User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 4 reviews 3 medications

4.2
Summary of Trazodone reviews 352 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Trazodone

Review by Ophelia9 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I was prescribed Trazodone for anxiety, insomnia, and depression. It worked very well after the first week of the nausea and strange feelings that come with a new medicine. It helped me sleep, I was less depressed and found it easier to find things to look forward to. HOWEVER. If you are prone to side effects in psych meds, be careful. In less than two months my hair thinned to about half of what it was before. I have since quit and am taking supplements to help regrow my hair, and bathing in my own tears.

November 24, 2014 2:43 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: I have had major insomnia for years now and nothing ever got me to sleep. Last year I was admitted into the hospital and they put me on Trazodone and it works wonders on me. I can take it at 9pm and not fall asleep until 11pm but that's because I keep myself busy and it still puts me to sleep. However when I don't take it I don't sleep, so I definitely recommend it.

November 17, 2014 4:23 AM

Review by Soldier67:

For Insomnia: I have had insomnia for a while now and was prescribed Trazodone 50mg about 8 months ago. This stuff knocks me out within 2 hours. Unfortunately, it is doing nothing for my anxiety and depression.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2014 8:56 PM

Review by bobalaneo (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Insomnia: Gave a 9 instead of 10 because of the Traz 'hangover' when you begin (headaches, fog, laziness)--coffee and aspirin should help this. I recommend starting at lowest dose possible and moving up. I take 50mg and it works wonders. Was on Ambien for 7 years but got tired of eating randomly, not remembering things I did and short amount of sleep time. With Trazodone you will have a deep and restful sleep (6-8hrs). Any side effects should go away within a week. Word of caution....you HAVE to lay down, turn out the lights and close your eyes within 30-45 minutes of taking this. Otherwise you risk missing the sleep window and could be up all night. Best sleep aid I've tried.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2014 1:03 PM

Review by JessPhoenix (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: Stopping Trazodone ASAP and here's why. Worked for me for about 4 or 5 months but when I needed a higher dosage of it (100-150 mgs), the REALLY BAD SIDE EFFECTS began. I'm talking the worst hand TREMORS ever, to the point where I have trouble holding a pen and writing. I am writing this on my phone and can barely hold it steady. The mental/cognitive effects are worse, I mean seriously I thought I had a brain tumor or something along those lines!!! Extreme CONFUSION, SEVERE SHORT-TERM MEMORY LOSS, I'm dizzy pretty much all the time and the lack of coordination is so bad that my driving suffered. The effects were never at night after I took it, always the next day. If you feel like you're losing it, you aren't. Just stop taking Trazodone.

October 30, 2014 9:24 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I have epilepsy, so sleep is a really important component of control, but I have issues with insomnia. I already take a lot of pills so I didn't want another, but my neurologist (whose specialty is actually sleep) suggested Trazodone because it doesn't alter sleep architecture and is non addictive (something I wanted to avoid). This is by far the best sleep medicine I have tried, and I have tried Ambien and Lunesta. I guess I've also used my Klonopin, but I'd rather not take anything addictive very frequently. My dose is around 50-100 mg per night - depending on how tired I am.

October 22, 2014 9:18 PM

Review by TommyPF:

Desyrel (trazodone) for Anxiety: I have anxiety disorder but I take it to sleep. It works very well to get a good night's sleep. One 50 mg pill at bedtime.

October 21, 2014 7:01 PM

Review by Palmareal (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Sedation: I take 100 to 150mg at night and an additional 50mg if I wake up during the night. I have Bipolar and ADHD. I stopped all other psychotropic medicines because of side effects and I'm following the "Grain Brain" Book Plan. No sugar/carbs/gluten(reduced by 60- 80%). Doing fantastically with energy, much reduced depression, reduced impulsivity and better decision making and ability to do housework. LOVE IT. I did experience nausea and depression when reducing dosage.

