User Reviews for Remeron

Learn more about Remeron.

Depression 76 reviews 75 medications

7.4
Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Remeron reviews 76 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Remeron

Review by freespirit-j (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: Remeron helped very much initially. After trying a host of other depression meds, this one seemed to work and had minimal side effects after the first week. However, at a low dose it stopped doing the job and have had to go up twice to the max dose of 45 mg. I no longer sleep well, and have had HUGE weight gain and ended up with diabetes. I plan to gradually wean myself off and treat the depression with natural means--exercise, diet, supplements.

November 3, 2012 9:33 PM
Review by lolander (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Anxiety: Improved the physical and mental symptoms I had with anxiety/depression but in a reduced dose. More than 10 mg would keep me too drowsy and make me forgetful. I have been on it for 19 years and have tried to get off it several times but my physical symptoms (stomach cramping) return after a few days. The generic form was far less effective. Does cause constipation with me.

October 19, 2012 9:33 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: I have been on Remeron for 3 years now and it's the best antidepressant I've ever been on. I have tried Prozac, Celexa, Wellbutrin, and Effexor. Remeron is the only one that made me happy to be alive. I did gain about 3 pounds but then was feeling so good I decided to become a vegan and improve my physical health, which before I could have cared less about. So now I've lost the pounds. Plus, a few pounds is definitely worth the improvement in mood and sleep. I have found it's really important how much I take and at what time. I did get restless leg syndrome which made it hard to sleep so I tried breaking up my 30 mg pill and taking 1/2 at 7:30 and 1/2 at 9:00 pm. That wasn't helping my mood/For best results, I take 30 mg at 6:00 pm and go to bed at 9:00.

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 19, 2012 7:42 PM
Review by sleepster (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Insomnia: Before taking Remeron I was on other strong medicines. The first night I slept better than in years. I feel like I could keep sleeping in the morning but am able to get up and feel refreshed. This medicine seems to be the thing I have needed where others have failed me miserably. The medicine takes effect fast and has little side effects so far. I hope others have the sames success I have had with Remeron.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 30, 2012 7:51 PM
Review by PeggyF. (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Anxiety: For many years I've have been juggling medicines from Lexapro, Xanax, Zoloft, along with Lunesta for sleep. Had anxiety along with depression, couldn't sleep and was losing weight. 3 weeks ago my doctor prescribed Remeron to me and within a week I was like a new person. Depression and anxiety lessen and my sleep is great. This has been a miracle for me. Yes I am gaining weight but I needed to. My quality of life is so much better.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 15, 2012 6:02 PM
Review by rodlang (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Insomnia: Most of us that have anxiety also have difficulty sleeping. They go together. I've tried a variety of antidepressants and nothing gets you to sleep like Remeron. It was so nice to get 8 hours of sleep at night. One sort of odd thing about Remeron is that the lower dosages (7.5 mg) makes you sleep more than the higher dosages. Anyway, my doctor now has me on Celexa and I'm back to having trouble with sleep. You will get the munchies with Remeron.

August 13, 2012 10:40 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: Great, SSRI's do next to nothing for me but this has helped a TON. I tried Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac, etc and they did very little for me but the week I started on Remeron 30mg I felt so much better, almost like myself again.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 2, 2012 3:49 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine): Remeron got rid of my depression, and my anxiety was a lot better. I also was able to get to sleep a lot easier. I did notice some weight gain though, but not a lot.

August 2, 2012 1:04 PM
Review by stavstav (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: Only been on this for 3 days but don't think I can take this medicine anymore. Important note this was added to 50mg Zoloft. I have really bad depression and anxiety and fatigue in the mornings. First night I took Remeron hadn't slept in 20 hours, hadn't eaten for 8 hours, thought it would help me sleep. Wrong, couldn't lie still and massive erection for 2 hours, finally got up after 4 hrs tossing and turning ate something then was able to sleep. 2nd night I took with dinner had tacos I ate like 7 tacos, couldn't stop. Went to sleep 45 mins later even though I was not tired at all, woke up 12 hours later. Incredibly hard to get out of bed felt like I was hit by a train all day.

