User Reviews for Seroquel

Learn more about Seroquel.

Seroquel Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Seroquel to treat Bipolar Disorder

"So I started on this two weeks ago may need to go a bit stronger as over time when I was younger just tried to mellow out on illegal drugs. Seraquil is the best thing I have tried I am 32 and just been diagnosed with bipolar. Doesn't make me sleepy makes me hungry a lil bit. But has changed my life stopped the agitation and horrible thoughts that run riot in my head. Just slows it done and I am able to see clearly. I am only on a mild dose but in saying this I'm glad I take one when I can feel my mania coming on."

Halz May 23, 2015

"I have been on Seroquel for 2 years. It really is a miracle. It has helped with my mood swings and problems sleeping. The only issue has been the weight gain. I've probably put on 35 lbs and I've never had problem with weight gain. The benefits of this medication make up for the weight gain."

Tlg v March 28, 2015

"I've been on Seroquel for a couple months and I'm surprised at how good it works and how I have minimal side effects. I take 100mg-300mg at night and before my naps, just depending on how tired I already am without the medicine. Like most people, if you don't get ample sleep (8-10 hours), you usually wake up feeling tired & groggy. It usually wears off within a couple hours though. I noticed when I take it my eyes become super red like I just finished smoking weed. I have experienced a little chest pain in my lower rib cage but it's tolerable. Other than that, I sleep like a baby; I have the vivid dreams which in my opinion is neither negative or positive. But it's helped in stabilizing my mood & controlling my swings."

Tay B. March 23, 2015

"I have been taking Seraquel for 10 years of varying dosage until finding the right balance of this medication. It cured my insomnia and dampened the racingthoughts. Very happy with it for those reasons. However. I feel very dizzy and tired around an hour after taking 350mg at night. It levels out the mood swings. Curbs feelings of elation and empathy. Which is quite a price to pay for steady moods. To conclude, Seraquel has had a very positive influence in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder. I think of it as preventative medication that "quietens" the mind. (Hence Quetiapine - it's pharmaceutical name)."

Daviebhoy22 (taken for 10 years or more) March 15, 2015

"I lived with severe mood swings and major depression since I was 7 years old and I started taking Seroquel at 27. It changed my life for the better. It was as if someone had turned on the lights. I was able to identify negative and delusional thoughts and I developed massive insights into my mental health. I've gained 40kg in 7 years though and I'm now trialling alterntives. I had a severe allergic reaction to Saphris, but it did everything that Seroquel did and more. I'm now looking into Zeldox or Latuda."

Seanie (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 28, 2015

"Been on Seroquel XR for 8 years. Can't believe I wasn't on this medicine when I was working , maybe I would not of been alcoholic for 40 years."

retired early February 18, 2015

"Only on week 1 of this med, but I CANNOT believe the change in my mood. I am taking this to treat bipolar 2, anxiety and poor sleep quality. I take 50mg at night and sleep like a baby. Make sure to get 8-10 hours of sleep/night and you won't feel drowsy the next morning. It's eliminated my anxiety entirely and I feel completely stabilized. I haven't had any trouble with weight gain; in fact, I've already lost a few lbs, due to the fact that I no longer feel emotionally-driven to binge eat. No side effects as far as I can tell. An ABSOLUTE MIRACLE DRUG. Just praying the results hold up."

valchicago February 13, 2015

"At first, it was horrible. I felt like I was dying every time I would take it before bed, I felt as if I were to fall asleep I'd never wake up. This lasted 2 weeks maybe a month.... My body eventually adjusted to it, the voices went away. Slowly, but surely. I was also in a serious state of depression, and it takes some time but now after a little over a year of taking it, being bipolar and having countless manic and depressive episodes, Seroquel has saved my life. I've never felt like myself like I do right now in such a long time. The only dumbs down is you have to seriously monitor your weight on this thing, the pounds just pile up if you don't watch your weight carefully.."

ECCENTRICAKIRE November 14, 2014

"I love Seroquel but not the XR type. Helps you to sleep well at night and wake up feeling great. Gives you major munchies at night and woke up with Reeses Pieces all over the bed. Does help with a lot on highs and lows. So for me it's worth a little weight gain. Overall this medicine has changed my life."

kaykay729 November 14, 2014

"Seroquel has worked wonders for me. I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 2, and after 7 months on Seroquel, I feel like a whole new person. I had been severely depressed and was self harming before getting on Seroquel, and now I have never been so happy before! The only problem is the weight gain - I have gained about 20 pounds since I started taking this medicine. But this side effect is worth it to have my depression and anxiety gone!"

Gemini21 November 10, 2014

"When I first went on this medication 300mg I did not like it at all. I had side effects of a type of floating- my head wasn't attached to my body- I'd be disorientated, only for a short time, but frequently at first. I don't really remember any other side effect. I wanted to stop taking this. I was 300 SR then went to normal Seroquel. Being on standard Seroquel helped. I asked to change off Seroquel and was told its a good medicine and just give it time- 6 weeks. Wow, I didn't like that idea. I did give it time, I was tried of a day, so went back to 150mg- over time I've been on 200mg also and now 300mg. I am so grateful to myself for hanging in there. I choose to be on Seroquel, I sleep a deep sleep, for me, I am happy. Very happy."

