User Reviews for Flagyl

Pseudomembranous Colitis 0 reviews 11 medications Not rated - Be the first
Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 50 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Flagyl reviews 93 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Flagyl

For Bacterial Infection "I went on a holiday to Thailand and developed a bloated stomach with wind and later diarrhea. The Dr prescribed Flagyl to kill and bugs in the intestine. We know that in these countries it is rather easy to get a bug from foods. After many trips I finally got a Bangkok Belly. After taking 400 mg 3 times a day I felt some relief the next day. Felt good. Then the next day I woke up feeling terrible. I had sneezing, runny nose, a feeling of tightness in the nose (harder to breathe), asthma, dry lips, rashes on the hands, body aches, lack of appetite, feeling lethargic and tired along with wind in the stomach along with slight nausea. Diarrhea almost gone. Most side effects are happening to me on the fourth day."

medicine_interest (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "Bread is the key. I've taken metronidazole 500mg 2 times a day for 7 days. This is my 9th set of themm seeing that I'm prone to BV. Every time I get them I get nauseous, sick headaches, stomach pains, weak and the taste is the worst thing in life. It always hits my tongue or back of throat. I never finsu a bottle I always leave about 3-4 pills because I can never finish and the symptoms clear after about 3 days. Well after my last visit that is why it always comes back you have to take the whole dosage. But it was such a hard pill I never could. Well this time I learned to wrap them in BREAD. Problem solver!!! I wrap it around bread, and just swollow it . its like u never took a pill :) no taste and no headaches no nasuea and I even take it without food sometimes. No symptoms what so ever ! This is a big help in my life. Because ive dealt with this for a year and a half back to back because I have a very sensitive body! Now if I ever need to take them everything is perfectly fine :) I recommend doing that , because I believe the taste is what causes the symptoms.....at least for me . -Kyri"

Kyr.oshay (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 21, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "I was prescribed this drug for BV, which like many other women, I did not even know I had until a doctor told me! I had absolutely no symptoms other than a slight odor. I was prescribed Flagyl for 7 days (two 500mg pills a day). I started noticing side effects immediately! I would have given anything to feel the drowsy feeling that most women on this website said the felt because for me it was the complete opposite! I could not sleep at all, I felt like my heart was racing and my skin was crawling, it also made me feel like I had Restless Leg Syndrome and extreme nausea. Luckily on the 4th night with no sleep my sister gave me some of her Ambein and I finally slept. Side effects aside, the drug works wonders, BV was indeed cleared up."

Momof3Girlz (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2015

For Trichomoniasis "This medicine works but, the taste is so bad the second day of being on it I started throwing up the sickness went away but, I'm still getting major headaches and I feel exhausted. I was percribed 30 of them for a colon infection due to not being able to go to the bathroom caused the infection spread into my stomach."

amgel26 June 26, 2015

For Diverticulitis "Prescribed Flagyl and Cipro for diverticulitis and both worked well. Hard to tease out which caused some of the side effects, however Flagyl seemed the milder of the two. Bad pill taste is no problem but the metallic taste tainted everything. So glad to hear others experienced heightened/changed sense of smell! I thought I was going crazy! No nausea with the Flagyl alone but about an hour after adding the cipro the exhaustion and nausea are awful. Also, dark urine and diarrhea which are unsettling but sound normal."

Gardengirl67 June 20, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "Very interesting comments. I have been taking the drug for 14 days and my doctor just prescribed another 2 week course. It is treating infection after experiencing sepsis during a colectomy. I have an ileostomy and my bag was bloating with severe gas to the point that it was causing leakage. OTC meds didn't help with gas. When I asked the doctor for a Rx to relieve the gas he said the Flagyl I would be taking would help. Since I started I haven't had a single gas episode and I even started back on carbonated water beverages. I haven't experienced the other issues I've been reading from others except for the taste and some fatigue. I can attest not to drink alcohol as I did have two drinks at my son's wedding and I hit a wall."

NoColon (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "I was perscribed this medicine to treat BV, I was told to take 5 400mg pills in one dose, this sounded wrong to me so I decided to have a look online and wished I never! I saw people sharing stories of really horrible side effects such as headache, dizzy spells and vomiting, being emetophobia this really worried me and I was debating if I'd even take the pills! Eventually decided to take them & as instructed, on a full stomach,with a large glass of water at night. They did taste a bit horrible but nothing as bad as I'd read, once I'd taken them the taste was gone ,I didn't have any dizziness or nausea, nothing, absolutely fine. I think some people have exaggerated their side effects majorly!"

