User Reviews for Seroquel

Learn more about Seroquel.

Bipolar Disorder 130 reviews 48 medications

7.7
Schizoaffective Disorder 16 reviews 28 medications

Schizophrenia 7 reviews 36 medications

Summary of Seroquel reviews 153 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Seroquel

Review by insanelyquierd (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Took for bipolar. Good side effects: more or less consistently put me to sleep every night. Bad side effects: gained roughly 20 lbs 6 months in, had a difficult time getting up every day, needed more sleep than usual. It helped for awhile, but it mostly made my episodes less severe, did not effectively stop or prevent them.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2014 3:38 PM
Review by Thecircusrules (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Prescribed 600mg for bipolar 1, first three weeks nasty but stick with it these side effects disappear. Taken alongside lithium and I have never felt so well in over 20 years, awesome.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2014 6:46 AM
Review by i2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Seroquel is amazing for me, gave me good nights sleep, calms me down. I take 800 mg along with Tegretol 800 mg.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 7, 2014 11:51 AM
Review by littlelor: User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Seroquel gave me my life back, calms me down and helps me think clearly during the day, and helps me sleep well during the night. Makes your mouth a bit dry and makes you hungry often but definitely worth it.

March 15, 2014 5:43 AM
Review by kmanza3: User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: Works for me.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 11, 2014 12:06 AM
Review by HappyBella (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was off meds for awhile and thought I was fine - nope! Had a manic episode. I take 100 to 150mg of Seroquel at night. Before this, I took Geodon and lost weight, but I had uncontrollable muscle movements, I didn't want to switch but my family was embarrassed by my non stop hand movements. I switched to Seroquel and feel a million times better. I sleep great (used to not sleep for days). BUT, I have gained 40 lbs. I wake up the next morning and see what I ate the night before and get so irritated with myself. It makes me want to eat everything bad for me. If I don't eat, it's like an itch I can't scratch. I don't feel foggy, but well rested...then again, I sleep till 8 or 9am. To me, it's worth the weight gain to feel stable.

March 7, 2014 3:58 PM
Review by playboybuddyrose (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I take 400 mg Seroquel at bedtime. I sleep a lot better but as far as my bipolar symptoms I see no real difference.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 28, 2014 5:49 PM
Review by tiredoftablets (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: Hi, Unfortunately this medication does not suit me as I get a lot of the undesirable side effects. Slurred speech, terrible confusion, drowsiness but not able to sleep, cravings for sugary foods, a sort of spaced out feeling, and restless leg. Apart from that it's great! :) Wish I could continue taking it, but it's not worth the side effects in my case.

February 11, 2014 8:20 PM
Review by Macca d: User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I take Seroquel for bipolar, I had side effects when first taking it such as couldn't wake in the morning and sluggish, it took me a couple of months to get used to it, now I take it at about 10.30pm asleep within 20 mins and up at about 8.30 am, well rested, it has been great for my mania, which can last weeks at a time. I feel so normal again, I take 100mg a night with 600mg of Tegrotol you just have to give it time to do it's thing, the side effects go away. I have no weight gain at all on Tegrotol, it's the opposite, I'm losing weight.

January 8, 2014 7:14 AM
Review by solitude solace (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: For me personally, the weight gain WAS dose-related. I gained over 200 lbs. by the time I got up to 600mg a day. Even so, it does wonders for my schizo-affective and depression disorders.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 6, 2014 10:03 PM
Review by SeroquelBroughtMeBack (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: I've suffered from bipolar and psychosis as early as 6th grade. It took about 15 years to get seen, by that time I was completely detached from reality. After trying expensive placebos with bad side effects and high hype, I tried Seroquel. It works on the psychosis, mania and depression I've experienced in trade for being a little sleepy. Seroquel is so far the only medication that works by itself & which I can function even after missing a dose (not recommended). It's all about risk versus controlling symptoms with these medications. If you've found something effective for treating the symptoms, the next step is finding the cause. This illness is like a sleeping dragon, you must keep it asleep or you'll get burned, Seroquel helps.

December 8, 2013 6:20 PM
Review by ahtibat87 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: This is my 2nd time on seroquel and now that I actually know two shits about mental disorder, I really do like seroquel. I've always had a terrible time falling and staying asleep which it helps with greatly, and my ridiculous bipolar tendencies it puts to rest. I recommend seroquel if it works for you. I've never had a single negative side effect from it but some people do. Every brain is different :)

November 5, 2013 4:43 AM
Review by Charloo (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have just started Quetiapine (Seroquel) going form 25mg to 75mg now. I was previously using lithium and have gradually reduced it to 250mg, now I do not take it and have replaced with seroquel. I am concerned about the side effects at higher doses and I would like to know if anyone has gone from using lithium to seroquel as a modd stabilsier. I am doing this as I am trying to get pregnant and my doctor has told me that seroquel is a good substitute up to the 2nd trimester of a pregnancy where I would re-introduce lithium.

