User Reviews for Seroquel

Learn more about Seroquel.

Seroquel Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Seroquel to treat Bipolar Disorder

"This was the worst I wouldn't give this to my dog. I was given this to treat Bipolar II when I was 22. It screwed with my sugar system, kept me near comatose and gave me tics that thankfully went away when I stopped taking it. I would never take this again."

Ottto May 18, 2016

"I was diagnosed with Bipolar II when I was 15 years old and have used only cannabis since then to deal with it, but after years of cannabis abuse my symptoms started to become uncontrollable, I needed to smoke 2-3 grams of weed a day just to stay physically calm, and even then I had a lot of internal anxiety and no motivation. I could never quit smoking because if I did I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, couldn't sit still, and couldn't feel any joy. I would always relapse if I quit. I started Seroquel a week ago, and haven't had any weed since: I can eat normally, sleep 6-7 hours a night, and feel relatively happy. Plus I have literally no side effects as far as I can tell. I haven't felt this good in years; It's all uphill from here!"

Wizardrous (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

"Pleased with this medication. I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 two years ago at age 48. Started on lamotrigine (300 mg) and buproprion XL (150 mg) taken in the morning, which worked well, but didn't calm the incessant negative and depressing thoughts I was still battling. Seroquel was added recently. I take 300 mg at bedtime. Great sleep medication! This is the best, most effective medicine I've ever used if I need to get to sleep early in order to wake up early in the morning for work. I exercise on my elliptical on average 5 days a week, and haven't experienced any weight gain since taking Seroquel, gratefully. I think weight gain would be less of an issue if more bipolar people committed to exercising on a regular basis."

J Money (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2016

"Been on sroquel for one month. Have gained 9 lbs. otherwise good drug."

Sheila d Eddy April 30, 2016

"I have started to take 200 mg in July 2015. I have gained weight to much , nearly 20 kg. I have taken 100 mg in December 2015 and now I have been taking 50 mg. I want to quit Seroquel. Because I feel like zombie . I sleep very well but I can't get up early and I often go to work too late. During the day I feel tired and asleep. For mind and brain is good but damages of Seroquel is more than benefits of it , I think. It does addiction . I want to quit it or I want to take 25 mg any more."

6495nabas (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 29, 2016

"Been in therapy with a Counselling Psychologist for just over 3 years. Diagnosis from Consultant Psychiatrist - Complex-PTSD, Bipolar Type 2 and Fibromyalgia. Been on Sertraline 200mg for 2 years. Ate Diazepam 2.5mg like smarties after a relationship with an Anti Social Personality Disordered Man. Been taking Quetiapine since December '15 and slowly moved up to 125mg to increase to 200mg. Was taking 7.5mg Mertazipine for sleep though have now removed it due to increase of Quetiapine and weight gain. Overall I'm feeling much calmer, more rational, less reactive and more confident talking to people. After intrusive thoughts, cognitive dissonance, depression, anxiety, insomnia, crying, dissacociation, nightmares etc I'm happy!"

Blu75 March 22, 2016

"The only good side was that it helped me sleep good. But couldn't even get up in the morning I was so drowsy still and felt hung over bad Also I was very lethargic. Like numb and I felt numb. Like crap Almost like seriously depressed without depression state of mind Horrible."

scarlettmple (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

"Weight gain, lethargic 300 dosage at bed time, any more you'll have heads turning in public. Reclusion is a major problem do to zombie affects, messed up part is my roommates had to tell me cuz I didn't even notice. I have not been able to get a job. I tried college and it didn't work. My short term memory is short, can't even remember what I ate for dinner three days ago. I do sleep though. All you can do is push on and forget gl"

Zombie/no job (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 21, 2016

"My liver has always looked fine on ultrasounds. Since I've been taking Seroquel (4 years) my liver is enlarged, fatty and dense. However, I have been on various anti depressive meds for 35 years and the liver has to process this every day. It also made me drowsy. Don't know if Seroquel made my liver this way or just all the years on meds. I am currently coming off Seroquel and onto Lamictal and Rexulti. Fingers crossed! Good luck to you all, it's a very tough condition to live with!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 15, 2016

"Hmm about this medication...I literally do not reccomend it at all! As someone with Bipolar2 I was put on Seroquel for my rapid unstable moods, I was on it for quite some time and I noticed the rapid weight gain not just that but I was literally sleeping all the time! When I was awake I felt like a zombie. Quite frankly it's a nightmare! Thank god I went off it."

Kay(KaylaMarie) (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2016

"I have been medically treating my Bipolar Disorder for 11 years. Finding the right medication and the proper doses is tremendous work. You may find that seroquel is not helping you but that may not be true, you may not have found the right dose and inital side effects do subside. I take 900mg lithium/400mg seroquel /400mg lamotragine. Up until 2013 I was in/out of serious episodes that would last for months and destroy my life. I was taking 150mg of seroquel and my doc was hesitant to increase my dose. This increase of dose saved me. I am no longer controlled by this disease, rarely have episodes. I do hate seroquel for sedation/panic attacks at night, lucid nightmare, weight gain. BUT I have my life back and the negatives are so worth it!"

griffithschris March 12, 2016

"Made me a complete zombie. Threw them out."

