User Reviews for Flagyl

Learn more about Flagyl.

Flagyl Review Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 637 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Flagyl to treat Bacterial Infection

"This is my second time on Flagyl. I am on a 10 day course of it 2x daily for a bacterial infection in my stomach. Other than some gas pains I have had no bad side effects. There is a lot of bad things on "Dr. Google" and I have to refrain from googling things as they tend to make some feel the symptoms... to me Flagyl has worked and I hope everyone finds a medicine that will help them..Flagyl or not"

Stace1 August 30, 2015

"HORRIBLE!!! I had numbness/tingling my skin felt like it was crawling I got really irritable and had a seizure! If you have ANY unusual but serious side effects call your doctor! I have heard of other cases of people having seizures on this medication."

suburbanwife August 29, 2015

"I went on a holiday to Thailand and developed a bloated stomach with wind and later diarrhea. The Dr prescribed Flagyl to kill and bugs in the intestine. We know that in these countries it is rather easy to get a bug from foods. After many trips I finally got a Bangkok Belly. After taking 400 mg 3 times a day I felt some relief the next day. Felt good. Then the next day I woke up feeling terrible. I had sneezing, runny nose, a feeling of tightness in the nose (harder to breathe), asthma, dry lips, rashes on the hands, body aches, lack of appetite, feeling lethargic and tired along with wind in the stomach along with slight nausea. Diarrhea almost gone. Most side effects are happening to me on the fourth day."

medicine_interest (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

"Bread is the key. I've taken metronidazole 500mg 2 times a day for 7 days. This is my 9th set of themm seeing that I'm prone to BV. Every time I get them I get nauseous, sick headaches, stomach pains, weak and the taste is the worst thing in life. It always hits my tongue or back of throat. I never finsu a bottle I always leave about 3-4 pills because I can never finish and the symptoms clear after about 3 days. Well after my last visit that is why it always comes back you have to take the whole dosage. But it was such a hard pill I never could. Well this time I learned to wrap them in BREAD. Problem solver!!! I wrap it around bread, and just swollow it . its like u never took a pill :) no taste and no headaches no nasuea and I even take it without food sometimes. No symptoms what so ever ! This is a big help in my life. Because ive dealt with this for a year and a half back to back because I have a very sensitive body! Now if I ever need to take them everything is perfectly fine :) I recommend doing that , because I believe the taste is what causes the symptoms.....at least for me . -Kyri"

Kyr.oshay (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 21, 2015

"I was prescribed this drug for BV, which like many other women, I did not even know I had until a doctor told me! I had absolutely no symptoms other than a slight odor. I was prescribed Flagyl for 7 days (two 500mg pills a day). I started noticing side effects immediately! I would have given anything to feel the drowsy feeling that most women on this website said the felt because for me it was the complete opposite! I could not sleep at all, I felt like my heart was racing and my skin was crawling, it also made me feel like I had Restless Leg Syndrome and extreme nausea. Luckily on the 4th night with no sleep my sister gave me some of her Ambein and I finally slept. Side effects aside, the drug works wonders, BV was indeed cleared up."

Momof3Girlz (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2015

"Very interesting comments. I have been taking the drug for 14 days and my doctor just prescribed another 2 week course. It is treating infection after experiencing sepsis during a colectomy. I have an ileostomy and my bag was bloating with severe gas to the point that it was causing leakage. OTC meds didn't help with gas. When I asked the doctor for a Rx to relieve the gas he said the Flagyl I would be taking would help. Since I started I haven't had a single gas episode and I even started back on carbonated water beverages. I haven't experienced the other issues I've been reading from others except for the taste and some fatigue. I can attest not to drink alcohol as I did have two drinks at my son's wedding and I hit a wall."

