User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 5 reviews 2 medications

Headache 2 reviews 237 medications

5.5
Summary of Trazodone reviews 424 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Trazodone

For Insomnia: "After suffering from insomnia since I was a child, I have tried many medication, home remedies and nothing really helped. When I was in nursing school it only became worse. I went to see my DR. he recommended Seroquel. I was on Seroquel for about a year and I hated it, horrible nightmares, groggy feeling, not sleeping, irritable, and it worsen my bipolar symptoms. When I told him I was not taking Seroquel anymore he gave Trazodone. I worked right away I sleep as a "normal" person does(8 hours). This medication has really changed my life with sleeping more and mood swings under control. I been taking it for a few years now."

NurseV (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2015

For Sedation: "This really helps me sleep, and knowing there is little to no withdrawal, I have been able to stop easily when back into work and social life again and was truly tired, and mind unstressed. I recently went back on it at 100 mg which was effective in the past. Ambien erased my memory and that impacted my job, but this doesn't. In low dosage I was told it has no antidepressant characteristics (low is up to 100 / 150) so people shouldn't fear about reverse effects if non depressed. Very good & safe drug. Yes, as reviews say, dreams can be incredibly vivid - but I've never had bad nightmares - more like bizzare and interesting dreams that felt real. Maybe nightmares are caused from stress/bad childhood/and just everyday worries."

LCGA (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2015

For Sedation: "I started taking this medication due to an inability to go to sleep. For some reason it knocks me out no matter what doseage I take. 8mg is the same effect as 50mg. I sleep at least 8-9 hours straight and feel hungover the next day. It definitely makes me sleep but I have strange dreams and wake up feeling terrible the next day."

Mlefev June 22, 2015

For Insomnia: "Causes nightmares, HORRIBLE nightmares and I still can't get more than an hour or two of sleep and sometimes go all night without sleeping for two or three days sometimes, same as before I started taking this so-called sleep-aid."

professionalzombie June 21, 2015

For Insomnia: "It's been a miracle"

jrh420 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 16, 2015

For Insomnia: "The doctor prescribed it for me to replace Zolpidem, which was working just fine, but my mother, who was also my caregiver, suspected that I was abusing it. My doctor warned me about getting pregnant while taking this drug, so she asked me if I was sexually active or breastfeeding. To me, the drug was an overly powerful sedative. I woke up so groggy in the morning after a night of nightmares. My doctor and my mother forced me to take them, anyway. They made my mouth dry. They could be dangerous. It was like I was sleepwalking through life, and I was constantly fighting the drug. The nightmares became stronger and stronger. I finally had to stop taking them, and the nightmares linger to this day."

WishingStar June 14, 2015

For Insomnia: "I have been having trouble sleeping for months after coming off of an atypical antipsychotic I have been on for several years. I sleep the normal amount most of the time, but I have not been getting any rest and have been irritable and staying up later than usual. I took trazodone last night and had the first dream I've had in months. I feel human again, and even taken as needed as I'm prescribed I believe will help me a ton. I am so happy to have actually slept well. I struggled with the horrible withdrawals of coming off of the medicine; so the trouble sleeping I did not recognize right away, I had depended so long on the antipsychotics to put me to sleep. Seems to be very mild as well, which is what I asked my psychiatrist for."

Kayce Jo (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2015

For Insomnia: "Last night was the first time I tried trazadone 25mg. Fell asleep pretty quickly but had unpleasant dreams. Woke after about 7 or 8 hrs. with a horrible hangover feeling. After taking 2 Excedrin I felt almost normal. Will try again to see if I can overcome side effects."

azkat (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2015

For Insomnia: "Before my doctor suggested trying trazadone 50mg a night I was awake every hour on the hour every night. Now I take it right before bed and I sleep the whole night without a problem. I've been on it for about 3 years and don't have any complaints. It was a miracle for me"

Alexs1991 May 24, 2015

For Insomnia: "I had horrible insomnia until I started trazadone. I sleep like a baby. It has been a life saver. I can now wake up and function well at work."

happygal46 May 22, 2015

For Insomnia: "I am happy to finally find a sleep aid along with mood stabilizer all in one. I take 1mg Xanax 2x a day for anxiety. I was on ambien 10mg for sleep and it didnt work it took 20mg just to put me to sleep. My psychiatric put me on Trazadone 200-300mg at night and it works wonders. I wake up refreshed and in a better mood all in all. Im not depressed and my mood has improved drastically due to it."

Queen Cee (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2015

For Insomnia: "This one hasn't made me go to sleep at all. I am awake till 4 or 5 am then I fall to sleep."

Ed54 May 21, 2015

For Insomnia: "Trazodone was great for about 2 weeks. Slept like a "normal" person, when using 50mg at bedtime. After 2 weeks, it seemed I was getting less and less sleep, and I switched to Seroquel. Because Seroquel leaves me tired the next day, I occasionally try Trazadone from time to time. If it does help, it's often only for 3-4 hours at a time. This is at 50mg. I haven't tried 100 for awhile. Other than not working 100% much of the time, it causes me to have an incredibly bad dry-mouth. I would suggest to anyone taking this medication to bring a bottle of water with them to bed."

