User Reviews for Dexilant

Learn more about Dexilant.

Erosive Esophagitis 6 reviews 111 medications

8.1
Summary of Dexilant reviews 55 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Dexilant

Review by janet50peru:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: I had a Barret procedure and started taking Dexilant. It work miracles for my acid reflux. I could eat anything and feel perfect but started getting lots of headaches (day and night), ear discomfort with pressure and noise, my blood pressure jumped to the sky and a feeling of tiredness all day). I stop the medication abruptly and now I feel like something is stuck in my throat but otherwise feeling so much better. Doctor is going to put me in something else... so sad Dexilant didn't work for me.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 15, 2014 2:44 PM
Review by hsmith64115 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: I suffered from GERD for over 4 years and have tried everything. I was eating Tums like candy and taking Prilosec. Then I started with the acid reflux in my sleep and woke up gagging and vomiting. I had a scope 2 months ago and was told I have high-grade dysplasia Barrett's. Doctor put me on 60 mg Dexilant daily. Within 2 days I was in heaven! Works wonders but now I have diarrhea that is constant. It started a few days after I started to take it. Other than that, it works wonders. I can actually sleep in my bed instead of the recliner.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 28, 2014 11:04 PM
Review by Leeza14 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: I've been taking this for four years, and it barely takes the edge off for me. I wish there was something else, but this is pretty much it after all the others stopped working, too.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 24, 2014 7:32 PM
Review by SummarDrummer: User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for Erosive Esophagitis: I've had acid reflux for 4 years. My doctor recommended Prilosec, etc. None of the over the counter medicines worked. Some mornings, I would wake up with a mouthful of acid. My voice was becoming more horse. On some days I could barely speak and thought I would lose my voice entirely. My latest Doc prescribed Dexilant after giving me some free samples. Within a few days, my throat was better. I've been taking it for 1 month and my voice is almost back to normal. So far, I've had no side effects, but will taper off the medicine so I don't get weakened bones due to lower calcium intake. The doc gave me a discount card, and insurance covers all but $20.00.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 3, 2014 5:13 AM
Review by Bayfishn (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: I tried everything over the counter and prescription with no success until Dexilant, now I sleep at night and eat normal food. note: I do take a fiber to help with a bit of constipation. note:you can get a discount card on the Dexilant website.

January 20, 2014 9:33 PM
Review by I have Barretts and GERD.: User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: A year ago I was given Dexilant on a trial basis after being diagnosed with Barretts. I immediately had relief for GERD. My only issue now is that I have had some chest pains that could mimic a heart attack. I actually went to the ER a month ago to get checked out. My EKG and heart was normal . Now last night I experienced the same situation where the chest pain would come for about 5 seconds and subside for 10 minutes or so. Very disconcerting. I am sleeping better at night and feel much less nausea than before Dexilant.

November 16, 2013 11:00 AM
Review by S Anne K (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: Marvelous results for treating my Barrett's esophagus. Too expensive with my prescription plan. Hoping Nexium will help me maintain.

November 10, 2013 3:49 PM
Review by MrsA2013: User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: After trying Omeprazole (Prilosec), lansoprazole (Prevacid), and other over the counter proton pump inhibitors over the years, I found they were not doing the trick. I had a perpetual sore throat for a few months, and finally went to the ENT who said the acid was burning my esophagus. He put me on Dexilant, which cured that after about 3 weeks. I stayed on it for a few months, the sore throat went away completely and I never had acid problems after that. This is expensive, but worth it! It is the best thing out there, and the trick to taking it is you have to take first thing in the morning, 30 mins before any food on empty stomach. If you have ANY food in your stomach, you will get diarrhea.

October 8, 2013 6:02 PM
Review by Seph74: User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: Gave me bad gas.

