User Reviews for Pantoprazole

Also known as: Protonix, Protonix IV

Learn more about Pantoprazole.

Peptic Ulcer 2 reviews 34 medications

Gastritis/Duodenitis 2 reviews 0 medications

5.5
Summary of Pantoprazole reviews 80 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Pantoprazole

Protonix IV (pantoprazole) for Stomach Ulcer: "I perforated a stomach ulcer, at age of only 33 y/o, and Protonix saved my life (after emergency surgery). ;-)"

SuffererOfUlcers (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2016

For Barrett's Esophagus: "It worked for the most part, but the side effects were miserable. Ever since I started taking the generic I've had terrible migraines and can't sleep through the night. I think the side effects outweigh the benefits."

Erinbritt (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

For GERD: "I began taking this medication over 7 years ago. It worked great for the first 4 years and slowly began to be less effective. After insurance denied my request to start a different PPI I began to take a double dose of it to make it work. It fixed the problem. Now after about a year of being back to my normal dose I am back to the awful breakthroughs. I wish it would be my miracle worker like it once was. It is the best that I have used so far of its kind. Just hoped it would have last forever."

Riri89 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 17, 2016

For GERD: "I have used this for 2 months and it changed my life, after 3 years of pain and seeing doctor after doctor for what I thought was gallbladder pain but the last 2 days I've not been feeling good, same old symptoms are back (not sure if it's something I ate or what ) heading back to doctor in 2 days.. Overall this medicine has helped me tremendously for the past 2 months !!!!"

Arb12345 December 21, 2015

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: "This was the worst medication I have ever taken. I was just prescribed this medication last week. After on it for only 2 days I stopped. Headache was unbearable. I thought I was gonna have to go to the hospital to get a cat scan until I realized it was probably the protonix. Then there was the nausea they came along as well. Five days later, I'm still nauseous, but used ginger to help with that. Overall, I will never use this medicine again."

Tee85 December 17, 2015

For Gastritis/Duodenitis: "I can't even explain how horrible this headache is. It is 3:44am, and I can't sleep a wink because of the horrible pain I'm in. I've only just started this medication, yesterday, and it will be my last dose. It's Pantoprozole Sodium Extended release 40mg. When they say headache is a possible/common side effect, they weren't kidding. Migraine like pain. I will gladly take gastritis over this crap. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, again. This sucks soooooo bad!!!"

So freaking terrible (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2015

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: "Unfortunately I have suffered with very serious GERD for 28 years and it has been awful. I have tried every prescription medicine out there and none of them work for me like Protonix does. I feel very close to a normal human being on this medication but none of the others lived up to Protonix. I received a horrible notice from our health insurance provider this past week and after December 31, 2015 they will no longer cover this drug. Their only suggestion for me with severe reflux is to try something else!!! I have tried EVERYTHING else on the market and nothing works but Protonix. NOTHING! I am so sick with the GERD when I am off this medicine I am pretty much house bound because I am so sick. For me it is a miracle drug!"

bordercollielover (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 14, 2015

For GERD: "I have had great results for several years with generic pantoprazole, except twice when the pharmacy used the version from Sun Pharma. Not sure the marked difference (although there was a patent lawsuit against Sun for not disclosing a slight difference in chemical structure several years ago), but taking the Sun version is pretty much like taking nothing at all. I took a week's worth this time (there is a shortage of the Teva drug I usually get) and spent last night sick to my stomach with gnawing pain and bizarre single hiccups and belches. And while the pharmacy apparently had gotten some of the Teva brand in, I had to pay the full $40 because I couldn't get another batch covered by insurance for 2 weeks. Not all generics are equal."

JHawkMamaX2 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 13, 2015

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: "I was put on this medication after my insurance company stopped covering another PPI that worked well for me. I lasted one month and spent most of it popping ranitadine since anything I ate or drank caused almost immediate heartburn. By the end of the month I was vomiting. It was awful. I hated to be a pain but I called my PCP and told them I needed to go back on my previous med, which of course involved a lot of paperwork on his part. I have a friend that swears by this medication but mostly all I did was swear during the month I took it."

DonnaRNCEN September 24, 2015

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: "Best medicine ever! I have taken Protonix for over 5 years now with no complaints other than when I run out and have to use over the counter meds that do not work. I usually take the Protonix 1st thing in the morning. It lasts all day. There have been times I have forgotten to take it 1st thing in the morning however, no matter when I take it the pill still works within 15 minutes of being taken as if I had taken it in the morning."

D PRO (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 13, 2015

For Barrett's Esophagus: "I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus about 13 months ago after suffering from GERDS for 30 years or more. I was prescribed Pantoprazole 40mg tablets orally once a day. Since then, I have had just two episodes of mild esophageal reflux caused by eating very spicey Mexican dinners about four hours before bedtime. I can't say enough positive things about how much this medication has improved my quality of life."