NoColon (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2015

"I was perscribed this medicine to treat BV, I was told to take 5 400mg pills in one dose, this sounded wrong to me so I decided to have a look online and wished I never! I saw people sharing stories of really horrible side effects such as headache, dizzy spells and vomiting, being emetophobia this really worried me and I was debating if I'd even take the pills! Eventually decided to take them & as instructed, on a full stomach,with a large glass of water at night. They did taste a bit horrible but nothing as bad as I'd read, once I'd taken them the taste was gone ,I didn't have any dizziness or nausea, nothing, absolutely fine. I think some people have exaggerated their side effects majorly!"

LivingBeyond June 12, 2015

"This medication worked wonders! I was a little skeptic about it from doing research but with anything you google search; if you dig around long enough you will eventually find something scary. I have had no diarrhea while on this medication as some of the complaints were mostly about diarrhea, nausea, headaches and cramps. Let me tell you, drink PLENTY of water! Don't drink soda, tea, punch etc I mean straight up water! I also picked up Kefir, it's a cultured low fat milk smoothie. It will do wonders for your stomach! I also took Zantac 150mg 30 mins before taking the metro pill. Only side effect I have had was a tender tongue under my chin. PS; if ur urine is dark (common complaint by most) u need more water people! hope this helps you!"

Boomsmithy June 7, 2015

"3d day on flagyl and cipro after 6 days of diarrhea , found out I have colitus . Bowel infection due to a parasiite. Diarrhea finally stopped but the stomach sounds I have are hugely intense!!! And the horrible taste in my mouth is aweful. But hey! It's doing its job! Better than having the big D for 6 days in a row!"

speace May 29, 2015

"I was prescribed the 7-day, 3 times a day dose for BV. As to symptoms clearing/persisting, I wouldn't know because I didn't notice anything amiss to begin with (no noticeable smell or discharge). The GYN recommended Flagyl after my annual appointment possibly because I was developing BV. I don't know if it's the medicine, but I developed the worst sore throat I've had in years. Congestion interspersed with runny nose, sinus pressure, throat pain, sneezing, coughing, raw nose, the works. It feels like a mix between strep throat and a sinus infection. I feel like my head is in a vice. The only other thing that's changed is darker urine than usual. I'm on my last pill and I started getting sick on day 4 of antibiotics."

Am C May 15, 2015

"Nausea and vomiting for at least 6hrs"

stephs86 May 7, 2015

"I can't express enough how much this pill has helped!! I'm taking it for BV. My symptoms were gone by day 3. I should add that I have severe allergies to MANY strands of antibiotics (I'm talking epi-pen type allergies). For me to be able to take this with almost zero side effects is amazing. I had a slight headache day 2 and I sort of feel like I'm always hungry, but I would take any side effect for 7 days over the smell of BV!!"

Someone;-) April 29, 2015

"THE TASTE OF THIS MEDICINE IS SO BITTER. I HAve TO CHEW GUM AFTER, I HAD REALLY BAD STOMACH PAINS THEN DIARRHEA ALL NIGHT LONG."

T1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2015

"Today is my 3rd day on this antibiotic. I had been experiencing an embarrassing discharge for a few months now. I repeatedly asked my doctor to test me for BV -- After 3 failed attempts to have my doctor test me for bacterial vaginosis, telling me that I was being overly sensitive - I finally sought a second opinion, and turns out, I did in fact have the infection. I am on my third day of the antibiotic (twice a day for seven days) and while I have noticed some uncomfortable side effects such as restlessness and night and mild queasiness - my symptoms are completely gone. No discharge, no embarrassing smell. Thank heavens! I will gladly be slightly uncomfortable for a week to rid myself of this disgusting, embarrassing infection."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2015

"Took flagyl to treat bv (I actually think it was trich) one doctor said it was trich one said it was bv. Don't expect to see results within 3 days 4 days or etc. everyone's different. Odour went away for me within 4-5 days and discharge never went away until the last pill! Even 3 days after I had clumps of discharge but it was just cleaning itself. I kept reading reviews and making myself paranoid and wanting to cry lol. This is my third time and it's finally gone. I also wash with vagisil ph balance. Btw Don't have sex and don't take medication that will counter act the medicine. (E.g. Tums for stomach relief or Tylenol/Advil)That is all! Hope this helped!"

