User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 4 reviews 3 medications

4.2
Summary of Trazodone reviews 344 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Trazodone

Review by TommyPF:

Desyrel (trazodone) for Anxiety: I have anxiety disorder but I take it to sleep. It works very well to get a good night's sleep. One 50 mg pill at bedtime.

October 21, 2014 7:01 PM

Review by Texas Lark:

For Insomnia: My daughter has suffered from insomnia (waking up in the middle of the night and not going back to sleep) for 2 years. Natural remedies didn't work well, nor did Benadryl. She finally tried trazodone at 25 mg. at 11 pm. She slept very soundly, but she felt very sedated (couldn't function) until 3:30 the next day. The next night she tried 12.5 mg., woke up at 8:30 and wasn't completely alert until 11 am. She tried 12.5 mg. again last night, was too tired to wake at 8, got up at 8:30, and was fully alert by 10. Tonight she'll try less than 1/4 pill so that she can wake up at 7:30 and be fully alert by 8:30 or 9. She weighs 110 pounds and most prescription meds make her extremely drowsy.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2014 12:05 PM

Review by LyndaRN:

For Insomnia: I've been taking trazadone for about five years and it works great for me. At one point my dose was up to 200mg but I decided to taper it back slowly because I felt that it was too much and I still get the same effect from just 100mg now. My only annoying side effect is that it sometimes really dries out my mucus membranes (mouth and nose). Especially my nose, to the point where it's hard for me to fall asleep because I have to breathe through my mouth.

October 2, 2014 10:10 PM

Review by Dannax (taken for 10 years or more):

For Insomnia: I have been taking 50mg of trazodone at bedtime for 19 years. More than 50mg does not help me sleep any better and I am groggy in the morning. 50mg is perfect for me as it hits fast and no morning time sedation. It is not a controlled drug, does not have any drug abuse potential and is not addicting. My first doctor would not prescribe it to me for fear of priapism. After 19 years--still no priapism!!

October 1, 2014 9:00 PM

Review by bl1979ta (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: I had a medical issue, followed by surgery, then severe insomnia. I took Ambien at first, and it works well, but I started sleep walking with no memory, so I sought another treatment. Trazodone was next, but after six nights of wicked dreams and a racing heart, I quit Trazodone. I now take Zaleplon for insomnia and it's the best medicine yet. Zaleplon gives me 5-6 solid hours of sleep with no wild dreams and no sleep walking.

September 29, 2014 1:25 AM

Review by MagiBoo (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: My doctor prescribed 150mg trazodone at bedtime because I have problems sleeping. I start to feel funny within 15-20 minutes of taking it and that's my sign that it's time to lie down. It keeps me asleep with no weird side effects. No weird dreams. I feel groggy in the morning. but it goes away within a couple hours.

September 26, 2014 9:47 PM

Review by OhNoooRLM (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Sedation: I was recently put on Trazodone 100mg and I did, in fact, fall asleep fairly quickly. The worst part of this experience were the weird nightmares I have every night; the fact that when I awake in the mornings, I feel terrible and it looks as though I have Narcolepsy. After about 1 hour from getting up in the morning, I am pretty much in a vegetative state: eyes half closed, hallucinations, can't wake up completely. This goes on throughout each day. My family thinks I am lying when I tell them I am no longer popping pain pills to the point of overdose. That all stopped October 2008. My psychiatrist cut my dose back to 50mg but I am still having the same unwanted symptoms. So far, I have NO short-term memory, unrested, more depressed.

September 21, 2014 6:29 PM

Review by CKib (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: This has helped me endlessly. I started taking it about 5 months ago, The first thing that it helps with is sleep, I'll fall asleep so easily & not wake, One thing I noticed however was the vivid dreaming, not too bad if you aren't freaked out by bad or plain weird dreams. For the first few days/weeks it was harder to get up in the morning but having caffeine really helps. I would always feel low before this medication, sad, hopeless and have no energy. With it I'm more confident, make more effort with other people, not afraid of my own company and anything that happens I can see logically. One of my problems was illogical thinking and this has reduced that by 90%. You'll have to be more careful with alcohol on this medication.

September 20, 2014 7:50 AM

Review by Eric77:

For Insomnia: My wife and I have tried the whole gamut of sleep aids. Trazodone works pretty well. It seems to cause 'funny' dreams, but other than that, it does make you sleep. The only exception we have to most peoples experiences, is we find even 12.5 mg is 'too much', resulting in an over-sedated feeling the the morning. We try to cut the tablet in 8 parts, but it is difficult. So, a 25 mg, or even 10 mg tablet would be great.

September 17, 2014 2:59 PM

Review by mamabear558:

For Insomnia: I go through often occasions of insomnia, and I take 50 - 100 mg of Trazodone, usually after a few nights with no sleep because I don't like how groggy it leaves me feeling in the morning, but it really does help me sleep. It kicks in within an hour for me, though sometimes it can still take me a few hours to actually fall asleep, but I always do. I don't think it gives me more nightmares, but I do have very vivid dreams. All in all it does it's job and will keep taking it.

