Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Flagyl

Learn more about Flagyl.

Flagyl review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 853 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Flagyl to treat Bacterial Infection

Review by T1 (taken for less than 1 month):

THE TASTE OF THIS MEDICINE IS SO BITTER. I HAve TO CHEW GUM AFTER, I HAD REALLY BAD STOMACH PAINS THEN DIARRHEA ALL NIGHT LONG.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2015 6:33 PM

Review by rahelle:

Within 2 days my bacterial vaginitis completely cleared up. I don't take antibiotics or any sort of medicine often and this is why, no appetite and some other side effects but would rather take that over bacterial vaginitis!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 8, 2015 10:57 PM

Review by Jolenne H:

This medicine works SO well! The smell and heavy discharge were gone within 2 days of this 10 day medication. A lot of other people report feeling sick and restless but this was not my experience at all. The only side effect I experienced was lightheadedness due to the medicine's ability to dehydrate the body. The only thing that really sucks about this medication is not being able to drink alcohol-- and seriously, don't even attempt it. You will thank me later.

February 16, 2015 1:22 PM

Review by Cg00 (taken for less than 1 month):

I get reoccurring Bacterial Vaginitis. This medication is the only one that works. I've used tea tree oil suppositories, & 500mg boric acid suppositories. You can possibly get a yeast infection if you are sensitive. Boric acid suppositories are the only thing that works for clearing up a yeast infection. Bacteria that cause Bacterial Vaginits can be held in the urethra of a man so I would be aware of reoccurring infections with the same partner. Maybe get him treated also. Keep your sugar intake low. Strengthen your immune system. The gel is more expensive but seems to be soothing. The pills will get you well but do NOT ingest alcohol at all or you will get violently ill. I forgot at a work function once, never again!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2015 2:31 AM

Review by KL23:

This works every single time I have bacterial vaginitis.

January 12, 2015 9:15 AM

Review by tlwrigh1:

First just to comment on the medicine itself, I was taking 500mg pills every 12 hours for 7 days. I did not get to finish. The medicine is amazing! The smell and discharge were gone within the 1st two pills. The worst part were the side effects and this is why I didn't finish. I was constantly vomiting and could not sleep at all. Every time I tried to eat or drink anything I threw it right up. I also experienced diarrhea but that was not nearly as bad as the vomiting. I quit on day 4 because I couldn't bare the side effects, but the medicine itself is really a life saver!

January 8, 2015 8:51 AM

I take it with a banana so I can't taste it, no effects except for headaches.

December 14, 2014 11:41 PM

Review by CNored:

Works well, but the taste is horrible. I'm taking them twice a day for a week. For the first couple of days, I had diarrhea very bad and after taking the medication, I ended up with a yeast infection. So, I had to treat that as well with a 7 day cream.

October 21, 2014 3:36 PM

Review by sla83838:

This worked wonders for me. Always cleared up my bacterial vaginosis!

October 21, 2014 1:38 AM

Review by Tried It!:

Everyone is different. If you can, ask your doctor for the inserts. They are great but expensive and some insurances will not pay for it. Both the vaginal inserts and the pill form will rid you of the awful symptoms. The worry with inserts is, does the inserts completely get rid of the infection? With the pills, a person knows the bacteria is being targeted from the inside-out. The first time I took the pill form and several times after, I experience all of the side effects mentioned in the previous reviews. Some people will experience all, others some, and some, no side effects at all. I wish for a pill form that doesn't make "Some of us" feel so bad. For those of us whom are affected the worse, I wish all Insurance would pay.

October 2, 2014 4:24 AM

Review by Jenna24:

Works well but the taste is horrid.

May 28, 2014 9:33 PM

Review by Nanamama5 (taken for less than 1 month):

Started this 4 days ago for an anaerobic infection in my jaw, that had not responded to other medication. The first I developed a severe headache at bedtime, took one of the pain pills the dentist had prescribed because of my jaw/tooth abscess. Took care of it, and went about my business. So far, every NIGHT I developed a headache an hour or so after taking my last dose of the day (1 500mg tab twice a day). This is day 4. Only other side effect I've noticed is significantly darkened urine. I would have been really worried about that (as I have kidney stones) but had a routine visit with my urologist today who said it was ok and would go away.

