User Reviews for Flagyl

Learn more about Flagyl.

Flagyl Review Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 20 medications used in the treatment of Diverticulitis.

Reviews for Flagyl to treat Diverticulitis

"Prescribed Flagyl and Cipro for diverticulitis and both worked well. Hard to tease out which caused some of the side effects, however Flagyl seemed the milder of the two. Bad pill taste is no problem but the metallic taste tainted everything. So glad to hear others experienced heightened/changed sense of smell! I thought I was going crazy! No nausea with the Flagyl alone but about an hour after adding the cipro the exhaustion and nausea are awful. Also, dark urine and diarrhea which are unsettling but sound normal."

Gardengirl67 June 20, 2015

"This is my third day on flagyl and cipro, 3 flagyl and 2 cipro per day. The flagyl does not leave an awful taste in my mouth but some food smells awful...the herbs and flowers in my garden smell nice however. I also feel very anxious, but know now this is a possible side effect. It is a slow depressing recovery but flagyl worked for me before. I will be very careful what I eat from now on and I am going to try some liquid meals and eat gelatinous foods...chicken stew, avocados, beetroots, prunes....its very hard to maintain a healthy diet when you have to work."

diversional May 3, 2015

"First off, don't forget that a lot of people are probably doing excellent with little-to-no problems with this antibiotic. Sort of like you never really hear from happy customers, usually the unsatisfied ones. Also that everyone's body reacts differently. ...that being said, Holy Cow the nausea! Ugh... Stomach cramps and pretty much constant nausea all day today (day 2). Eventually had to leave work early. Pepto did not help. Going to try taking Nauzene with me to work tomorrow, see if it helps. (OTC nausea medication - a life saver in the past) Taking it with Cipro. Been on this combo before for my diverticulitis without so many stomach problems. Still a better option than the huge waves of pain from a flare-up."

Seattle Guy (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2015

"In 2009 I was diagnosed with diverticulitis had lots of blood loss. Six years to the month I had a sudden flare up, high temp cramps. Instead of going to the doctor right away I took amoxicillin that I had. Started feeling better and went out to eat and bam cramping started. Went to see my doctor he put me on Cipro and Flagyl been on it for 4 days now the pain is gone still have bloating. The meds made my urine dark, and my head feels stuffed up. Burning in my eyes. Don't do what I did, go to your doctor. I'm making an appointment to see a specialist."

teaysboy March 5, 2015

"The side effects of taking Flagyl are not pleasant but they're worth it as this antibiotic certainly seems effective in relieving sporadic attacks of diverticulitis. I have been prescribed it along with Chephalexin for maximum efficacy. As stated elsewhere, do not go near alcohol during medication, ie: consider yourself on the wagon for the duration of treatment! Finding the right diet (which for me includes no wheat) seems critical in controlling the disease."

gutman (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2015

"Flagyl leaves a bad taste in my mouth after a couple of days, makes my urine smell bad, and causes nausea (so get some anti nausea meds along with it). That being said - it does the job very well. Noticeable improvement within 1--3 days."

Diverticulitis boy (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2014

"I ended up in the ER with diverticulitis and was given Cipro and Flagyl. Yes the taste is bitter and things don't taste so good. However, despite the taste, I have gotten significantly better with the two medicines and that is the main thing for me. As with any medicines some of us will experience different side effects if any, but if this is one of them, this is very minor. I did not experience the nausea or a lot of other ones I read about with these medicines."

lonski November 9, 2014

"Had my first flare with diverticulitis 4 months ago, ended up in the emergency room. Prescribed Bactrim and Flagyl and four days bed rest. Pain subsided after 2 days on the meds, but felt pretty crummy for the next week, and had to deal with loss of taste and bad taste in my mouth. Didn't attribute feeling so yucky with the meds. Had a second milder diverticulitis flare up four days ago. Went to the doc 2 days ago and I'm back on Bactrim and Flagyl. Came back to work today and I am SO NAUSEOUS! The bad taste in my mouth has returned, and I really don't feel well at all. I really DO NOT want to end up where I was last Jan when I went to the emergency room - so I'm still taking the Flagyl. Doc gave me Zofran for the nausea, it helps some."

ammulle (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2014

"Took Flagyl and Cipro together - felt worse than I did before - all the side effects everyone is mentioning. However, the alternative - raging infection - not really an option. Taking my diet seriously moving forward."

Ms.Aerie January 25, 2014

"It seems I've had Experiences that a lot of these other people do with feeling worse than I did before on these medications with the Cipro and Flagyl and I'm nauseous I'm dizzy I have foggy brain I can't eat the taste is horrible and I feel like I can't function. I've been On this for the second time in a year and it's doing the same thing same side effects. I don't like feeling this way at all. I can't drive or go to work. I've been on it for 4 days out of 10 and its Christmas! My pain has subsided though."

Lalalinda December 23, 2013

"Used both Flagyl and Cipro. Also I found that after 7 days the color of my urine did not look right, freaked out and did some calling around to pharmacist, only to find out said yes this is a side effect although not real common, of course I would be the odd ball."

