User Reviews for Remeron

Learn more about Remeron.

Major Depressive Disorder 4 reviews 44 medications

Depression 79 reviews 75 medications

7.3
Summary of Remeron reviews 83 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Remeron

Review by Gorillafuzz:

For Depression: I'm a 43 year old woman and I've been on 30mg Remeron for over 10 years now, it was prescribed for major depression and generalized anxiety disorder. I was NOT sleeping at all, when I first started taking it I was a walking zombi for about 2-3 months (got some much needed sleep) however after that it's like someone opened a window in a dark room. I was feeling 80% normal (prior to taking it I was in the negative) I'll take 80% any day. You should take it an hour or so before bed time because it has a huge sedative effect and take care in the beginning because its potent to begin with. It takes time for it to start really working so don't be put off by the zombi state, it does go away.

150 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 19, 2013 1:52 PM

Review by samahine (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I have been on Remeron for 3.5 years. I started out on 15 mg and now currently on 30mg. I have tried every sleep medication available. This is by far the best medication I have ever been on for sleep. Yes I get the ravenous hunger and it takes about 2 hours to make me sleepy. An hour after I take it is when the hunger kicks in and I eat for the entire day before bed. I have gained about 30 lbs over the time being on it, but it has now tapered off, I hope! However, for me, sleep is so important, so it's a matter of what's more important, the perfect body or being so tired and depressed due to lack of sleep. If you start watching what you eat prior to bed, which I do now and wish I knew or realized this early on, you can help keep the weight.

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2013 7:56 PM

Review by Kimi B.:

For Depression: I have ADHD, OCD, and depression. The moment I took this medication my intrusive thoughts from OCD went away. I am no longer depressed, even when life should be getting me down. Everything seems bearable. I just feel like things are okay, I can make it. I've never felt like this before, really. Most of the time I get overwhelmed with life but I think this medication has pulled me out of the dark hole I was in before. It does make me very hungry and sleepy, I take it in the evenings. It's hard to get up in the morning but coffee fixes that for me. I don't recommend this to someone who can not control their eating habits and gains weight easily.

160 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2013 9:11 AM

Review by ralphs123 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I started at Remeron 15mg per day. I started to feel somewhat better at two weeks. Went to 30mg at that point. At 30mg for one week or so, felt appreciably better. I've gained a few pounds (about 4) so that's not too bad. Did not help with sleep. Plagued by insomnia for 3-4 days after starting and/or changing dose. A bit of muddied thinking for a few days after changing dosage. I have severe MDD. I think Remeron will really help. Off to a good start. I especially appreciate the lack of sexual side effects.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 24, 2012 2:31 PM

Review by mquincy89 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: Mirtazapine has helped me on more than one occasion. I've cycled through the gamut of antidepressants including but not limited to: Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, etc., but nothing really worked until Remeron. Thought I was okay to stop all medicines a year ago and did fine for awhile but now feeling awful again; depressed and underweight. Renewed my script today and taking my first dose of R.E.M.eron tonight. Bring on the munchies! I just love a donut.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2012 12:15 AM

For Depression: Took Remeron/mirtazapine few years ago for about one week & gained about 15 (unwanted pounds). I just ate and slept so I stopped after a week! Was taking it first thing in the morning at the time but this doc said take at night. I need the appetite stimulation now so I'm prescribed it again. Don't know if I could handle the ravenous, uncontrollable appetite it gives though and don't remember the effect on my depression as I was too consumed with eating.

December 16, 2012 1:36 PM

Review by Medical Tech (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was having a very hard time with the anxiety of thinking something was wrong with my heart (which turned out to be nothing), when I was put on Remeron. I had virtually stopped eating, and just felt very anxious and not myself. It helped a good bit with the anxiety, but it turbo charged my appetite. Would not recommend this to anyone who is overweight, but it's great for anxiety sufferers who lose their appetite when they get anxious. It does make you very sleepy the first week or so you take it, so I would take it before bed. I didn't notice any sexual side effects though, which was another big selling point. The sedation seems stronger at lower doses, and I had some bizarre dreams at lower doses as well.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2012 2:28 AM

