User Reviews for Seroquel

Learn more about Seroquel.

Bipolar Disorder 140 reviews 48 medications

7.7
Schizoaffective Disorder 18 reviews 29 medications

Schizophrenia 7 reviews 36 medications

Summary of Seroquel reviews 165 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Seroquel

For Bipolar Disorder: Since I started therapy a year ago my bipolar 1 disorder has evened out, but I sometimes have manic, depressed, or both episodes. Also it has caused disturbances in my speech, and uncontrolled movements in my face, arms and legs. The benefits outweigh the risks though and I am satisfied with the way it has helped stabilize my moods.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2012 5:14 PM

Review by HCC:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've taken these pills since I was 19 and I'm 24 now. First I had to take 600 mg and I managed to low them to 450 mg. I wish I could leave them, but I have learnt I need them.So far they have helped me a lot. I do wish I could fight anxiety, weird feelings on my legs while I sleep and the hunger I experience 24/7. But it's a love/hate relationship between this medicine and I. I hate it but I don't think I can ever quit it. Sad for me good for the pharmacies.

February 20, 2012 7:55 PM

Review by reddsite:

For Bipolar Disorder: I don't mind Seroquel, other medicines made my stomach sick, but Seroquel helps. Didn't like weight gain, so I'm dieting. It's better than Geodon.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 18, 2012 10:38 AM

For Insomnia: I tried using following generic hypnotic medicines: zolpidem, zaleplon, nitrazepam, midazolam, and also Xanax and Klonopin. None of these worked well with me. After my psychiatrist prescribed me with Seroquel 25mg I sleep every night like a little baby. Plus Seroquel is non-addictive and it also helps with benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms, since all drugs I used before were benzodiazepins. The only thing that bothers me with Seroquel is the fact that it slows my mind a little bit and this is especially evident in the morning.

February 2, 2012 6:15 PM

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I have been taking 200 mg of Seroquel now for about 4 years for schizoaffective disorder. I love this medicine, especially after trying Abilify and Risperdal, which made me lethargic and apathetic towards everything. It has also helped with my borderline personality and generalized anxiety disorders.

January 30, 2012 5:35 PM

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Puts me to sleep like turning off a light switch. Which has greatly helped me work and be on a normal schedule. Before I would stay up for 24-36 hours straight, then sleep 15 hours and then repeat. Been taking it 7 years. Now when I decide it is bedtime, I take it and 9 out of 10 times I am sleeping in 20-60 minutes. It works just as well for me at 25 mg or 200 mg....same effect. Personally, 15 minutes after I take it though I absolutely will not give my OCD the time of day, not because it goes away but because if I do the medicine makes it harder to focus and deal with whatever is bothering me and it can go on and on worse than normal. And the more drowsy I get the worse it is to focus.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2012 12:16 PM

For Insomnia: I was hospitalized and couldn't sleep due to intense anxiety in the hospital. I was given 50mg Seroquel. I felt the effects within 20 minutes, but then they kept getting stronger for well over an hour until my perceptions of time and space were very distorted. I couldn't even sit in a chair without feeling I was going to fall out of it. Next I started getting paranoid until 16 hours later I took Klonopin and everything went back to normal. If I was at home or work and took Seroquel for the first time, it would have been a disaster. I did sleep for a few hours while I was on it, though.

January 21, 2012 5:05 PM

Review by sleep-ez:

For Insomnia: FANTASTIC! Just wonderful, I take 75mg every night. I chew three 25s, I find this is more effective (although it leaves your tongue feeling funny) and I've been doing that for about 1 year now, and it just knocks me out! but I experience no trouble getting up 6-8 hour's later. I would highly recommend this to someone having trouble sleeping.

January 17, 2012 8:26 PM

Review by Iraq 2003-2007-2009:

For Insomnia: I am a 38 year old male. I have been deployed to Iraq 3 times and have very bad post traumatic stress disorder and could not sleep due to very bad dreams so my DR put me on 50mg Seroquel taken once at bed time and I sleep very well, in fact without it I do not sleep. I still have bad dreams (well that's what I am told) but I do not remember them and sleep right through them. I would recommend Seroquel to anyone who might be having the same problem that I was.

January 9, 2012 8:49 PM

Review by Glamrama2:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Seroquel (400 mg) for 8 years at bedtime for my bipolar II disorder - it works very well in calming the racing thoughts, the insomnia, the manic episodes and the overwhelming depression. However, it has caused some weight gain (20 lbs) and it does cause my heart to pound very hard about an hour and a half after I take it. Therefore my doctor has recently switched me to Geodon but I am still taking the Seroquel at 200 mg every other night because I was having withdrawal from stopping suddenly. Hopefully I will lose the weight I have gained on the Seroquel and will not experience the heart pounding side effect. Other than that, I highly recommend Seroquel. I give it an 8/10.

January 7, 2012 1:27 AM

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Seroquel is a life saver. I used to not be able to sleep, used to be stuck in my head. This has granted me a second chance to live a happy life.

January 5, 2012 7:17 PM

Review by eli c.:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Have been on and off Seroquel for a few years for severe obsessive compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. Self harm has been a big compulsion for me. With this medicine it really helps reduce that and many other compulsions. Only big side effect is weight gain. But after being it for half a year I realize I'd rather be over weight then have the symptoms i typically have.

December 28, 2011 1:24 PM

Review by stillgoofy:

For Bipolar Disorder: Was taking it for Bipolar, am also suffering from insomnia and this helped both very much!