September 28, 2013 10:31 PM
Review by patty penguin: User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: I have GERD. Doctors have prescribed medicines that have not been effective. I have tried Nexium, Prevacid, Protonix, Prilosec, with no relief no matter the dosage. When the GERD is not under control I cannot keep anything down. I have thrown up more acid than anyone can imagine. Thanks to my doctor, who prescribed Dexilant the horrors of GERD are behind me. I have suffered no side effects. My advertisement for this medicine would be DEXILANT IS EXCELLENT.

September 12, 2013 12:44 AM
Review by RemingtonAdda (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: Dexilant is a God send! I experienced acid reflux out of the blue for the first time that was very severe. For three days straight regardless of the position I was in. My doctor gave me a sample of Dexilant and I felt better within hours, and by the end of the day my reflux subsided. I take 60mg every day, once a day and have been well. I did experience constipation for a few days, but it went away however my stool is not fully normal. The medication is more expensive then other ones on the market, but talk to your doctor and see if he will give you a months worth of samples to see how you feel before you get it prescribed. I eat lots of dairy and spicy foods and all is well.

September 9, 2013 4:28 PM
Review by Opie FLA, Dex saved me!: User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: I had excessive throat clearing after meals for ten years and seems after coffee/tea especially, did not know why? Some days worse than others thought maybe sinus draining or something. Recently I had reflux in my sleep, I had it every night for about 4 weeks straight, terrible stuff! I tried Prilosec OTC for 15 days, and nothing changed, then saw specialist and put on Dexilant. 15 days on Dexilant (1-60mg daily-15 days later I was still having the night reflux-doctor said take two Dexilant a day (morning/night dose). I did, three days later the night reflux gone. It has been a 3 weeks now, no night reflux. Some dry/throat days and light throat/day/burn, not anymore, no throat clearing, no side effects except green stool though.

August 26, 2013 11:26 PM
Review by GastroBlasticus: User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: I've had issues with GERD for a long time and have jumped between a few different medications. First I started with over the counter medications like Prilosec and worked my way along to Nexium. When that failed me Dexilant was prescribed. For GERD symptoms, Dexilant has kept things well controlled. I've been on it for almost 2 years now. However, during that time I've experienced a significant increase in gas and abdominal discomfort. Although I've uncovered lactose intolerance and a mild sensitivity to gluten, I still exhibit symptoms, so I'm starting to suspect that Dexilant may be contributing. If it turns out that reducing my intake of Dexilant is the culprit, I may have to choose between well-controlled GERD or Irritable Bowel Syndrome-like symptoms.

August 13, 2013 12:50 PM
Review by FaithieLynnn (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: Ive been taking Dexilant for 3 months. Now I have diarrhea. Besides that this is my miracle pill.

June 30, 2013 11:37 AM
Review by my3boyz (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: This is the only medication that help me. When I don't take it, I can definitely tell. I just wish it was covered by my insurance. The cost is ridiculous!

June 1, 2013 10:37 AM
Review by MEliz: User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: I take it first thing in the morning with a full glass of water. Seems to help throughout the day.

May 28, 2013 1:50 PM
Review by Dotster: User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: Started taking it about 3 weeks ago. Has done wonders for my reflux. I was waking up in the middle of the night just miserable with the burning in my esophagus and throat, and the taste of the acid. Horrible. The Dexilant has all but stopped that. Have had a couple days where I can taste the acid, but no pain. Just in the last few days, I have developed intense, burning itching on my arms, INSIDE my ears and on my scalp. No rash, just random itching. I am hoping and praying it isn't the medication, but at this point, I don't have any other ideas.

May 28, 2013 12:52 PM
Review by kdbrown9 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: Dexilant seems to work better than Prilosec for me, although my symptoms wax and wane. Some days I feel good, other days, I can tell the medicine isn't working well. Not really sure how that is possible since I take it at the same time every day! I do get horrible gas and diarrhea and always end up stopping the meds for a day or two. However, I recently read that Keifer could help with acid reflux, so I started drinking it. It prevents the horrible gas and diarrhea that the Dexilant causes. One glass a day, and I am good! Now I can take the medicine daily as described and hope that it resolves what is causing my GERD. I highly suggest the Keifer for those not tolerating the medicine otherwise.

