Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Seroquel

Learn more about Seroquel.

Bipolar Disorder 147 reviews 46 medications

7.8
Schizophrenia 9 reviews 36 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 20 reviews 29 medications

6.8
Summary of Seroquel reviews 176 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Seroquel

Review by Hang in there (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I have been suffering with severe anxiety and depression after developing panic attacks. I have always suffered with generalized anxiety but have not had panic attacks for over 12 years. I haven't taken any medication during that time. I was driving home one evening and out of nowhere a severe panic attack hit me and left me immobilized on a bridge where I just froze. Fatigue, anxiousness, guilt and dread. While I am receiving help from a counselor and my GP, I have been taking Zoloft 100mg in the morning and 50mg of Seroquel. Seroquel has helped me considerably. I take Seroquel at 6pm which usually helps me fall asleep by 9.30pm and wake around 7am. This reduces the hangover effect. I am feeling better since taking Seroquel.

May 5, 2012 7:59 PM

For Insomnia: Take pill, fall asleep within 20 minutes.

April 26, 2012 1:28 AM

Review by Markus A:

For Insomnia: I also completely agree with the first review. I have tried 9 sleep-aid medicines, including high doses of Ambien and Ambien CR. The medicines for sleep "insomnia" really do nothing for people with true insomnia. Insomnia is a condition of the brain where your mind essentially does not stop working at night. Whether you are worried about something, excited, or are just thinking about something you saw on T.V or read in a paper during the day, you will not fall asleep until 20 minutes before you have to awaken. Sleep-aid medicines help people who just have poor sleep habits, like eating right before bed, etc. Seroquel actually suppresses your brain wave function and helps you mentally "shut off." No weight gain for me.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2012 4:12 PM

Review by Hopelessromantiq:

For Insomnia: I started taking Seroquel about 10 years ago. I have to take about 600mg a night plus Ambien to get a good nights sleep (this is as prescribed by my doctor). I don't know what I would do without it. It changed my life when I realized what a good nights sleep could do. My depression improved just by sleeping better. I've never had any terrible side effects. I do tend to have to eat after I take it as it seems to make it work faster. I did have a small amount of weight gain (5-10lbs) but nothing like when I tried Zyprexa (30-40lbs)! Seroquel is definitely something you should ask your doctor about!

April 25, 2012 1:41 PM

Review by pray4snow:

For Bipolar Disorder: This is an update of my use of Seroquel. I have been on 800 mg./day for over a year now. My doctor had to keep increasing the dose due to stubborn anxiety/depression. My moods have calmed down a lot, not so many highs and lows. I do still see a therapist which helps with coping with life stresses and behavioral difficulties. I sleep a lot, between 8-10 hours nightly. I still take a small amount of Ambien just to help shut down the racing thoughts in my mind. I am having a hard time with my weight. I want to eat the wrong things all the time. I'm 15lbs. heavier now then I was before taking Seroquel, but the Wellbutrin I was on made me not want to eat ever again so I was way under weight, 125lbs. at 5"8' tall.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2012 12:34 PM

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I have been suffering with borderline personality disorder almost my entire life. Within a few days of taking Seroquel I noticed an incredible difference in my mood balance, my paranoia. The biggest difference I noticed was I no longer felt the need to be in crisis. Social settings were easily handled, my work life improved overnight. I used to use alcohol to expand on my crisis moments & friends and family believed me a hopeless alcoholic. Now I have no urge to drink. I wake up focused, ready and able to face the day. Most of my days are almost completely positive. I would recommend.

