Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Remeron

Learn more about Remeron.

Depression 81 reviews 75 medications

7.4
Major Depressive Disorder 5 reviews 44 medications

Summary of Remeron reviews 86 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Remeron

For Insomnia: Helped with my insomnia but slept too long. Went to sleep at 11pm and slept till 5pm the next day. I did not take a dose the next night and still woke up groggy.

September 11, 2011 5:56 PM

Review by joe324234:

For Anxiety: My doctor put me on Remeron trying to ween me off of Xanax and it was a horrible alternative. It gave me one of the worst panic attacks I've ever had. Once I eventually fell asleep, waking up the next morning was quite difficult as it felt like I was hit with a train.

September 1, 2011 11:48 AM

For Insomnia: I suffered from insomnia for over 10 years. I tried everything under the sun from behavioral modification to herbal supplements to prescription drugs. I started 7.5 mg of Remeron and 7.5 mg of Restoril 5 months ago and I have never slept better. I am so thankful to have found these medications. The first few days I was a bit dizzy and disoriented. And, yes, I have the 10 lb weight gain but that is slowly coming off with proper diet and exercise. This medication literally saved my life.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2011 1:41 PM

Review by InsaneinSTL:

For Depression: I recently started Remeron after trying Buspar for anxiety/depression and insomnia. I have a dysfunctional family like many others but they are the root of the issues that I started having. Buspar was a waste of time for the most part, helped with anxiety some but pushed the depression on. I now take 30 mg at night as well as 0.25mg of Klonopin. I am sleeping better but as many have said, very hard to get out of bed. It has been only 4 days and I will stick with it as I am not happy, but also starting to feel less depressed, maybe because I am sleeping better.

July 17, 2011 2:36 PM

Review by serenity0322:

For Depression: I have been on every SSRI out there and they do nothing for me. I was on Remeron about 5 years ago and noticed a significant lift in my depression and felt as I did before I suffered from depression. It also allowed me to get the sleep I struggle so hard to get every night. After a layoff with no insurance I came off Remeron. I recently have suffered from major depressive disorder and was put on what was supposed to be the best of the best Lexapro. After a year I still saw no difference except for the lack of sex and asked my psychiatrist to switch me to Remeron. He was surprised but did so with no objection and I'm currently tapering off the Lexapro and only two weeks into it I am beginning to feel much better already.

July 13, 2011 11:39 AM

Review by the goofy one:

For Anxiety: I've been taking this for anxiety, depression and insomnia. I've only been on this for a few days now, so all I can notice is I am sleeping better. All of the reviews I have read help me understand a lot more about the medicine. Thank you all for that. The main thing I hope it helps with is my anxiety. I will post a review later on when its in my system and hopefully doing what it is intended to do. Again thank you all for your input. It has been very helpful.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2011 2:06 PM

For Depression: I have been on Remeron for about 2 months. It has helped a little with my depression, which is good but I am getting too many side effects. After reading all the comments I will be calling my doctor in the morning. I used to get a good nights sleep but since on Remeron I don't sleep. I am gaining weight and also having a lot of hot flashes. I don't know if it is related to this medication but since on Remeron my restless leg syndrome is back.

July 8, 2011 1:23 AM

Review by susanbcork:

For Anxiety: I just started this medicine two weeks ago. I'm 5'5" and 99 lbs. I was suffering also from extreme anxiety. I've used one to two mgs of Xanax to sleep for years. The sleep doctor I see decided to add Remeron to the Xanax and I'm so pleased with the results in so far as anxiety and especially my appetite. I've gained 5 lbs in the first two weeks and would like to get back to about 118lbs or so.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 7, 2011 6:28 PM

This medication worked great as far as my mental state. It actually worked, which is something that no other medicine had done for me. On the downside, I began to swell or retain fluids extremely bad. I was several months into taking the medicine before the swelling was noticeable, therefore I didn't suspect that it was this medication. I got to the point where I couldn't twist the lid off a bottle or hardly bear the weight of standing on my feet. The swelling was intermittent with the worst cases being in the morning after waking up. Some days it was extremely bad and others it was mild. After 4 doctors assessed me and found nothing, I checked for side effects of Remeron. Swelling of hands and feet is listed.

June 11, 2011 3:34 PM

For Depression: I had taken Effexor XR for a year or so and wanted to see if there might be something else out there that may work better. My doctor suggested Remeron. Unfortunately I had a severe reaction on 2 separate occasions (6 months apart) after my first dose. I had trouble falling asleep then could not get out of bed the whole day. I also had very severe mood swings, to the extent of screaming at my small children when they asked a question too many times. I had terrible rage.

June 10, 2011 11:00 PM

For Anxiety: It is the only medicine that helps me sleep on time and for 7 to 8 hours.

May 3, 2011 9:11 PM

Review by Matt T.:

For Hot Flashes: Causes intense sweating

April 27, 2011 11:35 PM

Review by Getting help!:

For Depression: This medicine is helping me - I feel better in general. I have taken it for 2 weeks and gained 10lbs. All I think about is my next meal and then snacks. It is crazy, I can't help but eat, eat, eat. I have called my doctor to see about switching me to something else. I can't continue gaining weight like this. I may have to find some diet pills to off-set the cravings. If you are depressed and underweight this is the pill for you.