December 15, 2011 7:43 PM

For Depression: Have been on Seroquel for 4 weeks for depression. I take it before bed. Still experiencing a "hangover" type feeling in the mornings. I gained 8 pounds in the first 3 weeks I took. Makes me want to eat even when I am not hungry. However, I am not crying as much, can handle day-to-day life better, and I haven't had chest pain or racing heart beats since I started, which is a great improvement.

December 13, 2011 1:36 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I've had bad reactions to every mood stabilizer I've tried, but this was truly the scariest. I had to withdraw from college because I was sleeping constantly, crying for 8 hours at a time, and hallucinating. I eventually became suicidal and landed myself in the hospital for 2 weeks. I know that everyone reacts differently and finding the bipolar cocktail is a painful trial and error process, but if you have this experience, I wanted you to know you are not alone.

December 9, 2011 3:31 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: At age 19 I have been taking Seroquel for more than a decade, as I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder extremely young. Seroquel is not a quick fix for an incurable syndrome that those diagnosed will continue to have to live with for the rest of their lives. Seroquel did not fix my sleep problems completely, although it did at first. Now I have to take extra sleep medication to quell my continually racing thoughts. I am still moody and I still do have meltdowns, but the frequency has decreased drastically. What Seroquel and other antipsychotics allow you to do is function in daily life to the best degree possible. I'm not saying everyone with manic depression should take it, because bipolar disorder is a different experience for everyone.

December 5, 2011 8:23 PM

Review by Lilylola:

For Insomnia: I would NOT recommend taking this medication for longer than a few weeks for insomnia. It works amazingly well at first, but then, over the course of time, you will need to up the dosage to get the same result. Over time, you will find that the medication makes you groggy and can cause weight gain. Then, when you try to get off, it is very, very hard. I was only on 50mgs for 6 months, and it has taken 2 months for my sleep to occur naturally more than in 2 hour increments. Overall it made my insomnia worse.

December 5, 2011 3:49 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Seroquel 200mg for over a year for Bipolar Disorder. After years of taking antidepressants I couldn't figure out why they weren't working. I was having really bad manic episodes that would last days to weeks, in which I was staying up for days at a time, spending money I didn't have and extreme OCD. My anxiety and mood swings were spinning out of control and I was failing as a mother. I started therapy and Seroquel and noticed an immediate difference in my manic episodes and insomnia. I gained weight at first but have since lost it over the course of the year. I am taking Aderrall during the day and I am back in college, working as a full time accountant and am able to relax at night with my family.

December 4, 2011 9:03 PM

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: It helped with my OCD intrusive thoughts, but made me VERY agitated and a feeling of skin crawling. Even at 1/4 of a tablet and I was really anxious.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2011 3:45 PM

For Insomnia: Taking 25mg. Works fantastically! Takes about an hour on 25mg (used to take 50mg and it put me out in 30 mins, however I was required at least 8 hours of sleep. Many times my alarm wouldn't even wake me up on 50mg). However, like just about everyone else said, if I don't take it, I will NOT sleep. Also experienced weight gain (25 lbs in 2 months) so I am going to see if another sleep medication will work the same with less side effects. Does make me quite hungry about 30 mins after taking it, and I can't sleep on an empty stomach.

November 25, 2011 9:58 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Seroquel (along with a myriad of other psychiatric medication) for 10 years at a dose of 600mg at night. For a while I would get so sedated that while sleeping I would stop breathing and jump awake feeling like I was drowning. While the medicine has been very helpful, I am starting to titrate it down in the hope of losing the 15kg that I put on when I started it. I now find it impossible to sleep without it so I'm coming off it very slowly hoping that my other medicines will keep my mood balanced. Overall a really good medication.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2011 10:04 PM

Review by kashicrazy:

For Bipolar Disorder: BEST medication for Bipolar I Disorder! I have had psychotic episodes my entire life, up for weeks, voices, could never sleep, screaming at night! This medication was my savior. Initially I gained weight. I was eating carbs like crazy. But after my moods stabilized I started enjoying life and the weight started coming off. There are many different medicines out there. If one doesn't work, don't give up. Try something else, work with your doctor to adjust the dosage. I am up to 600mg at night. I wish I would have found this years ago!

November 12, 2011 11:40 PM

For Depression: In October 2010 I had a psychotic attack. It appears that my old medicine escitalopram (taken since 2004) has failed to treat my ongoing depressions. Since have transferred onto this medicine about six months ago by a psychiatrist. Taken with escitalopram I gained 1.5 stones in weight. No longer taking escitalopram the weight has dropped off of me. Now taking a dosage of 200 mg daily this medicine is not working on either the hallucinations or the depression. May need a stronger dosage and/or take in combination with an antidepressant.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2011 1:37 PM

For Depression: This medicine really helped me with both depression and sleeplessness, the only negative side effects were that I tended to need at least 9-10 hours of sleep a night rather than my usual 7-8. Also I had some weight gain due to significantly increased appetite after each dosage.

October 29, 2011 3:37 PM

Review by hadrian99:

For Insomnia: I have had Parkinson's for 10 years. Six months ago, I was prescribed Seroquel 1/2 25mg at bedtime to "clean up my sleep -anxiety". Works fine except I began wetting the bed after being asleep for 5 - 6 hours. The Seroquel makes me feel better but I have to solve the bed wetting problem.

October 28, 2011 7:44 PM