User Reviews for Pantoprazole

Also known as: Protonix, Protonix IV

Learn more about Pantoprazole.

Pantoprazole Review Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 145 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Pantoprazole to treat GERD

"Protonix does what it's supposed to do unless I really overeat, eat or drink something really acidic. Sometimes, I have the feeling of hoarseness, coughing like food is coming back up in my esophagus. If I have to vomit, my food looks undigested due to the protonix not letting my stomach produce enough acid. Miss a day of protonix or vomit and you pay the price."

shebo69 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2015

"Over three years ago I went to the doctor because I was getting severely ill every morning, the doctor diagnosed me with GERD and prescribed this for me. It worked great and I never had any symptoms unless I forgot to take it. Now, three years later it seems to have stopped working for me. I'm back to getting ill every morning with stomach pains. I gave it a 7 out of 10 for this reason. It worked great for me for so long but now my doctors are trying to find another solution."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 20, 2015

"This is a wonderful medication. I used to have GERD, and now I can eat anything, Mexican food, spicy food, sweets, anything and it does not bother me."

Desertii (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2015

"Tried most acid relievers and Protonix worked by far the best. Thank you Protonix."

Dan. (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 21, 2014

"Instant help on my regurgitation of food and stomach acid. And it was very chronic. Better than Nexium and all others. I have tried them all and pantoprazole is the best."

Risky kiddies (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 8, 2014

"I was prescribed Protonix for GERD after having a heart attack. I had been prescribed Omeprazole prior for the same condition, but after about 3 days, I had a very painful stomach, and eventually my stomach failed to empty and I spent a night over the toilet, throwing up everything I had eaten the afternoon before. I stopped the Omeprazole, and then tried it again about 3 weeks later, same result. Protonix was new to me and I decided to give it a chance, but 5 days after taking my first dose, I just spent a day in pain and once again, threw up my dinner and lunch from the day before. "

pwcca November 5, 2014

Protonix IV (pantoprazole): "I would cough like I was having asthma attacks but come to find out after taking everything there is on the plant for lung disease. This pill stopped it all I had acid and it caused the rest of stop. But I have flare ups now and then still."

Lilly1234 July 27, 2014

Protonix (pantoprazole): "After two days on Protonix (for GERD associated with adult-onset asthma) I ended up in the emergency room with extremely high blood pressure, fast, pounding pulse, severe headache, and severe anxiety. "

CzechChick (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2014

"Pantoprazole helped with the acid reflux. My problem started four years into taking it. For months I experienced flu like symptoms, such as muscle and joint aches, diarrhea, weakness and extreme fatigue. After MANY tests were done, I was told that I was vitamin D deficient. I know that any meds that control stomach acid also block the absorption of vitamins and things your body needs. I stopped taking Pantoprazole and was put on prescription vitamin D. After just one week, I felt like a new person. I cut out foods that bother my stomach and cut my portions in half. I may have to chew a Tums once in a while, but I feel great. So watch how long your doctor has you on this drug. It took four years to have the side effects that I had."

CarriePep March 7, 2014

"Kremers Urban pantoprazole is the best generic. My pharmacy switched my script to another company but it gave me the worst acid reflex I have ever had. "

PeterNH (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2013

"I have been on Omeprazole / Pepcid for 5 years and pantaprazole for couple months in the middle, if the symptoms became worse. I used to feel little itchy + seon my hands 5 years ago when I took pantaprazole for a month. My doc had me to switch to Omeprazole regularly. After an year my doc had me to switch to Pepcid regularly since Omeprazole gave me acid rebound! So it became like, if the symproms show up bad, I would start with Pantaprazole coupld weeks and switch to Omeprazole and finally switch to Pepcid ongoing. But since an year ao. Pepcid + Omeprazole do not work! My doc had me to take Pantaprazole for the past 6 months regularly. Its perfect, its working very well for me. No more sleepless nights! Surprisingly no itching this time!"