JustWant2Sleep (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2015

For Sedation: "I have been taking Trazodone now for over 8 years. I originally started at 50 mgs. then went up to 100 and 150. I now take 200 only because I feel I need the added boost after all these years. It works wonderfully, I sleep restfully and feel refreshed in the morning. I sometimes wake in the middle of the night but the medication puts me back to sleep right away. Nightmares is something that you sometimes experience with Trazodone. I take this medication because I once went for an entire month without sleep and I couldn't cope well. The doctor in emergency who recommended this drug saved my life. I slept like a baby the first time I took the medication and never looked back since. I'll probably be on it forever."

Sometimes Sleepless May 12, 2015

For Insomnia: "I can honestly say this medication has saved my life. For years I had been taking diphenhydramine (benadryl) and had no sleep-wake cycle and never felt completely awake. About 8 months ago I tried out Ambien and Lunesta but my doctor wouldn't let me take them for any longer than a couple weeks. Then Trazodone was recommended, and while the first night was absolutely terrible (nausea, insomnia, overslept), and I am never going back. I can take it long term, it's cheap, it makes me feel genuinely tired and not drugged tired, and I finally have a sleep-wake cycle again. It is also very calming, which helps sleep come a lot faster. I can now get up in the morning and not hate my life. Bless this drug. I don't know where I'd be without it."

orangetoday2313 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2015

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Zero help with anxiety but seemed to help with hallucinations which at least was something"

ihatesupercenters (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 8, 2015

For Sedation: "This is first time a have had a generic for this med, usually I get Pliva. Not pleased with generic, prefer Pliva"

brewtongranny May 2, 2015

For Insomnia: "This medicine didn't work. It caused heart palpitations!"

gaga john April 30, 2015

For Insomnia: "I have been taking 50 mg of Trazodone for several years for insomnia. I originally took Ambien, which I liked very much, but the insurance I had then stopped paying for it, so I changed. I travel quite a bit and don't sleep in my own bed frequently, which is the reason I needed a sleep aid. Trazodone has been just excellent. I pop one pill at bedtime and get a good 7-8 hours sleep with no side effects at all. I'm not depressed and didn't take it for depression, only for sleep. It must be a generic or at least a very cheap drug, because it has never cost me much. I have no side effects, although since I'm 72 years old, I do get up slowly, bend over slowly, etc. or I will get dizzy. However, this is not Trazodone's fault, it's me!"

Bignanamary (taken for 10 years or more) April 29, 2015

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I am a long haul trucker. I am not allowed to take most sleep aids. Looked into trazodone, found that its legal for me. I find that it works wonders! I sleep around 7 hrs wake up refreshed and ready for the day. I've suffered with insomnia for years so I have to say trazodone is a life saver."

truckerbob April 24, 2015

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed this a year ago after experiencing sudden insomnia. The insomnia never went away and aggravated my Bipolar II and literally put me into psychosis due to lack of sleep. At first I was given Lorazepam but decided I didn't want to stay on it forever due to dependency issues. After beginning Trazodone, I noticed an AMAZING transformation immediately. I slept like a baby. I had to up my dose from 50mg (starting dosage) to 100mg, to 150mg, to 200mg. Anything after 150mg was way too sedating for me and the hangover was pretty awful. I am back to 100mg, where I have been for just about a year now and I couldn't be happier. This medication changed my life."

C_Frailty (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 23, 2015

For Insomnia: "So last night I tried taking it. Kinda hesitant on taking it but I tried 50 mg and let me tell you, the past two weeks I've never feel asleep so fast and stayed asleep all night. I've tried everything from OTC sleep aids to natural remedies, and nothing worked as well as this. No side effects either! Gave me a good nights rest and finally after two weeks I feel like myself again.. We shall see how it works for my anxeity though."

Timmylee (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2015

For Insomnia: "I have taken Trazodone since I was 16 (I'm 25 now). I started out at 50 mg but found that 100 mg was the best for me. I honestly don't know what I would do without it. I fall asleep anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour after taking it (depending on how awake or tired I am). The only downside for me is that I literally cannot sleep a wink without taking it. I know part of it is physiological, but I have also developed a dependence over the years. I'd like to be able to sleep on my own eventually but it just works too well!"

KayRenee (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 22, 2015

For Anxiety: "I take it for sleep 100/200 mg at nite this is the only way I can go to sleep I get 4 hrs of great sleep than I start waking up but the sleep is good if I wake up to early I take 50mg more"

#1 babygirl April 19, 2015

For Insomnia: "I have been taking it few years now, i take it every night or I can't shut my brain down. I love it i sleep all night and I don't have any problems feeling droggy in the morning I swear by it. I have tried over the counter and natural and nothing worked until trazodone."

Debde April 19, 2015