October 19, 2014 3:37 PM

Review by Gareth_Reborn (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have been suffering from generalised anxiety disorder for the last 10 years, on and off many anti depressants. I have been on citalopram/SSRI for about the last 5 years, but it never did the job thoroughly and I felt that is as good as it's ever going to get. I started Trazodone 2 days ago, and I feel like a new person. Anxiety down by an immense amount, confidence levels boosted beyond what I've ever felt. I am combining it with the citalopram, however, as always medication affects every individual differently. Just a matter of trial and error. Only side effects so far are dry mouth, and slightly impaired concentration. But they are MINOR compared to the anxiety I used to have.

October 8, 2014 5:53 AM

Review by Texas Lark:

For Insomnia: My daughter has suffered from insomnia (waking up in the middle of the night and not going back to sleep) for 2 years. Natural remedies didn't work well, nor did Benadryl. She finally tried trazodone at 25 mg. at 11 pm. She slept very soundly, but she felt very sedated (couldn't function) until 3:30 the next day. The next night she tried 12.5 mg., woke up at 8:30 and wasn't completely alert until 11 am. She tried 12.5 mg. again last night, was too tired to wake at 8, got up at 8:30, and was fully alert by 10. Tonight she'll try less than 1/4 pill so that she can wake up at 7:30 and be fully alert by 8:30 or 9. She weighs 110 pounds and most prescription meds make her extremely drowsy.

October 5, 2014 12:05 PM

Review by LyndaRN:

For Insomnia: I've been taking trazadone for about five years and it works great for me. At one point my dose was up to 200mg but I decided to taper it back slowly because I felt that it was too much and I still get the same effect from just 100mg now. My only annoying side effect is that it sometimes really dries out my mucus membranes (mouth and nose). Especially my nose, to the point where it's hard for me to fall asleep because I have to breathe through my mouth.

October 2, 2014 10:10 PM

Review by Dannax (taken for 10 years or more):

For Insomnia: I have been taking 50mg of trazodone at bedtime for 19 years. More than 50mg does not help me sleep any better and I am groggy in the morning. 50mg is perfect for me as it hits fast and no morning time sedation. It is not a controlled drug, does not have any drug abuse potential and is not addicting. My first doctor would not prescribe it to me for fear of priapism. After 19 years--still no priapism!!

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2014 9:00 PM

Review by bl1979ta (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: I had a medical issue, followed by surgery, then severe insomnia. I took Ambien at first, and it works well, but I started sleep walking with no memory, so I sought another treatment. Trazodone was next, but after six nights of wicked dreams and a racing heart, I quit Trazodone. I now take Zaleplon for insomnia and it's the best medicine yet. Zaleplon gives me 5-6 solid hours of sleep with no wild dreams and no sleep walking.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2014 1:25 AM

Review by MagiBoo (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: My doctor prescribed 150mg trazodone at bedtime because I have problems sleeping. I start to feel funny within 15-20 minutes of taking it and that's my sign that it's time to lie down. It keeps me asleep with no weird side effects. No weird dreams. I feel groggy in the morning. but it goes away within a couple hours.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 26, 2014 9:47 PM

Review by OhNoooRLM (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Sedation: I was recently put on Trazodone 100mg and I did, in fact, fall asleep fairly quickly. The worst part of this experience were the weird nightmares I have every night; the fact that when I awake in the mornings, I feel terrible and it looks as though I have Narcolepsy. After about 1 hour from getting up in the morning, I am pretty much in a vegetative state: eyes half closed, hallucinations, can't wake up completely. This goes on throughout each day. My family thinks I am lying when I tell them I am no longer popping pain pills to the point of overdose. That all stopped October 2008. My psychiatrist cut my dose back to 50mg but I am still having the same unwanted symptoms. So far, I have NO short-term memory, unrested, more depressed.

