User Reviews for Seroquel

Learn more about Seroquel.

Seroquel Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 50 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Seroquel to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I have had severe depression and anxiety for a long time. Adding to that, I was sexually assaulted and now also have PTSD. Long story short, I became addicted to opiates and am now in recovery. Being in recovery, I embarked on a journey to get my mental health under control. I was diagnosed with Bi Polar 2 and PTSD. I take Seroquel at night with Lamictal, and Lithium twice daily. The Seroquel is a must for me. After five years of flashbacks, panic attacks, and night terrors over my rape, I can finally get a full night of sleep. I have asthma and it doesn't bother it, and I'm on 100mg per night. I saw one reviewer say do not take seroquel if you have asthma. The truth is EVERYONE is different. Seroquel works great for me."

Jacob Ethridge February 5, 2016

"I tried taking Seroquel when I was a teenager. Everytime I took it it would knock me out & I would sleep the whole day away. Needless to say, I wasn't on it for very long."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

"I was on this med in 2010 for a year. The dose went from 25mg up to 400mg. The first few weeks were very difficult. It knocked me out cold and I had such a blocked nose I could hardly breathe. I toughed it out and my depression lifted. I stopped taking it because of really bad blocked nose. I have just had a major depressive episode (2015) with insomnia. I was prescribed 100mg. It worked within 24 hours. I was able to sleep for 9 hours and feel refreshed and energized. The depression and anxiety have improved dramatically. This time I'll stay on Seroquel."

JaxWebb (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2016

"I almost passed out on 20mg.'s. My pulse was a dangerously low 40 b.p.m.. This is a very dangerous drug that has been linked to sudden deaths when combined with at least 12 other medications."

scammed (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

"I have a child on Seroquel. We've tried Abilify, Risperdal, and Geodon to no avail. Seroquel seems to keep her psychotic symptoms at a whisper instead of shouting in her head. My husband has also used Seroquel for his schizoaffective disorder. He switched to Risperdal because the Seroquel was sedating when ingesting over 50mg and he needed doses during the day. Our daughter is on an average of 500mg a day with no sedating effects whatsoever and we're wondering if she just does not do well on this class of drug since 600mg a day is the highest she can safely go for her age. Nothing seems to keep her psychotic symptoms completely in check, particularly her paranoia."

LizGC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2016

"I am on 600 mg a day 2x300. It is being used to help with depressive episodes of bipolar which I get more than the highs. It seems to of helped stop the very very lows but I still feel low with little energy or motivation. My appetite seems about the same although I have put on weight but that's down to me not working now. Sleepwise I struggle to get to sleep but once I'm asleep I sleep for about 8 hours."

Madmick. January 20, 2016

"My Dr started me out at 200 mg at bedtime and 100 mg in the morning. I have found sleep comes much more naturally. Esp after the 200 dose at bedtime. And the 100mg in the morning keeps me balanced throughout the day.I am happy with my results for my Major depression."

Marine 1 January 20, 2016

"Turned me into a dribbling zombie. Everyone thought I was drunk. Horrible."

salyy65346757 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

"I am dx'd with bipolar II plus other psych diagnoses and have tried multiple meds since 2004 and all of them caused such horrible side effects that I couldn't take them. Now in 2016 I am willing to try again. I fought my Dr for many years and she insisted that If I would only listen to her that I would feel much better and not have to suffer with my rollercoaster emotions. The down is so bad now that I finally couldn't stand myself any longer so I told her I'm willing to try Seroquel. I took it for a month only to find out that it causes VERY low libido. I know that sanity is more important than a libido, but come on!!! Isn't there an RX that works like Seroquel without the low libido effect? Help!!! otherwise this medicine is perfect."

lintek (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

"I'm not sure how I feel about this drug helping with my bipolar. I'm on lamictal for that and was put on seroquel to help with it until I was on a high enough dosage of that and truly did not feel it made any difference. I have stayed on a low dose of seroquel simply because I LOVE the sedative effects. If there was an option on here for the reason we were taking it was "insomnia" I would have put that. I never realized how awful I was sleeping until this medicine. 50mg a night and I get an amazing nights sleep. No more waking up to every little sound despite sleeping with a noise maker. It's amazing."

Mellooo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2016

"I was put on Seroquel for severe anxiety and suspected bipolar. Let me begin with this. Do not EVER TAKE THIS IF YOU HAVE ASTHMA. You know that horrible drying effect that many antihistamines have resulting in asthma attacks? This is much worse. I started out with an 8th of a tablet (12.5mg). This gave me a calm, sleepy feeling that would put me to sleep for bed and would last until roughly 5pm the next day. But when I upped the dose to 37.2mg I had a really bad asthma attack, heart pounding and my ears rang which lasted 2 weeks after I discontinued the med. Not a pleasant experience for someone with severe anxiety. Be very cautious. Up the dosage more slowly than the MD recommends. I was to start 50mg/night"

Tacodog (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2016

"Misdiagnosed as bipolar when it was GAD. Weaned myself off after severe blood pressure and white blood cell drops. Dr. refused to help me stop this drug and refused to change diagnosis. I weaned myself off - it took almost 3 mos. it's been over a year and my sleep pattern has been destroyed. New doctor has me on Trazadone - 250mg, which I took in the past. Now the Trazadone only keeps me asleep 3-4 hours. White blood cell count and blood pressure have normalized. "

M-Li January 10, 2016

"Seroquel is amazing for me, I take 100mg in morning and 300 at night"

equare (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 5, 2015

"I have taken a low dose of Seroquel (100mg) for 9 months. Over this time the full on cravings and my weight have slowly crept up on me. I worry if they keep going like this that I may end up with diabetes. I have put on 12kgs extra since I started on March 5th 2015. I also have no feeling down there during sex- just feels like pressure or a massage- I have no enjoyment. I am also on Lithium and Lovan. Neither of these medications have caused these problems in the past. My boyfriend says I have improved since being on this drug. I think I will with the help of my doctor take myself off this drug."

