Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone review summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Sedation.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Sedation

Review by JDC88 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I started taking Trazodone, about 3-4 yrs ago, to help me get to sleep and therefore stay asleep. I started with 50mg, but am now on 100mgs. It has been a blessing, and the fact that it is a non-narcotic is important too as I have addiction and depression problems. I Take it right before bed, read for about 15-20min and I am zonked out.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 23, 2015 11:43 AM

Review by the Warrior (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Got pescribed this while in the hospital for mental health and substance abuse issues. Non habit forming, which is great, but I feel wicked groggy and out of it in the morning. I break the pill in half so I'm not as out of it when I wake up. The doctors advised me of prolonged erections in the morning. They were right.

February 16, 2015 1:04 PM

Review by Tool1691 (taken for less than 1 month):

I went to rehab for Xanax detox and they prescribe me trazadone 100mg to take before bedtime. Due to the side effect of coming off benzos and not being able to sleep this medication does me so much wonders. I take it and within 15 min I'm ready to fall asleep and wake up refreshed. I understand some other people have different opinions but it really did help me and I'm thankful for my psychiatrist prescribing it to me.

January 30, 2015 2:24 AM

Review by faeriemama (taken for less than 1 month):

I was prescribed trazodone 50mg while I was inpatient at the hospital. That was pretty much the best sleep aid I've ever taken apart from Nyquil, which I only take while I need cold relief too (and by the way, I've taken Benadryl for myself as a sleep aid. It's the exact same active ingredient as the stuff Nyquil makes and markets as a sleep aid. (Source: being obsessive over checking medicine labels). However! Do not ever tell your doctor what to prescribe you. Worked well for me for insomnia (co-morbids are anxiety and depression, post traumatic stress disorder.

November 4, 2014 11:49 PM

Review by Palmareal (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I take 100 to 150mg at night and an additional 50mg if I wake up during the night. I have Bipolar and ADHD. I stopped all other psychotropic medicines because of side effects and I'm following the "Grain Brain" Book Plan. No sugar/carbs/gluten(reduced by 60- 80%). Doing fantastically with energy, much reduced depression, reduced impulsivity and better decision making and ability to do housework. LOVE IT. I did experience nausea and depression when reducing dosage.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2014 3:37 PM

Review by OhNoooRLM (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was recently put on Trazodone 100mg and I did, in fact, fall asleep fairly quickly. The worst part of this experience were the weird nightmares I have every night; the fact that when I awake in the mornings, I feel terrible and it looks as though I have Narcolepsy. After about 1 hour from getting up in the morning, I am pretty much in a vegetative state: eyes half closed, hallucinations, can't wake up completely. This goes on throughout each day. My family thinks I am lying when I tell them I am no longer popping pain pills to the point of overdose. That all stopped October 2008. My psychiatrist cut my dose back to 50mg but I am still having the same unwanted symptoms. So far, I have NO short-term memory, unrested, more depressed.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2014 6:29 PM

Review by Oh My:

I have relied on this medication for a very long time. With the latest refill I noticed the tablet had changed. Previously, it was an elongated oval tablet that easily snapped into sections. Now the shape has changed and it is very hard. One must use a pill cutter to divide it. My pill cutter will not permit me to cut it into 50mg. Most importantly it no longer works for me.

July 9, 2014 4:28 PM

Review by DementiaFighter1957:

I have found all of these comments to be fairly optimist. I have been experiencing headaches at a lower dose (50mg) but it took a slow progression to 200mg to solve my sleeping problem. Was also experiencing depression inspite of taking Celexa (40mg), Wellbutrin (300mg) and Risperdal (0.5mg). Now Trazodone (200mg) is added to that mix. The headaches are now gone and I'm sleeping well and the depression is better; I have, however, been experiencing side effects, like restless leg syndrome, inability to get up before noon (I go to bed at 11:30pm), and painful knees (more than usual). I am having memory issues, which is why I've been prescribed Trazodone in place of Temazepam, which is not good for my brain. Well that's my story - hope it helps.

July 4, 2014 6:53 PM

Review by deblojo13 (taken for 10 years or more):

Makes me sleep

June 23, 2014 3:05 PM

Review by I can finally sleep! (taken for 2 to 5 years):

My mind is going 1,000 mph all the time - especially when I try to sleep. My doctor prescribed 50 mg pills and told me to split the tablet in half and take at night before I go to bed. WOW! What a great relief! I CAN SLEEP without the side effects of Ambien!(I took Ambien for a short time and never remembered the things I did!). I recommend this to anyone who wants to get a good nights sleep and not feel drowsy when you wake up. Instead of only getting a couple of hours of sleep a night, I can usually get 6-7 now!

