User Reviews for Pantoprazole

Also known as: Protonix, Protonix IV

Learn more about Pantoprazole.

Peptic Ulcer 2 reviews 34 medications

Gastritis/Duodenitis 2 reviews 0 medications

5.5
Summary of Pantoprazole reviews 92 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Pantoprazole

For Stomach Ulcer: "I gave it a 1 because the side effects for me were so severe. I can't tell yet whether it helped my stomach but I knew instantly I had to get off it. Further reading and other people's experiences sealed the deal for me. I went deaf, instantly jaundice face and eyes, eye sight went some days...some days not. I was taking other drugs that were compatible with it but the side effects I'm certain came from this one. Once I went off of it (I tapered down over a week while upping my diet based on my condition's needs) I had a severe headache for a couple of days, heart raced and a bit of nausea. Feel much better now and the jaundice is gone and after almost two months of not being able to hear, I hear a bit better today. I was taking 80mg"

Jewelgal (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2016

For GERD: "I was prescribed this medication because my insurance wasn't covering my previous medication which worked just right for me. This medication does ease the stomach pain but it gives me a nasty headache. The last headache that I had that was contributed by this medication lasted 5 days! Once I came to the realization that it was the Pantoprazole 40mg I stopped taking them and the headache went away."

gayle14587 (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

For Stomach Ulcer: "Seems to ease stomach pain."

nov021925 April 24, 2016

For Stomach Ulcer: "Starting taking this med after bleeding duodenal ulcer put me in hospital-Took for 2 weeks but my sugars started spiking near 400 no matter what I ate. This is not the drug for me or possibly any other diabetics out there with sugar control issues."

trish59 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2016

For GERD: "I have been taking this medication for 6 years now religiously every morning. I am now concerned of the long term risks. They are linking this drug and other PPI's to a higher risk of devoloping dimensia. I take 40 mg. every morning and my doctor has prescribed me 20mg. So I can start to slowly lower myself off from taking so much. I have not started the 20 mg. yet since I've been on 40 mg. for years im afraid of how my body will react to it. Overall this medicine works better then any other medicine I have tried for my acid reflux. I don't think I will be able to live without it."

Nay84 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 6, 2016

For GERD: "I started taking pantopraxole 6 days ago as my insurance company would not let me continue taking esomeprazole because it was not on the "formulary". I had to be able to prove that other meds for the GERD were either not effective or caused too many side effects. At first, the pantoprazole seemed to work. Then last night I began having severe reflux and heartburn that were not relieved by the usual treatments I have used when I was on omeprazole, before I started taking Nexium (esomeprazole ). I was awake all night, unable to find anyway of relieving the heartburn and reflux. This morning, I developed severe stomach pain which also was not relieved by any other home treatments. I refuse to ever take this drug again!"

mtnrose (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2016

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: "I took this medication until my HMO dropped it fron their formulary. While taking it, I felt great. I took only one a day and, if I forgot to take it or forgot to refill it before running out, I could miss a day or two without the heartburn returning. My doctor subsequently put me on Prilosec, twice a day. If I miss one, heartburn returns with a vengeance. If I miss a whole day, it takes three to five days to get the heartburn under control, again"

DublJ (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2016

For GERD: "Perhaps this was because it is my only prescription that I use. Reading other persons' negative results may perhaps be due to interaction with other prescriptions."

My results were excellent. (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 23, 2016

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: "I had heartburn and a history of an ulcer so my doctor put me on Protonix and when taking it daily I feel great, however with the new information about this kind of drug being linked to dementia and also that is can cause one to be addicted to it and cause rebound acid I decided to stop it. I am on day 4 and now a mild constant burning is in my stomach and often back up to my chest. I was given them for heartburn but the doctor wrote gerd and later I developed gerd on days I tried not to take it so I am concerned about this all coming back by 10 times worse. I am looking into a natural alternative first as dementia is all around in my family and my new holistic/medical doctor says this type of drug is dangerous."

TerryTwoHearts February 22, 2016

For Stomach Ulcer: "The side effects from this medication after 2 days was horrific. I had to stop taking it. Stomach pain, excessive urination & intestinal pain from worse than normal constipation. Wow."

Ezjazz121 (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2016

For GERD: "I cut them in half [now 20 mg], from the beginning, take before breakfast, works like a charm. If I miss in the morning, I will have heart burn that night. -Affecting leg circulation??? used compression stockings, then message therapy, now replaced by using a rolling pin for 2 minutes (twice a day) rolling UP the leg. Saves me hundreds of $. -Cause of skin rash and itching on legs??? may be caused by dry air??"

Ray R (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 20, 2016

For GERD: "Was prescribed nexium for gastritis and did not relieve symptoms. Went twice to ER had abdo xrays, blood tests, heart monitoring all came back normal. Put on pantoprazole and gp advised could stop after a month. Nearly a week off this and feel worse than ever with return of symptoms. Looks like have to recommence pantoprazole and have a GI consult. So over the discomfort and constant nausea"

Mia1971 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2016

Protonix IV (pantoprazole) for Stomach Ulcer: "I perforated a stomach ulcer, at age of only 33 y/o, and Protonix saved my life (after emergency surgery). ;-)"

SuffererOfUlcers (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2016

For Barrett's Esophagus: "It worked for the most part, but the side effects were miserable. Ever since I started taking the generic I've had terrible migraines and can't sleep through the night. I think the side effects outweigh the benefits."