April 21, 2012 10:54 AM

For Insomnia: I am 21 and have trouble sleeping, due mostly from my depression, anxiety, etc. I got prescribed Seroquel (50mg one before bedtime) about a year ago and it has helped me SO MUCH in a couple ways, INSTANTLY --helped me sleep, and stay asleep, at first, couple weeks was drowsy when I woke but after a month or two of taking it I wake up feeling great. (Makes sleep amazing, and have the most vivid awesome dreams) Over time taking this medication it has lowered my depression and anxiety. I've noticed hard situations and emotions are much easier to handle. I can stay calm compared to always freaking out.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2012 1:02 AM

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: My doctor prescribed Seroquel for a number of Psychiatric conditions I have. They are: Depression (already on 40mg Celexa for this, Seroquel helped as an add on), OCD, Generalized anxiety disorder, Anorexia, mood instability. Seroquel helps with all these conditions, although it causes moderate constipation.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2012 5:38 PM

Review by Happyface Chick:

For Depression: After a 6 week period of a severe depressive episode with panic attacks and extreme anxiety, I checked myself into the hospital. The doctor completely changed my meds to Prozac, Wellbutrin, Klonopin, and at bedtime 10 mg Ambien and 400 mg Seroquel. This combination has worked wonders for me. I started falling and staying asleep for a good 8 hours, my ruminating has stopped almost completely, and my depression has really lifted. I attribute a lot of that to the Seroquel, in that it augments the effects of my antidepressants, stops my mind from racing, and has me sleeping well. The two side effects I've had are grogginess (which has gotten better) and the munchies. I keep fresh fruits and veggies handy at night to snack on instead of junk.

April 10, 2012 10:28 PM

For Insomnia: I was prescribed Seroquel 50mg a few years ago after an eighteen-year battle with constant sleep problems. And it does help me get to sleep every night; my dosage has never changed. My only complaints are the RAMPANT hunger I experience before giving in to the fatigue and the dizziness/nausea when trying to stand for too long after the effects have set in. As far as sleeping medication goes, Seroquel takes the cake. I don't notice any psychoactive effects aside from the sedation.

April 3, 2012 12:44 AM

Review by =O:

For Bipolar Disorder: I used to seek out and attempt to prolong manic highs, to the point where I was nearly oblivious to anything outside of the experience of the moment, and I was able to put off duties and worries comfortably in my own psychosis. The antidepressants I had been taking prior (sertraline, Wellbutrin) seemed to exacerbate my manic highs. Seroquel has taken the edge off of the manic episodes, and allowed me to deal with quitting other medicines. It is highly sedating, however I would say it has a very minimal effect on cognition. I was far more concerned with my thought processing while under the influence of 2 anti-depressants and Vyvanse for suspected ADD.

March 9, 2012 11:12 AM

Review by Jennifer M:

For Insomnia: I take 100mgs of Seroquel at bedtime (for almost a year now) and I have started to build a tolerance to it so it takes about a hour or two until I start feeling tired but once I am alseep..I am Sound Asleep!! I have read many post about the weight gain. I have gained about 30lbs since I've started taking Seroquel. I spoke to my doctor about it and he is now switching me to Chloral Hydrate 500mgs ONLY due to my weight gain and concern. I hope the new medication works just as good. Hopefully I can shake off this weight and get a good nights rest but over all, I would recommend Seroquel to ANYONE dealing with Insomnia. I am definitely not throwing the rest of my Seroquel script out just in case this new medicine is a flop. Good Luck To All.

March 1, 2012 1:30 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: Since I started therapy a year ago my bipolar 1 disorder has evened out, but I sometimes have manic, depressed, or both episodes. Also it has caused disturbances in my speech, and uncontrolled movements in my face, arms and legs. The benefits outweigh the risks though and I am satisfied with the way it has helped stabilize my moods.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2012 5:14 PM

Review by HCC:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've taken these pills since I was 19 and I'm 24 now. First I had to take 600 mg and I managed to low them to 450 mg. I wish I could leave them, but I have learnt I need them.So far they have helped me a lot. I do wish I could fight anxiety, weird feelings on my legs while I sleep and the hunger I experience 24/7. But it's a love/hate relationship between this medicine and I. I hate it but I don't think I can ever quit it. Sad for me good for the pharmacies.

February 20, 2012 7:55 PM

Review by reddsite:

For Bipolar Disorder: I don't mind Seroquel, other medicines made my stomach sick, but Seroquel helps. Didn't like weight gain, so I'm dieting. It's better than Geodon.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 18, 2012 10:38 AM

For Insomnia: I tried using following generic hypnotic medicines: zolpidem, zaleplon, nitrazepam, midazolam, and also Xanax and Klonopin. None of these worked well with me. After my psychiatrist prescribed me with Seroquel 25mg I sleep every night like a little baby. Plus Seroquel is non-addictive and it also helps with benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms, since all drugs I used before were benzodiazepins. The only thing that bothers me with Seroquel is the fact that it slows my mind a little bit and this is especially evident in the morning.

