Does Buspar cause weight gain/ lowering metabolism as side affect?

Anonymous 27 Jun 2011

Weight gain is not listed as a possible side effect:

BuSpar

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using BuSpar:

Blurred vision; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; lightheadedness; nausea.

onmyway72 27 Jun 2011

Thanks! Just wondering if any groups of people experienced weight gain on Buspar. I experienced weight gain on Lexapro and hated it, so hoping I can get the benefits of this med without the frustration of feeling heavy.

Anonymous 27 Jun 2011

Well, I also hope you do not experience any weight gain, and you are welcome.-

Addydawn 20 Jan 2017

It makes me hungry all of the time. It does work on anxiety. I just have to make sure that I don't overeat and that I walk often.

Christmyworld 23 Feb 2017

OK understand

G Mc 24 Feb 2017

Hi Onmyway: It's a possibility that buspar could cause you to gain weight. But ask yourself this question: Are you taking any other meds along with buspar, and could the weight gain possibly be a result of one of your other medications? It gets confusing when more than one medication is being taken as to which one is causing a weight gain problem.

Betrothed 29 Apr 2017

I've taken Buspirone for very short periods of time (1 - 2 weeks at a time max) maybe once or twice a year off & on for 20 years with no weight gain affect. However, I have now taken it daily for 3 months and am wondering why I have a distended & bloated stomach & abdomen despite a much increased workout & walking regimen for the same time frame. My legs and arms are toned, whereas my mid-section is unusually distended despite daily core exercises. I found this question listed on the website as I was researching the side effects of Buspirone for potential weight gain since I've never had a weight problem, I've never before had "basketball belly" and I have not introduced any other drugs to my routine lately. My personal answer to the question posed would be; "Yes, it would be my non-clinical, end-user opinion that continued use of Buspirone appears to cause weight gain, a bloated feeling and a much distended mid-section".