User Reviews for Prilosec

Learn more about Prilosec.

Barrett's Esophagus 1 reviews 13 medications

Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome 0 reviews 55 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Prilosec reviews 22 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Prilosec

Review by john r... (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For GERD: This medicine saved my life. I was in pain and miserable. Tried all the OTC stuff Zantac, Pepcid, Previced, and many others with no success. Then I tried omeprazole and within day's I was better. Great medicine. Would definitely recommend.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 12:40 AM

Review by hannahleila:

For Erosive Esophagitis: I have taken Prilosec or omeprazole for years and in increasing doses over time it has given me perfect control over my reflux and heart burn problem. Nexium made me so sick after 5 days of use that I could not get out of bed. Nothing else has ever worked so extremely well than this medicine.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2014 4:32 AM

Review by boydgilbreath (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For GERD: Its the best PPI I've tried.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2013 9:33 AM

Review by janes7 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For GERD: A great medicine. I'm on 40 mg daily due to the feeling of my food being stuck in my throat. It was so bad at one time that I purposely made myself vomit for relief. After having my esophagus looked at - and finding out I also have a small hiatal hernia, doctor said my "flapper" doesn't close, or stay closed. So here I am religiously taking this medicine and mostly loving life. If you miss a day you will again feel miserable. I will say that over the years I have experienced "breakthrough" reflux at one time or another but never for a second day. Very happy.

August 26, 2013 11:39 AM

Review by Dan'l:

For GERD: I have been taking Prilosec for several years and I take one with water every morning about 30 minutes before I get up and it has totally eliminated any burning in my chest/esophagus. Also, I learned not to eat any Mexican or spicy food within 3 -4 hours before going to bed.

July 27, 2013 7:58 AM

Review by Grandma S (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For GERD: Prilosec has worked for me 90 percent of the time for the past eight years. My one and only complaint is: Why does it have to be packaged like it is gold. First a large box with three smaller boxes in that and then the pills individually sealed in foil sheets. What a pain to get all this open and just think of the amount of waste to the landfills. I called the company and they said they do this packaging for safety reasons. Many, many more dangerous other meds are not packaged like this. Please get those pills into a bottle.

February 7, 2013 8:45 PM

Review by whimpywall:

For GERD: Prilosec has always worked for me since I went off Nexium but I recently tried the flavored one and I can no longer take just one pill a day to keep the burning away....so off to the store today to get my regular Prilosec since I have finally finished the flavored box. No more of the flavored one for me.

February 4, 2013 12:00 PM

Review by JCsLight:

For Indigestion: In 2005 I had many tests. No clear diagnosis but Prilosec seemed to bring the burning under control for nearly 6 1/2 yrs. There was breakthrough pain, helped by diet. Though there were mood swings and muscle spasms. Never associated until reading these reviews.

April 26, 2012 11:23 AM

For GERD: This medicine did not work for me at all. Even with dietary changes I would have occasional flare ups.

April 5, 2012 5:07 PM

For Barrett's Esophagus: Works as well as pantoprazole for me. Relatively expensive.

February 12, 2012 3:23 AM

I took this medicine for acidity problem especially over night. After 10 days, acidity feels less, but I had adverse drug reaction: fever, joint pain in my hips, lower back pain, duodenal discomfort, diarrhea, fatigue ans some sides effects: headache nausea.

January 22, 2012 10:11 AM

For Duodenal Ulcer: Prilosec replaced a treatment that consisted of 800 mg Cimetidine about a week ago and seems to be doing the trick nicely.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2011 1:48 AM

Review by XmyXoneXandXonlyX:

For GERD: I am on 40mg of Prilosec for GERD and I have zero heartburn 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Do not forget to take a dose or else the fire monster comes up your throat.

October 11, 2011 10:57 PM

Review by teresabzie:

For GERD: I started taking Prilosec over 6 years ago. It was very effective at helping with the acid and GERD symptoms, however my Doctor prescribed two tablets a day (Over recommended dosage-due to seriousness of Gerd). I seem to be fine until I started getting horrible spasms in my sides and intestines. I broke my ankle in March and the spasms were bad and the spasms worsened. I had my calcium checked and I was dangerously low. We backed down to 1 Prilosec and the spasms disappeared. So watch your calcium with higher doses.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2011 11:18 PM

Review by lambnj24:

For GERD: Prilosec completely eradicates the severe reflux I suffer from due to a rare stomach condition known as gastroparesis. Sadly, it completely eliminates my appetite as well. It also slows my metabolism down to a crawl, which is already inherently slow due to my stomach condition.

July 11, 2011 4:44 PM

Review by bria22:

For GERD: I started taking one pill a day in October, switched to generic, which didn't work so the doctor suggested I take 2 a day. Still nothing, so I switched back to Prilosec and continued to take twice a day. Works pretty well, except for some days when I need to use a backup of tums or Zantac.

June 29, 2011 8:46 PM

For Erosive Esophagitis: Got control of the condition with Prevacid 30mg for a few months (felt sick most of the time on it) and then switched to Prilosec OTC after a mild relapse. I loved this medication and it worked like a charm for quite a few years. (3-4) Then gradually it became less effective and I had to go from 10 mg to 20 mg. Overall I am pleased with the product.

April 21, 2011 7:10 PM

Review by genop:

For GERD: Needed to stop taking due to red, swollen and painful joints side effect. Tried stopping then starting again but side effect occurred again.

October 9, 2010 5:19 PM

For GERD: I took this drug for several weeks and my GERD cleared up. Then, out of the blue, I became moody and angry at everyone. I read up on some of the side effects and found that mood issues have been associated. I tend to have this when I take anything that amps up your metabolism so it must contain something that is somewhat related to that.

December 30, 2009 2:46 AM

For GERD: Prilosec is the only new drug I have used and I find I have insomnia. I am going to stop using this and see if it clears up.

September 28, 2009 4:37 AM

Review by pauley:

For GERD: I tried Prilosec first for my heartburn symptoms but I noticed I had to take it a couple of times during the day which quickly added up. I found myself spending quite a bit of money.

February 20, 2009 9:13 AM

Review by j lynn:

For GERD: I have Crohns' Disease along with GERD and Prilosec works very well for me. I live by the stuff, it's the only thing that has ever worked.

September 18, 2008 7:30 PM

Review by olato:

For GERD: About three months ago my dr ordered prilosec 20 mg for heart burn. I also have diverticulosis that coused me to have a burning itching discharge. By the time I had taken 42 prilosec I noticed the burning and itching had completely stopped. I am still taking one prilosec every other day. I now need to know if I can take one 20 mg. prilosec tablet per day indefinately without harm to my health.

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2007 10:46 PM