User Reviews for Wellbutrin

Learn more about Wellbutrin.

Major Depressive Disorder 9 reviews 44 medications

7.9
Depression 211 reviews 75 medications

7.6
Summary of Wellbutrin reviews 220 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Wellbutrin

Review by struggler79:

For Depression: I am a 35 year old woman, who has taken meds for 1/2 her life. I struggle with obsessive compulsive disorder, intrusive thoughts and overall depression. Wellbutrin.. I take 150mg a day. It has changed my life.. I have less obsessive thinking, more motivation and for some reason care way less about what people think.

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 17, 2015 11:43 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Wellbutrin SR 150s, which initially had positive outcomes on my depression, probably the best I've tried, and I've tried a lot the past years. It took a bit to get the optimal dose. At 300 mg it was causing a cascade of side effects, anxiety, palpitations, sweating. Doc helped me back down to 100 mg with no side effects. The depression is just as gone as the initial 300 mg. Wellbutrin also developed a positive outcome in mere days - a major plus.

January 8, 2015 9:08 AM

Review by jkn1416:

For Depression: Before starting Wellbutrin I was so depressed, crying all the time, no motivation, no energy, no ability to make decisions or follow through with them, no desire to go anywhere. I've been taking Wellbutrin for about 3 weeks and within a 5 days I was noticing a difference. The crying has stopped, I'm more motivated, I have more energy and I'm making decisions I couldn't before. I have been active, forcing myself to go to the gym but now I'm more eager to go. Wellbutrin has made a huge difference for me.

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 1, 2015 4:27 PM

Review by depressed no more (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I have been on bupropion for about a year, 150mg taken every morning. I noticed a difference on day 2. Everything was just normal. Not bad normal, but good normal, like you woke up after having a really good sleep - and like a weight or pressure has been lifted. It's really hard to describe. Everything seems better. I kid you not. Music sounds clearer, looking around outside, it looks clearer...like I am out of a fog. So...I tried an experiment while I went on vacation. Didn't take anything for 2 weeks. My mood slowly returned to negative. Little things ticked me off, that shouldn't have. I decided to go back on. Same effect on the next day, mood lifted. It gives me slight insomnia, but also takes away some appetite. Great.

December 10, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by ChiefChuck:

For Depression: Recently I retired from public safety. I should have been happy and content to have a lot of free time. My friends all said I looked rested and better than I had in years. What they did not know is how depressed I was and how much I missed the work and my work friends. Reluctantly my doctor prescribed Bupropion HCL 150 mg for seven days then 300 mg daily in the AM. After the first day, I was already feeling better. I just finished the first two weeks and I'm feeling so much better. Occasionally I still have negative thoughts. Side effects include anxiety and an elevated BP. I'm happy with the results and believe the medication has taken me away from the edge. I will post updates periodically.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2014 9:08 AM

Review by Mädchen (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I suffer from major anxiety to the point where it feels like my chest is going to crush itself from the tension. I also have tendencies to get panic attacks at random times along with a feeling a doom and gloom ever hanging over my head. While I never reached a point of suicidal thoughts I did have weeks and sometimes months of listlessness where I didn't want do anything, see anyone, or be anywhere. I felt like nothing mattered. After being on Wellbutrin I am happy to say these incidents haven't occurred again . Unlike other medicines I have tried in the past, this one has had zero personality effect. I feel like myself, the one who was always trying to bust out of the anxiety ridden zombie that I was.

December 4, 2014 8:41 AM

Review by It Can Work Fast (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: My wife passed away and I went into a deep depression. I was put on Wellbutrin and told by my nurse it would be at least 4 weeks. In just 3 days and I was feeling great, clear headed, I smiled, I ate normally.