September 17, 2014 11:39 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: I've slowly gone up from 100 to 150 etc to where I am now at 450 mg each night. Between the Dr. that originally put me on it to the newish Dr. they messed up my dosage but I'm back to 450mg now. During the times of the mess up, I would run out of trazodone and stay up for days on end until I finally caved and went to the local Pharmacy and was buying everything that I used to take over the counter. I got zero relief...I highly recommend this medication..from being upped on the dosage for the past many many years it does make you feel groggy to begin but only lasts about a week maximum two.

September 13, 2014 12:22 AM

Review by McFlaca (taken for 10 years or more):

For Insomnia: Have been on 50mg of trazadone for insomnia for years -- I began with 25 mg but went up to 50 about 5 years ago. I have had no difficulty whatever with this medication and hope others can get the relief I do. I get dozy in about a 1/2 hour after taking it and off I go to need-never-land!

September 10, 2014 1:13 PM

Review by CindersPaws:

For Major Depressive Disorder: It helps me sleep and not have running thoughts or wake up panicked.

August 23, 2014 10:23 AM

Review by sunman:

For Insomnia: I take 100mg a night. I could not get to sleep or stay asleep. This medicine helps. I started it with 2 other medicines, at first on 3 medicines I had nightmares. Dropped one, then the next then the trazodone. Stayed off it for about 3 weeks with no problems except was having trouble sleeping. Taking it again and within 20 minutes I'm OUT! I think the nightmares were from other meds & getting off alcohol.

August 21, 2014 9:45 PM

Review by Hare (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: I have taken various doses of trazodone for Fibromyalgia and insomnia. I can fall asleep but wake up 3 hrs later. I take 50-100mg and fall back to sleep. Finally a more restful sleep. Ahhh!

August 13, 2014 9:17 AM

Review by Suzannesdd:

For Headache: Horrible headache the day after (tried it on three different occasions to make sure it wasn't something else) and could do nothing other than lay in bed in the dark.

August 10, 2014 12:49 PM

Review by Annmarie49 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: I have had sleep issues because of major anxiety and depression for over 10 years. It affected both falling asleep and staying asleep through the night. I tried other medications and then was put on Trazodone by my psych doctor. I take 150 mgs about a half hour to an hour before I go to bed and do not have to eat anything with it. (Someone had posted that they were concerned about that issue. I believe that is suggested for people who are on it daily for depression, not insomnia). Trazodone puts me to sleep minutes after I get into bed, and I sleep soundly until the alarm goes off.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 7, 2014 6:23 AM

Review by lizzytish (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I take trazodone, 150mg to 200mg for insomnia. To avoid morning grogginess, I take it at 7 or 8pm. This gives it more than enough time to get out of my system. Rarely have nightmares, but do have vivid interesting dreams about friends and family! I recommend this medicine for insomnia.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2014 7:50 AM

Review by weavers (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I take 200mg of trazodone and 3mg eszopiclone (Lunesta) every night and have for the past 2 years. My trouble is not falling asleep but rather being able to stay asleep. If I didn't use medication I would only sleep 3-4 hours a night. I believe the trazodone does make me groggy but the sleep is most important. Those who say it causes nightmares or crazy dreams, this is true, but those cease after a week or two on the medication.

July 29, 2014 10:57 AM

Review by Y.I (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Makes me sweat at night tons but get a full 8 hours sleep now. Dry mouth. That's it.

July 18, 2014 8:26 AM

Review by Oh My:

For Sedation: I have relied on this medication for a very long time. With the latest refill I noticed the tablet had changed. Previously, it was an elongated oval tablet that easily snapped into sections. Now the shape has changed and it is very hard. One must use a pill cutter to divide it. My pill cutter will not permit me to cut it into 50mg. Most importantly it no longer works for me.

July 9, 2014 4:28 PM

Review by DementiaFighter1957:

For Sedation: I have found all of these comments to be fairly optimist. I have been experiencing headaches at a lower dose (50mg) but it took a slow progression to 200mg to solve my sleeping problem. Was also experiencing depression inspite of taking Celexa (40mg), Wellbutrin (300mg) and Risperdal (0.5mg). Now Trazodone (200mg) is added to that mix. The headaches are now gone and I'm sleeping well and the depression is better; I have, however, been experiencing side effects, like restless leg syndrome, inability to get up before noon (I go to bed at 11:30pm), and painful knees (more than usual). I am having memory issues, which is why I've been prescribed Trazodone in place of Temazepam, which is not good for my brain. Well that's my story - hope it helps.

July 4, 2014 6:53 PM

Review by Scorpiogirl1972:

For Insomnia: I took this medication only 2 nights. It made me have horrible nightmares, almost night terrors. And even after I calmed down from the nightmares that woke me, I was very panicked and freaked out and couldn't go back to sleep. This medicine is certainly NOT for me!

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2014 10:48 PM

Review by marysunshine (taken for 10 years or more):

For Insomnia: I am 75 years old and have been taking trazodone for sleep for about ten years. I take 150 mg. It is a miracle for insomnia. I sleep 8 hours a night straight though. Yes, you do feel groggy in the morning when you first start taking it, but it goes away with time, so don't give up too soon when you start it because of grogginess. I have never heard of taking it with food as one person said. It is non addictive and I feel so rested that I do not feel the need for naps that I always used to take before trazodone.

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 1, 2014 12:11 AM

Review by johndcravens (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: It helps a lot for getting to sleep, not so much for staying asleep past 6 hours.

June 27, 2014 10:18 AM