Wild kite (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2013

"Don't drink alcohol while on this. I had 1 light beer (approx 0.9 standard drinks) and felt completely ill. Also ironic that you should take this pill after eating, though with acute diverticulitis you shouldn't eat at all. I found drinks like Up & Go (breakfast drink) were a good option. Medication does work but tastes horrible."

Josh888 October 6, 2013

"I have been taking Flagyl and Cipro for Diverticulitis and it seems to be helping. After my stay in the hospital where the doctor put me on a food rest for several days, including IV antibiotics he prescribed these two meds. There are some issues I have had taking them such as low energy level, limited concentration when getting tired, but most of all nausea. I recommend if you are going to be taking either or both of these meds always take with plenty of food (meal time not just a snack), don't plan on doing too much (you won't have the energy), and ask your Doctor for a as needed prescription of a nausea medicine just in case you need it. I have needed something for nausea at least once daily since on the medicine."

Anonymous August 11, 2013

"The taste of Flagyl is simply abominable. It should be encapsulated. Been taking it a week with CIPRO. Stomach grumblings sound like a flatulent trombone lasting for 10-seconds at a stretch. "

Glunk March 17, 2013

"After several years of diverticulitis and some very severe attacks including bleeding, I gave in and medicated with Flagyl. I only took 200mg twice a day and my symptoms disappeared, relatively no side effects other than dry mouth. I was vigilant with diet and NO ALCOHOL! Feel great but worry about re-occurrence."

suzyandre (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2012

"Flagyl took away all of my energy for 23 hours each day for the first few days. I could not even watch TV. I had almost constant stomach pain. Additional stomach pain at bowel movements. I did a lot of sleeping every day. I also had a headache. I have been off Flagyl for 11 days now and I still have some stomach pain."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2012

"This med was prescribed along with Cipro for diverticulitis. The side effects were strong. I felt dizzy, my balance was off when walking, drowsiness, general fuzzy headed feeling. When my pain subsided after 3 days, I stopped taking it but continued the Cipro. I was taking 500mg 3 times a day of the Flagyl. Doc wants me to continue taking at least 1 per day, but can't drive or function so not going to continue."

Anonymous April 17, 2012

"The taste it leaves in your mouth is horrible, but I have been on it along with Cipro since Saturday and as of this morning could tell a big difference in how I feel. The soreness in my lower stomach is almost gone and until today it has been unbearable. It leaves a metallic taste in your mouth, takes away your appetite and made me feel nauseous but I would take it again if I had another flare up with the Diverticulitis it seems to help."

Nonnative April 11, 2012

"I have taken this medicine once before and it made me have flu like symptoms, diarrhea, terrible taste in my mouth in general feel awful when I am on this. I agree with person above almost worse than having the pain from diverticulitis. I am also taking Cipro so no dairy products, antacids tablets. Basically I try to force my self to eat and drink and sleep through the worst of the systems. This is miserable and depressing. As soon as I can I plan to try to eat the recommended about of Fiber 25-30 grams. I never want to have diverticulitis again twice in 5 months is to much. I have 1 more week of meds, feels like a life time. "

Anonymous February 27, 2012

"I was alergic. Got very irritable and somewhat confused. Stopped it right away. Took Cipro instead."

Hellotheremate December 20, 2011

"While I'm confident Flagyl is working I have suffered some severe side effects, one of which is unlisted. I believe it is working because my abdominal pain has significantly decreased since being diagnosed with diverticulitis about 1 week ago. I am also taking Cipro. The reported side effect of having a metallic taste is very understated! Not only do I have an AWFUL paint/chemical taste constantly in my mouth, but my sense of smell is on overdrive! This has contributed significantly to my loss of appetite, nausea, and in many cases my inability to function. I threw away my sheets because I couldn't sleep; I carry around room deodorizer with me because whenever I walk into a room I gag due to the smells - that are only overwhelming to me."

mackyd October 20, 2011

"I have been taking this for almost a week for a diverticulitis flare up and IF this ever happens again I will ask if there is something else I can take. I agree I think this has made me sicker than I originally was. General listlessness, very dizzy, weird hunger pangs and foods don't taste good or the same as they did. Headaches! Looking forward to the last dose. A nurse friend suggested eating Activia yogurt while taking this to help with stomach problems."

mtlmstr May 14, 2011

"I was told not to use drink alcohol with Flagyl, of course, but I also found I cannot use Purell (ethanol-based) or isopropyl rubbing alcohol with it. These led to terrible stomach pain and headache. One pharmacist told me this couldn't happen, not enough alcohol would get in, but another said Yes, it happens, and some people even have a reaction to alcohol in the slight fumes you get while pumping gasoline that includes alcohol. When I avoid Purell and isopropyl, I don't get those severe stomach pains."

Anonymous March 22, 2011

"I took Flagyl several times before I had surgery to remove part of my colon. It was quickly effective every time I took it. I had no negative side effects. The worst was a bad taste in my mouth. Would take again if needed."

Brodied June 18, 2010

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Diverticulitis