May 21, 2013 11:36 AM
Review by must have (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: It's a miracle pill, nothing helped my burning ulcer, nausea and upset stomach like this pill. 60mg, once in morning, time released..only relief I've had in months. I've lost 12 pounds since December , no more upset stomach, no vomiting..It's amazing . I have not experienced any side effects...I am able to eat n feel normal for once!!! I highly recommend!!!! Get tha savings card, the script will cost $20 for 30 days supply. I feel normal for once !!!

May 12, 2013 12:23 AM
Review by Chris ny: User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: After reading several of these posts I decided to leave mine. I have severe GERD. My doctor after prescribing several different medicines gave me samples of Dexilant. Ever since then my life has changed for the better. At first I was taking 30mg twice a day then I went to 60mg once daily. Never had I been prescribed more than 60mg total daily. I have read that others were taking way more and more frequently. I think they might want to get a second opinion on dosages. I was on Dexilant for several yrs with NEVER having any side effects. I recently had corrective surgery and hope to never be on meds again for this condition. I would absolutely recommend Dexilant to anyone in need of this kind of medication.

May 8, 2013 11:15 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: My Dr. prescribed this after 80mg of Nexium stopped working but after a week of Dexilant, I'm stopping it because of the awful flatulence and abdominal pain starting about 12 hrs after taking it. So glad to get validation here that others have had similar problems since the patient info says this only happens for a small amount of users.

November 7, 2012 10:16 AM
Review by barb369 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for Erosive Esophagitis: For 10 years, I have had heartburn which I was self-treating with anything I could find (not good). Five years ago, I saw a Doctor and was prescribed every medicine on the market. The latest was Prilosec, which I have been taking for 2 years and was helping but the past year the dosages kept going up and the medicine no longer worked. I was literally drinking massive amounts of Maalox each day. The chest pains, coughing, hoarseness and heartburn is not bad that I can't stand it. I will be having reflux surgery on November 15th but my GI Doctor prescribed Dexilant and told me to give it a try. Dexilant is the miracle I was waiting for. It produced a bronchial cough but I was willing to put up with that. I still need surgery but highly recommend Dexilant.

October 24, 2012 9:45 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: I loved taking Dexilant. It stopped my heartburn and acid reflux immediately. After about a year I think I linked it to chronic chest pain symbolic of a heart attack. This medication worked for my irritable bowel syndrome too, I was not constantly in the bathroom and began feeling normal again. Unfortunately my Dr changed my medicines to see if my chest and side pain would go away. Now its just a waiting process again. When switching meds I also noticed my acid reflux came back worse then before though. I have mixed feelings but for acid reflux and irritable bowel syndrome I believe its a miracle but if my pains are related to Dexilant I would have to drop my rating some.

September 25, 2012 1:25 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: I have been on Dexilant for 5 weeks now for severe GERD and Reflux. I have tried many, many other medications. The only one that came close to working was Nexium, but the side effects were horrible and numerous. I had to stop taking it after 6 weeks. So far, I have taken Dexilant without much incident - and it is WORKING! I have significant relief of my symptoms and the only side effect I've noticed is a metallic taste in my mouth at times. To me, this is very minor and worth the trade off. Well worth the money so far. I'm so happy my Dr. prescribed Dexilant for me!

August 26, 2012 5:28 PM

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: First day to take it, I realized I was not going to die. My chest had been hurting so bad and I had lost 40 pounds from not being able to eat. I had to have my gallbladder removed (which causes diarrhea) about a week before I was prescribed Dexilant, so if it does give me diarrhea, I wouldn't notice. So far, no side effects.

August 24, 2012 12:07 AM