User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

Learn more about Metoprolol.

Metoprolol Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 257 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Metoprolol to treat High Blood Pressure

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "After having a constant heart rate of 110/20 even when resting, occasional heart palpitations, anxiety, and high blood pressure, I was put on Metoprolol success ER 25 mgs, that I half to 12.5mgs. It's been wonderful! I am so much more relaxed, my heart rate stays around 75 to 80. Blood Pressure stays in a normal range. Love it! I'm female, 47, 5 2` ( 135lbs )"

Lilac lover January 18, 2016

"Side effects: swollen ankles, constant cough, headache. Lowers blood pressure"

Lea b (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2016

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "Been on this drug for years to slow heart due to atrial fib. Works very well. No complaints."

Hemi13 October 23, 2015

"Taking 25 mg extended release daily around noon and also amlodopine besylate in AM. Assists in lowering blood pressure from around 140/80 to around 130/70. It does keep my heart rate down so when I do exercise I can actually go for longer because my inappropriate sinus tachycardia is minimized. I was originally prescribed this to assist in outbursts of physiologically induced sinus tachycardia of which I've not had since starting metoprolol."

Kiwidev (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2015

"I am a 50 year old fit, active and otherwise healthy female who is 5'6" and weights 140 pounds. My doctor prescribed 25 mg of metoprolol for me and I started taking it in February of this year (2015). My blood pressure was lowered from 140/90 to 125/82, so it DOES work in that respect. I had no side effects at ALL from this until the first week of June. Today is July 22nd. The first week of June, I was recovering from a sore throat and cough and then three weeks later, I realized that I was STILL hoarse and my voice was cracking. It is STILL like that as of today. Indeed, one of the rare side effects is hoarseness! I called my doctor today and he switched me to Amlopidine."

SuziQ1965 July 22, 2015

"When it gets to the point that when you go to sit on the toilet you almost miss it and then almost fall off of it for being dizzy, it is time to stop. After coming here I know why now. i switched myself back to coreg just now (had some left) and will call the doctor Mon AM"

Jlfonz July 18, 2015

"I have been taking Metoprolol for about 14 years and have not had any side effects."

Budd Hicks (taken for 10 years or more) June 27, 2015

"My Mother has been taking Metoprolol 50mg for LOW blood pressure and under active thyroid for many years. She is 86 yrs old. She is having many problems with just about all side affects. She was given it for irregular heartbeat.Was this the wrong medicine for her?"

pinklilly63 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 5, 2015

"Toprol xl (50 mg) works great keeping my blood pressure down but gained about 20lbs and get very fatigued! Depressing :("

Leeker (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 20, 2015

"Taken Metoprolol 1/2 25mg twice a day for 2 month for hypertension. Has lowered my BP, but, I have lower back pain, extreme fatigue, get light headed when doing anything. I don't know how anyone could exercise while taking this. I get winded walking from the car to the store, and gaining weight because of it."

peri46 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2015

"Was on 100mg for 5 yrs (+10mg Lisinopril) and my BP was 110/70, so it worked in lowering it from 150+something. However, I had soul-crushing fatigue and a foggy brain and couldn't get thru the day, it seriously affected my life. I had trouble regulating my body temperature and was pretty miserable. My heart beat out of my chest when I laid on my left side. I thought these side effects were the result of an acute illness that ended w/ me having HBP, but it turns out they were from Metoprolol. My doc switched me to Bystolic 5mg and I felt better within a couple days! Metoprolol worked to lower my BP, but I didn't like the side effects."

nckhella (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 2, 2015

"I am a 25 year old female diagnosed with idiopathic hypertension and tachycardia. Was switched recently switched to 50mg metoprolol by my GP. Felt fine first four days and by fifth day started to experience vivid dreams, extreme anxiety after waking from sleep, and then started developing severe panic attacks and constant anxiousness. Was immediately taken off this medication and placed on bystolic 5mg. It has been 5 days since being taken off the medication and I am slowly losing sensation of anxiety but have some residual affects that I feel will take me a while to shake. It has been an incredibly traumatic experience. I do not recommend a beta blocker that crosses the blood brain barrier if it is not necessary."

