User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone review summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Sedation.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Sedation

Review by Oh My:

I have relied on this medication for a very long time. With the latest refill I noticed the tablet had changed. Previously, it was an elongated oval tablet that easily snapped into sections. Now the shape has changed and it is very hard. One must use a pill cutter to divide it. My pill cutter will not permit me to cut it into 50mg. Most importantly it no longer works for me.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2014 4:28 PM

Review by DementiaFighter1957:

I have found all of these comments to be fairly optimist. I have been experiencing headaches at a lower dose (50mg) but it took a slow progression to 200mg to solve my sleeping problem. Was also experiencing depression inspite of taking Celexa (40mg), Wellbutrin (300mg) and Risperdal (0.5mg). Now Trazodone (200mg) is added to that mix. The headaches are now gone and I'm sleeping well and the depression is better; I have, however, been experiencing side effects, like restless leg syndrome, inability to get up before noon (I go to bed at 11:30pm), and painful knees (more than usual). I am having memory issues, which is why I've been prescribed Trazodone in place of Temazepam, which is not good for my brain. Well that's my story - hope it helps.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 4, 2014 6:53 PM

Review by deblojo13 (taken for 10 years or more):

Makes me sleep

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2014 3:05 PM

Review by I can finally sleep! (taken for 2 to 5 years):

My mind is going 1,000 mph all the time - especially when I try to sleep. My doctor prescribed 50 mg pills and told me to split the tablet in half and take at night before I go to bed. WOW! What a great relief! I CAN SLEEP without the side effects of Ambien!(I took Ambien for a short time and never remembered the things I did!). I recommend this to anyone who wants to get a good nights sleep and not feel drowsy when you wake up. Instead of only getting a couple of hours of sleep a night, I can usually get 6-7 now!

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2014 12:43 PM

Review by mika10684 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I been having extremely severe trouble getting to sleep & staying asleep (depression) psych put me on lamotrigine & trazodone, it did extremely well. I slept for 10-14 hrs. I stop it because I was thinking about conceiving. I had to go back on trazodone cause my sleep was very irregular. I'm back on trazodone for 2 months now, sleep getting better slowly but surely.

September 9, 2013 6:37 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Desyrel (trazodone): I took it for insomnia. I'll give a two because it definitely knocked me out. I tried it for about a week or so and the side effects didn't go away. I was mindless - a zombie. I was interested in absolutely nothing. A friend would point out hot chicks walking by and the most I would give was a "meh". I did my school work, ate food, and sat around with friends - just sat there as everyone else had fun.

May 3, 2013 3:07 PM

Review by Anonymous_1234:

I've been on trazadone for a month now, and I take 100mg as needed for sleep. I love that I can actually fall asleep within 20 minutes and stay asleep, but it's impossible for me to wake up. I've slept through alarm clocks, roommates coming in my room, the smoke detector going off. It puts me in a really deep sleep for a minimum of 10-12 hours. That's my only downside with it. You feel great in the morning, but I've missed work and a few classes because of it.

April 17, 2013 11:14 AM

Review by John909:

Desyrel (trazodone): I really like trazodone. It helps me sleep and makes me feel more like getting up the next day instead of wanting to stay in bed. There have been a few times however that I took 100 mgs instead of 50 and it made me so faint/lightheaded that I had to lay down in the floor where I was at. I couldn't make it to the bed. 100 mgs doesn't always do that but there have been 3 or 4 times that it did.

April 3, 2013 4:35 AM

Review by ashleyb123:

I have been on trazodone for about 9 months. I was taking it as a sleep aid I liked how refreshed I felt in the morning at first.. then I realized I needed 2 150mg to fall asleep... so I quit using it for about 2 months. I went back on it 2 nights ago.. the first morning I couldn't open my eyes.. my girlfriend said I look plastered. But after I woke up I was fine no depressive thoughts or dizziness. It's more reliable than any other sleep aid over an increased period of time to me.. but my helpful hint of advice.. be ready to sleep in 30mins or you'll be dealing with restless legs syndrome all night! I hope this helped, oh and nightmares sometimes.

February 4, 2013 3:22 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Sleep very well. Nausea, diarrhea.

June 22, 2012 3:05 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I take 200mg of trazodone with 10mg of Ambien at night to sleep.

May 21, 2012 12:39 PM

I love trazodone. I am taking trazodone for sleep. It helps me sleep 8 hours. I also like it because it helps with depression and anxiety. The medicine calms me throughout the night. I have no anxiety and depression since I started taking it. I will continue to take it as long as I can.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 2, 2012 1:27 PM

Review by Derringer:

I was only getting two hours sleep a night. I am on a lot of pain killers due to military service . First night I take 150 mg I slept 8 hours approx each of the last 4 days. I feel so much better.

