User Reviews for Flagyl

Skin or Soft Tissue Infection 2 reviews 149 medications

Helicobacter Pylori Infection 1 reviews 60 medications

Summary of Flagyl reviews 116 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Flagyl

For Diverticulitis "I went to the ER and was told I had Diverticulitis..I stayed in the hospital for 3 days...I started taking Cipro and Flagyl. Only side effect is diarrhea, hard to manage when you work fulltime...Medication does work...On meds for 1 week."

feeling well (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "Was prescribed this by my OB for a mild case of bv. Took one pill on a full stomach. It tasted awful and I immediately threw up everything I had eaten. Then I read the paperwork from the pharmacy and it said to ask your Dr if you're less than 12 weeks pregnant... I just hit 8 weeks today. Should I trust the Dr or just say no to flagyl?"

topregotofunction January 21, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "My doctor prescribed to me Flagyl because of diarrhea for 5 days and now that I'm on day 1 off this medication I feel extremely tired and I am having short breaths. My middle upper back feels weird too. Is this normal?"

monkeykatie0328 January 11, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "My NP put me on a regime of Flagyl 500mg twice a day for 7 days for urinary symptoms I was having although my cultures were negative. I followed the regime for 5 days before finally stopping. My side effects were severe and had me ready to go to the ER. Stomach and pelvic cramping, continual discharge, complete loss of appetite, extreme nausea when attempting to force myself to eat solid food and general nausea when not eating. I felt extremely fatigued, emotional and anxious. I was on the verge of several full blown panic attacks at work. I'm not sure if my symptoms are taken care of by Flagyl because the side effects are so much worse. Day 2 off of the drug and having the most severe side effects yet."

CCB8703 December 31, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "I slather the entire pill w toothpaste right before I take it & it goes down like a gel pill."

msin4 December 30, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "I only have 2 days left thank goodness. I'm taking 500mg twice a day. This medication is working very well but if I ever run into this problem again I will opt for a different medication only because I am constantly nauseous and have no appetite what so ever. It has been like my whole pregnancy in 5 days without actually being sick this time. I just have to keep reminding myself 2 more days then your done."

Sopi (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "After metrogel not working, I took Flagyl, 7 day treatment. I put it far back in my mouth, filled my mouth with water and swallow. It worked, I only slightly tasted it, but that was enough to know how awful it was. I always ate something with it, no empty stomach, and I never took doses less than 8 or more than 12 hours apart. I even set alarms at 4 am to take a dose. I wanted this to work! Only side effect was a bad yeast infection. I ate greek yogurt while on this. The smell went away quick, but I still had discharge. I had to wait 3 weeks to see results because I had to treat my yeast infection right after (7days) and got my period after that. But after it all, I can finally say, it worked! No more bv! Let's hope it's for good!"

Former BV Sufferer December 14, 2015

For Diverticulitis "I have to say that metronidazole is a horrible antibiotic as far as side effects go especially when one has to go to work. I experienced a lot of dizziness, migraines, muscle pain even in my heart, jittery and drowziness. I'm sure flagyl is the same. Next time I'm asking not to get this prescribed my doctor. Better yet take it off the shelf."

Kaiser patient (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2015

For Diverticulitis "Day 3 on Flagyl and Cipro. I thought I was having a heart attack. This stuff has horrid side effects. Discomfort in my chest and arm. Foggy headed feeling, dizziness, unbalanced, headache, very nauseous, metal taste, very blurry eyesight. No energy, at 55 it is not a good thing to feel this way, especially when you are overweight and out of shape. This is only day 3 I don't think I can take this stuff for 7 more days. They say the IV kind is worse though. Supposedly it's helping (I do feel less pain in my abdomen I think). IF I make it through this stuff I bet I will watch what I eat and make better choices in the future. I called the pharmacy and the doc and both said to stay on it, cipro 2X daily and flagyl 4X daily. Scary stuff."