KIJ March 23, 2015

"I've been taking flagyl 500mg twice a day for 6 days now for bacterial vaginitis. I almost decided to give up on sx but I told my new bf that we have to be extra careful next time. Wash our hands like a surgeon. I'm not even sure I want to have oral sx anymore. I just don't think it is worth it. Is it possible not to get an infection with oral. I am at the home stretch. I have that metallic taste in my mouth and nausea. I'm also fatigued but I am a mother of two girls and it could be anything. My doctor actually prescribed this medication for 10 days but I'm only doing it for 7. My symptoms are gone and I just wanted to comment because I like reading other people's stories. It really helps me not feel so alone."

almost over March 9, 2015

"Within 2 days my bacterial vaginitis completely cleared up. I don't take antibiotics or any sort of medicine often and this is why, no appetite and some other side effects but would rather take that over bacterial vaginitis!"

rahelle March 8, 2015

"This medicine works SO well! The smell and heavy discharge were gone within 2 days of this 10 day medication. A lot of other people report feeling sick and restless but this was not my experience at all. The only side effect I experienced was lightheadedness due to the medicine's ability to dehydrate the body. The only thing that really sucks about this medication is not being able to drink alcohol-- and seriously, don't even attempt it. You will thank me later."

Jolenne H February 16, 2015

"I get reoccurring Bacterial Vaginitis. This medication is the only one that works. I've used tea tree oil suppositories, & 500mg boric acid suppositories. You can possibly get a yeast infection if you are sensitive. Boric acid suppositories are the only thing that works for clearing up a yeast infection. Bacteria that cause Bacterial Vaginits can be held in the urethra of a man so I would be aware of reoccurring infections with the same partner. Maybe get him treated also. Keep your sugar intake low. Strengthen your immune system. The gel is more expensive but seems to be soothing. The pills will get you well but do NOT ingest alcohol at all or you will get violently ill. I forgot at a work function once, never again!"

Cg00 (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2015

"This works every single time I have bacterial vaginitis. "

KL23 January 12, 2015

"First just to comment on the medicine itself, I was taking 500mg pills every 12 hours for 7 days. I did not get to finish. The medicine is amazing! The smell and discharge were gone within the 1st two pills. The worst part were the side effects and this is why I didn't finish. I was constantly vomiting and could not sleep at all. Every time I tried to eat or drink anything I threw it right up. I also experienced diarrhea but that was not nearly as bad as the vomiting. I quit on day 4 because I couldn't bare the side effects, but the medicine itself is really a life saver!"

tlwrigh1 January 8, 2015

"I take it with a banana so I can't taste it, no effects except for headaches."

Anonymous December 14, 2014

"Works well, but the taste is horrible. I'm taking them twice a day for a week. For the first couple of days, I had diarrhea very bad and after taking the medication, I ended up with a yeast infection. So, I had to treat that as well with a 7 day cream."

CNored October 21, 2014

"This worked wonders for me. Always cleared up my bacterial vaginosis!"

sla83838 October 21, 2014

"Everyone is different. If you can, ask your doctor for the inserts. They are great but expensive and some insurances will not pay for it. Both the vaginal inserts and the pill form will rid you of the awful symptoms. The worry with inserts is, does the inserts completely get rid of the infection? With the pills, a person knows the bacteria is being targeted from the inside-out. The first time I took the pill form and several times after, I experience all of the side effects mentioned in the previous reviews. Some people will experience all, others some, and some, no side effects at all. I wish for a pill form that doesn't make "Some of us" feel so bad. For those of us whom are affected the worse, I wish all Insurance would pay."

Tried It! October 2, 2014