September 21, 2014 6:29 PM

Review by CKib (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: This has helped me endlessly. I started taking it about 5 months ago, The first thing that it helps with is sleep, I'll fall asleep so easily & not wake, One thing I noticed however was the vivid dreaming, not too bad if you aren't freaked out by bad or plain weird dreams. For the first few days/weeks it was harder to get up in the morning but having caffeine really helps. I would always feel low before this medication, sad, hopeless and have no energy. With it I'm more confident, make more effort with other people, not afraid of my own company and anything that happens I can see logically. One of my problems was illogical thinking and this has reduced that by 90%. You'll have to be more careful with alcohol on this medication.

September 20, 2014 7:50 AM

Review by Eric77:

For Insomnia: My wife and I have tried the whole gamut of sleep aids. Trazodone works pretty well. It seems to cause 'funny' dreams, but other than that, it does make you sleep. The only exception we have to most peoples experiences, is we find even 12.5 mg is 'too much', resulting in an over-sedated feeling the the morning. We try to cut the tablet in 8 parts, but it is difficult. So, a 25 mg, or even 10 mg tablet would be great.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 17, 2014 2:59 PM

Review by mamabear558:

For Insomnia: I go through often occasions of insomnia, and I take 50 - 100 mg of Trazodone, usually after a few nights with no sleep because I don't like how groggy it leaves me feeling in the morning, but it really does help me sleep. It kicks in within an hour for me, though sometimes it can still take me a few hours to actually fall asleep, but I always do. I don't think it gives me more nightmares, but I do have very vivid dreams. All in all it does it's job and will keep taking it.

September 17, 2014 11:39 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: I've slowly gone up from 100 to 150 etc to where I am now at 450 mg each night. Between the Dr. that originally put me on it to the newish Dr. they messed up my dosage but I'm back to 450mg now. During the times of the mess up, I would run out of trazodone and stay up for days on end until I finally caved and went to the local Pharmacy and was buying everything that I used to take over the counter. I got zero relief...I highly recommend this medication..from being upped on the dosage for the past many many years it does make you feel groggy to begin but only lasts about a week maximum two.

September 13, 2014 12:22 AM

Review by McFlaca (taken for 10 years or more):

For Insomnia: Have been on 50mg of trazadone for insomnia for years -- I began with 25 mg but went up to 50 about 5 years ago. I have had no difficulty whatever with this medication and hope others can get the relief I do. I get dozy in about a 1/2 hour after taking it and off I go to need-never-land!

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2014 1:13 PM

Review by CindersPaws:

For Major Depressive Disorder: It helps me sleep and not have running thoughts or wake up panicked.

August 23, 2014 10:23 AM

Review by sunman:

For Insomnia: I take 100mg a night. I could not get to sleep or stay asleep. This medicine helps. I started it with 2 other medicines, at first on 3 medicines I had nightmares. Dropped one, then the next then the trazodone. Stayed off it for about 3 weeks with no problems except was having trouble sleeping. Taking it again and within 20 minutes I'm OUT! I think the nightmares were from other meds & getting off alcohol.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 21, 2014 9:45 PM

Review by Hare (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: I have taken various doses of trazodone for Fibromyalgia and insomnia. I can fall asleep but wake up 3 hrs later. I take 50-100mg and fall back to sleep. Finally a more restful sleep. Ahhh!

August 13, 2014 9:17 AM

Review by Suzannesdd:

For Headache: Horrible headache the day after (tried it on three different occasions to make sure it wasn't something else) and could do nothing other than lay in bed in the dark.

August 10, 2014 12:49 PM

Review by Annmarie49 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: I have had sleep issues because of major anxiety and depression for over 10 years. It affected both falling asleep and staying asleep through the night. I tried other medications and then was put on Trazodone by my psych doctor. I take 150 mgs about a half hour to an hour before I go to bed and do not have to eat anything with it. (Someone had posted that they were concerned about that issue. I believe that is suggested for people who are on it daily for depression, not insomnia). Trazodone puts me to sleep minutes after I get into bed, and I sleep soundly until the alarm goes off.

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 7, 2014 6:23 AM