Review by glad I'm off (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: Remeron worked for me for maybe a month or so, but I then began becoming very angry and full of rage for very little reason, if any! I had expressed my feelings with my Dr. and he said he was not really familiar with these side effects. After a few weeks, I realized I should google these feelings and wow. Exactly the same feelings I was going through.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2012 10:56 AM

Review by freespirit-j (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: Remeron helped very much initially. After trying a host of other depression meds, this one seemed to work and had minimal side effects after the first week. However, at a low dose it stopped doing the job and have had to go up twice to the max dose of 45 mg. I no longer sleep well, and have had HUGE weight gain and ended up with diabetes. I plan to gradually wean myself off and treat the depression with natural means--exercise, diet, supplements.

November 3, 2012 9:33 PM

Review by lolander (taken for 10 years or more):

For Anxiety: Improved the physical and mental symptoms I had with anxiety/depression but in a reduced dose. More than 10 mg would keep me too drowsy and make me forgetful. I have been on it for 19 years and have tried to get off it several times but my physical symptoms (stomach cramping) return after a few days. The generic form was far less effective. Does cause constipation with me.

October 19, 2012 9:33 PM

For Depression: I have been on Remeron for 3 years now and it's the best antidepressant I've ever been on. I have tried Prozac, Celexa, Wellbutrin, and Effexor. Remeron is the only one that made me happy to be alive. I did gain about 3 pounds but then was feeling so good I decided to become a vegan and improve my physical health, which before I could have cared less about. So now I've lost the pounds. Plus, a few pounds is definitely worth the improvement in mood and sleep. I have found it's really important how much I take and at what time. I did get restless leg syndrome which made it hard to sleep so I tried breaking up my 30 mg pill and taking 1/2 at 7:30 and 1/2 at 9:00 pm. That wasn't helping my mood/For best results, I take 30 mg at 6:00 pm and go to bed at 9:00.

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2012 7:42 PM

Review by sleepster (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: Before taking Remeron I was on other strong medicines. The first night I slept better than in years. I feel like I could keep sleeping in the morning but am able to get up and feel refreshed. This medicine seems to be the thing I have needed where others have failed me miserably. The medicine takes effect fast and has little side effects so far. I hope others have the sames success I have had with Remeron.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 30, 2012 7:51 PM

Review by PeggyF. (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: For many years I've have been juggling medicines from Lexapro, Xanax, Zoloft, along with Lunesta for sleep. Had anxiety along with depression, couldn't sleep and was losing weight. 3 weeks ago my doctor prescribed Remeron to me and within a week I was like a new person. Depression and anxiety lessen and my sleep is great. This has been a miracle for me. Yes I am gaining weight but I needed to. My quality of life is so much better.

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 15, 2012 6:02 PM

Review by rodlang (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Insomnia: Most of us that have anxiety also have difficulty sleeping. They go together. I've tried a variety of antidepressants and nothing gets you to sleep like Remeron. It was so nice to get 8 hours of sleep at night. One sort of odd thing about Remeron is that the lower dosages (7.5 mg) makes you sleep more than the higher dosages. Anyway, my doctor now has me on Celexa and I'm back to having trouble with sleep. You will get the munchies with Remeron.

August 13, 2012 10:40 AM

For Depression: Great, SSRI's do next to nothing for me but this has helped a TON. I tried Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac, etc and they did very little for me but the week I started on Remeron 30mg I felt so much better, almost like myself again.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2012 3:49 PM

Remeron got rid of my depression, and my anxiety was a lot better. I also was able to get to sleep a lot easier. I did notice some weight gain though, but not a lot.

August 2, 2012 1:04 PM

Review by stavstav (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Only been on this for 3 days but don't think I can take this medicine anymore. Important note this was added to 50mg Zoloft. I have really bad depression and anxiety and fatigue in the mornings. First night I took Remeron hadn't slept in 20 hours, hadn't eaten for 8 hours, thought it would help me sleep. Wrong, couldn't lie still and massive erection for 2 hours, finally got up after 4 hrs tossing and turning ate something then was able to sleep. 2nd night I took with dinner had tacos I ate like 7 tacos, couldn't stop. Went to sleep 45 mins later even though I was not tired at all, woke up 12 hours later. Incredibly hard to get out of bed felt like I was hit by a train all day.