February 2, 2012 6:15 PM

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I have been taking 200 mg of Seroquel now for about 4 years for schizoaffective disorder. I love this medicine, especially after trying Abilify and Risperdal, which made me lethargic and apathetic towards everything. It has also helped with my borderline personality and generalized anxiety disorders.

January 30, 2012 5:35 PM

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Puts me to sleep like turning off a light switch. Which has greatly helped me work and be on a normal schedule. Before I would stay up for 24-36 hours straight, then sleep 15 hours and then repeat. Been taking it 7 years. Now when I decide it is bedtime, I take it and 9 out of 10 times I am sleeping in 20-60 minutes. It works just as well for me at 25 mg or 200 mg....same effect. Personally, 15 minutes after I take it though I absolutely will not give my OCD the time of day, not because it goes away but because if I do the medicine makes it harder to focus and deal with whatever is bothering me and it can go on and on worse than normal. And the more drowsy I get the worse it is to focus.

January 23, 2012 12:16 PM

For Insomnia: I was hospitalized and couldn't sleep due to intense anxiety in the hospital. I was given 50mg Seroquel. I felt the effects within 20 minutes, but then they kept getting stronger for well over an hour until my perceptions of time and space were very distorted. I couldn't even sit in a chair without feeling I was going to fall out of it. Next I started getting paranoid until 16 hours later I took Klonopin and everything went back to normal. If I was at home or work and took Seroquel for the first time, it would have been a disaster. I did sleep for a few hours while I was on it, though.

January 21, 2012 5:05 PM

Review by sleep-ez:

For Insomnia: FANTASTIC! Just wonderful, I take 75mg every night. I chew three 25s, I find this is more effective (although it leaves your tongue feeling funny) and I've been doing that for about 1 year now, and it just knocks me out! but I experience no trouble getting up 6-8 hour's later. I would highly recommend this to someone having trouble sleeping.

January 17, 2012 8:26 PM

Review by Iraq 2003-2007-2009:

For Insomnia: I am a 38 year old male. I have been deployed to Iraq 3 times and have very bad post traumatic stress disorder and could not sleep due to very bad dreams so my DR put me on 50mg Seroquel taken once at bed time and I sleep very well, in fact without it I do not sleep. I still have bad dreams (well that's what I am told) but I do not remember them and sleep right through them. I would recommend Seroquel to anyone who might be having the same problem that I was.

January 9, 2012 8:49 PM

Review by Glamrama2:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Seroquel (400 mg) for 8 years at bedtime for my bipolar II disorder - it works very well in calming the racing thoughts, the insomnia, the manic episodes and the overwhelming depression. However, it has caused some weight gain (20 lbs) and it does cause my heart to pound very hard about an hour and a half after I take it. Therefore my doctor has recently switched me to Geodon but I am still taking the Seroquel at 200 mg every other night because I was having withdrawal from stopping suddenly. Hopefully I will lose the weight I have gained on the Seroquel and will not experience the heart pounding side effect. Other than that, I highly recommend Seroquel. I give it an 8/10.

January 7, 2012 1:27 AM

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Seroquel is a life saver. I used to not be able to sleep, used to be stuck in my head. This has granted me a second chance to live a happy life.

January 5, 2012 7:17 PM

Review by eli c.:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Have been on and off Seroquel for a few years for severe obsessive compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. Self harm has been a big compulsion for me. With this medicine it really helps reduce that and many other compulsions. Only big side effect is weight gain. But after being it for half a year I realize I'd rather be over weight then have the symptoms i typically have.

December 28, 2011 1:24 PM

Review by stillgoofy:

For Bipolar Disorder: Was taking it for Bipolar, am also suffering from insomnia and this helped both very much!

December 15, 2011 7:43 PM