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2014 7:57 PM

Review by JaseyRae (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: When first taking Wellbutrin, my mouth became really dry, I got a few weird headaches, and I felt some physical numbness when I touched my skin; However, after a month the symptoms were almost non-existent and my depression and anxiety improved drastically. Also, my doctor prescribed it to me to help with ADD/ADHD. I noticed that my focus was also better. This may be simply because anxiety can cause you to lack attention and it fixed the anxiety, but either way it worked great for me.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2014 1:22 PM

Review by BrianAZ:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I'm male, 54 years old and weigh about 180 LBS. The first time I tried Wellbutrin, it was 150mg twice a day. It was too much for me. Side effects: Jitters, hyperactive, constant bouncing of knee when sitting, clenching teeth, weight loss, tinnitus, insomnia, dull headache in back of head. I decided to quit Wellbutrin but recently resumed using it. I only take 75mg in the morning (5 AM) then 75mg at 11 AM. They are the "SR" type. I will continue using this dose until my body adjusts and then I may up the dose to 150 twice a day. For me, starting at 300mg a day was far too much. I believe starting lower, I will be able to remain on this.

November 20, 2014 11:23 AM

Review by Pinklady1:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and have also suffered the loss of my family. I had 5 major surgeries in one year and have attempted suicide several times. I've been on a variety of meds and have watched my weight balloon from 140 to 240lbs because of these medicines. Am I better because of Wellbutrin maybe at first and it is easier to move my life along. Side effects, itching that drives me nuts, no sex drive, I've only been able to drop 40lbs, can't sleep, agitated really easy over stupid stuff, cry at the smallest thing. Yes, I still have days I don't want to get out of bed but after a while I finally do. No suicide thoughts right now which is good.

November 19, 2014 11:18 PM

Review by jttw:

For Depression: I've been on Welbutrin (my first antidepression/anxiey med) 150mg once a day for about 7 weeks. Its good for those who emotionally eat. I've already lost 15 lbs because I don't have that feeling of hopelessness & it gives me no appetite. I have to force myself to eat for nutritional reasons. On the downside my insomnia is out of control & affecting many parts of my life. I also have experienced several itching fits after about a month & needed Benadryl to get some relief. Otherwise I would gave it a 10.

November 18, 2014 8:43 PM

Review by AAnonymous:

For Depression: I was on Prozac and felt tired all the time, still depressed and no sex drive. I thought maybe the dose wasn't enough and I was going through menopause, but the doc put me on Wellbutrin. I'm with the person above, I cannot believe in one day I felt better. I thought it was in my head. I made phone calls I would avoid because of anxiety, I got things done instead of sleep and I felt so much happier next to my husband. Day two I woke up ready to start the day...completely the opposite of what I had been experiencing. Everyone is different and you just have to see what works for you. Prozac is in a different class and I just needed this antidepressant.

November 13, 2014 1:03 PM

Review by ScaredCat:

For Depression: Didnt work. Hit my anxiety to the max in just 4 days.

November 3, 2014 1:38 AM

Review by soyabean (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Didn't work. I was given on top of Remeron. It helps in away. But I needed some energy boost. Hoping Wellbutrin would work. All my anxiety and sucidal thoughts all hit me like a truck. Had to discontinue taking.

November 2, 2014 11:43 AM

Review by Niki9Door (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I have Major Depressive Disoder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I've taken Zoloft, Paxil, Citalopram. I'm currently taking Wellbutrin 300XL, Cipralex 25mg. Cipralex only got me out of suicidal thoughts, but Wellbutrin healed my brain. When my psychiatrist first prescribed it to me, I couldn't afford it so I didn't fill my prescription. When she found out, she gave me some samples. Within a week I got motivation. I had forgotten how it felt to want to do things. My thoughts were more cheerful. I was able to laugh and joke. My PTSD paranoia went down. I began walking, quit smoking, went back to work, traveled, and met the love of my life. It made Me me again! I'm still taking it and will for as long as my brain needs it.

October 27, 2014 8:20 AM

For Depression: I am not a proponent of Big Pharma, and have always had to try to "deal" with my problems on my own. I have a really excellent diet, exercise, don't smoke, eat an organic diet - I'm just saying I really take care of myself. I have had anxiety (with a little bit of depression) all of my life. I was diagnosed with PTSD a few years ago, as I was having severe anxiety about being accepted into nursing school, and if I would be able to handle to stress and constant pressure, and I also have concentration problems. I have been off and on SSRIs, which have been nothing but terrible for me...Paxil, Zoloft, & Prozac, of which made me feel like a zombie. Wellbutrin is GOLD. Not tired, less irritable, not panicky. It has changed my life.