April 21, 2011 3:09 PM

For Depression: I started taking this medication 4 days ago, I was given a prescription for 1 30mg tablet to be taken at night. I am sensitive to medication so the first night I only took 1/2 of a tablet (15mg), I couldn't sleep at all. I was up all night. Finally slept about 2 hours early in the morning. On the flip side, I felt GREAT all day. So that night I took the same dosage. Slept well, and no grogginess. The next day, I took the whole tablet (30mg), and slept from 10pm until 8pm the next day!!! I could NOT get up. My husband was worried so he finally got me up and into the shower. I was okay after that. I took 1/2 tablet (15mg) and went back to bed that night around 2am. Felt fine in the morning. Proper dosage is the key with this medication!

April 4, 2011 10:22 AM

For Insomnia: Remeron worked great for my insomnia and also eliminated anxiety better than any other medicine I have tried. HOWEVER, it made me hungry constantly. The resulting weight gain resulted in diabetes and high blood pressure and exacerbated my sleep apnea. I had to stop taking it because of these adverse effects. Unfortunately, I've not found an acceptable alternative.

March 23, 2011 9:09 AM

For Insomnia: I've been taking 30mg of mirtazipine for over two years with excellent success and regular 8-hour sleep periods that leave me feeling refreshed and well rested.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2011 4:23 PM

For Depression: Remeron was amazing for my depression. I felt amazing. I had so much energy, I was sleeping, I was happy, and I felt great. Until I noticed the weight gain. I gained 25 pounds in 4 months. I just couldn't control my eating. I am so upset that I had to stop taking it. I'm back to trying to find a medicine that will help me.

March 12, 2011 8:25 AM

For Depression: Remeron is a unique medicine, since its side effects are sometimes as useful as its antidepressant effects. This medicine literally saved my life. For many years, I was around 90 pounds, and never slept. Now, I'm a healthy 120 and I sleep about 8 or 9 hours per night. It did take a long time to get to this point. When I first started taking it, I was tired all the time and very worried about the ravenous hunger! But now that I've been on it 2 years, I no longer gain weight, I'm no longer tearful and miserable, and I've honestly never been happier. God bless the people who made this drug. It literally saved my life.

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2011 8:07 PM

Please give this medication at least two weeks to work!! I have had severe panic attacks for a number of years. I am on day 10 of taking 30mg each night and I have finally been able to get out and do the things that had caused instant panic in the past. The first week was hard. I wanted to sleep and eat constantly. After about day 7 I woke and felt great. My mood was good and I have not had a panic attack in a few days now. It is a hard medicine to get used to, but please give it time. It may work as well for you as it has for me.

January 31, 2011 11:32 AM

Review by miclangelo710:

For Depression: I've been taking Remeron for about five months. I was prescribed this medicine to help me fall asleep and I've found that it does work. I haven't had any side effects from it. I also take Effexor XR for depression.

January 26, 2011 1:02 PM

For Insomnia: Remeron helps me to go to sleep when I get ready. I still wake up at night but fall right back to sleep. I haven't noticed any abnormal weight gain or urges to eat more at night.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2011 10:59 PM

Review by marjorie zych:

For Depression: Remeron has helped me in a great deal. It has helped me sleep which was non-existent for such a long time and I can finally function during the day. Whoever created Remeron needs to be congratulated because nothing and I tried almost everything imaginable to sleep, has made me be able to get some rest. My physical health has benefited from the rest a great deal. The only side effect I have gotten is hunger at night when I take it but it is a very small price to pay that can be fought off. I have not gained any weight but I do get hungry easily though. I am on 45mg and it is wonderful, I can sleep and then get up and actually want to do things. I am on it with Cymbalta which helps with my Fibromyalgia. I highly recommend it.

January 4, 2011 4:44 PM

Review by giaisabella:

For Depression: I started to take Remeron 2 months ago. I've been taking Cymbalta for 3 years and now with Remeron I feel fantastic. I mean, I've gained weight...I used to be really thin, none of my clothes fit me now but I guess to me it is a little price to pay for feeling like I do now (I've been dealing with severe depression for over 10 years). Cymbalta did good to me and now that I'm taking both I feel like I can take over the world.

November 5, 2010 11:04 AM

For Insomnia: Remeron is great for insomnia, start with very small doses and work up. I use the dissolving tablets, easier to break up. Immediately stopped my anxiety. Drawbacks are increased appetite and after prolonged periods of consumption it can affect your blood pressure regulation, mostly noticeable when you stand up fast. Excellent for stopping the racing thoughts. It can be difficult waking up in the beginning but this gets better with time. It also suppressed my sex drive. All in all excellent for those who have tried everything, gotten hooked, suffered withdrawals from the "pines" and need something for sleep.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2010 9:39 PM

Review by maryteddybear:

For Depression: Have been taking Remeron for a few weeks now. Sleeping a lot better but isn't really doing much for anxiety. Sort of making it a little worse. First time I have ever taken it so maybe it will take a little longer but so far so good.

October 21, 2010 1:30 PM