LittleDeePurrez April 27, 2015

"Been on metaprolol for about 3 years. Yes its an effective blood pressure lower but as a woman i have absolutely no sex drive, has gain about 30 pounds and cannot get rid of it. I also experience dizzy spells and lightheaded all the time. Don't know what to do!"

Ra'Chelle (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 19, 2015

"I took way too much nasal decongestant.... my blood pressure and heart rate was shooting through the roof and I could not sleep at all for 3days, so the doctor put me on 25mg once a day and wow! what a diff! like night and day, calm anxiety too, but I have trouble sleeping sometimes"

pablochako April 7, 2015

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "Worked fine in lowering and stabilizing blood pressure, however I switched off it because of sexual side effects. Fatigue, which is a problem for many, was no problem for me."

captkrash (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 20, 2015

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol): "This medication does keep my hypertension under control and also seems to effect my heart rate by lowering it by an average of 15--20 bpm. I take other medications that tend to raise my heart rate, so this medication is useful for me, in that regard. I have found that this medication is very sensitive to dosing propery. I have found that if I miss only a couple of doses, my blood pressure and heart rate start to increase."

captnjp61 January 14, 2015

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Initially received this at Urgent Care because I couldn't get into my doctor when my blood pressure was high at a employer mandated check. I was on it 3 weeks, 2 pills a day at 25 mg each. It brought the BP down by about 20 points. The side effects were cold feet mid morning, trouble sleeping, and the dosage did not last a full 12 hours. I could feel the heart slow down at about 1 hour after medicating and then start to speed up again at about 9 hours. I had to be careful not to take it close to bedtime because it made me feel hyper about 2-3 hours after the dose. Upon reflection, these side effects were less than some of the other stuff I've taken since."

Bobby Brown (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2015

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): "A health care professional and a person who takes this medication ."

Redtini (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 30, 2014

Lopressor (metoprolol): "I took Lopressor for 24 years it worked very well in lowering my blood pressure and even calming my anxiety but lately it doesn't work on me very well as before, I guess the doctor will change it."

Good experience June 24, 2014

"After using metoprolol for 2 months not only did my blood pressure not go down but I had side effects that warranted my discontinuing it. I developed a pervasive cough and a sensation as if I had fluid in my lungs."

jpchiesa (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2014

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Metoprolol ER 25MG for 10 months. It has worked great for my blood pressure and have had no migraines or headaches. I do get really tired in the afternoon, which I never use to. The worst part is I have gained 22 lb. and nothing I do reduces the weight. I work out 4 times a week, really watch what I eat and nothing helps."

TeriDe April 2, 2014

133 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have taken Metroprolol (Beta Blocker) for years for high blood pressure caused by renal FMD. The negative side effect was primarily on cognitive function plus cold hands and feet. My short term memory really became poor. i experimented by taking myself off it for a few weeks and then putting myself back on it. I was able to measure a clear difference in cognitive function. I decided to refuse to take any more Metroprolol and my doctor found me Felodipine which is fine."

Hesperidean April 1, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"The medicine works great for high blood pressure, BUT.... I'm a college student in school for criminal justice. Ever since taking this medication I can't seem to keep my eyes open to study and I can't focus on course material. Where as I was so motivated until metroprolol."

Agirlandadream (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2014

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): "Took this for migraines and seemed to work great for months. I had about a three month stretch when I noticed I had a constant low grade fever, achey and flu like symptoms. After much research determined it was due to the beta blocker. Went off them and felt my old self again."

kaelem January 20, 2014

"I have most of all the expierances that the gentleman here have/had. I am not having violent dreams, just wierd and very vivid. I have been on it it for 3 years and like some, since on it, I have not had relations with wife, I have also gained ALOT of weight. I have gone from a size 32-34 pants to a 50-52 pants. No matter what I do, whether it be diet or exercise or both, my weight keeps climbing. My emotions are all over the place. "

Little Mikester (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 11, 2014

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 Next