162 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2014 4:19 PM

Review by EEB (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I have major depressive disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, and generalized anxiety disorder. I've taken Prozac, which made me feel "weird", Lexapro, which made me a zombie, and then I finally went to a psychiatrist that prescribed me Wellbutrin. The only bad side effects that I have is increased worry/anxiety. He prescribed me Xanax, which only makes me sleepy, and I still have that worried/dread feeling. I went today and he prescribed me clonazepem and told me to try that because it has a longer effect than Xanax. Overall, Wellbutrin has definitely been the best for me as far as my depression goes...I'd rather be anxious than sad.

October 21, 2014 12:51 PM

Review by KB80:

For Depression: Well I am very pleased to tell you that I started Wellbutrin XL 150mg for depression and anxiety and I can honestly say that it is a miracle drug! I started feeling much better after just one day, I could not believe it. It has been 30 days now and I have not had even one side effect. My depression went away almost right away and the anxiety took a couple weeks. But 30 days later I feel completely myself again. This medication is definitely doing its job 100%.

163 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2014 11:26 PM

Review by Lindylui:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I just started taking this after being almost debilitated by mirtazapine. I don't know if for sure I have energy increase because of the Wellbutrin or because I quit taking mirtazapine. At any rate, I do feel better overall.

October 4, 2014 5:18 PM

Review by Don't have one:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I've been taking 150mg for 2 weeks now. I felt the effects in just a few days. I have a lot of energy, and has increased my thirst. I've lost a few pounds. My only problem is sleep. I've been taking zolpidem for 3 years (5 mgs) and isn't helping much. I've taken a few other antidepressants in the past, and this has been the most effective.

October 4, 2014 9:06 AM

Review by Weiner123:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I feel great and it has been only 3 days. I have battled with Major Depressive Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder starting treatment in 2006. When I came back to States I was in 4 hospitals for months treated by the best on 7-10 different medications at different times. I had ECT etc. For me all the medications did not do a thing for me but get suicidal thoughts and gained 60 pounds. One antidepressant medicine I was on for a few years was Lexapro. I was in Aruba and wanted to die. Through much thought and discussion, I weaned off of all the antidepressants. After 8 years just last week a Doctor said I never have been on Wellbutrin and put me on it. I have for the last few months been really down and out. Immediately I feel better. Took only 8 years. And wasted time in Hospital & ECT.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 11, 2014 2:43 PM

Review by ddeeddee86:

For Depression: I started this 4 weeks ago. I was originally on Paxil but I was tired of its side effects. My doctor switched me to Wellbutrin after also trying Cipralex, Effexor and Zoloft. It works great. I had almost no side effects when I started it (I did with every other medicine). It does increase anxiety for me though. Wellbutrin gives me more energy and makes me feel alive again. Because of the energy, I work out now which helps counter act the anxiety. It did not increase my sex drive BUT it made me normal. (Paxil made it so I wouldn't even let my husband touch me). I have lost the weight that Paxil made me gain and then some! I would recommend it to people for sure but if you have bad anxiety like I do, try being really active as well.

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2014 10:24 PM

Review by Always Depressed:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I have been taking Wellbutrin for 10 months. I had 6 migraines in the first 10 days, but then the headaches stopped. I also had dry mouth for about a week when I started taking the 300 milligram tablet. After that, no side effects at all. Unfortunately, I have had no positive effects either. I feel as though I am taking a sugar pill. I am still dysthimic all the time and have had several depressive episodes lasting weeks since beginning this medication. I agreed to take it for a year, buy I don't see any improvement at all.

August 28, 2014 8:34 AM

Review by Tinwest (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: I took Wellbutrin for about 8 years, it was wonderful, kept me motivated, optimistic, helped me lose a bunch of weight but I think it caused my tinnitus so I'm switching to Prozac.

August 19, 2014 2:49 PM

Review by am49 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: It's effective, and the side effects aren't that bad. Pros: - It works. - Hasn't caused weight gain. Cons: - I've noticed that since I started taking it my body temperature has been higher than normal, even if I'm not sick. - A few times it's made me act hyper. Not sure why, but my psychiatrist said I should be fine. Doesn't happen very often anymore. Notes: - Not to be taken by people with Bipolar disorder. If your doctor prescribes you this, make sure they are aware you're bipolar. Would I recommend? Yes.

August 8, 2014 5:16 PM