161 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2014 12:43 PM

Review by mika10684 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I been having extremely severe trouble getting to sleep & staying asleep (depression) psych put me on lamotrigine & trazodone, it did extremely well. I slept for 10-14 hrs. I stop it because I was thinking about conceiving. I had to go back on trazodone cause my sleep was very irregular. I'm back on trazodone for 2 months now, sleep getting better slowly but surely.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 9, 2013 6:37 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Desyrel (trazodone): I took it for insomnia. I'll give a two because it definitely knocked me out. I tried it for about a week or so and the side effects didn't go away. I was mindless - a zombie. I was interested in absolutely nothing. A friend would point out hot chicks walking by and the most I would give was a "meh". I did my school work, ate food, and sat around with friends - just sat there as everyone else had fun.

May 3, 2013 3:07 PM

Review by Anonymous_1234:

I've been on trazadone for a month now, and I take 100mg as needed for sleep. I love that I can actually fall asleep within 20 minutes and stay asleep, but it's impossible for me to wake up. I've slept through alarm clocks, roommates coming in my room, the smoke detector going off. It puts me in a really deep sleep for a minimum of 10-12 hours. That's my only downside with it. You feel great in the morning, but I've missed work and a few classes because of it.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2013 11:14 AM

Review by John909:

Desyrel (trazodone): I really like trazodone. It helps me sleep and makes me feel more like getting up the next day instead of wanting to stay in bed. There have been a few times however that I took 100 mgs instead of 50 and it made me so faint/lightheaded that I had to lay down in the floor where I was at. I couldn't make it to the bed. 100 mgs doesn't always do that but there have been 3 or 4 times that it did.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 3, 2013 4:35 AM

Review by ashleyb123:

I have been on trazodone for about 9 months. I was taking it as a sleep aid I liked how refreshed I felt in the morning at first.. then I realized I needed 2 150mg to fall asleep... so I quit using it for about 2 months. I went back on it 2 nights ago.. the first morning I couldn't open my eyes.. my girlfriend said I look plastered. But after I woke up I was fine no depressive thoughts or dizziness. It's more reliable than any other sleep aid over an increased period of time to me.. but my helpful hint of advice.. be ready to sleep in 30mins or you'll be dealing with restless legs syndrome all night! I hope this helped, oh and nightmares sometimes.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 4, 2013 3:22 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Sleep very well. Nausea, diarrhea.

June 22, 2012 3:05 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I take 200mg of trazodone with 10mg of Ambien at night to sleep.

May 21, 2012 12:39 PM

I love trazodone. I am taking trazodone for sleep. It helps me sleep 8 hours. I also like it because it helps with depression and anxiety. The medicine calms me throughout the night. I have no anxiety and depression since I started taking it. I will continue to take it as long as I can.

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 2, 2012 1:27 PM

Review by Derringer:

I was only getting two hours sleep a night. I am on a lot of pain killers due to military service . First night I take 150 mg I slept 8 hours approx each of the last 4 days. I feel so much better.

February 25, 2012 11:50 AM

Review by Verrier:

Was on trazodone years ago, it worked well for awhile. Just restarted and what a God send. Had been awake for three days. Fell asleep in ten minutes and slept for nine hours.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 23, 2012 2:57 AM

Review by dawn 2:

Been on trazadone for 2 weeks and I feel amazing. I realize that my life before was a struggle, now I sleep like a baby and feel great. My joy for life has returned. Trazodone is amazing.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2011 9:52 AM

Review by dragonflycat:

Desyrel (trazodone): I have been on trazodone for about five years, ever since I was going through a nasty downward spiral due to my personal situation at the time and couldn't sleep for three days/nights in a row. The doctor who prescribed it for me was an "old-time" doc who wasn't into unnecessary medication (or any, most of the time) but saw there was a need that day with me. The fact that it was also an antidepressant was also a plus (but ultimately it wasn't effective enough on its own for that purpose). Taking trazodone at night (50mg) plus 1/2 a typical Ambien pill helps me sleep a good five or six hours straight--beats the way I used to sleep and thought was normal for most of my life; waking up every two or three hours.

October 24, 2011 8:20 PM

Was prescribed trazodone to help with sleep problems but actually woke me up a bit. After a week of using I began to feel very depressed.

February 1, 2011 3:56 PM

Review by TEH3:

The doctor prescribed 100mg nightly for sleeplessness. I found I could fall asleep within 5-10 minutes (no more bedtime TV) and sleep wonderfully, waking up alert, feeling great, ready to go. However, sometime around noon each day I'd find my eyes getting blurry (no more reading). I cut the dosage down to 50mg, same thing happened. I cut it down to 25mg nightly and I still fell asleep in 5-10 minutes, stayed asleep, awoke refreshed and raring to go, and VOILA, no blurry eyes. Trazodone is a wonder.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2011 4:29 PM

I have taken Trazodone 150mg for 5 years. It has been a God send for me. I have chronic pain that would keep me up all night. Also my head would not stop working overtime and I had trouble falling asleep. Now I am asleep within 20 minutes and I wake at night with no problem getting back to sleep.

November 3, 2010 1:06 PM