Erinbritt (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

For GERD: "I began taking this medication over 7 years ago. It worked great for the first 4 years and slowly began to be less effective. After insurance denied my request to start a different PPI I began to take a double dose of it to make it work. It fixed the problem. Now after about a year of being back to my normal dose I am back to the awful breakthroughs. I wish it would be my miracle worker like it once was. It is the best that I have used so far of its kind. Just hoped it would have last forever."

Riri89 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 17, 2016

For GERD: "I have used this for 2 months and it changed my life, after 3 years of pain and seeing doctor after doctor for what I thought was gallbladder pain but the last 2 days I've not been feeling good, same old symptoms are back (not sure if it's something I ate or what ) heading back to doctor in 2 days.. Overall this medicine has helped me tremendously for the past 2 months !!!!"

Arb12345 December 21, 2015

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: "This was the worst medication I have ever taken. I was just prescribed this medication last week. After on it for only 2 days I stopped. Headache was unbearable. I thought I was gonna have to go to the hospital to get a cat scan until I realized it was probably the protonix. Then there was the nausea they came along as well. Five days later, I'm still nauseous, but used ginger to help with that. Overall, I will never use this medicine again."

Tee85 December 17, 2015

For Gastritis/Duodenitis: "I can't even explain how horrible this headache is. It is 3:44am, and I can't sleep a wink because of the horrible pain I'm in. I've only just started this medication, yesterday, and it will be my last dose. It's Pantoprozole Sodium Extended release 40mg. When they say headache is a possible/common side effect, they weren't kidding. Migraine like pain. I will gladly take gastritis over this crap. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, again. This sucks soooooo bad!!!"

So freaking terrible (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2015

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: "Unfortunately I have suffered with very serious GERD for 28 years and it has been awful. I have tried every prescription medicine out there and none of them work for me like Protonix does. I feel very close to a normal human being on this medication but none of the others lived up to Protonix. I received a horrible notice from our health insurance provider this past week and after December 31, 2015 they will no longer cover this drug. Their only suggestion for me with severe reflux is to try something else!!! I have tried EVERYTHING else on the market and nothing works but Protonix. NOTHING! I am so sick with the GERD when I am off this medicine I am pretty much house bound because I am so sick. For me it is a miracle drug!"

bordercollielover (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 14, 2015

For GERD: "I have had great results for several years with generic pantoprazole, except twice when the pharmacy used the version from Sun Pharma. Not sure the marked difference (although there was a patent lawsuit against Sun for not disclosing a slight difference in chemical structure several years ago), but taking the Sun version is pretty much like taking nothing at all. I took a week's worth this time (there is a shortage of the Teva drug I usually get) and spent last night sick to my stomach with gnawing pain and bizarre single hiccups and belches. And while the pharmacy apparently had gotten some of the Teva brand in, I had to pay the full $40 because I couldn't get another batch covered by insurance for 2 weeks. Not all generics are equal."

JHawkMamaX2 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 13, 2015

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: "I was put on this medication after my insurance company stopped covering another PPI that worked well for me. I lasted one month and spent most of it popping ranitadine since anything I ate or drank caused almost immediate heartburn. By the end of the month I was vomiting. It was awful. I hated to be a pain but I called my PCP and told them I needed to go back on my previous med, which of course involved a lot of paperwork on his part. I have a friend that swears by this medication but mostly all I did was swear during the month I took it."

DonnaRNCEN September 24, 2015

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: "Best medicine ever! I have taken Protonix for over 5 years now with no complaints other than when I run out and have to use over the counter meds that do not work. I usually take the Protonix 1st thing in the morning. It lasts all day. There have been times I have forgotten to take it 1st thing in the morning however, no matter when I take it the pill still works within 15 minutes of being taken as if I had taken it in the morning."

D PRO (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 13, 2015

For Barrett's Esophagus: "I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus about 13 months ago after suffering from GERDS for 30 years or more. I was prescribed Pantoprazole 40mg tablets orally once a day. Since then, I have had just two episodes of mild esophageal reflux caused by eating very spicey Mexican dinners about four hours before bedtime. I can't say enough positive things about how much this medication has improved my quality of life."

Rapsie (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 25, 2015

For Duodenal Ulcer: "I was rushed to the hospital with a bleeding duodenal ulcer and treated with pantoprazole after bleeding was stopped and it did a great job with minor dry mouth side effect. l believe the drug works well."

Anonymous August 18, 2015

For Erosive Esophagitis: "I had my GERD under control though diet with only occasional heart burn. A scope found that I was still experiencing erosive esophagitis so the doc put me on 40 mg pantoprazole. I can now eat just about anything but I'm still very sensitive to spicy foods and fatty foods. I'm considering decreasing the dosage to 20 mg to see if it still works."

Doggielover54 July 15, 2015