User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

Learn more about Metoprolol.

Metoprolol review summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 261 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Metoprolol to treat High Blood Pressure

Review by Good experience:

Lopressor (metoprolol): I took Lopressor for 24 years it worked very well in lowering my blood pressure and even calming my anxiety but lately it doesn't work on me very well as before, I guess the doctor will change it.

June 24, 2014 7:44 PM

Review by jpchiesa (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After using metoprolol for 2 months not only did my blood pressure not go down but I had side effects that warranted my discontinuing it. I developed a pervasive cough and a sensation as if I had fluid in my lungs.

April 5, 2014 2:15 AM

Review by TeriDe:

I have been on Metoprolol ER 25MG for 10 months. It has worked great for my blood pressure and have had no migraines or headaches. I do get really tired in the afternoon, which I never use to. The worst part is I have gained 22 lb. and nothing I do reduces the weight. I work out 4 times a week, really watch what I eat and nothing helps.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 2, 2014 3:53 PM

Review by Hesperidean:

I have taken Metroprolol (Beta Blocker) for years for high blood pressure caused by renal FMD. The negative side effect was primarily on cognitive function plus cold hands and feet. My short term memory really became poor. i experimented by taking myself off it for a few weeks and then putting myself back on it. I was able to measure a clear difference in cognitive function. I decided to refuse to take any more Metroprolol and my doctor found me Felodipine which is fine.

April 1, 2014 5:33 AM

Review by Agirlandadream (taken for 1 to 6 months):

The medicine works great for high blood pressure, BUT.... I'm a college student in school for criminal justice. Ever since taking this medication I can't seem to keep my eyes open to study and I can't focus on course material. Where as I was so motivated until metroprolol.

March 7, 2014 2:19 PM

Review by kaelem:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): Took this for migraines and seemed to work great for months. I had about a three month stretch when I noticed I had a constant low grade fever, achey and flu like symptoms. After much research determined it was due to the beta blocker. Went off them and felt my old self again.

January 20, 2014 3:08 PM

Review by Little Mikester (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have most of all the expierances that the gentleman here have/had. I am not having violent dreams, just wierd and very vivid. I have been on it it for 3 years and like some, since on it, I have not had relations with wife, I have also gained ALOT of weight. I have gone from a size 32-34 pants to a 50-52 pants. No matter what I do, whether it be diet or exercise or both, my weight keeps climbing. My emotions are all over the place.

January 11, 2014 11:31 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): I needed to take this due to another medication I was taking. Never needed to be on anything else. Very happy with results

December 15, 2013 8:41 PM

Review by JenniferLynn1313:

I went to the hospital with a 150 resting heart rate freaked me out! After many tests no one could find anything wrong with my heart I did have high blood pressure a higher heart rate and I have SEVERE anxiety. They started me on 25 mg twice a day in the hospital and it did start to help with my heart rate and made me less anxious and when I finally went home I checked my blood pressure as well and it too was doing well..My only thing is I have vivid nightmares that are scary as hell and I just don't understand.

September 4, 2013 3:34 PM

Review by rbh:

Lopressor (metoprolol): Take pill every 12 hours. Works fine for me. Requested a beta-blocker because of the anti stage-fright effects. No more 'adrenaline dumps' in stressful situations. Helps me tremendously in my work and social interactions.

August 28, 2013 4:32 PM

Review by dauna (taken for less than 1 month):

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): Only took for 1 week, made me incredibly tired, could not function.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 6, 2013 12:55 PM

Review by JJ Seaton (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): I have been taking Toprol-XL for about 8 years now. I started at 10mg and then 50mg and now at 100mg. It has brought my Blood Pressure under control - was 150 /80 - now at 130 /70 . Also brought down my Heart Rate, which was 88 resting to 60 resting. I am a light smoker who has asthma/mild COPD, metoprolol has shown no effect on these conditions as my PF and FEv1 has not changed . PROS: Reduced Blood Pressure to normal Reduced anxiety levels. CONS: Tired (mild), weight gain (mild) Erectile dysfunction (mild), Heart skipping a beat (occasional only and mild).

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2013 1:16 PM

Review by scared of this drug (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After taking this medicine for a week or two I experienced numbness (lack of blood flow) to my fingers. Usually one or two fingers. Also happens with my toes. I have really high blood pressure and it does lower it but the numbness which usually lasts about 30 minutes, but returns throughout the day, is scary. Also it gives me terrible nightmares, very violent. I'll wake up wondering how I could even have such terrible dreams. It also makes me tired. I've stopped it several times and each time the bad symptoms go away completely in about 2 days. I'm going to have to stop taking it for good, the nightmares are just too terrible.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 6, 2013 4:30 PM

Review by April2013 (taken for less than 1 month):

This is my first experience with blood pressure medicine and it has left me scared to death. I took Metoprolol 50mg once in the evening for two weeks...I can honestly say, it was terrible. I was so tired that I could almost not make it through the days, but what was even worse was the depression and terrible violent nightmares...they were so vivid and they still upset me when I think about them. My doctor has switched me to Amlodipine 5mg, 1x day. It has been over two weeks and I am too scared to take it, but I know I need to do something. I am at such a loss about what to do.

