User Reviews for Flagyl

Learn more about Flagyl.

Flagyl Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 580 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Flagyl to treat Bacterial Infection

"I was prescribed the 7-day, 3 times a day dose for BV. As to symptoms clearing/persisting, I wouldn't know because I didn't notice anything amiss to begin with (no noticeable smell or discharge). The GYN recommended Flagyl after my annual appointment possibly because I was developing BV. I don't know if it's the medicine, but I developed the worst sore throat I've had in years. Congestion interspersed with runny nose, sinus pressure, throat pain, sneezing, coughing, raw nose, the works. It feels like a mix between strep throat and a sinus infection. I feel like my head is in a vice. The only other thing that's changed is darker urine than usual. I'm on my last pill and I started getting sick on day 4 of antibiotics."

Am C May 15, 2015

"Nausea and vomiting for at least 6hrs"

stephs86 May 7, 2015

"I can't express enough how much this pill has helped!! I'm taking it for BV. My symptoms were gone by day 3. I should add that I have severe allergies to MANY strands of antibiotics (I'm talking epi-pen type allergies). For me to be able to take this with almost zero side effects is amazing. I had a slight headache day 2 and I sort of feel like I'm always hungry, but I would take any side effect for 7 days over the smell of BV!!"

Someone;-) April 29, 2015

"THE TASTE OF THIS MEDICINE IS SO BITTER. I HAve TO CHEW GUM AFTER, I HAD REALLY BAD STOMACH PAINS THEN DIARRHEA ALL NIGHT LONG."

T1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2015

"Today is my 3rd day on this antibiotic. I had been experiencing an embarrassing discharge for a few months now. I repeatedly asked my doctor to test me for BV -- After 3 failed attempts to have my doctor test me for bacterial vaginosis, telling me that I was being overly sensitive - I finally sought a second opinion, and turns out, I did in fact have the infection. I am on my third day of the antibiotic (twice a day for seven days) and while I have noticed some uncomfortable side effects such as restlessness and night and mild queasiness - my symptoms are completely gone. No discharge, no embarrassing smell. Thank heavens! I will gladly be slightly uncomfortable for a week to rid myself of this disgusting, embarrassing infection."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2015

"Took flagyl to treat bv (I actually think it was trich) one doctor said it was trich one said it was bv. Don't expect to see results within 3 days 4 days or etc. everyone's different. Odour went away for me within 4-5 days and discharge never went away until the last pill! Even 3 days after I had clumps of discharge but it was just cleaning itself. I kept reading reviews and making myself paranoid and wanting to cry lol. This is my third time and it's finally gone. I also wash with vagisil ph balance. Btw Don't have sex and don't take medication that will counter act the medicine. (E.g. Tums for stomach relief or Tylenol/Advil)That is all! Hope this helped!"

KIJ March 23, 2015

"I've been taking flagyl 500mg twice a day for 6 days now for bacterial vaginitis. I almost decided to give up on sx but I told my new bf that we have to be extra careful next time. Wash our hands like a surgeon. I'm not even sure I want to have oral sx anymore. I just don't think it is worth it. Is it possible not to get an infection with oral. I am at the home stretch. I have that metallic taste in my mouth and nausea. I'm also fatigued but I am a mother of two girls and it could be anything. My doctor actually prescribed this medication for 10 days but I'm only doing it for 7. My symptoms are gone and I just wanted to comment because I like reading other people's stories. It really helps me not feel so alone."

almost over March 9, 2015

"Within 2 days my bacterial vaginitis completely cleared up. I don't take antibiotics or any sort of medicine often and this is why, no appetite and some other side effects but would rather take that over bacterial vaginitis!"

rahelle March 8, 2015

"This medicine works SO well! The smell and heavy discharge were gone within 2 days of this 10 day medication. A lot of other people report feeling sick and restless but this was not my experience at all. The only side effect I experienced was lightheadedness due to the medicine's ability to dehydrate the body. The only thing that really sucks about this medication is not being able to drink alcohol-- and seriously, don't even attempt it. You will thank me later."

Jolenne H February 16, 2015

"I get reoccurring Bacterial Vaginitis. This medication is the only one that works. I've used tea tree oil suppositories, & 500mg boric acid suppositories. You can possibly get a yeast infection if you are sensitive. Boric acid suppositories are the only thing that works for clearing up a yeast infection. Bacteria that cause Bacterial Vaginits can be held in the urethra of a man so I would be aware of reoccurring infections with the same partner. Maybe get him treated also. Keep your sugar intake low. Strengthen your immune system. The gel is more expensive but seems to be soothing. The pills will get you well but do NOT ingest alcohol at all or you will get violently ill. I forgot at a work function once, never again!"