Anonymous November 13, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "Everyone's body will react differently to meds, genetics. Just bc I had a bad experience, doesn't mean you will. Took w full stomach of bland food, 16 oz water, & took a daily probiotic. My experience w this med was horrible. I was unbearably anxious, rapid heartbeat, intense pelvic pressure, bad stomach cramping, nonstop nausea, vomiting, & explosive diarrhea. This was my 2nd time w this med,w the same bad reaction. I had to discontinue, both times. Took 3 days to start feeling better, 5-7 until normal. I'll never take this med again. I'm sure it's good for others, but nit me. I had cancer so I've taken a lot of meds. Never had to stop another med from side effects before, but I was scared to the point of going to the er. Never again."

Worst side effects I ever had. (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2015

For Diverticulitis "I cringe when I think about having to take cipro and flagyl. I'm nauseous, dizzy, light headed, ache, and foggy headed. Can't function and sleep all the time. I miss a weeks worth of work because I feel so bad."

Claudine27 October 27, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "After intercourse with my boyfriend (no condom), I developed a strange odour and unusual discharge. I knew it wasn't the same as my usual discharge. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with BV (I feel like I actually had trich but apparently it's hard to test for that so BV it was!) I took this medicine after trying to treat it with probiotic and vitamin c ovules to no avail. I did experience very mild nausea and softer stool as expected with antibiotics. By the end of the week wasn't sure it was 100% gone because After I finished the course of flagyl my period came and I was scared that the bv would come back as other ladies have experienced. Luckily, everything was still back to normal despite my period. So far I've been BV free for 3 weeks. It was clear that this infection was causes by sex and not by any internal imbalance so hopefully it will stay away. I learnt my lesson to always always wear condoms because this problem is gross to have. I also now take daily probitotics which is great support for our bodies. So glad its gone I pray that all you ladies will find a cure if this hasn't worked for you!"

Janebella5 October 17, 2015

For Diverticulitis "Seems effective. Second use with diverticulitis. Both times combined with Cipro. Had some side effects but not sure which medication they came from. Plus the diverticulitis itself causes gas, bloating, diarrhea, headache, nausea so how do you know what was meds and what was the illness? I experienced urine discoloration-slight rusty tone. I can say that the taste of the Flagyl pill is horrible. Also, after starting the meds I became over sensitive to smells and everything I ate or drank, even water, tasted disgusting. (Not so bad as I'm not supposed to be eating foods). I found that if I swallow the Flagyl with a sip of a smoothie (from supermarket) it slips down easy with no sticking and no bad taste."

metalmaiden (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "Is This Antibiotic responsible for the Huge Increase in Parkinsons Diseease?? There is a Condition that affects a Great Percentage of the Western World an Antibiotic Infection. In most cases this leads to Coeliac Food intolerances Through Disbiosis of the Large Intestine and the resultant Leaky Gut and Possibly Bowel Cancer in later life. However this version of Antibiotic can cause a problem with Trytophan production from the Large intestine and a resultant Dopamine Deficency - "

Frankinsense (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2015

For Dental Abscess "This medication could have saved my life! I had a root canal gone awry. The emergency dentist prescribed Clindamycin and Flagyl stat. Could not take the Flagyl as I had swallowed listerine (has alcohol in it). The next morning an Endodentist redid the root canal, and he said to take the Clindamycin only. Two days--and a LOT more pain and swelling later--I found myself at night with enormous swelling spreading to my upper mouth with more throbbing pain, With nothing to lose, I took one dose (500mg) of Flagyl. Within 2 hours I felt no pain--it was like someone took water out of a balloon. Thank goodness, I believe I had an odd bacterial infection. I'll take both antibiotics for the duration. No alcohol on Flagyl--bad side effects!"

lch1000 (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2015

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I have Crohn's disease as well and was fine getting the flagyl by IV, but when switching to the pill form the vomiting started again. My doctor stopped that treatment and proceeded with the next phase of the Cizmia Injections Treatments which are working much better so far."

Lisa Atwell September 29, 2015

For Diverticulitis "I'm a 36 yo active female diagnosed with Diverticulitis. I took the combo of meds and am on day 7 now. I work out 6 days a week and have had to modify my workouts and weight lifting because I feel absolutely drained, weak and muscles ache. (This of course was advised against by both doctor and pharmacist but alas I am a knucklehead) I have the metallic taste as well in addition to nausea with the meds. However I would prefer these side effects to the pain associated with Diverticulitis."