February 9, 2013 12:58 AM

Review by sassy1974:

Taking metoprolol for about 6 months now started out at 175 pounds and up to 196. Can't lose the weight for nothing. Medicine works great for my blood pressure but my weight gain is awful.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 3, 2013 10:45 AM

Review by RNJennRN:

To those who commented that they cut their dose of XL or ER or CR, you cannot cut extended release or controlled release in half. This is dangerous. Instead call your doctor and have the dose changed. Extended release cut in half enters your blood stream way to fast and can cause serious issues.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2013 11:44 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Lopressor (metoprolol): This medicine has done an excellent job with lowering my blood pressure. However, I have been having dry eyes and gas. On the positive side, this medicine is also good for anxiety!

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2012 10:40 PM

Review by rough & ready (taken for 10 years or more):

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): I have been taking TOPROL XL 100MG for at least 9 yrs, during that time I tried the METOPROLOL and it did not control my blood pressure, the Toprol XL has worked great without side effects, however I have reduced my salt intake even to the extent of using red pepper on my eggs in the morning. I took it on myself to reduce my dosage of TOPROL XL cutting it in half because my pressure was checking much lower and I did so for about two week prior to a Doctors appointment keeping a record of checks three to four times a day and gave it to my Dr. and he ran a EKG, then reduced my dosage in half and I'm checking out fine at around 120/70/67 so suggest check your salt intake.

September 25, 2012 3:19 PM

Review by daycord (taken for 2 to 5 years):

As I'm reading the posts I'm wondering. Am I the only one on this medicine who is experiencing undesirable sexual side effects? Excuse my language, but I haven't had "morning wood" since I been put on this medicine 3 years ago. Its beyond frustrating. It takes an act of congress to get an erection, and even when I do somehow get erections, they are very brief and not what it once was. Almost like it has shrunk. Once Again I apologize for my language, but I'm reading all the post and I'm wondering am I the only one experiencing this?

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2012 8:32 PM

Review by uppercase (taken for 10 years or more):

Been taking this medicine many yrs. I have experienced weight gain, short of breath in exercise, and now I am sweating "pink" which is ruining my clothing. It does not wash out even after using laundry "spot: cleaning. Anyone else experience this?

June 15, 2012 1:38 PM

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): Heart was missing a beat while working out. Saw my Doc and after an EKG and a slightly elevated blood pressure was put on 25mg which went to 100mg over a period of 3 yrs. Kept BP at home and was fine. Every time at the Doctor's it was like 150/90 never understood this. Last time was placed on Lisinopril, this kicked my butt, dizziness, ear ringing, dry cough. Said heck with it and found a Cardiologist. He took me off the Ace Inhibitor and put me on Norvasc 10mg, will see how it works.

March 24, 2012 8:45 PM

I have been taking Metoprolol tartrate for 15 years and it has probably saved my life. I take 100mg twice a day with little or no side effects. I feel great while using this medicine. If I miss a dose, I get serious tachycardia and cannot do physical work. When using, I am a conditioned athlete, lift weights, sprints, etc. and feel healthy. No clicks, no PVC's.

March 5, 2012 8:23 PM

Review by bud2411:

Perfect solution for my high blood pressure.

January 16, 2012 9:33 PM

Review by ruru 60:

I just started taking Metoprolol 25 mg a day and its side effects are awful. I experienced hair loss, severe dizziness, insomnia, flu like symptoms, fatigue and a feeling of near fainting. I will go back to the doctor to have her halve the dosage.

November 7, 2011 10:59 PM

I have been on some form of metoprolol for seven years. It was actually my first prescribed medication at 28. I never even thought about side effects as being the problems I was experiencing; thought there was always something else that the Doctor's was overlooking. Now that I have read these comments, I suffer from most of the common ones; tiredness, weakness, trouble losing weight, strange dreams, increased sweating, difficulty breathing, etc. Have had numerous tests off and on for the last two years, and nothing is ever found. I have also since then started taking clonidine and amlodipine. Some of these symptoms are probably drug interactions. I noticed a chaotic heartbeat when clonidine was added to the medicines. It has gotten worse for the past two years.

October 29, 2011 10:41 PM