October 23, 2013 6:43 PM
Review by october 16: User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been a bipolar as of 26 years. After my first and huge depression, I have not missed lithium not even for a day. I have had a really good acceptance to Seroquel, but not to Seroquel XR. The difference is huge, and XR plays with your sleep patterns and more. The insatiable hunger is so, so, true as is the weight gain. I just eat less and less and less and as a person who has had an amazing metabolism, still am 105lbs. After 3 children, my teen weight, I am now at 115lbs and I hate it. But I have no desire to stop Seroquel.

October 3, 2013 7:51 PM
Review by WildcatVet (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I've been taking Seroquel for about a year and I can honestly say I don't ever want to live without it. No other medicine had any effect on controlling my extreme mood swings and delusional/psychotic thinking. The sleepiness (which I now find very helpful) and morning fog were bothersome, but I've gladly adapted my schedule to allow 8-9 hrs sleep nightly.

October 2, 2013 4:55 PM
Review by anorexicxheart (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine): I've been taking this since January 2013 for depression and insomnia it has worked wonders. Except for the weight gain factor. You feel the need to snack all the time which has caused me to develop bulimia. I have a past of anorexia and literally everyone in my immediate family has had eating disorders. I wouldn't recommend this to someone terrified of weight gain. Other than that. It's great.

September 19, 2013 12:47 PM
Review by kel kel 84: User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: It worked well for sleep but I could not remember eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I woke up with it all over my pillow and cheeks weird.. I felt hung over in the morning. Also was taking Geodon and Effexor. I don't take anything now. It's been 3 years. I'm doing good.

September 16, 2013 7:35 PM
Review by Mom of 2 Schizoaffective: User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: I have been on Seroquel for several years, mixed with other medicines. Recently tried reducing strength but couldn't sleep or concentrate due to racing thoughts. Keeps me normal (as "normal" as anyone else). Also take Lamictal for mood-stabilizer/anti-depressant and Citalopram for anxiety/depression. Does make me very sleepy so I must take it before 9 pm to feel awake enough to function at 6:30 am Life-saver for me and my family.

September 16, 2013 5:37 PM
Review by AnnieFromAfrica: User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I too gained masses of weight taking Seroquel but lost it all (35lb) in 6 months by healthy eating & being AWARE of the pitfalls. Seroquel does not make you gain weight. Seroquel makes you crazy HUNGRY craving all the bad stuff - salt/sugar/fried food for me. The secret is to ANTICIPATE your munchies. Prepare a large but healthy snack in advance or save half your evening meal and have it at bedtime just before you take your meds. This really worked for me. Taking my meds on a full stomach took the cravings away.

August 30, 2013 4:57 PM
Review by Patient67 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I suffer from mainly depression and anxiety. I have had a few bouts of hypomania. This was recommended to me to help anxiety and mood swings. Within an hour of taking this medicine I was always somewhat buzzed and not in a good way. Like you have to lie down and sleep or you will become extremely irritable. The sleep was great on it, however you wake up in a fog for hours. Usually until dinner time for me. It really flattens you out so you don't feel much but emotionless and tired. I took anywhere from 50 to 200 mg and the result was the same. I am off now and trying safer meds. Seroquel wasn't for me, glad it helps millions though!

August 12, 2013 4:58 PM
Review by JuliaHV (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed bipolar about 15 years ago and have been on and off many medications. I now have insomnia and Seroquel is the only medication I have found that will help me sleep (besides Geodon which gave me involuntary muscle spasms) I take 100mg a night. It does make me sleep a lot, which I really like. I usually sleep from 11pm to 8:30 or 9am. Thankfully I don't have to be up early for any reason. I feel so stable and happy and rested on it. The reason I rated it a 9, instead of 10...major weight gain. 30lbs and it hasn't stopped. I did recently try to switch to Latuda because of weight gain and I was miserable with no sleep. I wish Geodon had worked because I actually lost weight on that.

August 11, 2013 9:35 AM
Review by KimberlyAJ: User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: This medicine worked at first, but after taking it for a few (2) weeks, I developed anxiety & panic attacks. I've had panic attacks in the past but not like these. I wasn't afraid of anything specific; it was like a constant fear. Also, my heart would race so bad. I am being weaned off this & switching to Zyprexa.

August 8, 2013 8:38 PM
Review by Happy and rested: User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Seroquel 100mg saved my life. For 9 months I did not sleep because of an anxiety disorder. I tried to kill myself three times. Finally i was given Seroquel and 130mg trazadone. I have been sleeping well and not depressed for ten years. It has saved my life I am so grateful. Did put on 50lbs better that than being dead. Very grateful.

August 7, 2013 8:09 PM
Review by HopeK7117: User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have tried just about every medicine there is to treat bipolar disorder, and Seroquel hands-down is the best one for me in terms of stability. However, the weight gain has been a problem. I gained 40 pounds on Seroquel. The good news is I've lost 16 pounds of that in 3 1/2 months. It's been hard work, but I am confident I can meet my goal of losing 48 more pounds over the next year.

August 6, 2013 11:28 PM
Review by Abigail2007 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have bipolar, obsessive compulsive disorder, severe anxiety, panic attacks and I cannot shut my mind off without Seroquel. I take 800mg at bedtime and cannot sleep without it.

August 5, 2013 4:45 PM