User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 4 reviews 3 medications

4.2
Summary of Trazodone reviews 332 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Trazodone

Review by CindersPaws:

For Major Depressive Disorder: It helps me sleep and not have running thoughts or wake up panicked.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2014 10:23 AM

Review by sunman:

For Insomnia: I take 100mg a night. I could not get to sleep or stay asleep. This medicine helps. I started it with 2 other medicines, at first on 3 medicines I had nightmares. Dropped one, then the next then the trazodone. Stayed off it for about 3 weeks with no problems except was having trouble sleeping. Taking it again and within 20 minutes I'm OUT! I think the nightmares were from other meds & getting off alcohol.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 21, 2014 9:45 PM

Review by Hare (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: I have taken various doses of trazodone for Fibromyalgia and insomnia. I can fall asleep but wake up 3 hrs later. I take 50-100mg and fall back to sleep. Finally a more restful sleep. Ahhh!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2014 9:17 AM

Review by Suzannesdd:

For Headache: Horrible headache the day after (tried it on three different occasions to make sure it wasn't something else) and could do nothing other than lay in bed in the dark.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 10, 2014 12:49 PM

Review by Annmarie49 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: I have had sleep issues because of major anxiety and depression for over 10 years. It affected both falling asleep and staying asleep through the night. I tried other medications and then was put on Trazodone by my psych doctor. I take 150 mgs about a half hour to an hour before I go to bed and do not have to eat anything with it. (Someone had posted that they were concerned about that issue. I believe that is suggested for people who are on it daily for depression, not insomnia). Trazodone puts me to sleep minutes after I get into bed, and I sleep soundly until the alarm goes off.

August 7, 2014 6:23 AM

Review by lizzytish (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I take trazodone, 150mg to 200mg for insomnia. To avoid morning grogginess, I take it at 7 or 8pm. This gives it more than enough time to get out of my system. Rarely have nightmares, but do have vivid interesting dreams about friends and family! I recommend this medicine for insomnia.

August 2, 2014 7:50 AM

Review by weavers (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I take 200mg of trazodone and 3mg eszopiclone (Lunesta) every night and have for the past 2 years. My trouble is not falling asleep but rather being able to stay asleep. If I didn't use medication I would only sleep 3-4 hours a night. I believe the trazodone does make me groggy but the sleep is most important. Those who say it causes nightmares or crazy dreams, this is true, but those cease after a week or two on the medication.

July 29, 2014 10:57 AM

Review by Y.I (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Makes me sweat at night tons but get a full 8 hours sleep now. Dry mouth. That's it.

July 18, 2014 8:26 AM

Review by Oh My:

For Sedation: I have relied on this medication for a very long time. With the latest refill I noticed the tablet had changed. Previously, it was an elongated oval tablet that easily snapped into sections. Now the shape has changed and it is very hard. One must use a pill cutter to divide it. My pill cutter will not permit me to cut it into 50mg. Most importantly it no longer works for me.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2014 4:28 PM

Review by DementiaFighter1957:

For Sedation: I have found all of these comments to be fairly optimist. I have been experiencing headaches at a lower dose (50mg) but it took a slow progression to 200mg to solve my sleeping problem. Was also experiencing depression inspite of taking Celexa (40mg), Wellbutrin (300mg) and Risperdal (0.5mg). Now Trazodone (200mg) is added to that mix. The headaches are now gone and I'm sleeping well and the depression is better; I have, however, been experiencing side effects, like restless leg syndrome, inability to get up before noon (I go to bed at 11:30pm), and painful knees (more than usual). I am having memory issues, which is why I've been prescribed Trazodone in place of Temazepam, which is not good for my brain. Well that's my story - hope it helps.

July 4, 2014 6:53 PM

Review by Scorpiogirl1972:

For Insomnia: I took this medication only 2 nights. It made me have horrible nightmares, almost night terrors. And even after I calmed down from the nightmares that woke me, I was very panicked and freaked out and couldn't go back to sleep. This medicine is certainly NOT for me!

July 3, 2014 10:48 PM

Review by marysunshine (taken for 10 years or more):

For Insomnia: I am 75 years old and have been taking trazodone for sleep for about ten years. I take 150 mg. It is a miracle for insomnia. I sleep 8 hours a night straight though. Yes, you do feel groggy in the morning when you first start taking it, but it goes away with time, so don't give up too soon when you start it because of grogginess. I have never heard of taking it with food as one person said. It is non addictive and I feel so rested that I do not feel the need for naps that I always used to take before trazodone.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 1, 2014 12:11 AM

Review by johndcravens (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: It helps a lot for getting to sleep, not so much for staying asleep past 6 hours.

