User Reviews for Pantoprazole

Also known as: Protonix, Protonix IV

Learn more about Pantoprazole.

Pantoprazole review summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 144 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Pantoprazole to treat GERD

Review by Lilly1234:

Protonix IV (pantoprazole): I would cough like I was having asthma attacks but come to find out after taking everything there is on the plant for lung disease. This pill stopped it all I had acid and it caused the rest of stop. But I have flare ups now and then still.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 27, 2014 11:17 PM

Review by CzechChick (taken for less than 1 month):

Protonix (pantoprazole): After two days on Protonix (for GERD associated with adult-onset asthma) I ended up in the emergency room with extremely high blood pressure, fast, pounding pulse, severe headache, and severe anxiety.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 22, 2014 5:30 PM

Review by PeterNH (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Kremers Urban pantoprazole is the best generic. My pharmacy switched my script to another company but it gave me the worst acid reflex I have ever had.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2013 6:48 PM

Review by Good-Citizen:

I have been on Omeprazole / Pepcid for 5 years and pantaprazole for couple months in the middle, if the symptoms became worse. I used to feel little itchy + seon my hands 5 years ago when I took pantaprazole for a month. My doc had me to switch to Omeprazole regularly. After an year my doc had me to switch to Pepcid regularly since Omeprazole gave me acid rebound! So it became like, if the symproms show up bad, I would start with Pantaprazole coupld weeks and switch to Omeprazole and finally switch to Pepcid ongoing. But since an year ao. Pepcid + Omeprazole do not work! My doc had me to take Pantaprazole for the past 6 months regularly. Its perfect, its working very well for me. No more sleepless nights! Surprisingly no itching this time!

November 11, 2013 5:07 PM

Review by rv Rob:

Protonix (pantoprazole): I have taken for about 7 years now. I never had stomach problems but got what they thought was an ulcer, later endoscopy showed no ulcer, but signs of Barrett's esophagus. I also had hoarse voice, especially in the morning. Ph study pointed to GERD. Long story short, no more hoarseness. Subsequent scopes show no signs of esophagus damage. Now for the bad. Very rarely, when I eat fast, I do get choking sensations that I did not ever have before. Also, if I run out of the medicine and/or miss a dose or two, wicked bad heartburn. Never had heartburn before. As long as I stay on it I am good.

April 16, 2013 12:56 AM

Review by Jim0523 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Protonix (pantoprazole): Started taking this about 8 years ago after developing an ulcer from taking Aleve. Was fine for a few years, with only flatulance and loose bowel movements. For the last 3 years, I started developing asthma symptoms (phlegm in throat and lungs, coughing). Stopping Protonix cleared it up. Took 1 pill again and the asthma started again. Too bad, I really liked this medication.

March 27, 2013 4:33 PM

Review by florida33:

Overall an exceptional medicine with perfect symptom control UNTIL I received the generic put out by a manufacturer in INDIA. Symptoms returned immediately, and pharmacy replaced the remaining pills immediately on reporting my experience.

February 26, 2013 12:43 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Side effects arrythmia, chest pain and muscle stiffness experienced

November 10, 2012 7:43 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Protonix (pantoprazole): This was not effective in reducing acid. Four days after stopping Nexium and starting Protonix the heartburn started and I had to take Gaviscon. I had a 3 month supply so I kept taking it and ended up with a swollen, painful esophagus and difficulty swallowing with vomiting. I stopped taking Nexium because my insurance no longer would cover it.

June 21, 2012 1:06 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

This is the BEST and only medicine that works for me for GERD and ulcers. I've tried others at my insurance company request but this is the only one that really works.

May 23, 2012 1:06 AM

Review by whytegold:

Protonix (pantoprazole): Worked at first to bring heartburn/acid re-flux under control, however I had to stop taking it because it started causing severe stomach & abdominal pain. Now control through diet & Tums EX. The pain from the Protonix side effect was terrible when it started happening.

March 31, 2012 2:10 PM

Review by rgarber:

Before taking pantoprazole I experienced burning in the center and left of my chest day and night. Now, I am symptom free regardless of diet. I have also lost 61 pounds since then, so my weight loss may have contributed as well, however even before weight loss I was symptom free.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2012 9:20 AM

Review by Bad gut:

Protonix (pantoprazole): I only discovered I had GERD from an endoscopy. I've always had a horrible stomach, but recently had a constant sore throat. The Protonix worked wonders! But then I noticed I was constipated and had a huge appetite. I briefly switched medicines but went back to Protonix. It was when I started taking it again and had two abdominal exams that I realized my liver was enlarged. The doctors immediately dismissed it since I've had my gallbladder removed. They said it was scar tissue. My daughter has eosinophilic colitis so I'm really just focused on her gastrointestinal care, but at my next follow up I will address the issue. I did cut out milk/dairy from my diet and that seemed to help as much as the medicine!

