User Reviews for Remeron

Learn more about Remeron.

Depression 88 reviews 76 medications

7.4
Major Depressive Disorder 8 reviews 46 medications

6.5
Summary of Remeron reviews 96 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Remeron

For Depression "I started this medicine 7 days ago. I have anxiety and depression. I taken Prozac for almost 11 years and I really couldn't tell any difference this past year. So now I'm trying different medicines that might help me. So I have tried Celexa, Effexor and now Remeron. The first day was okay I felt really relaxed and hungry. Then after the 2nd day I started feeling really weird like my heart is jumping in my body moves with it also my dreams are very weird they are about me dreaming. It really scared me, so I quit taking it. "

beccabb December 25, 2011

For Insomnia "I have been taking Remeron for about two months now and it doesn't help me go to sleep but it does help me stay asleep. I have to literally force myself to get up in the morning. It does make me eat more though and that is the only side effect that I have noticed so far but overall its been working great."

Anonymous December 19, 2011

For Depression "The extreme sleepiness and lack of efficacy ceased like a light switch - suddenly, after a couple of weeks of sleepy torture that didn't help at all, it WORKED for my depression and the sleepiness was GONE. I woke up one morning to find I could breath without the feeling of having my lungs filled with tar (one symptom of my depression). I stayed on it for 2 years, and it alleviated my depression continuously while allowing me to feel like "myself." However, it did make me hungry and I gained about 15 lbs. Worth it. When life improved, I tapered off, and have been fine ever since. If you try it, give it a chance. My doctor said 60% of his patients report a "light switch" experience with it."

kargiver December 6, 2011

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "For two years, I have had chronic nausea that starts about an hour after waking up and lasts through mid afternoon. It is so bad I usually have to skip lunch. For various reasons, I believed it was anxiety-related, and after some research, asked my doctor if I could try mirtazapine due to its anti-anxiety, antiemetic, and appetite-stimulating properties. I could not be happier! The nausea was better the first day after taking it, and within two or three days was totally gone. I finally have my appetite back, too. I don't know that I'd recommend this medicine to people who are overweight, but for those who can afford or even want to gain weight it can be a lifesaver!"

Anonymous November 23, 2011

For Insomnia "I love the Remeron."

Anonymous November 15, 2011

For Depression "I was given Remeron for depression, although my diagnosis remains mood disorder, I was given Abilify as well because I have some psychotic symptoms and bipolar runs in the family. Remeron does not help with my sleep which is disappointing. I still have trouble with my self-esteem but I have noticed improvements in my attitude. I can control anxiety much better and feel more relaxed going about my day. I have only been taking it for 3 weeks. I wish I felt better about myself but maybe medicines are not the help I need for that."

Anonymous October 28, 2011

For Insomnia "Woke up with very blurry vision for 3 hours....was scary! It made me sleep well, but the appetite increase was horrific. I literally thought about food the whole day. Did not take again. I have a spinal condition and could have easily put on 20lbs in a month on this, that is if I could find the fridge with my blurry vision. This is a common side effect with this medicine."

jamie5136 October 2, 2011

For Anxiety "I was suffering extreme anxiety, weight loss and insomnia due to a diagnosed medical condition. I tried several sleep aids and SSRIs. Nothing worked. Because of the weight loss I was prescribed Remeron. It was a Miracle for me! I slept through the night for the first time in months, relieved anxiety and I started gaining weight. Over time, my anxiety went away, but I stayed on because I loved having an appetite (I had no appetite for years). I guess I stayed on too long. After 6 years I decided I should get off. I was dependent. I suffered flu like symptoms for weeks--nausea, exhaustion, gastrointestinal upset, feeling like low-grade fever. I finally got rid of the nausea, but if I'm off for 2 weeks, the gastrointestinal upset creeps in. I now take 3.25mg 1X week."

Anonymous September 27, 2011

For Insomnia "As a sleep aid it is good, HOWEVER the abnormal and lucid dreams have caused some days to be clouded due to the "feel" from the nights before. I have also experienced crazy "sleep talking" to the point where my boyfriend can actually have full on conversations with me while I'm sleeping and dreaming. Weight gain has been substantial due to what I call a ravenous hunger."

wheeldonsgirl September 19, 2011

For Anxiety "After 4 LONG years of "experimenting" with Lexapro, Paxil and benzos on and off with my regular MD, I decided to see a Psychiatrist that's very popular in my city. I told him my symptoms and that I was also going through Ativan tolerance withdrawal. He prescribed me Remeron and agreed to wean me off the Ativan properly. I don't know why my regular MD didn't try this miracle medicine on me! GRR!! This changed me overnight. It has STOPPED my nervous stomach and I'm eating again. I sleep good too. A few side effects would be the flashing lights you see when you close your eyes the 1st night I took it, and restless legs and vivid dreams but those are slowly disappearing. This medicine has helped me drastically."

Anonymous September 15, 2011

141 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia "Helped with my insomnia but slept too long. Went to sleep at 11pm and slept till 5pm the next day. I did not take a dose the next night and still woke up groggy."

Anonymous September 11, 2011

For Anxiety "My doctor put me on Remeron trying to ween me off of Xanax and it was a horrible alternative. It gave me one of the worst panic attacks I've ever had. Once I eventually fell asleep, waking up the next morning was quite difficult as it felt like I was hit with a train."

joe324234 September 1, 2011

For Insomnia "I suffered from insomnia for over 10 years. I tried everything under the sun from behavioral modification to herbal supplements to prescription drugs. I started 7.5 mg of Remeron and 7.5 mg of Restoril 5 months ago and I have never slept better. I am so thankful to have found these medications. The first few days I was a bit dizzy and disoriented. And, yes, I have the 10 lb weight gain but that is slowly coming off with proper diet and exercise. This medication literally saved my life."

