User Reviews for Seroquel

Learn more about Seroquel.

Seroquel review summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Reviews for Seroquel to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

Review by lipo (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Feeling depressed, cried first thing I woke up.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 18, 2014 8:11 PM

Review by kmanza3:

Works for me.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2014 12:06 AM

Review by tiredoftablets (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Hi, Unfortunately this medication does not suit me as I get a lot of the undesirable side effects. Slurred speech, terrible confusion, drowsiness but not able to sleep, cravings for sugary foods, a sort of spaced out feeling, and restless leg. Apart from that it's great! :) Wish I could continue taking it, but it's not worth the side effects in my case.

February 11, 2014 8:20 PM

Review by solitude solace (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For me personally, the weight gain WAS dose-related. I gained over 200 lbs. by the time I got up to 600mg a day. Even so, it does wonders for my schizo-affective and depression disorders.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2014 10:03 PM

Review by SeroquelBroughtMeBack (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've suffered from bipolar and psychosis as early as 6th grade. It took about 15 years to get seen, by that time I was completely detached from reality. After trying expensive placebos with bad side effects and high hype, I tried Seroquel. It works on the psychosis, mania and depression I've experienced in trade for being a little sleepy. Seroquel is so far the only medication that works by itself & which I can function even after missing a dose (not recommended). It's all about risk versus controlling symptoms with these medications. If you've found something effective for treating the symptoms, the next step is finding the cause. This illness is like a sleeping dragon, you must keep it asleep or you'll get burned, Seroquel helps.

December 8, 2013 6:20 PM

Review by Mom of 2 Schizoaffective:

I have been on Seroquel for several years, mixed with other medicines. Recently tried reducing strength but couldn't sleep or concentrate due to racing thoughts. Keeps me normal (as "normal" as anyone else). Also take Lamictal for mood-stabilizer/anti-depressant and Citalopram for anxiety/depression. Does make me very sleepy so I must take it before 9 pm to feel awake enough to function at 6:30 am Life-saver for me and my family.

September 16, 2013 5:37 PM

Review by gertie67 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Gained excessive amounts of weight. Made me feel catatonic.

March 24, 2013 11:39 AM

Review by gtbaker:

I take Seroquel for schizo-affective disorder. I also take Prolixin in addition to that and an anti-depressant. I have had schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder for about 4 years now. The reason I name both schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder is because I go in and out of delusions that seem very real, but I have discerned to just brush most of them off as normal things I interpret as conspiracies or straight out someone wishing me to be dead. It can be fairly scary but it has made me much stronger and now I still constantly get the voices but no longer do I go months, day after day, of thinking someone out there has it in for me or other delusions. Seroquel, in my opinion has made me much less paranoid.

January 18, 2013 2:54 PM

Very sedating.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 24, 2012 4:44 PM

I have been taking 200 mg of Seroquel now for about 4 years for schizoaffective disorder. I love this medicine, especially after trying Abilify and Risperdal, which made me lethargic and apathetic towards everything. It has also helped with my borderline personality and generalized anxiety disorders.

January 30, 2012 5:35 PM

Seroquel is a life saver. I used to not be able to sleep, used to be stuck in my head. This has granted me a second chance to live a happy life.

January 5, 2012 7:17 PM

Review by cottonkandie:

This medication made me gain lots of weight and after being on it for about a year or so I suddenly stopped being able to breathe after taking it. So I was placed on a different medicine.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 9, 2011 4:01 PM

Review by Wyndrake:

I have been treated for Schizoaffective Disorder and Bipolar 1 since 1998. I have been on many medicines and combinations of medicines. In 2006 I had been off medicines for about a year when I went into psychosis and extremely manic - I was not sleeping and could not relax. The hallucinations and delusions were troubling. I was given Seroquel and on the FIRST NIGHT I slept and slept very well for the first time in months. I woke up with a clear head and was not confused about who or where I was. I did not get the zombie feeling but I was very tired all the time - taking Seroquel 4 times a day. When my dose and frequency were reduced the sleepiness went away. (I take it just at bedtime now). I didn't get weight gain from it. Seroquel was my miracle medicine.

March 31, 2011 4:30 PM

Caused excess morning sleep.

May 11, 2010 3:13 AM

This drug is good for controlling symptoms. You can lead a normal life on this drug. It is sedating at first and on higher doses. I find that the only troublesome side effect has been weight gain (around 2 and a half stones). Overall a good drug.

May 30, 2009 3:10 PM

Review by d9in:

I have been taking Seroquel for a number of years. I have been prescribed numerous other antipsychotics which have had worse side effects than the condition. Love the Seroquel, good nights sleep is the best side effect. Used to get the munchies for chocolate and sweet things. Eat a whole block of chocolate or packet of biscuits. Only take it at night because morning dose makes me a zombie. I don't know if it is addictive but if I miss a dose it makes me all zoned out and crook. I think I will be taking this for the rest of my life but it makes my head clear and stops the hallucinations. I've had some bad life experiences lately and this has stopped me from falling and dealing with what has happened.

May 15, 2009 11:28 PM

I was put on Celexa, Depakote, and Seroquel when I was a month into being 13 years old. I was fine for a week then the voices returned with a vengeance, much worse and far more taunting and tormenting than ever before (or since). I became a zombie, unable to communicate the problems to my doctor or family. In addition, when I described problems to my doctor he insisted Seroquel didn't cause those effects. Drowsiness, craving sugar, problems with walking and balance, and becoming a far more ill person than I was when I began the medication. I gained 60 lbs in three months. When I stopped Seroquel, I returned to "base sanity". My weight returned to normal.

April 26, 2009 7:43 PM