on top of my stomach problems I have nerve pain everywhere! I have arthritis. I have connective tissue disease (Lupus), Addison's disease, and so much more. I just wish I could erase my problems and be healthy, I don't even know how this happened to me. Thank you for the information!!! I pray that everyone on here finds relief from their pain.

rebbie1965 24 Jun 2017

I am stopping my gabapentin I am only up to 500 mg a day and I cannot take the muscle aches in my legs anymore. My legs constantly feel like they are on the verge of trying to cramp up. My low back pain from spinal stenosis feels like it has gotten much worse in the 5 weeks I have been on this. My sciatica pain is just masked when I am on this medication. for the first week I thought it was a miracle drug, I felt pretty good a little tired and then the muscle spasms and aches set in. I was thrilled to be able to get a full nights sleep when I started this medication however that did not last, after 2-3 weeks my sleep patterns are back to normal and I am up every time I need to turn over. Just not worth it to keep taking this medication.

sandynx820 2 Aug 2017

I have a new spinal specialist and he HATED the fact that I was on 1800 mgs of Gabapentin. He said it was a terrible drug and wanted me off of it! He helped me wean off of it by using turmeric, going for physical therapy, and changing my diet completely... I have got to admit, withdrawal was pretty bad... I thought I would never sleep again, and my leg and back pain escalated for a while. Its been 7 months now and I sleep better, but still have intermittent leg pain at night, but nothing I can't handle. Lower back still bothers me (stenosis) but when I remember to do stretches each day it lessens! I have also lost 40 pounds and all of my labs have greatly improved! I hope to Never use Gabapentin again!

Redkitty 19 Aug 2017

Been on Lyrica for several years now and experience burning hands and feet also nerve pain in left leg day and night..cramping occasionally in the same leg and toes..wondering if these are side effects and should stop taking it..