February 25, 2012 11:50 AM

Review by Verrier:

Was on trazodone years ago, it worked well for awhile. Just restarted and what a God send. Had been awake for three days. Fell asleep in ten minutes and slept for nine hours.

February 23, 2012 2:57 AM

Review by dawn 2:

Been on trazadone for 2 weeks and I feel amazing. I realize that my life before was a struggle, now I sleep like a baby and feel great. My joy for life has returned. Trazodone is amazing.

December 11, 2011 9:52 AM

Review by dragonflycat:

Desyrel (trazodone): I have been on trazodone for about five years, ever since I was going through a nasty downward spiral due to my personal situation at the time and couldn't sleep for three days/nights in a row. The doctor who prescribed it for me was an "old-time" doc who wasn't into unnecessary medication (or any, most of the time) but saw there was a need that day with me. The fact that it was also an antidepressant was also a plus (but ultimately it wasn't effective enough on its own for that purpose). Taking trazodone at night (50mg) plus 1/2 a typical Ambien pill helps me sleep a good five or six hours straight--beats the way I used to sleep and thought was normal for most of my life; waking up every two or three hours.

October 24, 2011 8:20 PM

Was prescribed trazodone to help with sleep problems but actually woke me up a bit. After a week of using I began to feel very depressed.

February 1, 2011 3:56 PM

Review by TEH3:

The doctor prescribed 100mg nightly for sleeplessness. I found I could fall asleep within 5-10 minutes (no more bedtime TV) and sleep wonderfully, waking up alert, feeling great, ready to go. However, sometime around noon each day I'd find my eyes getting blurry (no more reading). I cut the dosage down to 50mg, same thing happened. I cut it down to 25mg nightly and I still fell asleep in 5-10 minutes, stayed asleep, awoke refreshed and raring to go, and VOILA, no blurry eyes. Trazodone is a wonder.

January 11, 2011 4:29 PM

I have taken Trazodone 150mg for 5 years. It has been a God send for me. I have chronic pain that would keep me up all night. Also my head would not stop working overtime and I had trouble falling asleep. Now I am asleep within 20 minutes and I wake at night with no problem getting back to sleep.

November 3, 2010 1:06 PM

I'm a retired U.S.Marine and have been having trouble with sleeplessness and nightmares from service related issues. My doctor first prescribed Amitriptyline (Elavil) and I became an angry monster. She switched me to Trazodone, 25mg at bedtime and it has greatly helped with sleep and the depression. It has also helped with controlling my emotions. I have also been alcohol free for over 8 months now with no intentions of drinking again. It's helped me with several issues and I would highly recommend you inquire with your doctor about trying it if you're having any of the problems I have experienced.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2009 1:22 PM

Review by grtscape:

I was given this drug 2 years ago for insomnia after withdrawal from drug/alcohol abuse. This drug has changed me so much I don't ever want to get off of it. I take 100-150mg every night experiencing deep sleep with weird dreams that I like. A calm hungover feeling in the morning which dissipates into just a calmness for the rest of the day. I think well, have lowered anxiety, and a positive feeling toward life. If you really want to be your old self you can still muster it from within when needed though, then return back to the comfortable altered state afterward when you want to.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2009 6:32 AM

Review by Hardlign:

Desyrel (trazodone): I am taking 200mg a night for sleep for a little over a year. No problems except when I miss a nightly dose, I feel hung over the next day. Recently, I have been waking with a headache. I am going to cut my dosage down by 25mg and see if that will help. My worry is to have an uncomfortable withdrawal period.

November 23, 2009 11:07 PM

Review by not a good idea!:

I have bipolar disorder and schizophrenia so I know what medical side effects are all about. My doctor prescribed me trazadone to help me fall asleep. I am on 100mg. It works miracles for falling asleep, however in the morning, I cannot wake up. If I try and force myself to wake up, my limbs barely move and I cannot hold myself up. I could not even get out of bed.

September 8, 2009 12:29 PM

Review by Customs:

I have taken this for three years, It has been a life saver in way of keeping me calm and relaxing me over all. I will take 100mg on average for sleep at night, I have also taken throughout the day to keep a stable mood. It has helped with depression and aiding well in sleep. You have to find the right dose for yourself though everyone will have a different reaction to different mg doses, the most common dose I have seen across the board has been 75mg at bedtime.

August 27, 2009 12:13 PM

Review by Meza E.:

Desyrel (trazodone): I actually was taking this through high school because of depression and severe insomnia and it worked wonders. As I got older though, I stopped taking it and recently the sleep problems have started back up again. My doctor gave me 100 mg tabs of trazadone (the generic) and I had really bad headaches when I woke up in the mornings. I think it was because when I was in High School, I was taking between 25-50mg. Bought a pill splitter and I split the 100mg tablets into quarters and take 1-2 of them to equal the approximate dose of 25-50mg I was taking. So far so good and I haven't had the headaches so far...been doing this for a couple days so far.

August 17, 2009 11:48 PM