User Reviews for Protonix

Learn more about Protonix.

Barrett's Esophagus 2 reviews 13 medications

Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome 0 reviews 55 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Protonix reviews 39 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Protonix

Review by CzechChick (taken for less than 1 month):

For GERD: After two days on Protonix (for GERD associated with adult-onset asthma) I ended up in the emergency room with extremely high blood pressure, fast, pounding pulse, severe headache, and severe anxiety.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 22, 2014 5:30 PM

Review by risingmoon (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Duodenal Ulcer: Caused severe muscle cramps, headaches. Took away the pain from duodenal ulcers within 3 days.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2014 11:28 PM

Review by Suzette1984:

For Stomach Ulcer: Had the most excruciating, painful ulcers that would wake me up in the middle of the night, and be so bad that I would double over from the pain. The Dr. gave me Protonix, and I swear after just taking the first pill that first night, the symptoms were gone! The pills were so effective, I only took them for 5 nights in a row, (even though he told me to finish the bottle) and just saved the other pills in case I might need them in the future. So far the pain has only come back once, from eating too much Tabasco sauce one night, but other than that, I've not been woken up with the pain since I've taken the pills. These pills were a God send for me. Extremely effective.

February 8, 2014 4:16 PM

Review by JenksAten (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Stomach Ulcer: Spent two and a half years vomiting everything but coca cola, ramen, and mashed potatoes. Had tried numerous ulcer medicines all failing miserably. Protonix made life bearable again! It actually ceased the pain!

September 4, 2013 3:44 PM

Review by GERD and barretts E (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Barrett's Esophagus: I have been using this medication almost since it came on the market. I take a dose of 50% over the maximum recommended dosage. The medication seems to have a 7-10 hours effectiveness before rebound symptoms appear. I've tried several of the other proton pump inhibitors, which were not very effective.

June 20, 2013 5:18 PM

Review by dalepmr (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Stomach Ulcer: Works so well I forget I have a problem until I forget to take it, then I'm reminded the next day...ugh!

May 25, 2013 2:51 AM

Review by Neem (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Peptic Ulcer: Hospitalized January 2012 due to bleeding peptic ulcer which I didn't know I had. GI doc said ulcer was due not to H. pylori but entirely to NSAIDs, the nightly 325 mg aspirin (combination therapy with Plavix for RCA stent, Dec. 2010), to which I added generous doses of Advil (600-800 mg) most days trying to combat muscle pain from simvastatin (current combination of Livalo 2 mg 400 mg CoQ10 = no pain). I am supposed to continue Protonix as long as I am taking aspirin (now only 81 mg). No visible side effects after a year and a half. I do take magnesium 2-3 times a week due to concern about Protonix knocking mg level down. Also take Caltrate, for the osteoporosis it may cause. Protonix is easy to take, but hard to get off of, I hear.

May 25, 2013 1:31 AM

Review by SMSur:

For Stomach Ulcer: I had 23 bleeding peptic, duodenal, and esophageal ulcers and GERD. This is helping.

May 11, 2013 8:02 PM

Review by rv Rob:

For GERD: I have taken for about 7 years now. I never had stomach problems but got what they thought was an ulcer, later endoscopy showed no ulcer, but signs of Barrett's esophagus. I also had hoarse voice, especially in the morning. Ph study pointed to GERD. Long story short, no more hoarseness. Subsequent scopes show no signs of esophagus damage. Now for the bad. Very rarely, when I eat fast, I do get choking sensations that I did not ever have before. Also, if I run out of the medicine and/or miss a dose or two, wicked bad heartburn. Never had heartburn before. As long as I stay on it I am good.

April 16, 2013 12:56 AM

Review by bambam2494:

For Erosive Esophagitis: The only thing to work for me so far.

April 7, 2013 7:09 AM

Review by Jim0523 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For GERD: Started taking this about 8 years ago after developing an ulcer from taking Aleve. Was fine for a few years, with only flatulance and loose bowel movements. For the last 3 years, I started developing asthma symptoms (phlegm in throat and lungs, coughing). Stopping Protonix cleared it up. Took 1 pill again and the asthma started again. Too bad, I really liked this medication.

March 27, 2013 4:33 PM

Review by pam buck (taken for less than 1 month):

For Duodenal Ulcer: I was recently hospitalized for 4 days with a duodenal ulcer. They ran PROTONIX through an IV--I was in miserable pain..Within 2 days, No Problems, and I could eat again. I'm now on 40mg 2x day, and soon decreasing to 1. It REALLY works, with No side effects!