July 26, 2012 6:20 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: I've been on this medicine for about 2 years now. I started out on it for anxiety/depression at 15mg. It worked great for a while. My depression is gone but my anxiety still has its times where it is bad and uncontrollable. After about a year my dose was increased to 30mg for anxiety. It worked great again this time for a couple of months, but it still creeped back. After awhile I was seeing a new psychiatrist and she tried putting me on Fluvoximine to try getting me off of Remeron. I liked the feeling of the new medicine but I felt nausea and upset stomach for about a week and a half. So she put me back on Remeron 30mg but I only took 15mg and I felt better than before when I was on 30mg. In all, this medicine has worked great for me.

July 24, 2012 9:46 AM

For Anxiety: I was drinking heavy to combat anxiety for years. Remeron sorted me out. Still drank now and again but in general felt good about myself. I've tried lots of anti-anxiety medicines and this one is the best. Weight gain but makes me happy so a small price to pay. One last thing when on this I would look in the mirror and feel good about myself for the first time in years. Good medicine.

July 12, 2012 6:45 AM

Review by feelingbetterinMI (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: This has been a lifesaver for me for anxiety and insomnia. I was on Zoloft 75mg for the last 5 months and it was of little benefit. I've only been on 7.5 mg of Remeron for 7 days but the results have been great, (still also on 75mg of Zoloft). Remeron gives me a good 8-9 hours of sleep every day, a strong appetite (I lost 25 pounds in 5 months when I began to have these problems). My energy level is returning to normal. 90% of my anxiety is gone. It is nothing short of a miracle. Yes, I feel a bit groggy & dopey for an hour or two after I wake up but that is a small price to pay for me getting my life back.

June 30, 2012 3:10 PM

Review by Arcticflowergirl (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I have taken Remeron for 3.5 years. I was experiencing a family crisis, was anxious, depressed and could not sleep. I have taken every antidepressant on the market. They might work for a year then nothing. You MUST go on Remeron slowly. 1/4 of the dissolving tablet for a week, then 1/2 for a week or 2. I was told never, never to start with a whole dose or to quit cold turkey. TITRATE is the key. I get real food cravings late at night. But, I don't eat. Remeron is the best antidepressant I have ever taken.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2012 7:48 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Was on Remeron for 3 months. It worked at first as I noticed anxiety lessening, but after three months it has lost it's efficacy. My anxiety skyrocketed, and Remeron has done nothing for it. Thank goodness I didn't have any side effects from the Remeron, aside from increased appetite. I think Remeron should be used for depression and not anxiety, so if anxiety is your major issue I'd go with an SSRI.

May 24, 2012 8:00 PM

Review by TLC0902 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: About 2 years ago, I was prescribed Remeron. I immediately got my appetite back. But then unfortunately about a week later my legs, ankles, feet, hands, and wrists were terribly swollen. So much that it hurt to walk. The doctor told me to stop taking it and the swelling went away.

May 23, 2012 11:44 PM

Review by Just do it:

For Insomnia: I am writing to say DO NOT judge by the experience of others - try it yourself. In my case, after twenty years of stumbling daily through a heavy fog, unable to concentrate, loss of memory, no motivation. Remeron gave me 8 hours of sleep a night, week after week, until I became a new person simply because my body was getting rest. I made sure only healthy, healthy food was available in my house and did not have any weight gain at all. For some people this will provide a miraculous turn around - try it like I did - two weeks will give you a good test, no need for six weeks like other drugs. Start on low dose, don't take it until bedtime, no matter what the doctor says. Good luck, hope it helps you too.

167 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2012 8:21 AM

Review by -C:

For Anxiety: After 10 years on SSRIs, my doctor switched me to Remeron. It works well for me for anxiety and depression. It does give me ridiculous levels of restless leg syndrome about an hour after I take it, but that's really the only bad side effect. It does not kill libido or cause delayed orgasm like Lexapro did for me. I think it's a good medicine and surprised that it isn't more of a first line medication. It does make you want to eat everything in sight, so you have to have willpower to control that urge but I am able to keep that in check.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2012 9:28 PM