Good-Citizen November 11, 2013

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I have taken for about 7 years now. I never had stomach problems but got what they thought was an ulcer, later endoscopy showed no ulcer, but signs of Barrett's esophagus. I also had hoarse voice, especially in the morning. Ph study pointed to GERD. Long story short, no more hoarseness. Subsequent scopes show no signs of esophagus damage. Now for the bad. Very rarely, when I eat fast, I do get choking sensations that I did not ever have before. Also, if I run out of the medicine and/or miss a dose or two, wicked bad heartburn. Never had heartburn before. As long as I stay on it I am good. "

rv Rob April 16, 2013

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Protonix (pantoprazole): "Started taking this about 8 years ago after developing an ulcer from taking Aleve. Was fine for a few years, with only flatulance and loose bowel movements. For the last 3 years, I started developing asthma symptoms (phlegm in throat and lungs, coughing). Stopping Protonix cleared it up. Took 1 pill again and the asthma started again. Too bad, I really liked this medication."

Jim0523 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 27, 2013

"Overall an exceptional medicine with perfect symptom control UNTIL I received the generic put out by a manufacturer in INDIA. Symptoms returned immediately, and pharmacy replaced the remaining pills immediately on reporting my experience. "

florida33 February 26, 2013

"Side effects arrythmia, chest pain and muscle stiffness experienced"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 10, 2012

Protonix (pantoprazole): "This was not effective in reducing acid. Four days after stopping Nexium and starting Protonix the heartburn started and I had to take Gaviscon. I had a 3 month supply so I kept taking it and ended up with a swollen, painful esophagus and difficulty swallowing with vomiting. I stopped taking Nexium because my insurance no longer would cover it. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2012

"This is the BEST and only medicine that works for me for GERD and ulcers. I've tried others at my insurance company request but this is the only one that really works."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2012

Protonix (pantoprazole): "Worked at first to bring heartburn/acid re-flux under control, however I had to stop taking it because it started causing severe stomach & abdominal pain. Now control through diet & Tums EX. The pain from the Protonix side effect was terrible when it started happening."

whytegold March 31, 2012

"Before taking pantoprazole I experienced burning in the center and left of my chest day and night. Now, I am symptom free regardless of diet. I have also lost 61 pounds since then, so my weight loss may have contributed as well, however even before weight loss I was symptom free."

rgarber February 8, 2012

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I only discovered I had GERD from an endoscopy. I've always had a horrible stomach, but recently had a constant sore throat. The Protonix worked wonders! But then I noticed I was constipated and had a huge appetite. I briefly switched medicines but went back to Protonix. It was when I started taking it again and had two abdominal exams that I realized my liver was enlarged. The doctors immediately dismissed it since I've had my gallbladder removed. They said it was scar tissue. My daughter has eosinophilic colitis so I'm really just focused on her gastrointestinal care, but at my next follow up I will address the issue. I did cut out milk/dairy from my diet and that seemed to help as much as the medicine!"

Bad gut December 1, 2011

"Finally got relief from constant burning sensation in my esophagus after 3.5 months. It took 23 days before feeling totally fine. Tried Prilosec and Esophaguard from Life Extension prior to using this prescription. I also stopped drinking coffee and wine, stopped taking Actonel for bones because after 4 years, it contributed to the heartburn also. I had to change my calcium intake with Calcium Citrate instead of carbonate so that it could be absorbed."

Audrey3091 November 8, 2011

Protonix (pantoprazole): "If you don't get ahead of an attack, this pill won't work. I have been on it for years now and have had little problem with it until it didn't work one weekend so I doubled up on it and ended up in the hospital a week later with seizure due to hypomagnesia (or however you say lack of magnesium). Make sure you are getting all your electrolytes when taking proton pump inhibitors."

looking for new drugs September 17, 2011

"I have used "Protonix" for years, and consider it quite the miracle pill at preventing my heartburn and reflux. My most recent refill was the generic and now I regularly wake up at night with heartburn."

Anonymous August 20, 2011

"I have found out how great this medicine does work for my condition, since I was out of it for about 8 days. Every time it comes to renew my prescription, I have a hassle with my insurance company wanting to approve payment for having to take 2 40MG tablets a day. Then, the pharmacy didn't have the amount prescribed after getting the insurance approval with the insistence of my doctor, but finally gave me a small amount yesterday until the full amount of my prescription can be met. While without the medicine, I experienced the nausea effects in the evening/night and some minor acid-reflux issues and burning in the chest. By the 5th day of being totally without any medicine for this, the acid-reflux/GERD issues returned full blown."

JudyF February 18, 2011

Protonix (pantoprazole): "This medication worked for me, reducing the stomach acid significantly. It is worth a try for anyone suffering from GERD."

sieeko32 February 1, 2011