Amelia_W September 23, 2015

For Trichomoniasis "Was put on Flagyl 500mg twice a day for one week. Tomorrow morning is my last pill. Had no clue about this antibiotic. 1st pill was taken on an empty stomach and I put the pill on the front of my tongue....big mistake! Was very aware after that what I had to do...place pill as far back as you can and drink water, fruit punch as fast as you can, on a full stomach! I constantly feel like I'm car sick, off and on headaches, some anxiety and just an overall disconnected feeling. But.....I have to admit it really works!"

Popgrl12 (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2015

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "My little guy was prescribed this to help treat a fistula and possible Crohn's. He's showing no signs of Crohn's and had been on this about 30 days. He's now vomiting when he takes it in pill form. It tastes awful. I thought he was just being dramatic so I tasted it. I think the taste stayed in my mouth for three hours! Right now I'm not sure if he had a bug or this medicine is too harsh for his stomach. However, it seems to be helping to close the fistula...the jury is still out on this medication."

M&MsMommy September 7, 2015

For Diverticulitis "I have been on Flagyl a few times and it works very well. But, why can't they put it in a gelcap. It is so hard for me to take because of the taste. I take it with cranberry juice, which helps. But, really, it is nasty tasting."

Anonymous September 6, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "This is my second time on Flagyl. I am on a 10 day course of it 2x daily for a bacterial infection in my stomach. Other than some gas pains I have had no bad side effects. There is a lot of bad things on "Dr. Google" and I have to refrain from googling things as they tend to make some feel the symptoms... to me Flagyl has worked and I hope everyone finds a medicine that will help them..Flagyl or not"

Stace1 August 30, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "HORRIBLE!!! I had numbness/tingling my skin felt like it was crawling I got really irritable and had a seizure! If you have ANY unusual but serious side effects call your doctor! I have heard of other cases of people having seizures on this medication."

suburbanwife August 29, 2015

For Diverticulitis "was put on flagyl and cipro for 1 week. I'm light-headed and only want to sleep! Nauseous and my mouth tastes awful. I am glad to read all of these posts and I thought I was getting a secondary sinus infection. MY last pills were on a monday and today, wednesday I still feel 'in the clouds'."

steph659 August 19, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "I went on a holiday to Thailand and developed a bloated stomach with wind and later diarrhea. The Dr prescribed Flagyl to kill and bugs in the intestine. We know that in these countries it is rather easy to get a bug from foods. After many trips I finally got a Bangkok Belly. After taking 400 mg 3 times a day I felt some relief the next day. Felt good. Then the next day I woke up feeling terrible. I had sneezing, runny nose, a feeling of tightness in the nose (harder to breathe), asthma, dry lips, rashes on the hands, body aches, lack of appetite, feeling lethargic and tired along with wind in the stomach along with slight nausea. Diarrhea almost gone. Most side effects are happening to me on the fourth day."

medicine_interest (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "Bread is the key. I've taken metronidazole 500mg 2 times a day for 7 days. This is my 9th set of themm seeing that I'm prone to BV. Every time I get them I get nauseous, sick headaches, stomach pains, weak and the taste is the worst thing in life. It always hits my tongue or back of throat. I never finsu a bottle I always leave about 3-4 pills because I can never finish and the symptoms clear after about 3 days. Well after my last visit that is why it always comes back you have to take the whole dosage. But it was such a hard pill I never could. Well this time I learned to wrap them in BREAD. Problem solver!!! I wrap it around bread, and just swollow it . its like u never took a pill :) no taste and no headaches no nasuea and I even take it without food sometimes. No symptoms what so ever ! This is a big help in my life. Because ive dealt with this for a year and a half back to back because I have a very sensitive body! Now if I ever need to take them everything is perfectly fine :) I recommend doing that , because I believe the taste is what causes the symptoms.....at least for me . -Kyri"

Kyr.oshay (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 21, 2015