User Reviews for Seroquel

Learn more about Seroquel.

Bipolar Disorder 158 reviews 46 medications

7.8
Schizophrenia 10 reviews 37 medications

7.1
Schizoaffective Disorder 21 reviews 28 medications

6.9
Summary of Seroquel reviews 189 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Seroquel

For Depression "I have been taking 150MGx2 along with 10MG of Lexapro to help with chronic depression. Due to divorce this summer, I told my Dr I was feeling more depressed and he raised my dose of Seroquel to 200x2 at bed time. I am a teacher and the last 2 days I have not been able to get up. I start to get dressed and wake up hours later standing at the mirror with a toothbrush in my hand. Lucky for me we don't have students yet but I am terrified I will continue oversleeping and miss my classes. Also, I am having muscle spasms in my right hand, dropping things I am holding, throwing eggs across the room. The only change in my routine is the bump up in dose so the problem has got to be that. "

EngTeacherJenny (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I was on seroquel for only a few weeks, but that was more than enough. I had hallucinations and gained a significant amount of weight in that time. It did help me sleep at night and helped with my racing thoughts, but that's about it."

Anonymous August 14, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I am having Seroquel blues. Just recently my normal dosage of 400mg went 200mg more and that 200 I must take during the day. I am so frustrated trying to find out how long does it take for the body to get used to taking the medication during the day. I always feel like I am in slow motion and unable to be patient with others, having irritability and have to take naps during the day to overcome the drowsiness. I know this medicine is important because it helps with the mania, paranoia, and suicidal ideation. "

jwilliams1980 (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2012

For Insomnia "I've been through sleep studies, medications and all. This particular prescription did NOT allow me to sleep on 50mgs 2x a day and 500mgs at night. The only thing it did do was wipe my memory of previous day."

Anonymous July 30, 2012

For Borderline Personality Disorder "I have been on these tablets for 3 days now, for border line personality. I've been so tired after I take the 100mg at night but my anger is still a problem, and I'm feeling a tiny bit less like I'm lonely and no one understands me and my emotions. But honestly not much of a change. I just still don't know if my life's going to get any better."

Hazza July 19, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I had a bad reaction to an anti-inflammatory misdiagnosed as bipolar. This medicine causes psychosis in an individual wrongly prescribed it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 13, 2012

For Insomnia "I take 150mg at night and it's the best medicine I've ever tried. It does make me very hungry."

dugluvsleep (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 8, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine is great for sleep and helping anxiety, but if you have responsibilities, work, school, kids, ANYTHING, then be prepared. I am only on 100mg and although I feel calmer and not so irritable, I just feel sort of dozed and no motivation to do anything, not even simple things like taking a shower or making something to eat. I woke up this morning needing to go to the bathroom and it seemed like an overwhelming task and I was stumbling around like when you are drunk. If you don't have to work or answer to anyone then it's fine because you can just space out and not have such negative emotions and feel better."

Anonymous July 5, 2012

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "300 mg 4x/day. I used to have horrible hyper-vigilance, hyper-startle, anxiety, paranoia, insomnia symptoms. NOTHING (meditation, yoga, EMDR, etc.) helped that much, let alone fix it. So, the doctor said to try this. Because of my side-effect sensitivity, my doctor started me on 25 mg. That first night, I slept a full night for the first time in months. But then I started sleeping too much - up to 14 hrs a day on the weekends. We backed off to 12.5 mg & my life CHANGED. I'm under more stress right now so my dose is back to 25 mg & I'm doing great on it. It pulls me down out of that watchfulness that prevents me from doing anything but surviving (and poorly, at that). For me, after a near-lifetime of struggle, this is a miracle."

DylanS (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Seroquel has been a very helpful sleep aid."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2012

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Very sedating."

Anonymous May 24, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I was put on Seroquel 300mg it worked great but after a few months started having severe constipation and bloating around the time I took it. Now on on another medicine to see if this resolves. Pray it does."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2012

For Schizophrenia "No anti-psychotic medicine is perfect. But Seroquel is quite okay. Gives you a good night of sleep. You can feel dizzy. But the best is no extra pyramidal symptoms. I tried 4 or 5 other antipsychotics but this as good as it gets considering side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 18, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Seroquel helps both manic and depressive symptoms, however is much better when combined with other mood stabilizing medications. Good for providing sleep, but it can be too sedating until you get used to it (just take it consistently and stick with it). Slight raise in appetite for carbs but nothing a healthy diet and exercise can't counteract which is what you should be doing if you have a serious mental illness anyway. A good first medicine to try, because it's a mood stabilizer (for both types of episodes), anti-psychotic, sleep medication, and anxiolytic! It's great for controlling anxiety and making you feel calmer, and means you don't have to take Valium or sleeping pills which can be addictive - whereas Seroquel is NOT addictive."

Katan May 8, 2012

For Depression "I have been suffering with severe anxiety and depression after developing panic attacks. I have always suffered with generalized anxiety but have not had panic attacks for over 12 years. I haven't taken any medication during that time. I was driving home one evening and out of nowhere a severe panic attack hit me and left me immobilized on a bridge where I just froze. Fatigue, anxiousness, guilt and dread. While I am receiving help from a counselor and my GP, I have been taking Zoloft 100mg in the morning and 50mg of Seroquel. Seroquel has helped me considerably. I take Seroquel at 6pm which usually helps me fall asleep by 9.30pm and wake around 7am. This reduces the hangover effect. I am feeling better since taking Seroquel."

