User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Sedation.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Sedation

"I can only get a few hrs of sleep w/o it but I get a good nite sleep when I'm taking regularly"

libra2684 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 19, 2016

"For the longest time I have always little sleep. After being prescribed Sertraline and trazodone to help me sleep. I have noticed a big improvement in my sleeping habits. I get 9 hours of sleep and I actually stay asleep. The downside for me is that I feel tired and groggy throughout the day. Hopefully I will find a new way to not feel this way in which I will share. I take 100mg before I go to sleep"

Florencia3773 April 16, 2016

"I have taken 100mg for at least 10 yrs for sleep. It works great for me, a slight groggy feeling in the morning, but well worth it to have a full night sleep. I fall asleep soon after taking it. I have at times sleep walk. I will find out in the morning when I find stuff moved around, dusting supplies in the washer machine, and tools from the garage in the kitchen. But I have slept walked since I was a little girl. And it seems to only happen when I am worried about something. This drug has been around for a long time and the benefit out ways side affects for me."

Anonymous April 5, 2016

"I fell asleep fast ,but woke very groggy ,all day grogginess ,with head swelling , I reported it to my dr, I was told to keep taking it, I told her no ."

willa4d March 3, 2016

"I love TraZadone. I have always had a problem with anxiety and problems sleeping. My PA put me on 50mg at least a year ago. It was a miracle. I'm able to fall asleep and STAY asleep. Something I have struggled with all my life. I'm also a very light sleeper. But the real miracle came when it helped with my anxiety/depression. I'm a new person. I just recently asked for an increase. My PA was surprised I hadn't asked earlier. She upped the dose to 100 mg and I sleep like a baby. It's been a wonder drug for me."

MandySur March 2, 2016

"My husband is in a nursing home with dementia. He was was given this drug as a sleep aid. He is now very confused and his balance is poor. Cannot stand on his own or even with his walker. Falling almost every night. Our family are very concerned about his deterioration since taking this drug. The doctors response was to INCREASE the dosage!!! We told him NO and insisted on removing this drug from his medication. Since stopping this drug, we can see improvement in his condition. It will take time to get it out of his system. I would not recommend this drug to anyone - especially seniors."

Jenyus (taken for less than 1 month) February 29, 2016

"I use Trazodone for sleep - it is non-addictive and it's been around a long time so I have higher trust for it. Trazodone gave me the worst side effects for about 5-6 days. Skin crawling, literally felt like I wanted to jump out of my skin. But the 6th day I woke up and that feeling was gone. 50mg seems to be my magic number, I fall asleep every night and no hangover. But if I for some reason get less than 7-8h sleep I can feel the skin crawly again, but manageable."

KatMy2016 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2016

"My doctor put me on trazodone amd temazapan. I took the 1st at bed. Time did fine and took temazapam in the middle of the night. she gave me 30 mg which was way too much for me. Most of time I was unconscious falling down every day and when I got up. The nurse put me down to 15 mg and I did much better and took it at bedtime still had problems. I wrecked my car 3 times. Insurance wouldn't believe me and I lost that. I was in the hospital and sent to rehab and while there totally stopped the trazapam. I don't fall any more TG but can't find.any insurance and i drive as little as possible. I do have COPD and have enough of. Problems with that."

conblond2016 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2016

"Started taking it to help me sleep when I was going through intense anxiety. For that purpose, it worked very well. However, there was a side effect of feeling generally panicky all the time. It became so bad over time that I could not leave my house--or even step outside the door. I had to quit cold turkey after a month because this was so debilitating. After four days of being off of it, I was able to walk around my neighborhood again. But 3 months later, I still have trouble driving far distances. This drug almost killed me. Also, while I was on it, I had incredible anxiety--like my skin was crawling. Again, this ceased within a day or two of stopping this medication. All in all, it was a horror experience for me."

Anonymous January 3, 2016

"Hate this medication i have been on ambien in the past but where I'm from Nebraska it is not considered a controlled substance but in Louisiana I guess it is. I slept great on ambien I've been put on 100 mg of trazadone it does nothing for me I think I slept a total of 3 hrs last nite. That and the fact I've come off pain pills for my back cuz my new "dr " doesnt believe in prescribing narcotics I'm constantly in pain and now that I moved here and spent over a week in hospital I've also been on dr release from work to find out I got terminated from my new job plus now I guess I have congenital heart failure and lung disease it definitely hasn't been a good experience here overall tho I love the area as do my kids, but if I don't find a job quickly who knows what will happen"

abbenco December 7, 2015

"I've been taking trazadone for almost three years at different doses. I started out at 50mg, then100 and now take 150mgs. I%u2019ve taken some kind of sleeping pill on and off for 18 years but recently became dependent on them because of family deaths, relationship issues and post natal depression. Trazodone works for me but it gives me horrible nightmares so I have to wake up two to three times a night. I feel groggy the next day and my memory has declined. I also experience extreme anxiety. I don%u2019t know if trazodone is the cause. All in all, I would rather deal with the side effects than live with insomnia."