July 26, 2012 6:20 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Anxiety: I've been on this medicine for about 2 years now. I started out on it for anxiety/depression at 15mg. It worked great for a while. My depression is gone but my anxiety still has its times where it is bad and uncontrollable. After about a year my dose was increased to 30mg for anxiety. It worked great again this time for a couple of months, but it still creeped back. After awhile I was seeing a new psychiatrist and she tried putting me on Fluvoximine to try getting me off of Remeron. I liked the feeling of the new medicine but I felt nausea and upset stomach for about a week and a half. So she put me back on Remeron 30mg but I only took 15mg and I felt better than before when I was on 30mg. In all, this medicine has worked great for me.

July 24, 2012 9:46 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Anxiety: I was drinking heavy to combat anxiety for years. Remeron sorted me out. Still drank now and again but in general felt good about myself. I've tried lots of anti-anxiety medicines and this one is the best. Weight gain but makes me happy so a small price to pay. One last thing when on this I would look in the mirror and feel good about myself for the first time in years. Good medicine.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 12, 2012 6:45 AM
Review by feelingbetterinMI (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Anxiety: This has been a lifesaver for me for anxiety and insomnia. I was on Zoloft 75mg for the last 5 months and it was of little benefit. I've only been on 7.5 mg of Remeron for 7 days but the results have been great, (still also on 75mg of Zoloft). Remeron gives me a good 8-9 hours of sleep every day, a strong appetite (I lost 25 pounds in 5 months when I began to have these problems). My energy level is returning to normal. 90% of my anxiety is gone. It is nothing short of a miracle. Yes, I feel a bit groggy & dopey for an hour or two after I wake up but that is a small price to pay for me getting my life back.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 30, 2012 3:10 PM
Review by Arcticflowergirl (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Insomnia: I have taken Remeron for 3.5 years. I was experiencing a family crisis, was anxious, depressed and could not sleep. I have taken every antidepressant on the market. They might work for a year then nothing. You MUST go on Remeron slowly. 1/4 of the dissolving tablet for a week, then 1/2 for a week or 2. I was told never, never to start with a whole dose or to quit cold turkey. TITRATE is the key. I get real food cravings late at night. But, I don't eat. Remeron is the best antidepressant I have ever taken.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 16, 2012 7:48 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Anxiety: Was on Remeron for 3 months. It worked at first as I noticed anxiety lessening, but after three months it has lost it's efficacy. My anxiety skyrocketed, and Remeron has done nothing for it. Thank goodness I didn't have any side effects from the Remeron, aside from increased appetite. I think Remeron should be used for depression and not anxiety, so if anxiety is your major issue I'd go with an SSRI.

May 24, 2012 8:00 PM
Review by TLC0902 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: About 2 years ago, I was prescribed Remeron. I immediately got my appetite back. But then unfortunately about a week later my legs, ankles, feet, hands, and wrists were terribly swollen. So much that it hurt to walk. The doctor told me to stop taking it and the swelling went away.

May 23, 2012 11:44 PM
Review by Just do it: User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Insomnia: I am writing to say DO NOT judge by the experience of others - try it yourself. In my case, after twenty years of stumbling daily through a heavy fog, unable to concentrate, loss of memory, no motivation. Remeron gave me 8 hours of sleep a night, week after week, until I became a new person simply because my body was getting rest. I made sure only healthy, healthy food was available in my house and did not have any weight gain at all. For some people this will provide a miraculous turn around - try it like I did - two weeks will give you a good test, no need for six weeks like other drugs. Start on low dose, don't take it until bedtime, no matter what the doctor says. Good luck, hope it helps you too.