June 27, 2014 10:18 AM

Review by deblojo13 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Sedation: Makes me sleep

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2014 3:05 PM

Review by kjhand:

For Depression: Originally I started taking trazodone for insomnia, but was fearful of taking too much so I minimized my dose and that was a mistake. I believe its important to take the amount that starts working consistently for you as you titrate up to a dose that starts working. And you need to give it time to build up in your system. I'm up to 250 mg when I go to bed, I will take another 50 mg and that tends to give me a couple hours more sleep if I wake up too early. What's really amazing about this medicine is that I no longer struggle with depression or anxiety. It keeps my brain in chemical balance and I think clearly with no side effects, except I'm a little tired in the morning. So I drink a big cup of coffee and that helps.

June 20, 2014 7:04 PM

Review by legakris (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Desyrel (trazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: I am currently on the trazodone, and while it is not as effective as the Seroquel in terms of a sleep aid, it works well when augmented with Zoloft for depression.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2014 7:46 PM

Review by Jenbeezy:

For Insomnia: My psych suggested using trazodone (50mg) for my insomnia issues along with my antidepressant Prozac (20 then 40mg) the first night I took it I couldn't get to sleep for a few hours but once I was sleep I was knocked out. When I woke up I was groggy all day. So I didn't take it the next night. Then the night after that I tried it again and I slept like a baby that night and the next two nights after that. My only issue with it is my dreams are very vivid and are on the nightmare side. But I like the meds. If my dreams continue to be bad I may try something else

May 28, 2014 7:56 PM

Review by IBS (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I couldn't sleep at all and that's taking 2 pills

May 19, 2014 10:15 PM

Review by mawms (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: My 11 yr old daughter has been taking 50mg trazodone for nearly a year now. She has Aspergers and her anxiety used to be through the roof. Her insomnia was so bad, she literally could stay up for days at a time. I was reluctant at first, but its been a God-send. Her grades at school has improved and her social anxieties have lessened. The first week of taking them, she was slow to wake up and we had to allow for extra wake up time on school days. Her body adjusted and now there is no morning grogginess.

May 18, 2014 10:33 PM

Review by Lalau (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Desyrel (trazodone) for Fibromyalgia: It has greatly helped with my ability to sleep.

May 14, 2014 6:57 PM

Review by TootzBrewer (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: My psych prescribed trazadone 50 mg when I first started seeing her. I took it one time and still didn't sleep so I tossed it. A few nights ago I was so frustrated because I hadn't slept for days so I tore the medicine cabinet apart looking for anything that would make me sleep. I found the trazadone. I took one and bam I was out like a light for 8 hours. Guess I will give it another shot now!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 8, 2014 10:06 AM

Review by quackers 2 (taken for less than 1 month):

Desyrel (trazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: This medication doesn't help depression.It also kept me up at night. I couldn't sleep all night. I went to the doctor to get a new anti-depressant.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2014 6:43 PM

Review by Gutter Ball James:

For Insomnia: Have been taking trazodone for about 12 yrs. now because I tend to wake up worrying in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. It's not a knock-out medicine, so will not put you immediately to sleep, but I sleep through the night (at 200 mgs.) without any problems. This medicine has changed my life and I would not want to be without it. The dosage has been titrated up and down several times, depending on anxiety, depression, etc.

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2014 4:32 PM

Review by linnie94 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: Ever since I started using this, (thanks so much, doc!) I have been in Heaven. I have had problems sleeping for months, maybe even a year but not as extreme then. I start to feel tired and my eyes start to want to shut just 20-25 mins after I take this! The "window of opportunity" where it is most obvious it's working (when I feel sleepiest) is (obviously) the time I go to bed. The one time I missed that window was out of experimentation, as I wanted to know if it would knock me out as I was sitting on my couch. Didn't work! When I went to bed that night it was very hard to do so. So now, I ALWAYS head straight to bed when I feel sleepiest.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2014 10:50 PM

Review by BME (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: I was in a deep dark hole into which no light or joy came no matter what nice and kind things my family did to help. I had uuncontrollable crying bouts that might occur at any time. A friend told me Desyrel had helped her so I asked my doctor for a scrip. From the first dose I knew I was on to something. Slept well, woke rested did not interfer with intimacy with husband. Was mentally alert but took couple cups of coffee to get going. Did have moderate headache that went away in couple hours. Suddenly I was interested in life again, was able to resume handling our finances, organizing house, outings with friends. Was great. But after some time came.....weight gain, edema, and stomach on fire...slept in recliner lots. Not for long use.

April 11, 2014 5:16 PM