L4uwz5 December 5, 2015

"Where do I even start? Been fighting my crazy mood and bipolar disorder since I was an adolescent. Was prescribed this years back, and slowly I saw my life start to tangle up. Mood problems got worse, could not feel much remorse or feelings, just dampened emotions that got harder to control. I strongly believe this medicine harmed my mental health during one of the times the brain develops significantly. Been off for exactly a year and still recovering. Finally I can sleep through the night after about 10 months, but still dealing and slowly on the way back from a miserable journey of anxiety, insomnia, and instability. Mood should arguably be stabilized, not muted and worsened by this medication. Be safe"

OnTheWayBack (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 28, 2015

"Seroquel helped with my panic attacks and break downs, but it made me feel lifeless (which I prefer versus crying). However I experienced ever side effect listed and even ended up in the ER! My heart was beating uncontrollably and sharp pains, I thought I was having a heart attack. I had to get monitored for 6 hours. Also I lost strength in moving limbs. It works but too many side effects. "

Oniomania November 27, 2015

"I was misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder 10 years ago (recently found out it is actually PTSD/c-PTSD) and I was started on 1200mg of serquel. I was a zombie! I didn't want to do anything but sleep. I was so tired all day. One day after taking my medication and then sleeping 10 hours, I then got in my car and was driving somewhere and feel asleep at the wheel. I total my car but luckily I wasn't hurt and no one else was involved. I lost my job. The "best" part though was the 110 pound weight gain I had in less then a year of taking this poison. I've been off of the crap for about 3 years now but still can't drop the weight it caused me to gain. Please be careful if considering taking this drug it almost ruined my life."

Doesmynamereallymatter November 25, 2015

"I was on Seroquel from November of 2014 to September of 2015. This medicine, was terrible. By the end of me being on it I was up to 400mg. Before I started taking this medicine I was losing weight, and bam all the weight I lost came back. I was sleeping all the time, I didn't have the energy to do the things I loved. My mood swings were getting worse. I hated myself on it. it was awful."

CNC514 November 9, 2015

"l had immediate results when first taking seroquel l felt alot calmer and mood improved. Since then my symptoms worsened and l have found no benefit at all"

angetunb October 24, 2015

"Seroquel is great. Been taking it for seven years. I take 200mg at night for bipolar. It does take time to get used to it. I does cause me to get hungry 30 minute's after taking in it. Just eat a healthy snack. At first I did gain a couple pounds. Searching on line did not help. Everyone's complains how much you need to eat. It's self control. I make sure to exercise everyday. And trust me it's no easy. There's day I have no energy. But I tell my self I have 3 little girl's and have to make sure I do not get fat and unhealthy. I have bad mood swings with out it. It caused me to make it miserable for my wife and kids and coworkers. Driving was a mission everyday."

Mike cal October 15, 2015

"My mom was prescribed Seroquel in 2010 for dementia ! I talked to my pharmacist. Tom, he showed me the FDA's warning; Seroquel had been given the highest warning "Black Boxed" Mom had Dementia, was 75 yrs old, and weighed 76lbs, she died in October, '11"

JPhurts (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 15, 2015

"I've been taking 100mg for over a month and had quite the reverse of increased appetite or weight gain, although this could be due to the low dose. But also I feel my manic behaviour is not necessarily under full control whilst the tablet also makes it near impossible for me to get up before 7am on consecutive days. All in all though I do feel more balanced, productive and a better sense of self purpose and an ability to plan realistically on this drug. Although at this stage I am keeping a close eye on feelings of paranoia creeping in. It can be hard to tolerate the side effects of this drug though."

Bex8926 October 15, 2015

"This was the first anti-psychotic I was put on, I was pushed into it by my psychiatrist at the time. I was on a low dose, 150mg. I took it for four months before taking myself off it due to extreme tiredness and horrific weight gain...I gained over 2.5 stones in the time I was on it, despite managing my food intake very carefully and exercising rigorously. A couple of years later I wound up being prescribed Seroquel again, this time at 300mg. Same as last time it really knocked me out and once again I gained weight. This med did nothing for my mood, but I kept being told to 'give the medication time to work.' After 6 months I came off it again. Since weaning off the med I haven't slept properly, and that was almost 3 months ago."

WhichMed (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 2, 2015

"Worst medication ever! I took a small dose of 50 mg at bedtime and it gave me the WORST sugar cravings and made me eat uncontrollably!! I took seroquel for 9 months and gained 40 pounds. Do not take this medication it destroyed my health!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 28, 2015

"Of all medications I have taken for mental illnesses, Seroquel has been the most effective. It started working almost immediately. At first 25mg nightly, then 50mg, to 75mg, to 100mg only at bed time due to the drowsiness that accompanies it. I now take 150mg at bed and 25mg with breakfast and 25mg at lunch time which is keeping anxiety at bay. It required an increase monthly for me until now. The biggest benefit was treatment of insomnia, which in turn helped me manage my days better. It hasn't been effective in preventing or even reducing the effects of mania which is why it didn't get a full 10/10 from me. The worse side effect has been the constant weight gain."

TheSunWillRiseToBetterDays September 12, 2015