User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Review Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 27 medications used in the treatment of Sedation.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Sedation

"I just started this medication a few months ago to get off klonopin. It gives me insomnia as soon as I pop one. When I finally get sleep it's bad dreams I don't feel rested when I wake up. I've never felt shittier."

Yo sup (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2015

"Had similar experiences as many have commented on - Primary reason for use was horrid insomnia lasting over 3> months (If I snuck in two hours a night it was a blessing.) Tried all the usual stuff and some older tricks my Dr. had.... Nothing. Biggest problem was I would doze off and have beyond horrible flash-backs from 5 combat tours and a chopper crash. Shrink says my mental status is not an issue, fit and sound. Just something that's gonna be trial and error. Lunesta was the worst as the flashbacks were nightly and freaked my girlfriend out to the point the relationship failed. Have NO idea why this works for several friends (civilian) and I think it's a placebo. Switched exercise hours, diet. Just did not work for me.."

Fried Marine (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2015

"This really helps me sleep, and knowing there is little to no withdrawal, I have been able to stop easily when back into work and social life again and was truly tired, and mind unstressed. I recently went back on it at 100 mg which was effective in the past. Ambien erased my memory and that impacted my job, but this doesn't. In low dosage I was told it has no antidepressant characteristics (low is up to 100 / 150) so people shouldn't fear about reverse effects if non depressed. Very good & safe drug. Yes, as reviews say, dreams can be incredibly vivid - but I've never had bad nightmares - more like bizzare and interesting dreams that felt real. Maybe nightmares are caused from stress/bad childhood/and just everyday worries."

LCGA (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2015

"I started taking this medication due to an inability to go to sleep. For some reason it knocks me out no matter what doseage I take. 8mg is the same effect as 50mg. I sleep at least 8-9 hours straight and feel hungover the next day. It definitely makes me sleep but I have strange dreams and wake up feeling terrible the next day."

Mlefev June 22, 2015

"I have been taking Trazodone now for over 8 years. I originally started at 50 mgs. then went up to 100 and 150. I now take 200 only because I feel I need the added boost after all these years. It works wonderfully, I sleep restfully and feel refreshed in the morning. I sometimes wake in the middle of the night but the medication puts me back to sleep right away. Nightmares is something that you sometimes experience with Trazodone. I take this medication because I once went for an entire month without sleep and I couldn't cope well. The doctor in emergency who recommended this drug saved my life. I slept like a baby the first time I took the medication and never looked back since. I'll probably be on it forever."

Sometimes Sleepless May 12, 2015

"This is first time a have had a generic for this med, usually I get Pliva. Not pleased with generic, prefer Pliva"

brewtongranny May 2, 2015

"I started taking Trazodone, about 3-4 yrs ago, to help me get to sleep and therefore stay asleep. I started with 50mg, but am now on 100mgs. It has been a blessing, and the fact that it is a non-narcotic is important too as I have addiction and depression problems. I Take it right before bed, read for about 15-20min and I am zonked out. "

JDC88 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2015

"Got pescribed this while in the hospital for mental health and substance abuse issues. Non habit forming, which is great, but I feel wicked groggy and out of it in the morning. I break the pill in half so I'm not as out of it when I wake up. The doctors advised me of prolonged erections in the morning. They were right."

the Warrior (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2015

"I went to rehab for Xanax detox and they prescribe me trazadone 100mg to take before bedtime. Due to the side effect of coming off benzos and not being able to sleep this medication does me so much wonders. I take it and within 15 min I'm ready to fall asleep and wake up refreshed. I understand some other people have different opinions but it really did help me and I'm thankful for my psychiatrist prescribing it to me."

Tool1691 (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2015

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was prescribed trazodone 50mg while I was inpatient at the hospital. That was pretty much the best sleep aid I've ever taken apart from Nyquil, which I only take while I need cold relief too (and by the way, I've taken Benadryl for myself as a sleep aid. It's the exact same active ingredient as the stuff Nyquil makes and markets as a sleep aid. (Source: being obsessive over checking medicine labels). However! Do not ever tell your doctor what to prescribe you. Worked well for me for insomnia (co-morbids are anxiety and depression, post traumatic stress disorder. "

faeriemama (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2014

"I take 100 to 150mg at night and an additional 50mg if I wake up during the night. I have Bipolar and ADHD. I stopped all other psychotropic medicines because of side effects and I'm following the "Grain Brain" Book Plan. No sugar/carbs/gluten(reduced by 60- 80%). Doing fantastically with energy, much reduced depression, reduced impulsivity and better decision making and ability to do housework. LOVE IT. I did experience nausea and depression when reducing dosage."

