User Reviews for Pantoprazole

Also known as: Protonix, Protonix IV

Learn more about Pantoprazole.

Pantoprazole Review Summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Barrett's Esophagus.

Reviews for Pantoprazole to treat Barrett's Esophagus

"Took this drug for 5 months for acid reflux at nighttime unknowingly acid splashed up in my throat giving me a continuous sore throat during the day. The side effects it caused was a major concern; i.e., reduces stomach acid up to 80% resulting in poor digestion and absorption especially B12 and Calcium. I found that my stool was long and very fat, (uncommon for me and indicative of poor digestion/absorption). Another side effect was a very bad dry mouth AND, extremely dry hands --constantly wrinkled up --like when one sits in the bath tub for a couple hours. I stopped taking it and now take a couple of Tums before bedtime."

E. Ekimi (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2015

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus six years ago, and regularly used Prilosec for the past 8 years, but I occasionally still had severe heartburn. Like the last post, I too was prescribed a higher and higher dose until I was taking 4-6 pills a day, still getting occasional heartburn. Last year I started taking only 40 mg per day of Pantoprazole, and I seldom (less than once a month when I get careless with food and/or alcohol) have had heartburn at all. I highly recommend asking your doctor about this medication, if you suffer from long term frequent heartburn and Prilosec no longer sees to work as well."

Severe Heartburn/BE (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 22, 2014

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I have been using this medication almost since it came on the market. I take a dose of 50% over the maximum recommended dosage. The medication seems to have a 7-10 hours effectiveness before rebound symptoms appear. I've tried several of the other proton pump inhibitors, which were not very effective. "

GERD and barretts E (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 20, 2013

Protonix IV (pantoprazole): "Have been on Protonix for about 10 yrs. Recently was admitted to the hospital due to pancreatitis. I was vomiting non-stop for 4 days and could only get meds via I.V. during my 7 day stay. I found that Protonix I.V. seemed to work almost better at least worked faster and lasted 24hrs until my next dose the following day."

Miz1...1 March 4, 2012

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I was on Prilosec for about 9 years for acid reflux. For me it was a miracle drug that gave me relief for acid reflux. My dosage was continually increased till I was taking 4 20mg pills a day (probably a problem with my acid reflux increasing). After having more problems, I had an endoscopy which showed I had Barrett's Esophagus. I was prescribed Protonix (2 x 40mg pills/day). So far Protonix has worked great. For me it works better than the Prilosec did."

jburk July 19, 2010

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Barrett's Esophagus