Does Buspar cause weight gain/ lowering metabolism as side affect?

Inactive 27 Jun 2011

Weight gain is not listed as a possible side effect:

BuSpar

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using BuSpar:

Blurred vision; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; lightheadedness; nausea.

onmyway72 27 Jun 2011

Thanks! Just wondering if any groups of people experienced weight gain on Buspar. I experienced weight gain on Lexapro and hated it, so hoping I can get the benefits of this med without the frustration of feeling heavy.

Inactive 27 Jun 2011

Well, I also hope you do not experience any weight gain, and you are welcome.-

Addydawn 20 Jan 2017

It makes me hungry all of the time. It does work on anxiety. I just have to make sure that I don't overeat and that I walk often.

Christmyworld 23 Feb 2017

OK understand

Baron 7 Nov 2017

I have been taking Buspar for about 3 weeks and I stay hungry.

G Mc 24 Feb 2017

Hi Onmyway: It's a possibility that buspar could cause you to gain weight. But ask yourself this question: Are you taking any other meds along with buspar, and could the weight gain possibly be a result of one of your other medications? It gets confusing when more than one medication is being taken as to which one is causing a weight gain problem.

Betrothed 29 Apr 2017

I've taken Buspirone for very short periods of time (1 - 2 weeks at a time max) maybe once or twice a year off & on for 20 years with no weight gain affect. However, I have now taken it daily for 3 months and am wondering why I have a distended & bloated stomach & abdomen despite a much increased workout & walking regimen for the same time frame. My legs and arms are toned, whereas my mid-section is unusually distended despite daily core exercises. I found this question listed on the website as I was researching the side effects of Buspirone for potential weight gain since I've never had a weight problem, I've never before had "basketball belly" and I have not introduced any other drugs to my routine lately. My personal answer to the question posed would be; "Yes, it would be my non-clinical, end-user opinion that continued use of Buspirone appears to cause weight gain, a bloated feeling and a much distended mid-section".

BRAEMAR100 6 Jun 2017

Thank you for your post I am so glad that I came across it I am having the same problem and I thought I was losing my mind

Beethoven1 7 Jun 2017

I have also experienced basketball abdomen with weight gain . This med overall caused me anxiety and I feel much better off it . Of course it's all about body chemistry so if it works for you that is awesome.

laurenmariet 10 Aug 2017

I tend to disagree. Yes, the side effects do not state they cause weight gain but the one side effect of feeling tired seems so horribly overwhelming at times that you become lazier than usual which in time causes weight gain.

WildcatVet 5 Dec 2017

"Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Weight gain, weight loss"
The medication affects the metabolism of <1% of all users... causing either weight gain OR weight loss.

Missourihoney 25 Sep 2017

I have been on it 2 years and am bloated and fat in the middle .. stomach .. back.. I have been on other anxiety meds.. never had a weight issue till this one.. it does make you gain weight 20 freaking pounds ... I have read many places on the internet people having the same issue .. I’m done using it.. not worth it if I wind up with weight health issues.

FeliciaA 30 Nov 2017

I am on buspirone for about a month i have also noticed weight gain in the mid section and back, i do excercise and eat healthy. Is this normal?

Cbasil 5 Dec 2017

So does Buspar cause weight gain or weightloss? I have read that it causes both. I am assuming it depends on the age of a person and their metabolism??

WildcatVet 5 Dec 2017

"Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Weight gain, weight loss["

Yes, it can go either way depending on your individual metabolism's reaction to the medication... and everyone will react differently.
Note that it is an uncommon side effect affecting <1% of all users...
I've been taking buspirone for over 4 years with no effect on my weight at all.
Regards, Wildcat

Pamadair104 16 May 2018

This medicine stinks!!! It's like being prescribed "Penicillin" for a tooth ache in the 70's!!!
Stomach BLOATING is Terrible!!!
I look pregnant and I've never been pregnant!!! My blood pressures increased writing this!

Jduke101 25 Mar 2018

I started taking it a while ago for about a month in a half then went off of it thinking it wasn’t working that well for anxiety. I should have tappered off of it because it gave me more anxiety so I decided it must have been working and decided to Start taking it again.

Napinka 15 Apr 2018

Buspar is terrible for weight gain. I take 100mg a day, and in one year have gained 70 pounds.

Yes the lethargy causes you to unproductive and lazy, however I have never had anything that made me question if I had a tumour growing in my body. My stomach is so huge and distended, and I have a gastric sleeve. So it is not due to my caloric intake. It’s in my opinion due to the Buspar.

I am so glad I decided to google it. This many people can’t be wrong. All having the same issues. And when I went to my journal, I started it in May last year. That’s when the weight gain started.

The benefits don’t outweigh the negative for me. I’m tapering off today. Wish me luck.

Pamadair104 18 Apr 2018

Thank God I found this website. I was given this p.o.s. prescription and I feel absolutely miserable!!!
My stomachs big and I feel hungry and very bloated! I can't look at myself because I feel terrible! Shame on you doctors who prescribe this! My anxiety and blood pressures through the roof!!!

Napinka 19 Apr 2018

Hi Pamadair104. Isn’t it just horrible with the weight gain? I couldn’t believe how much weight I put on and would have continued. I am off it 100 percent now for 3 days and I can actually feel the difference. I hope you can feel better soon too.

buppityboop 9 May 2018

Hi guys, can anyone tell me what they've experienced after coming off of this drug? Did you get your body back and feel good again? Thanks!