User Reviews for Flagyl

5.5
Skin or Soft Tissue Infection 2 reviews 159 medications

Summary of Flagyl reviews 126 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Flagyl

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "Long time Crohn's after 5 small bowel resections I started getting bouts of intestinal bacteria that caused bloating, cramping and gas. This is the Only drug that helps. My GI now has me take it 2 times daily the first 5 days of each month which helps get the bacteria at bay. Hate the taste so take it with juice."

HeyJude18 May 21, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "I'm shocked at how many people say the pill taste awful. I had the mega dosage (4 pills at once) and I just took a big sip of fruit punch, dropped the pill in the back of my throat and swallowed. Tasted nothing. You guys must be sucking them like peppermints. As far a symptoms, barely any. I did get a lil nausea here and there but no big deal. Pills seemed to work almost immediately."

SashaFierceMe April 27, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "so far I have had some stomach cramping but at least the doctor in the hospital told me what to expect I'm getting better"

phil pots (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

For Diverticulitis "I have taken this for Diverticulitis and BV. It works. Had bleeding and severe almost septic Diverticulitis, was in hospital for 5 days and this cured it. Gets rid of BV too, just make sure to take Rephresh Pro-B pill immediately after finishing course of flagl and continue for a few months if you want to keep vagina healthy. Side affects of flagyl are diarrhea and slight nausea but bearable, just take it in the middle of meal. If you have horrible affects from it you are having allergic reaction, not side affects. I know bc my mom is allergic to flagyl. If taking for diverticulitus, take high grade probiotic for 2 months after finishing course of antibiotics to replenish good bacteria in gut."

Delta20000 April 7, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "I have now taken Flagyl twice, no side effects other than the awful taste. made me dread taking the pills every 12 hours. did not cure BV either time I used it, and I took it exactly every 12 hours."

enol March 19, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "This cleared up my BV well, however, I was experiencing some strange side effects. I'm having symptoms similar to a sinus infection-- pressure and pain in my temples, pain behind my eye, my eye was swollen as well as a runny nose. I've stopped taking the medication so I hope these symptoms pass. The same thing happens the last time I took this medication too."

Lexington283 March 14, 2016

For Diverticulitis "I was prescribed this medicine for my diverticulitis and every time I took this pill I was experiencing bad cramping, so I went to the emergency room and the doctor there told me to stop that medication because it causes constipation. So I'm just taking the other medicine and thus far no cramping just a bit of a headache but that's better than getting abdominal pains"

angelofmyeyes February 25, 2016

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection "I had a Duodenal Switch (a major weight loss surgery combining the vertical sleeve with rearranging one's intestines to minimize fat absorption) 9 yrs ago. Since then I've had probs with gas and a stomach ulcer, both caused by H Pylori. I've taken Flagyl twice. I am now on Day 5 of this round, & I don't experience most of the side effects I see described. (250 mg 3X per day) While the pill doesn't "taste" great, there are other meds that also don't, and I find this no more severe than those. I don't have a lingering bad taste. I've had no diarrhea and have had more regular bowel movements. I've had almost no gas. My pain is gone. I don't feel sick. I am grateful for this drug!"

Gassy (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "I'm only on day 3 of meds, dose is 2 x a day for the week. Must say I see an improvement already! I've had BV for months and no prescription helped. I've tried things for my flora, ph, baths, alkaline water, vitamin c, you name it. 3 days in, and I'm already happier. No odor, no discharge, finally !!! Relief from this awful embarrassment. Yes, the pill can taste bad, however I take a sip of milk BEFORE and after taking the dose. Hadn't the 1st time and it tastes awful yes, but the milk coats your throat nicely and haven't tasted it since doing that. As for side effects I definitely have a suppressed appetite but I'm not complaining. The benefits of taking the Flagyl much outweigh any negative I can see."

Thank goodness (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "To get rid of the bad taste I tried candy. Something sweet that dissolves slowly. That worked for me."

Nooki (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2016

For Diverticulitis "I went to the ER and was told I had Diverticulitis..I stayed in the hospital for 3 days...I started taking Cipro and Flagyl. Only side effect is diarrhea, hard to manage when you work fulltime...Medication does work...On meds for 1 week."

feeling well (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "Was prescribed this by my OB for a mild case of bv. Took one pill on a full stomach. It tasted awful and I immediately threw up everything I had eaten. Then I read the paperwork from the pharmacy and it said to ask your Dr if you're less than 12 weeks pregnant... I just hit 8 weeks today. Should I trust the Dr or just say no to flagyl?"

topregotofunction January 21, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "My doctor prescribed to me Flagyl because of diarrhea for 5 days and now that I'm on day 1 off this medication I feel extremely tired and I am having short breaths. My middle upper back feels weird too. Is this normal?"

monkeykatie0328 January 11, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "My NP put me on a regime of Flagyl 500mg twice a day for 7 days for urinary symptoms I was having although my cultures were negative. I followed the regime for 5 days before finally stopping. My side effects were severe and had me ready to go to the ER. Stomach and pelvic cramping, continual discharge, complete loss of appetite, extreme nausea when attempting to force myself to eat solid food and general nausea when not eating. I felt extremely fatigued, emotional and anxious. I was on the verge of several full blown panic attacks at work. I'm not sure if my symptoms are taken care of by Flagyl because the side effects are so much worse. Day 2 off of the drug and having the most severe side effects yet."

CCB8703 December 31, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "I slather the entire pill w toothpaste right before I take it & it goes down like a gel pill."

msin4 December 30, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "I only have 2 days left thank goodness. I'm taking 500mg twice a day. This medication is working very well but if I ever run into this problem again I will opt for a different medication only because I am constantly nauseous and have no appetite what so ever. It has been like my whole pregnancy in 5 days without actually being sick this time. I just have to keep reminding myself 2 more days then your done."