Kanyoni (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 24, 2015

"Helps me sleep"

Kak Vegas November 7, 2015

"I was first prescribed 50 mg to start, but quickly cut my dose to 25 mg because I didn't like the side effects of foggy head in the morning. That dose worked for me and I got the most consistent sleep I'd had for a long time. But I was still only getting 5-6 hours of solid sleep. So I eventually bumped up to 50 mg and just force myself to take it ~8.5 hours before I want to get up, so I can get 8 hours of sleep... and in this way I don't feel groggy in the morning. Highly recommend allowing yourself a good amount of sleep... not just 5-6 hours, more like 7.5 - 9 hours a night."

HealthyHead (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 13, 2015

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"works great for me to get to sleep, however I still can't sleep through the night"

johndcravens (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 30, 2015

"After taking Ambien for a few years, it wasn't working at all. Trazodone has been very effective. I no longer dread trying to go to sleep. It may take a few days for it to work so don't give up on it. I can't believe the change it has been in my life. Cutting a 50mg in half. A cup of coffee in morning and no groggy feeling. It may be just from getting a decent night's sleep but I have more energy during the day! Last night I sleep through a terrible storm...I recommend giving it a few days to work, especially if switching from Ambien overnight. Only thing I'm not sure about is it says to take with food...who eats right before going to bed? I've tried to eat a few crackers with it, but most nights I forget."

stlsleeplest (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2015

"My head spins with overactive thoughts at bedtime causing insomnia. Ambien worked, but changed to Trazadone 100mg. I fell asleep quickly, but woke up feeling dizzy, as if hungover. The feeling lasted throughout the day. I didn't like the lingering feeling, so I halved the dose, 50 mgs. Same side affects, felt drowsy and dizzy in the morning. I will go back to using Benedryl, as it didn't give me the Zombie feeling like Trazadone. (Xanax worked for me, but I didn't want to get addicted to it, so I don't take it.)"

58&meh July 29, 2015

"I just started this medication a few months ago to get off klonopin. It gives me insomnia as soon as I pop one. When I finally get sleep it's bad dreams I don't feel rested when I wake up. I've never felt shittier."

Yo sup (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2015

"Had similar experiences as many have commented on - Primary reason for use was horrid insomnia lasting over 3> months (If I snuck in two hours a night it was a blessing.) Tried all the usual stuff and some older tricks my Dr. had.... Nothing. Biggest problem was I would doze off and have beyond horrible flash-backs from 5 combat tours and a chopper crash. Shrink says my mental status is not an issue, fit and sound. Just something that's gonna be trial and error. Lunesta was the worst as the flashbacks were nightly and freaked my girlfriend out to the point the relationship failed. Have NO idea why this works for several friends (civilian) and I think it's a placebo. Switched exercise hours, diet. Just did not work for me.."

Fried Marine (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2015

"This really helps me sleep, and knowing there is little to no withdrawal, I have been able to stop easily when back into work and social life again and was truly tired, and mind unstressed. I recently went back on it at 100 mg which was effective in the past. Ambien erased my memory and that impacted my job, but this doesn't. In low dosage I was told it has no antidepressant characteristics (low is up to 100 / 150) so people shouldn't fear about reverse effects if non depressed. Very good & safe drug. Yes, as reviews say, dreams can be incredibly vivid - but I've never had bad nightmares - more like bizzare and interesting dreams that felt real. Maybe nightmares are caused from stress/bad childhood/and just everyday worries."

LCGA (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2015

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking this medication due to an inability to go to sleep. For some reason it knocks me out no matter what doseage I take. 8mg is the same effect as 50mg. I sleep at least 8-9 hours straight and feel hungover the next day. It definitely makes me sleep but I have strange dreams and wake up feeling terrible the next day."

Mlefev June 22, 2015

"I have been taking Trazodone now for over 8 years. I originally started at 50 mgs. then went up to 100 and 150. I now take 200 only because I feel I need the added boost after all these years. It works wonderfully, I sleep restfully and feel refreshed in the morning. I sometimes wake in the middle of the night but the medication puts me back to sleep right away. Nightmares is something that you sometimes experience with Trazodone. I take this medication because I once went for an entire month without sleep and I couldn't cope well. The doctor in emergency who recommended this drug saved my life. I slept like a baby the first time I took the medication and never looked back since. I'll probably be on it forever."

Sometimes Sleepless May 12, 2015

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This is first time a have had a generic for this med, usually I get Pliva. Not pleased with generic, prefer Pliva"

brewtongranny May 2, 2015

"I started taking Trazodone, about 3-4 yrs ago, to help me get to sleep and therefore stay asleep. I started with 50mg, but am now on 100mgs. It has been a blessing, and the fact that it is a non-narcotic is important too as I have addiction and depression problems. I Take it right before bed, read for about 15-20min and I am zonked out. "

JDC88 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2015

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Got pescribed this while in the hospital for mental health and substance abuse issues. Non habit forming, which is great, but I feel wicked groggy and out of it in the morning. I break the pill in half so I'm not as out of it when I wake up. The doctors advised me of prolonged erections in the morning. They were right."

the Warrior (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2015

"I went to rehab for Xanax detox and they prescribe me trazadone 100mg to take before bedtime. Due to the side effect of coming off benzos and not being able to sleep this medication does me so much wonders. I take it and within 15 min I'm ready to fall asleep and wake up refreshed. I understand some other people have different opinions but it really did help me and I'm thankful for my psychiatrist prescribing it to me."

Tool1691 (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2015

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next