April 8, 2014 5:27 AM

Review by Niki 32yrs (taken for less than 1 month):

Taken at night with a common yeast infection pill worked great!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2014 9:24 AM

Review by A mom79:

Doctor prescribed this medication for bacterial vaginitis 3x a day for 7 days well I took my 1st dose no problem except a little diarrhea. Took my second dose and went to bed. A few hours later I'm awakened out of my sleep to a tingling face. My right side of my face is swollen.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2014 12:13 AM

Review by anon17:

I'm taking Flagyl for what I guess is a bacterial infection but I've been taking it for a few days possibly even a week and I cant really tell a difference, all I know is that I have an inflamed colon and I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy in December, I'm taking 500mg three times a day for 14 days and sometimes I do miss a dose every now and again, could this be why I haven't noticed much change?? and I haven't experienced any side effects aside from feeling a little tired because i always take it after a meal, the only thing i have to complain about it is that its uncoated so it tastes pretty bad but if you just take a mouthful of drink first then drop the pill in it really helps with the taste. btw im only 17 years old

November 4, 2013 12:24 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Been on this for a week! Even though it's taking care of my issue I can't wait to take my last pill. I've been sick to my stomach, loss of appetite, headache, dizzy, blurry vision, disoriented, fatigued, can't sleep well. Just ready for this course to be over.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2013 9:43 AM

Review by ashleyelizabeth8:

I really don't understand all the negative reviews for this medicine. I've been on it for three solid days now and have had absolutely no issues. I'm taking 500 mg, one pill twice a day. I've been taking it after lunch and dinner and haven't had any issues with diarrhea, nausea, or dizziness. As for people complaining about the taste of the pill, how are you even able to know what it tastes like? It should be in your mouth for less than a second, just swallow it down with a glass of water or some orange juice.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2013 10:19 PM

Review by Liz1979:

Started taking Flagyl for bacterial vaginitis on Friday. Didn't start feeling side effects until late Saturday, where I experienced flu like symptoms. It is now Tuesday, and I can't wait until my last dose. I am taking 500mg every 12 hours for 7 days. I also have interstitial cystitis, which I think the medicine is irritating my bladder. Fatigue is the worst symptom so far, doesn't help when I work midnights and am already tired. No diarrhea though, and no yeast infection yet. When they prescribed it too me, I was not happy! I just tell myself the benefits outweigh the risks. I just hope my Interstitial Cystitis symptoms subside when this is done.

April 2, 2013 6:25 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Before I started this medicine I was so worried because of all the reviews about bad side effects. I can honestly say I did not have a bad experience at all. I was on 500mg twice a day for 7 days. The 2nd day I was on it, I had very slight nausea in the evening but I started watching T.V and when the show was over my nausea was gone. The 3rd day, I had some wine and I was on my 2nd glass when I remembered I'm not supposed to drink while on Flagyl. I just finished my last dose & haven't experienced anymore nausea or anything. I've been lethargic the last 2 days but that may be due to getting my period. Not everyone has a bad reaction!

March 19, 2013 11:39 PM

Review by JPCPSVA:

For the last few years I have had recurrences, sometimes as often as once a week of vomiting and diarrhea. It seemed to be traced to exhaustion and fatty foods. In the meantime, my wife contacted C. Difficile in the hospital. Along the way, I may have contracted C.Diffcile too. In any event, my doctor prescribe Flagyl, which I took four times a day for 10 days. This cleared everything up but the problem kept occurring. For the last 45 days I have been taking 2, 250 mg. capsules once a day. Recently I have cut down to one. Although I have had occasional diarrhea, there has been no vomiting or nausea.

February 10, 2013 1:41 PM

Review by Ziyal (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had constant nausea and mild diarrhea on it until I eliminated dairy products. Took more than 24 hours after the last serving, but both the nausea and the diarrhea went away. I've also experienced fatigue, vertigo and a lot of trouble concentrating. Ugh. But it does seem to be doing the job. I'm taking it and another antibiotic for an infected surgical wound.

January 28, 2013 6:34 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

My doctor gave me this because I had bacterial vaginosis. Not even 12 hours in to my first dose, I got the metallic taste in my mouth, then severe stomach cramps and nausea. I'm on day 5 and have had bouts of nausea throughout the course of my medication. My appetite has gone way, way down and I'm SO tired! I literally will sleep 12 hours and then get up for 2 then go back to bed for another 4! Having trouble staying awake at work, but it is doing its job!

October 30, 2012 2:36 PM

Review by miserable1:

I've been taking this medication for 5 days now. I'm on it for 10 days, 3 times a day and I'm being treated for C diff. Before I started this medication I was in severe pain, diarrhea, weight loss, constantly urinating. Now my abdominal pain is minimal I'm holding weight. Gained a few pounds. Still having constant urination not quite as much and still having upset stomach, diarrhea. Now going back to the Dr. to see if I still have C diff.

July 6, 2012 9:14 PM

Medicine seems to be effective, but is literally the most terrible tasting medicine I've ever had. It has no coating and dissolves instantly on your tongue, leaving a horrid taste behind. It is upsetting to your stomach. Taking it because it's effective. Wish they'd add a coating. I dread taking this medicine and have a knot in my stomach when it's almost time to take it.

February 22, 2012 2:22 PM

Review by adiola:

I just finished a 10 day treatment of 500mg every 12 hours. I am so glad it is over. I experienced stomach aches, metallic taste in mouth which I am still experiencing, as well as tingling/numbness in my tongue. I am also experiencing itchy & a burning sensation in the vaginal area it is uncomfortable. I hope it goes away soon. The only good thing about all this is that I don't have that fishy smell anymore.

December 29, 2011 3:34 PM