Anonymous July 31, 2011

For Depression "I recently started Remeron after trying Buspar for anxiety/depression and insomnia. I have a dysfunctional family like many others but they are the root of the issues that I started having. Buspar was a waste of time for the most part, helped with anxiety some but pushed the depression on. I now take 30 mg at night as well as 0.25mg of Klonopin. I am sleeping better but as many have said, very hard to get out of bed. It has been only 4 days and I will stick with it as I am not happy, but also starting to feel less depressed, maybe because I am sleeping better."

InsaneinSTL July 17, 2011

For Depression "I have been on every SSRI out there and they do nothing for me. I was on Remeron about 5 years ago and noticed a significant lift in my depression and felt as I did before I suffered from depression. It also allowed me to get the sleep I struggle so hard to get every night. After a layoff with no insurance I came off Remeron. I recently have suffered from major depressive disorder and was put on what was supposed to be the best of the best Lexapro. After a year I still saw no difference except for the lack of sex and asked my psychiatrist to switch me to Remeron. He was surprised but did so with no objection and I'm currently tapering off the Lexapro and only two weeks into it I am beginning to feel much better already."

serenity0322 July 13, 2011

For Anxiety "I've been taking this for anxiety, depression and insomnia. I've only been on this for a few days now, so all I can notice is I am sleeping better. All of the reviews I have read help me understand a lot more about the medicine. Thank you all for that. The main thing I hope it helps with is my anxiety. I will post a review later on when its in my system and hopefully doing what it is intended to do. Again thank you all for your input. It has been very helpful."

the goofy one July 8, 2011

For Depression "I have been on Remeron for about 2 months. It has helped a little with my depression, which is good but I am getting too many side effects. After reading all the comments I will be calling my doctor in the morning. I used to get a good nights sleep but since on Remeron I don't sleep. I am gaining weight and also having a lot of hot flashes. I don't know if it is related to this medication but since on Remeron my restless leg syndrome is back. "

Anonymous July 8, 2011

For Anxiety "I just started this medicine two weeks ago. I'm 5'5" and 99 lbs. I was suffering also from extreme anxiety. I've used one to two mgs of Xanax to sleep for years. The sleep doctor I see decided to add Remeron to the Xanax and I'm so pleased with the results in so far as anxiety and especially my appetite. I've gained 5 lbs in the first two weeks and would like to get back to about 118lbs or so. "

susanbcork July 7, 2011

"This medication worked great as far as my mental state. It actually worked, which is something that no other medicine had done for me. On the downside, I began to swell or retain fluids extremely bad. I was several months into taking the medicine before the swelling was noticeable, therefore I didn't suspect that it was this medication. I got to the point where I couldn't twist the lid off a bottle or hardly bear the weight of standing on my feet. The swelling was intermittent with the worst cases being in the morning after waking up. Some days it was extremely bad and others it was mild. After 4 doctors assessed me and found nothing, I checked for side effects of Remeron. Swelling of hands and feet is listed."

Anonymous June 11, 2011

For Depression "I had taken Effexor XR for a year or so and wanted to see if there might be something else out there that may work better. My doctor suggested Remeron. Unfortunately I had a severe reaction on 2 separate occasions (6 months apart) after my first dose. I had trouble falling asleep then could not get out of bed the whole day. I also had very severe mood swings, to the extent of screaming at my small children when they asked a question too many times. I had terrible rage. "

Anonymous June 10, 2011

For Anxiety "It is the only medicine that helps me sleep on time and for 7 to 8 hours."

Anonymous May 3, 2011

For Hot Flashes "Causes intense sweating"

Matt T. April 27, 2011

For Depression "This medicine is helping me - I feel better in general. I have taken it for 2 weeks and gained 10lbs. All I think about is my next meal and then snacks. It is crazy, I can't help but eat, eat, eat. I have called my doctor to see about switching me to something else. I can't continue gaining weight like this. I may have to find some diet pills to off-set the cravings. If you are depressed and underweight this is the pill for you."

Getting help! April 21, 2011

For Depression "I started taking this medication 4 days ago, I was given a prescription for 1 30mg tablet to be taken at night. I am sensitive to medication so the first night I only took 1/2 of a tablet (15mg), I couldn't sleep at all. I was up all night. Finally slept about 2 hours early in the morning. On the flip side, I felt GREAT all day. So that night I took the same dosage. Slept well, and no grogginess. The next day, I took the whole tablet (30mg), and slept from 10pm until 8pm the next day!!! I could NOT get up. My husband was worried so he finally got me up and into the shower. I was okay after that. I took 1/2 tablet (15mg) and went back to bed that night around 2am. Felt fine in the morning. Proper dosage is the key with this medication!"

Anonymous April 4, 2011

For Insomnia "Remeron worked great for my insomnia and also eliminated anxiety better than any other medicine I have tried. HOWEVER, it made me hungry constantly. The resulting weight gain resulted in diabetes and high blood pressure and exacerbated my sleep apnea. I had to stop taking it because of these adverse effects. Unfortunately, I've not found an acceptable alternative."

Anonymous March 23, 2011