floridaangel (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2016

"Although my doctor prescribed it mainly for Bipolar Depression, he will temporarily increase the dose in response to emerging manic symptoms especially racing thoughts, agitation, extreme irritability and dilusions. Positive - Significantly (80-90%) calms my thoughts. Helps me fall and stay asleep. Keeps my depression in check. I am now compliant with all of my medications and trust my doctor. Negative - higher doses blunt my affect. I must take my dosage at bedtime because of tremendous sedation which is when the drug saturation is highest in my blood and brain. If I must get up during the night, for example bathroom, I'm disoriented and dizzy. I could never take it during the day. Weight gain from "munchies." Sex-related problems"

HeadinWest (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 4, 2016

"Hey all, I am writing both as a user and a person seeking additional information on Seroquel XR. I have been on it for about three months. I have found that it eliminated the manic phase of my diagnosis, as well as anxiety. However, tapering back and forth due to side effects has made it difficult to make consistent observations and I have suffered depression and even suicidality as a result. What have others experienced on this topic? I understand bipolar disorder is a multifaceted illness and therefore should be treated from both angles. Are most of you on more than one medication in conjunction with seroquel? I understand I have also had a difficult time taking it as prescribed and this may have hindered my results. Thank you."

Jayms89 February 28, 2016

"I spent months on this medication and all it ever did for me was make me drowsy, all I ever did was sleep, not worth the toxicity to your liver"

Does Not Work (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 25, 2016

"Made me feel like a zombie. I slept too much, gained 20lbs, had restless leg syndrome and congestion at night, increased depression , I had a breakdown of laughing and crying at same time. I lost of reality."

suezyque (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2016

"I have had a negative experience.I was mad at my self because i went against my better judgment. I knew that this one was a weight gaining pill. I kept telling my doctor that I was gaining weight from this pill he insisted that it had nothing to do with seriqul xr he continued to say its what I was eating. I told him last week on the phone he said what have you been eating I went on a fast normally before seriqul I would just lose the extra weight when I went on a diet. This time a week went by it got even worse So I am very happy that I just stopped taking it. It is not worth it. I had a doc for 10 years prior to this one and I had never been diagnosed with bi polar - he calls it a mood disorder. I know I have it and I am open to something new"

candy kane February 16, 2016

"Seroquel, 50mg nightly in addition to Lithium (2 x 200mg) and Cipramil (20mg) a dream combo for me. Stops the racing thoughts and knocks me out cold for 8 hours / night. Slight weight gain of maybe 2-3 kilos but hardly noticeable. I'll take the extra weight over hypomania and insomnia any dat."

peony16 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 13, 2016

"I have had severe depression and anxiety for a long time. Adding to that, I was sexually assaulted and now also have PTSD. Long story short, I became addicted to opiates and am now in recovery. Being in recovery, I embarked on a journey to get my mental health under control. I was diagnosed with Bi Polar 2 and PTSD. I take Seroquel at night with Lamictal, and Lithium twice daily. The Seroquel is a must for me. After five years of flashbacks, panic attacks, and night terrors over my rape, I can finally get a full night of sleep. I have asthma and it doesn't bother it, and I'm on 100mg per night. I saw one reviewer say do not take seroquel if you have asthma. The truth is EVERYONE is different. Seroquel works great for me."

Jacob Ethridge February 5, 2016

"I tried taking Seroquel when I was a teenager. Everytime I took it it would knock me out & I would sleep the whole day away. Needless to say, I wasn't on it for very long."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

"I was on this med in 2010 for a year. The dose went from 25mg up to 400mg. The first few weeks were very difficult. It knocked me out cold and I had such a blocked nose I could hardly breathe. I toughed it out and my depression lifted. I stopped taking it because of really bad blocked nose. I have just had a major depressive episode (2015) with insomnia. I was prescribed 100mg. It worked within 24 hours. I was able to sleep for 9 hours and feel refreshed and energized. The depression and anxiety have improved dramatically. This time I'll stay on Seroquel."

JaxWebb (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2016

"I almost passed out on 20mg.'s. My pulse was a dangerously low 40 b.p.m.. This is a very dangerous drug that has been linked to sudden deaths when combined with at least 12 other medications."

scammed (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

"I have a child on Seroquel. We've tried Abilify, Risperdal, and Geodon to no avail. Seroquel seems to keep her psychotic symptoms at a whisper instead of shouting in her head. My husband has also used Seroquel for his schizoaffective disorder. He switched to Risperdal because the Seroquel was sedating when ingesting over 50mg and he needed doses during the day. Our daughter is on an average of 500mg a day with no sedating effects whatsoever and we're wondering if she just does not do well on this class of drug since 600mg a day is the highest she can safely go for her age. Nothing seems to keep her psychotic symptoms completely in check, particularly her paranoia."

LizGC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2016

"I am on 600 mg a day 2x300. It is being used to help with depressive episodes of bipolar which I get more than the highs. It seems to of helped stop the very very lows but I still feel low with little energy or motivation. My appetite seems about the same although I have put on weight but that's down to me not working now. Sleepwise I struggle to get to sleep but once I'm asleep I sleep for about 8 hours."

Madmick. January 20, 2016

"My Dr started me out at 200 mg at bedtime and 100 mg in the morning. I have found sleep comes much more naturally. Esp after the 200 dose at bedtime. And the 100mg in the morning keeps me balanced throughout the day.I am happy with my results for my Major depression."

Marine 1 January 20, 2016