Rapsie (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 25, 2015

For Duodenal Ulcer: "I was rushed to the hospital with a bleeding duodenal ulcer and treated with pantoprazole after bleeding was stopped and it did a great job with minor dry mouth side effect. l believe the drug works well."

Anonymous August 18, 2015

For Erosive Esophagitis: "I had my GERD under control though diet with only occasional heart burn. A scope found that I was still experiencing erosive esophagitis so the doc put me on 40 mg pantoprazole. I can now eat just about anything but I'm still very sensitive to spicy foods and fatty foods. I'm considering decreasing the dosage to 20 mg to see if it still works."

Doggielover54 July 15, 2015

For Barrett's Esophagus: "Took this drug for 5 months for acid reflux at nighttime unknowingly acid splashed up in my throat giving me a continuous sore throat during the day. The side effects it caused was a major concern; i.e., reduces stomach acid up to 80% resulting in poor digestion and absorption especially B12 and Calcium. I found that my stool was long and very fat, (uncommon for me and indicative of poor digestion/absorption). Another side effect was a very bad dry mouth AND, extremely dry hands --constantly wrinkled up --like when one sits in the bath tub for a couple hours. I stopped taking it and now take a couple of Tums before bedtime."

E. Ekimi (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2015

For GERD: "Protonix does what it's supposed to do unless I really overeat, eat or drink something really acidic. Sometimes, I have the feeling of hoarseness, coughing like food is coming back up in my esophagus. If I have to vomit, my food looks undigested due to the protonix not letting my stomach produce enough acid. Miss a day of protonix or vomit and you pay the price."

shebo69 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2015

For Gastritis/Duodenitis: "This med has been a life saver for me. I had gotten a severe case of food poisoning, then I developed gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining due to excessive vomiting) The ambulance had to take me to the emergency room! When I was released 6 hrs later, I was prescribed this med. My stomach pain immediately lessened. One every 24hrs. I'm on day 5 and the gastritis is about gone. No cramps, no pain in my stomach, no nausea. I recommend this one for gastistis!!!"

kkrocksvegas April 16, 2015

For GERD: "Over three years ago I went to the doctor because I was getting severely ill every morning, the doctor diagnosed me with GERD and prescribed this for me. It worked great and I never had any symptoms unless I forgot to take it. Now, three years later it seems to have stopped working for me. I'm back to getting ill every morning with stomach pains. I gave it a 7 out of 10 for this reason. It worked great for me for so long but now my doctors are trying to find another solution."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 20, 2015

For GERD: "This is a wonderful medication. I used to have GERD, and now I can eat anything, Mexican food, spicy food, sweets, anything and it does not bother me."

Desertii (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2015

For GERD: "Tried most acid relievers and Protonix worked by far the best. Thank you Protonix."

Dan. (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 21, 2014

For GERD: "Instant help on my regurgitation of food and stomach acid. And it was very chronic. Better than Nexium and all others. I have tried them all and pantoprazole is the best."

Risky kiddies (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 8, 2014

Protonix IV (pantoprazole) for Stomach Ulcer: "Works instant, better than any other meds"

goodpeople December 1, 2014

For GERD: "I was prescribed Protonix for GERD after having a heart attack. I had been prescribed Omeprazole prior for the same condition, but after about 3 days, I had a very painful stomach, and eventually my stomach failed to empty and I spent a night over the toilet, throwing up everything I had eaten the afternoon before. I stopped the Omeprazole, and then tried it again about 3 weeks later, same result. Protonix was new to me and I decided to give it a chance, but 5 days after taking my first dose, I just spent a day in pain and once again, threw up my dinner and lunch from the day before. "

pwcca November 5, 2014

Protonix (pantoprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: "I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus six years ago, and regularly used Prilosec for the past 8 years, but I occasionally still had severe heartburn. Like the last post, I too was prescribed a higher and higher dose until I was taking 4-6 pills a day, still getting occasional heartburn. Last year I started taking only 40 mg per day of Pantoprazole, and I seldom (less than once a month when I get careless with food and/or alcohol) have had heartburn at all. I highly recommend asking your doctor about this medication, if you suffer from long term frequent heartburn and Prilosec no longer sees to work as well."

Severe Heartburn/BE (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 22, 2014

Protonix IV (pantoprazole) for GERD: "I would cough like I was having asthma attacks but come to find out after taking everything there is on the plant for lung disease. This pill stopped it all I had acid and it caused the rest of stop. But I have flare ups now and then still."

Lilly1234 July 27, 2014

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: "After two days on Protonix (for GERD associated with adult-onset asthma) I ended up in the emergency room with extremely high blood pressure, fast, pounding pulse, severe headache, and severe anxiety. "

CzechChick (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2014