LivingBeyond June 12, 2015

For Giardiasis "After many weeks of diarrhea, no appetite, crappy stomach feelings I went to the doctor to see if I might have Giardia, turns out from stool tests I have something called Blastocystis homini. Well Flagyl is also prescribed for this as well as Giardia...so I'm taking 500mg / 3 times a day for 10 days. I luckily haven't had to take any medicine for years and I have to say, this stuff reaally sucks. If you are feeling crappy while on this you are not the only one. I'm now on the 7th day and really looking forward to being done. Feeling like I can't function / think straight / general listlessness and anxiety like others say is my experience. Doesn't help that I'm generally paranoid about drugs...symptoms of the bug don't seem to be improving."

Caius (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "This medication worked wonders! I was a little skeptic about it from doing research but with anything you google search; if you dig around long enough you will eventually find something scary. I have had no diarrhea while on this medication as some of the complaints were mostly about diarrhea, nausea, headaches and cramps. Let me tell you, drink PLENTY of water! Don't drink soda, tea, punch etc I mean straight up water! I also picked up Kefir, it's a cultured low fat milk smoothie. It will do wonders for your stomach! I also took Zantac 150mg 30 mins before taking the metro pill. Only side effect I have had was a tender tongue under my chin. PS; if ur urine is dark (common complaint by most) u need more water people! hope this helps you!"

Boomsmithy June 7, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "3d day on flagyl and cipro after 6 days of diarrhea , found out I have colitus . Bowel infection due to a parasiite. Diarrhea finally stopped but the stomach sounds I have are hugely intense!!! And the horrible taste in my mouth is aweful. But hey! It's doing its job! Better than having the big D for 6 days in a row!"

speace May 29, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "I was prescribed the 7-day, 3 times a day dose for BV. As to symptoms clearing/persisting, I wouldn't know because I didn't notice anything amiss to begin with (no noticeable smell or discharge). The GYN recommended Flagyl after my annual appointment possibly because I was developing BV. I don't know if it's the medicine, but I developed the worst sore throat I've had in years. Congestion interspersed with runny nose, sinus pressure, throat pain, sneezing, coughing, raw nose, the works. It feels like a mix between strep throat and a sinus infection. I feel like my head is in a vice. The only other thing that's changed is darker urine than usual. I'm on my last pill and I started getting sick on day 4 of antibiotics."

Am C May 15, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "Nausea and vomiting for at least 6hrs"

stephs86 May 7, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis "I hate experiencing Bacterial Vaginosis ! The smell is horrible and makes u feel very uncomfortable around ppl. The discharge is disgusting like thick cottage cheese. "

Anonymous May 7, 2015

For Diverticulitis "This is my third day on flagyl and cipro, 3 flagyl and 2 cipro per day. The flagyl does not leave an awful taste in my mouth but some food smells awful...the herbs and flowers in my garden smell nice however. I also feel very anxious, but know now this is a possible side effect. It is a slow depressing recovery but flagyl worked for me before. I will be very careful what I eat from now on and I am going to try some liquid meals and eat gelatinous foods...chicken stew, avocados, beetroots, prunes....its very hard to maintain a healthy diet when you have to work."

diversional May 3, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "I can't express enough how much this pill has helped!! I'm taking it for BV. My symptoms were gone by day 3. I should add that I have severe allergies to MANY strands of antibiotics (I'm talking epi-pen type allergies). For me to be able to take this with almost zero side effects is amazing. I had a slight headache day 2 and I sort of feel like I'm always hungry, but I would take any side effect for 7 days over the smell of BV!!"

Someone;-) April 29, 2015

For Clostridial Infection "Took 500mg 3 times per day for 14 days to treat a c. diff infection. Within the 1st week the side effects kicked in. Horrible taste in my mouth 24/7 then followed by constant nausea, loss of appetite. I was so nauseous by the end that I couldn't get off the couch. Took it with meals, and I haven't had an alcoholic drink in 3 yrs. Chewed gum all the time to deal with the taste. Horrible side effects, but very effective. Was feeling normal again within a few days of starting it."

dramaqueen0408 (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "THE TASTE OF THIS MEDICINE IS SO BITTER. I HAve TO CHEW GUM AFTER, I HAD REALLY BAD STOMACH PAINS THEN DIARRHEA ALL NIGHT LONG."