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 26, 2012 8:21 AM
Review by -C: User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Anxiety: After 10 years on SSRIs, my doctor switched me to Remeron. It works well for me for anxiety and depression. It does give me ridiculous levels of restless leg syndrome about an hour after I take it, but that's really the only bad side effect. It does not kill libido or cause delayed orgasm like Lexapro did for me. I think it's a good medicine and surprised that it isn't more of a first line medication. It does make you want to eat everything in sight, so you have to have willpower to control that urge but I am able to keep that in check.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 22, 2012 9:28 PM
Review by haley4540: User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: I have it all...anxiety, depression and insomnia. Sometimes I can be anxious in the morning, depressed in the afternoon. Have tried Wellbutrin/Cymbalta combination, Pristiq, Viibryd, Effexor, and every SSRI. I definitely felt an improvement with Cymbalta/Wellbutin and Pristiq, but not 100% myself. Remeron has been a God send to me. It works fast; dare I say I am in a good mood again after only three days. I was a bit tired in the morning, but I will gladly take some fatigue to rid of the anxiety and depression, and I hear this goes away in time. As far as the weight gain, I have always been a good eater and go to the gym, so if my appetite increases (it hasn't as of yet) I will just have to monitor it. So far, it's been great.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 18, 2012 5:40 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: I've been on Remeron for nearly two weeks now and I can feel my mood elevating and depression decreasing already. Also, I'm now getting full nights of sleep, which is also an amazing feeling. The only downsides I've seen so far are some grogginess in the morning (though that has been less and less noticeable) and ravenous hunger (this has not gotten less). Luckily, because now I'm starting to actually want to leave the house and do stuff, I've been able to work out pretty consistently this past week and hopefully that will counteract the effects of me eating the weight of a horse every day. I've tried more antidepressants than I can count on one hand, and this is the first time in a long time I've started to feel better.

April 15, 2012 4:38 PM
Review by Jag man: User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: I have been on mirtazapine for about 6 years. Tried Effexor before and found it so stimulating I couldn't sleep, felt like I was high, switched to mirtazapine instead had proper nights sleep. Mirtazapine is great for sleep, not to bad on anxiety.

April 10, 2012 1:45 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: I've been on every antidepressant out there. I finally found what works! It is also very mild, which is a wonderful change from all of the other heavier medications I have been on. I too experienced much needed weight gain.

April 6, 2012 10:23 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Insomnia: I have been taking Remeron for about 3 years now and only recently are the side effects bothering me. I started taking it to counterbalance my ADHD medication so I could sleep at night. However I stopped taking my ADHD medicines and I have noticed weight gain. I'm assuming its a bit of both medicines though. Also, the drowsiness is becoming a big issue as I am sleeping through my 9am classes and I have a hard time getting awake for a long period of time. I do however love that I can sleep through the night and fall asleep fast, which has always been an issue for me. I also love the vivid dreams!

March 28, 2012 10:45 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Insomnia: Well, it works. Prescribed 7.5mg prior to bedtime and it will take you down---initially. Found it wasn't effective at that dose beyond a week or so and reminded me of trazodone or doxepin. Those who know are familiar with the overly sedated feeling and NOTHING like a natural, drowsy sleep onset. Fairly cheap, made me gain weight due to increased appetite.

March 5, 2012 4:05 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: My doctor had me try this after several other current anti-depressants failed. It gave me bad nightmares every night for the three weeks I tried it. The last night I took it, my dog (who sleeps with me) was frantically licking my face to wake me out of my nightmare. That was enough. I then went to an old medicine, imipramine, that has proved effective in controlling my depression and anxiety.

February 21, 2012 11:19 PM

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: I have been on Remeron a little over 3 months for depression and anxiety. It has changed my life after years of insomnia and depressio. I think I finally found what works for me. The first couple of weeks are rough though, I felt tired all the time especially the first day I slept 21 hours! It gets better after about 3 weeks. I am depression free and I sleep a whole lot better than I used to. If you are afraid of the side effects don't worry they will diminish after about a couple of weeks ..just stick it out it's well worth it. I have taken almost every anti-depressant in the books and Remeron is the only one that has worked for me. I think you should give it a try it works for a lot of people!

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 21, 2012 12:28 AM