Hang in there (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2012

For Insomnia "Take pill, fall asleep within 20 minutes."

Anonymous April 26, 2012

For Insomnia "I also completely agree with the first review. I have tried 9 sleep-aid medicines, including high doses of Ambien and Ambien CR. The medicines for sleep "insomnia" really do nothing for people with true insomnia. Insomnia is a condition of the brain where your mind essentially does not stop working at night. Whether you are worried about something, excited, or are just thinking about something you saw on T.V or read in a paper during the day, you will not fall asleep until 20 minutes before you have to awaken. Sleep-aid medicines help people who just have poor sleep habits, like eating right before bed, etc. Seroquel actually suppresses your brain wave function and helps you mentally "shut off." No weight gain for me."

Markus A April 25, 2012

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia "I started taking Seroquel about 10 years ago. I have to take about 600mg a night plus Ambien to get a good nights sleep (this is as prescribed by my doctor). I don't know what I would do without it. It changed my life when I realized what a good nights sleep could do. My depression improved just by sleeping better. I've never had any terrible side effects. I do tend to have to eat after I take it as it seems to make it work faster. I did have a small amount of weight gain (5-10lbs) but nothing like when I tried Zyprexa (30-40lbs)! Seroquel is definitely something you should ask your doctor about!"

Hopelessromantiq April 25, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "This is an update of my use of Seroquel. I have been on 800 mg./day for over a year now. My doctor had to keep increasing the dose due to stubborn anxiety/depression. My moods have calmed down a lot, not so many highs and lows. I do still see a therapist which helps with coping with life stresses and behavioral difficulties. I sleep a lot, between 8-10 hours nightly. I still take a small amount of Ambien just to help shut down the racing thoughts in my mind. I am having a hard time with my weight. I want to eat the wrong things all the time. I'm 15lbs. heavier now then I was before taking Seroquel, but the Wellbutrin I was on made me not want to eat ever again so I was way under weight, 125lbs. at 5"8' tall."

pray4snow April 21, 2012

For Borderline Personality Disorder "I have been suffering with borderline personality disorder almost my entire life. Within a few days of taking Seroquel I noticed an incredible difference in my mood balance, my paranoia. The biggest difference I noticed was I no longer felt the need to be in crisis. Social settings were easily handled, my work life improved overnight. I used to use alcohol to expand on my crisis moments & friends and family believed me a hopeless alcoholic. Now I have no urge to drink. I wake up focused, ready and able to face the day. Most of my days are almost completely positive. I would recommend."

Anonymous April 21, 2012

For Insomnia "I am 21 and have trouble sleeping, due mostly from my depression, anxiety, etc. I got prescribed Seroquel (50mg one before bedtime) about a year ago and it has helped me SO MUCH in a couple ways, INSTANTLY --helped me sleep, and stay asleep, at first, couple weeks was drowsy when I woke but after a month or two of taking it I wake up feeling great. (Makes sleep amazing, and have the most vivid awesome dreams) Over time taking this medication it has lowered my depression and anxiety. I've noticed hard situations and emotions are much easier to handle. I can stay calm compared to always freaking out. "

Anonymous April 16, 2012

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "My doctor prescribed Seroquel for a number of Psychiatric conditions I have. They are: Depression (already on 40mg Celexa for this, Seroquel helped as an add on), OCD, Generalized anxiety disorder, Anorexia, mood instability. Seroquel helps with all these conditions, although it causes moderate constipation."

Anonymous April 13, 2012

For Depression "After a 6 week period of a severe depressive episode with panic attacks and extreme anxiety, I checked myself into the hospital. The doctor completely changed my meds to Prozac, Wellbutrin, Klonopin, and at bedtime 10 mg Ambien and 400 mg Seroquel. This combination has worked wonders for me. I started falling and staying asleep for a good 8 hours, my ruminating has stopped almost completely, and my depression has really lifted. I attribute a lot of that to the Seroquel, in that it augments the effects of my antidepressants, stops my mind from racing, and has me sleeping well. The two side effects I've had are grogginess (which has gotten better) and the munchies. I keep fresh fruits and veggies handy at night to snack on instead of junk."

Happyface Chick April 10, 2012

For Insomnia "I was prescribed Seroquel 50mg a few years ago after an eighteen-year battle with constant sleep problems. And it does help me get to sleep every night; my dosage has never changed. My only complaints are the RAMPANT hunger I experience before giving in to the fatigue and the dizziness/nausea when trying to stand for too long after the effects have set in. As far as sleeping medication goes, Seroquel takes the cake. I don't notice any psychoactive effects aside from the sedation."

Anonymous April 3, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I used to seek out and attempt to prolong manic highs, to the point where I was nearly oblivious to anything outside of the experience of the moment, and I was able to put off duties and worries comfortably in my own psychosis. The antidepressants I had been taking prior (sertraline, Wellbutrin) seemed to exacerbate my manic highs. Seroquel has taken the edge off of the manic episodes, and allowed me to deal with quitting other medicines. It is highly sedating, however I would say it has a very minimal effect on cognition. I was far more concerned with my thought processing while under the influence of 2 anti-depressants and Vyvanse for suspected ADD. "

=O March 9, 2012