T1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "Today is my 3rd day on this antibiotic. I had been experiencing an embarrassing discharge for a few months now. I repeatedly asked my doctor to test me for BV -- After 3 failed attempts to have my doctor test me for bacterial vaginosis, telling me that I was being overly sensitive - I finally sought a second opinion, and turns out, I did in fact have the infection. I am on my third day of the antibiotic (twice a day for seven days) and while I have noticed some uncomfortable side effects such as restlessness and night and mild queasiness - my symptoms are completely gone. No discharge, no embarrassing smell. Thank heavens! I will gladly be slightly uncomfortable for a week to rid myself of this disgusting, embarrassing infection."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2015

For Diverticulitis "First off, don't forget that a lot of people are probably doing excellent with little-to-no problems with this antibiotic. Sort of like you never really hear from happy customers, usually the unsatisfied ones. Also that everyone's body reacts differently. ...that being said, Holy Cow the nausea! Ugh... Stomach cramps and pretty much constant nausea all day today (day 2). Eventually had to leave work early. Pepto did not help. Going to try taking Nauzene with me to work tomorrow, see if it helps. (OTC nausea medication - a life saver in the past) Taking it with Cipro. Been on this combo before for my diverticulitis without so many stomach problems. Still a better option than the huge waves of pain from a flare-up."

Seattle Guy (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "Took flagyl to treat bv (I actually think it was trich) one doctor said it was trich one said it was bv. Don't expect to see results within 3 days 4 days or etc. everyone's different. Odour went away for me within 4-5 days and discharge never went away until the last pill! Even 3 days after I had clumps of discharge but it was just cleaning itself. I kept reading reviews and making myself paranoid and wanting to cry lol. This is my third time and it's finally gone. I also wash with vagisil ph balance. Btw Don't have sex and don't take medication that will counter act the medicine. (E.g. Tums for stomach relief or Tylenol/Advil)That is all! Hope this helped!"

KIJ March 23, 2015

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection "I was put on this drug, intravaneously, following emergency surgery for an anal abcess. When I awoke in the hospital several hours after surgery, the first reaction felt like hot, fluid fire being poured down my throat...burning my mouth, throat, esophagus, and stomach. After that, I immediately began havid horrid hallucinations...saw several dark, death shadows hovering over me and flying across the ceiling and walls. I immediately called the nurse and told her about the symtoms, and insisted that she remove all IVs (she wasn't very symphathetic). I finally slept for a couple of hours, but when I awoke, I had an awful metallic taste in my mouth that lasted for 2 weeks after I was released."

Boomer53 (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "I've been taking flagyl 500mg twice a day for 6 days now for bacterial vaginitis. I almost decided to give up on sx but I told my new bf that we have to be extra careful next time. Wash our hands like a surgeon. I'm not even sure I want to have oral sx anymore. I just don't think it is worth it. Is it possible not to get an infection with oral. I am at the home stretch. I have that metallic taste in my mouth and nausea. I'm also fatigued but I am a mother of two girls and it could be anything. My doctor actually prescribed this medication for 10 days but I'm only doing it for 7. My symptoms are gone and I just wanted to comment because I like reading other people's stories. It really helps me not feel so alone."

almost over March 9, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "Within 2 days my bacterial vaginitis completely cleared up. I don't take antibiotics or any sort of medicine often and this is why, no appetite and some other side effects but would rather take that over bacterial vaginitis!"

rahelle March 8, 2015

For Diverticulitis "In 2009 I was diagnosed with diverticulitis had lots of blood loss. Six years to the month I had a sudden flare up, high temp cramps. Instead of going to the doctor right away I took amoxicillin that I had. Started feeling better and went out to eat and bam cramping started. Went to see my doctor he put me on Cipro and Flagyl been on it for 4 days now the pain is gone still have bloating. The meds made my urine dark, and my head feels stuffed up. Burning in my eyes. Don't do what I did, go to your doctor. I'm making an appointment to see a specialist."

teaysboy March 5, 2015

For Diverticulitis "The side effects of taking Flagyl are not pleasant but they're worth it as this antibiotic certainly seems effective in relieving sporadic attacks of diverticulitis. I have been prescribed it along with Chephalexin for maximum efficacy. As stated elsewhere, do not go near alcohol during medication, ie: consider yourself on the wagon for the duration of treatment! Finding the right diet (which for me includes no wheat) seems critical in controlling the disease."

gutman (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2015