Cg00 (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2015

"This works every single time I have bacterial vaginitis. "

KL23 January 12, 2015

"First just to comment on the medicine itself, I was taking 500mg pills every 12 hours for 7 days. I did not get to finish. The medicine is amazing! The smell and discharge were gone within the 1st two pills. The worst part were the side effects and this is why I didn't finish. I was constantly vomiting and could not sleep at all. Every time I tried to eat or drink anything I threw it right up. I also experienced diarrhea but that was not nearly as bad as the vomiting. I quit on day 4 because I couldn't bare the side effects, but the medicine itself is really a life saver!"

tlwrigh1 January 8, 2015

"I take it with a banana so I can't taste it, no effects except for headaches."

Anonymous December 14, 2014

"Works well, but the taste is horrible. I'm taking them twice a day for a week. For the first couple of days, I had diarrhea very bad and after taking the medication, I ended up with a yeast infection. So, I had to treat that as well with a 7 day cream."

CNored October 21, 2014

"This worked wonders for me. Always cleared up my bacterial vaginosis!"

sla83838 October 21, 2014

"Everyone is different. If you can, ask your doctor for the inserts. They are great but expensive and some insurances will not pay for it. Both the vaginal inserts and the pill form will rid you of the awful symptoms. The worry with inserts is, does the inserts completely get rid of the infection? With the pills, a person knows the bacteria is being targeted from the inside-out. The first time I took the pill form and several times after, I experience all of the side effects mentioned in the previous reviews. Some people will experience all, others some, and some, no side effects at all. I wish for a pill form that doesn't make "Some of us" feel so bad. For those of us whom are affected the worse, I wish all Insurance would pay."

Tried It! October 2, 2014

"Works well but the taste is horrid."

Jenna24 May 28, 2014

"Started this 4 days ago for an anaerobic infection in my jaw, that had not responded to other medication. The first I developed a severe headache at bedtime, took one of the pain pills the dentist had prescribed because of my jaw/tooth abscess. Took care of it, and went about my business. So far, every NIGHT I developed a headache an hour or so after taking my last dose of the day (1 500mg tab twice a day). This is day 4. Only other side effect I've noticed is significantly darkened urine. I would have been really worried about that (as I have kidney stones) but had a routine visit with my urologist today who said it was ok and would go away. "

Nanamama5 (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2014

"Taken at night with a common yeast infection pill worked great!"

Niki 32yrs (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2014

"Doctor prescribed this medication for bacterial vaginitis 3x a day for 7 days well I took my 1st dose no problem except a little diarrhea. Took my second dose and went to bed. A few hours later I'm awakened out of my sleep to a tingling face. My right side of my face is swollen."

A mom79 March 1, 2014

"I'm taking Flagyl for what I guess is a bacterial infection but I've been taking it for a few days possibly even a week and I cant really tell a difference, all I know is that I have an inflamed colon and I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy in December, I'm taking 500mg three times a day for 14 days and sometimes I do miss a dose every now and again, could this be why I haven't noticed much change?? and I haven't experienced any side effects aside from feeling a little tired because i always take it after a meal, the only thing i have to complain about it is that its uncoated so it tastes pretty bad but if you just take a mouthful of drink first then drop the pill in it really helps with the taste. btw im only 17 years old"

anon17 November 4, 2013

"Been on this for a week! Even though it's taking care of my issue I can't wait to take my last pill. I've been sick to my stomach, loss of appetite, headache, dizzy, blurry vision, disoriented, fatigued, can't sleep well. Just ready for this course to be over."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2013

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I really don't understand all the negative reviews for this medicine. I've been on it for three solid days now and have had absolutely no issues. I'm taking 500 mg, one pill twice a day. I've been taking it after lunch and dinner and haven't had any issues with diarrhea, nausea, or dizziness. As for people complaining about the taste of the pill, how are you even able to know what it tastes like? It should be in your mouth for less than a second, just swallow it down with a glass of water or some orange juice."

ashleyelizabeth8 July 24, 2013

"Started taking Flagyl for bacterial vaginitis on Friday. Didn't start feeling side effects until late Saturday, where I experienced flu like symptoms. It is now Tuesday, and I can't wait until my last dose. I am taking 500mg every 12 hours for 7 days. I also have interstitial cystitis, which I think the medicine is irritating my bladder. Fatigue is the worst symptom so far, doesn't help when I work midnights and am already tired. No diarrhea though, and no yeast infection yet. When they prescribed it too me, I was not happy! I just tell myself the benefits outweigh the risks. I just hope my Interstitial Cystitis symptoms subside when this is done."

Liz1979 April 2, 2013

"Before I started this medicine I was so worried because of all the reviews about bad side effects. I can honestly say I did not have a bad experience at all. I was on 500mg twice a day for 7 days. The 2nd day I was on it, I had very slight nausea in the evening but I started watching T.V and when the show was over my nausea was gone. The 3rd day, I had some wine and I was on my 2nd glass when I remembered I'm not supposed to drink while on Flagyl. I just finished my last dose & haven't experienced anymore nausea or anything. I've been lethargic the last 2 days but that may be due to getting my period. Not everyone has a bad reaction!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2013