December 1, 2011 11:42 PM

Review by Audrey3091:

Finally got relief from constant burning sensation in my esophagus after 3.5 months. It took 23 days before feeling totally fine. Tried Prilosec and Esophaguard from Life Extension prior to using this prescription. I also stopped drinking coffee and wine, stopped taking Actonel for bones because after 4 years, it contributed to the heartburn also. I had to change my calcium intake with Calcium Citrate instead of carbonate so that it could be absorbed.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2011 8:22 AM

Review by looking for new drugs:

Protonix (pantoprazole): If you don't get ahead of an attack, this pill won't work. I have been on it for years now and have had little problem with it until it didn't work one weekend so I doubled up on it and ended up in the hospital a week later with seizure due to hypomagnesia (or however you say lack of magnesium). Make sure you are getting all your electrolytes when taking proton pump inhibitors.

September 17, 2011 3:52 PM

I have used "Protonix" for years, and consider it quite the miracle pill at preventing my heartburn and reflux. My most recent refill was the generic and now I regularly wake up at night with heartburn.

August 20, 2011 12:45 PM

Review by JudyF:

I have found out how great this medicine does work for my condition, since I was out of it for about 8 days. Every time it comes to renew my prescription, I have a hassle with my insurance company wanting to approve payment for having to take 2 40MG tablets a day. Then, the pharmacy didn't have the amount prescribed after getting the insurance approval with the insistence of my doctor, but finally gave me a small amount yesterday until the full amount of my prescription can be met. While without the medicine, I experienced the nausea effects in the evening/night and some minor acid-reflux issues and burning in the chest. By the 5th day of being totally without any medicine for this, the acid-reflux/GERD issues returned full blown.

February 18, 2011 2:30 PM

Review by sieeko32:

Protonix (pantoprazole): This medication worked for me, reducing the stomach acid significantly. It is worth a try for anyone suffering from GERD.

February 1, 2011 5:40 PM

Review by throatsonfire:

Protonix (pantoprazole): Protonix totally eliminates my throat pain, hoarseness, reflux, etc. After 6 years my insurance decided not to cover it so for the last few months, I've been on several other medicines and they just don't work. My doctor is trying to convince them I need the Protonix. Wish me luck.

August 9, 2010 4:26 PM

Review by ninemospregnant:

This is a miracle medicine. Towards the end of my pregnancy my acid reflux was truly just unbearable. This is the only thing that has helped me. I can sleep and eat again, and not randomly choke on acid through the day.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2010 9:48 AM

Review by Narg:

Protonix (pantoprazole): I was recently diagnosed with GERD. Of course this was after a trip to the hospital thinking I was having heart problems. The Doc put me on Protonix and after about 1 week it's as if my life was back to normal. Unfortunately, my insurance doesn't cover it any more so I gave it a "9" instead of a "10" rating for this alone. With many generic others costing only $5 for 60 days. Anyway, I suggest that if you do try it, give it a few days to work.

February 10, 2010 2:50 PM

Review by rickwassick:

Protonix (pantoprazole): My gall bladder was acting up and the pain was terrible. I took a Protonix as soon as I got out of the doctors office (with a sandwich and doctor pepper) about 15 seconds later I was burping like CRAZY. Viola!! The pain subsided considerably in less than 3 minutes. AN hour later it was like I never even had the pain! I felt MUCH, MUCH better.

February 2, 2010 12:40 AM

Review by shamrock2228:

Protonix (pantoprazole): Worked great for GERD. After a while of being on it, it doesn't seem to work that well. I am on 40 mg's/day and now have a stomach ulcer?

December 13, 2009 9:42 AM

Review by mr T.:

Protonix (pantoprazole): I've tried everything nothing worked. I had both an ulcer and acid reflux. Protonix worked the day I got it. One of the pharmacies tried to use generic and I had all the symptoms all over again. Doctor found out about the generic brand, fixed the problem with the real Protonix. Problem solved. Protonics is the answer for me.

November 17, 2009 9:09 PM

Protonix (pantoprazole): I've had years of GERD without any food triggers and daily heartburn. Protonix was a dream! It is, however, very expensive. My insurance had it on its drug list and dropped it this year. A 30 day supply is $120! I've had to switch to Nexium.

September 28, 2009 5:23 PM