Sopi (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "After metrogel not working, I took Flagyl, 7 day treatment. I put it far back in my mouth, filled my mouth with water and swallow. It worked, I only slightly tasted it, but that was enough to know how awful it was. I always ate something with it, no empty stomach, and I never took doses less than 8 or more than 12 hours apart. I even set alarms at 4 am to take a dose. I wanted this to work! Only side effect was a bad yeast infection. I ate greek yogurt while on this. The smell went away quick, but I still had discharge. I had to wait 3 weeks to see results because I had to treat my yeast infection right after (7days) and got my period after that. But after it all, I can finally say, it worked! No more bv! Let's hope it's for good!"

Former BV Sufferer December 14, 2015

For Diverticulitis "I have to say that metronidazole is a horrible antibiotic as far as side effects go especially when one has to go to work. I experienced a lot of dizziness, migraines, muscle pain even in my heart, jittery and drowziness. I'm sure flagyl is the same. Next time I'm asking not to get this prescribed my doctor. Better yet take it off the shelf."

Kaiser patient (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2015

For Diverticulitis "Day 3 on Flagyl and Cipro. I thought I was having a heart attack. This stuff has horrid side effects. Discomfort in my chest and arm. Foggy headed feeling, dizziness, unbalanced, headache, very nauseous, metal taste, very blurry eyesight. No energy, at 55 it is not a good thing to feel this way, especially when you are overweight and out of shape. This is only day 3 I don't think I can take this stuff for 7 more days. They say the IV kind is worse though. Supposedly it's helping (I do feel less pain in my abdomen I think). IF I make it through this stuff I bet I will watch what I eat and make better choices in the future. I called the pharmacy and the doc and both said to stay on it, cipro 2X daily and flagyl 4X daily. Scary stuff."

Anonymous November 13, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "Everyone's body will react differently to meds, genetics. Just bc I had a bad experience, doesn't mean you will. Took w full stomach of bland food, 16 oz water, & took a daily probiotic. My experience w this med was horrible. I was unbearably anxious, rapid heartbeat, intense pelvic pressure, bad stomach cramping, nonstop nausea, vomiting, & explosive diarrhea. This was my 2nd time w this med,w the same bad reaction. I had to discontinue, both times. Took 3 days to start feeling better, 5-7 until normal. I'll never take this med again. I'm sure it's good for others, but nit me. I had cancer so I've taken a lot of meds. Never had to stop another med from side effects before, but I was scared to the point of going to the er. Never again."

Worst side effects I ever had. (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2015

For Diverticulitis "I cringe when I think about having to take cipro and flagyl. I'm nauseous, dizzy, light headed, ache, and foggy headed. Can't function and sleep all the time. I miss a weeks worth of work because I feel so bad."

Claudine27 October 27, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "After intercourse with my boyfriend (no condom), I developed a strange odour and unusual discharge. I knew it wasn't the same as my usual discharge. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with BV (I feel like I actually had trich but apparently it's hard to test for that so BV it was!) I took this medicine after trying to treat it with probiotic and vitamin c ovules to no avail. I did experience very mild nausea and softer stool as expected with antibiotics. By the end of the week wasn't sure it was 100% gone because After I finished the course of flagyl my period came and I was scared that the bv would come back as other ladies have experienced. Luckily, everything was still back to normal despite my period. So far I've been BV free for 3 weeks. It was clear that this infection was causes by sex and not by any internal imbalance so hopefully it will stay away. I learnt my lesson to always always wear condoms because this problem is gross to have. I also now take daily probitotics which is great support for our bodies. So glad its gone I pray that all you ladies will find a cure if this hasn't worked for you!"

Janebella5 October 17, 2015

For Diverticulitis "Seems effective. Second use with diverticulitis. Both times combined with Cipro. Had some side effects but not sure which medication they came from. Plus the diverticulitis itself causes gas, bloating, diarrhea, headache, nausea so how do you know what was meds and what was the illness? I experienced urine discoloration-slight rusty tone. I can say that the taste of the Flagyl pill is horrible. Also, after starting the meds I became over sensitive to smells and everything I ate or drank, even water, tasted disgusting. (Not so bad as I'm not supposed to be eating foods). I found that if I swallow the Flagyl with a sip of a smoothie (from supermarket) it slips down easy with no sticking and no bad taste."

metalmaiden (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "Is This Antibiotic responsible for the Huge Increase in Parkinsons Diseease?? There is a Condition that affects a Great Percentage of the Western World an Antibiotic Infection. In most cases this leads to Coeliac Food intolerances Through Disbiosis of the Large Intestine and the resultant Leaky Gut and Possibly Bowel Cancer in later life. However this version of Antibiotic can cause a problem with Trytophan production from the Large intestine and a resultant Dopamine Deficency - "

Frankinsense (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2015

For Dental Abscess "This medication could have saved my life! I had a root canal gone awry. The emergency dentist prescribed Clindamycin and Flagyl stat. Could not take the Flagyl as I had swallowed listerine (has alcohol in it). The next morning an Endodentist redid the root canal, and he said to take the Clindamycin only. Two days--and a LOT more pain and swelling later--I found myself at night with enormous swelling spreading to my upper mouth with more throbbing pain, With nothing to lose, I took one dose (500mg) of Flagyl. Within 2 hours I felt no pain--it was like someone took water out of a balloon. Thank goodness, I believe I had an odd bacterial infection. I'll take both antibiotics for the duration. No alcohol on Flagyl--bad side effects!"

lch1000 (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2015