June 25, 2012 12:27 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For GERD: This was not effective in reducing acid. Four days after stopping Nexium and starting Protonix the heartburn started and I had to take Gaviscon. I had a 3 month supply so I kept taking it and ended up with a swollen, painful esophagus and difficulty swallowing with vomiting. I stopped taking Nexium because my insurance no longer would cover it.

June 21, 2012 1:06 AM

Review by whytegold:

For GERD: Worked at first to bring heartburn/acid re-flux under control, however I had to stop taking it because it started causing severe stomach & abdominal pain. Now control through diet & Tums EX. The pain from the Protonix side effect was terrible when it started happening.

March 31, 2012 2:10 PM

Review by Bad gut:

For GERD: I only discovered I had GERD from an endoscopy. I've always had a horrible stomach, but recently had a constant sore throat. The Protonix worked wonders! But then I noticed I was constipated and had a huge appetite. I briefly switched medicines but went back to Protonix. It was when I started taking it again and had two abdominal exams that I realized my liver was enlarged. The doctors immediately dismissed it since I've had my gallbladder removed. They said it was scar tissue. My daughter has eosinophilic colitis so I'm really just focused on her gastrointestinal care, but at my next follow up I will address the issue. I did cut out milk/dairy from my diet and that seemed to help as much as the medicine!

December 1, 2011 11:42 PM

For Stomach Ulcer: Took the burn away in my stomach but made my hands and fingers swell.

October 17, 2011 4:34 PM

Review by looking for new drugs:

For GERD: If you don't get ahead of an attack, this pill won't work. I have been on it for years now and have had little problem with it until it didn't work one weekend so I doubled up on it and ended up in the hospital a week later with seizure due to hypomagnesia (or however you say lack of magnesium). Make sure you are getting all your electrolytes when taking proton pump inhibitors.

September 17, 2011 3:52 PM

Review by speck10:

I have been taking Protonix for over 5 years. It is the only choice for me since I have tried many alternatives with horrible results (Dexilant, Aciphex). Protonix is the BEST.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 19, 2011 11:54 AM

For Stomach Ulcer: After a couple of days using Protonix, I felt relief in my stomach of the full feeling I would get whenever I ate. I used to feel very bloated and uncomfortable after I ate a meal, I wasn't overeating either. I had to watch what I ate too, such as spices, onions, etc. Most of those symptoms have gone away.

May 18, 2011 9:35 PM

For Peptic Ulcer: Esophageal ulcer: Had problems off and on with horrible heartburn throughout my teens years until I ended up with an ulcer due to undiagnosed acid reflux and other problems. Was prescribed Protonix and it was the only thing that worked. Since then I have been able to use Tagamet (cimetidine) for every day use, along with watching what I eat, but the Protonix is awesome.

February 19, 2011 5:49 AM

Review by sieeko32:

For GERD: This medication worked for me, reducing the stomach acid significantly. It is worth a try for anyone suffering from GERD.

February 1, 2011 5:40 PM

Review by throatsonfire:

For GERD: Protonix totally eliminates my throat pain, hoarseness, reflux, etc. After 6 years my insurance decided not to cover it so for the last few months, I've been on several other medicines and they just don't work. My doctor is trying to convince them I need the Protonix. Wish me luck.

August 9, 2010 4:26 PM

Review by jburk:

For Barrett's Esophagus: I was on Prilosec for about 9 years for acid reflux. For me it was a miracle drug that gave me relief for acid reflux. My dosage was continually increased till I was taking 4 20mg pills a day (probably a problem with my acid reflux increasing). After having more problems, I had an endoscopy which showed I had Barrett's Esophagus. I was prescribed Protonix (2 x 40mg pills/day). So far Protonix has worked great. For me it works better than the Prilosec did.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 19, 2010 4:48 AM

Review by Narg:

For GERD: I was recently diagnosed with GERD. Of course this was after a trip to the hospital thinking I was having heart problems. The Doc put me on Protonix and after about 1 week it's as if my life was back to normal. Unfortunately, my insurance doesn't cover it any more so I gave it a "9" instead of a "10" rating for this alone. With many generic others costing only $5 for 60 days. Anyway, I suggest that if you do try it, give it a few days to work.

February 10, 2010 2:50 PM

Review by rickwassick:

For GERD: My gall bladder was acting up and the pain was terrible. I took a Protonix as soon as I got out of the doctors office (with a sandwich and doctor pepper) about 15 seconds later I was burping like CRAZY. Viola!! The pain subsided considerably in less than 3 minutes. AN hour later it was like I never even had the pain! I felt MUCH, MUCH better.

February 2, 2010 12:40 AM