Koalamaiden - NSW (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 8, 2014

"Got diagnosed with bipolar disorder three months ago, and started on Seroquel 50 mg at night. It has helped me a lot, and I feel like a totally different person (in a good way - I've suffered for 10 years!). At first I just thought I was in a "normal" phase (not manic or depressive) - but the depressions usually sneaks up on me after a few weeks when I've felt normal before. Not had any side-effects, other than restless legs syndrome, but I've had that before, so it wasn't a biggie. This side-effect has also almost disappeared after a few months. Was so scared of weight gain, but I watched what I eat, and work out a lot, instead I've gotten skinnier and healthier. Thumbs up! I got my life back! "

Siri86 November 5, 2014

"I've been taking Seroquel for 7 years, after 20 years of delusional thoughts, mania, and large amounts of depression. It worked within two weeks and I noticed that when I woke up each day that my delusional thoughts were getting easier to identify and let go of. It changed my life. Since taking Seroquel, I have been able to learn how to drive, work in permanent jobs, save money, travel overseas, socialise, have a successful relationship and reconnect with the real me. I have also worked on my cognitive and emotional development and continue to attend counselling. I have gained 30kgs, but this has probably come about due to the combination of Seroquel, inactivity, diet and Sleep Apnea (of which I have only just been diagnosed)."

Seanie October 16, 2014

"When I first took Seroquel, I had the side effects of a type of motion sickness, as my head would whirl about, and I never knew if I was whirling or the surroundings were. I didn't want to stay on it, but was advised to give it longer. And to change from XR to regular. I did, and after about 6 weeks (from memory) I adjusted to it. Yes, I was so tired, went to cut a 300mg into halves, then to 200mg's, now to 300 mg again. Seroquel works for me, I've been on it for approx 18mnths or so. I sleep, my mind doesn't race or think or roam. I get a deep sleep. I was advised to get up early and it will wear off- yes, that happens. But it's not easy."

Koalamaiden October 10, 2014

"This medicine turned me into a zombified eating machine. I put on 30 pounds in one month. It was also extremely sedating. "

Scorpionis (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 1, 2014

"I was prescribed 50mg of Seroquel at bedtime to help sleep. It works wonders for that, it didn't help much with my anxiety. I also take 1,000mg of Depakote per day and 20mg of Dexedrine ER for ADHD. The Depakote is no longer effective enough and my doctor is thinking about switching me to Lithium."

intent2dement (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2014

"Seroquel helped my paranoia and really kept me mentally stable, but I also was tired all the time, sometimes sleeping for 15 hours a day. I also gained 30 pounds within three months of being on Seroquel. I wouldn't recommend this medicine for anyone who does not wish to rapidly gain weight."

0rdinarymadness September 24, 2014

"Somewhat hit or miss on mania, racing thoughts and the like. Pretty effective as a sleep aid though. Currently taking 300mg as needed as it was mainly prescribed for sleep. It is as effective as benzodiazepines in that regard, without the benzo withdrawal. It does leave me feeling gritty and nasty the next morning though, but it's better than insomnia."

AnonAnonAnon September 16, 2014

"Seroquel has worked wonderful for me so far! Levels out my ups and downs. No racing thoughts. Doesn't make me aggressive. Helps with my post traumatic stress disorder also!"

JesusFreak1967 June 16, 2014

"When first diagnosed another medication was prescribed. I then researched Seroquel. Being an insomniac I asked my PVC if I could try it. It made life so much easier. I began to control my agitation with others. I used to fly off the handle and what I call "my crazy" would come out. If looks could kill I would be guilty of numerous killings. I am able to be in situations that are less than desirable without offending anyone. It was a challenge being around others who were not as intelligent and immature whereas now I recognize how I should interact with them. My true personality is seen rather than the perception that followed me for the majority of my life."

eguzman8586 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Helps you stable and calm"

yayo53 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 4, 2014

"I was on Seroquel for a year. I was fat, no energy, restless leg syndrome and elevated glucose. Seroquel has too many serious side effects. "

pookie babe (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 30, 2014

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Took for bipolar. Good side effects: more or less consistently put me to sleep every night. Bad side effects: gained roughly 20 lbs 6 months in, had a difficult time getting up every day, needed more sleep than usual. It helped for awhile, but it mostly made my episodes less severe, did not effectively stop or prevent them."

insanelyquierd (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2014

"Prescribed 600mg for bipolar 1, first three weeks nasty but stick with it these side effects disappear. Taken alongside lithium and I have never felt so well in over 20 years, awesome."

Thecircusrules (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2014

"Seroquel is amazing for me, gave me good nights sleep, calms me down. I take 800 mg along with Tegretol 800 mg."

i2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2014