Palmareal (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2014

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was recently put on Trazodone 100mg and I did, in fact, fall asleep fairly quickly. The worst part of this experience were the weird nightmares I have every night; the fact that when I awake in the mornings, I feel terrible and it looks as though I have Narcolepsy. After about 1 hour from getting up in the morning, I am pretty much in a vegetative state: eyes half closed, hallucinations, can't wake up completely. This goes on throughout each day. My family thinks I am lying when I tell them I am no longer popping pain pills to the point of overdose. That all stopped October 2008. My psychiatrist cut my dose back to 50mg but I am still having the same unwanted symptoms. So far, I have NO short-term memory, unrested, more depressed. "

OhNoooRLM (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2014

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have relied on this medication for a very long time. With the latest refill I noticed the tablet had changed. Previously, it was an elongated oval tablet that easily snapped into sections. Now the shape has changed and it is very hard. One must use a pill cutter to divide it. My pill cutter will not permit me to cut it into 50mg. Most importantly it no longer works for me."

Oh My July 9, 2014

"I have found all of these comments to be fairly optimist. I have been experiencing headaches at a lower dose (50mg) but it took a slow progression to 200mg to solve my sleeping problem. Was also experiencing depression inspite of taking Celexa (40mg), Wellbutrin (300mg) and Risperdal (0.5mg). Now Trazodone (200mg) is added to that mix. The headaches are now gone and I'm sleeping well and the depression is better; I have, however, been experiencing side effects, like restless leg syndrome, inability to get up before noon (I go to bed at 11:30pm), and painful knees (more than usual). I am having memory issues, which is why I've been prescribed Trazodone in place of Temazepam, which is not good for my brain. Well that's my story - hope it helps."

DementiaFighter1957 July 4, 2014

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Makes me sleep"

deblojo13 (taken for 10 years or more) June 23, 2014

"My mind is going 1,000 mph all the time - especially when I try to sleep. My doctor prescribed 50 mg pills and told me to split the tablet in half and take at night before I go to bed. WOW! What a great relief! I CAN SLEEP without the side effects of Ambien!(I took Ambien for a short time and never remembered the things I did!). I recommend this to anyone who wants to get a good nights sleep and not feel drowsy when you wake up. Instead of only getting a couple of hours of sleep a night, I can usually get 6-7 now!"

I can finally sleep! (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 17, 2014

184 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I been having extremely severe trouble getting to sleep & staying asleep (depression) psych put me on lamotrigine & trazodone, it did extremely well. I slept for 10-14 hrs. I stop it because I was thinking about conceiving. I had to go back on trazodone cause my sleep was very irregular. I'm back on trazodone for 2 months now, sleep getting better slowly but surely. "

mika10684 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Desyrel (trazodone): "I took it for insomnia. I'll give a two because it definitely knocked me out. I tried it for about a week or so and the side effects didn't go away. I was mindless - a zombie. I was interested in absolutely nothing. A friend would point out hot chicks walking by and the most I would give was a "meh". I did my school work, ate food, and sat around with friends - just sat there as everyone else had fun."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2013

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on trazadone for a month now, and I take 100mg as needed for sleep. I love that I can actually fall asleep within 20 minutes and stay asleep, but it's impossible for me to wake up. I've slept through alarm clocks, roommates coming in my room, the smoke detector going off. It puts me in a really deep sleep for a minimum of 10-12 hours. That's my only downside with it. You feel great in the morning, but I've missed work and a few classes because of it."

Anonymous_1234 April 17, 2013

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Desyrel (trazodone): "I really like trazodone. It helps me sleep and makes me feel more like getting up the next day instead of wanting to stay in bed. There have been a few times however that I took 100 mgs instead of 50 and it made me so faint/lightheaded that I had to lay down in the floor where I was at. I couldn't make it to the bed. 100 mgs doesn't always do that but there have been 3 or 4 times that it did."

John909 April 3, 2013

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on trazodone for about 9 months. I was taking it as a sleep aid I liked how refreshed I felt in the morning at first.. then I realized I needed 2 150mg to fall asleep... so I quit using it for about 2 months. I went back on it 2 nights ago.. the first morning I couldn't open my eyes.. my girlfriend said I look plastered. But after I woke up I was fine no depressive thoughts or dizziness. It's more reliable than any other sleep aid over an increased period of time to me.. but my helpful hint of advice.. be ready to sleep in 30mins or you'll be dealing with restless legs syndrome all night! I hope this helped, oh and nightmares sometimes."

ashleyb123 February 4, 2013

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Sleep very well. Nausea, diarrhea."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 22, 2012

"I take 200mg of trazodone with 10mg of Ambien at night to sleep. "

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 21, 2012

"I love trazodone. I am taking trazodone for sleep. It helps me sleep 8 hours. I also like it because it helps with depression and anxiety. The medicine calms me throughout the night. I have no anxiety and depression since I started taking it. I will continue to take it as long as I can."

Anonymous May 2, 2012

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was only getting two hours sleep a night. I am on a lot of pain killers due to military service . First night I take 150 mg I slept 8 hours approx each of the last 4 days. I feel so much better."

Derringer February 25, 2012