Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Apri

Learn more about Apri.

Apri review summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Apri to treat Birth Control

Review by SamanthaAshley (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have recently switched to Apri28 from having tried a handful before it. I have been on Yasmin for the past 3 and a half years. Nothing really affected me except that I felt I was getting really moody and would snap for no reason, and I was always a happy person before. So naturally, I wanted a change. I waited a month after coming off of it and my back and forehead started to break out which I NEVER had, even before Yasmin so I started taking Apri right away. Honestly, it took a couple weeks for my body to adjust but I am clear once again, I feel like myself FINALLY! And I haven't had any problems. My left leg was a little tingly at times after a week or two, but that is gone.. even after only 2 months I know it was a good choice for me.

September 7, 2013 10:29 PM

Review by Ccccc1234cc:

I have been taking this pill for several years. My periods went from being extremely heavy for unhealthy lengths of time which occurred frequently (heavy 2-4 week periods every 2 weeks or so) to having regular periods all around. They only last for 4 days and are much lighter compared to what i was experiencing before but are still slightly heavy. It has cleared my acne almost completely but my cup size has gone from a D to a DDD (I am not a big girl so this was quite extreme and I would say the only side effect that has bothered me. I experience no pain though). Weight gain is A LOT easier but like anything it can be controlled with extra effort. I am quite happy for the most part.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2013 1:27 AM

Review by Christies (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am thrilled with Apri! I decided to try birth control again because of terrible pelvic pain probably due to my polycystic ovarian syndrome. Since starting Apri the pain is gone, completely! I was to the point where I was going to opt for laparoscopy just to find a reason and hopefully a cure for the pain but my doctor convinced me to give this a try and I'm glad I did! Another bonus is that it helps with my depression and daily fatigue which was something I wasn't expecting. Add in the fact that I can take the active pills for multiple months straight means I'm feeling a thousand times more energetic than I did before Apri. But when I do switch to the white placebo pills I feel awful again for that week. Light periods too! Works for me.

August 21, 2013 9:09 PM

Review by Holls:

I've been on Apri for about 2 weeks now. The only side effect I've noticed has been waking up at night or falling asleep at night extremely nauseous, but I assume that's normal because my body is adjusting to the pill. Also, for just being two week I've noticed my boobs are getting somewhat bigger. I'm not complaining though. Lets see how the next couple of months go.

August 16, 2013 1:24 PM

Review by s0ngBird:

I have been on this birth control for almost 10 years. It has cleared up my acne, made my periods lighter, and my breasts went from a size B to a size C. The only negative effect is that it may have made my eyes even drier than they already are. When I tried to stop using Apri, just to see how my body would react because I didn't want to be taking medicine for no reason, all my acne on my face came back and I even had acne on my chest and my back, which I had never had before. I am kind of afraid to ever stop taking it for that reason.

August 1, 2013 2:30 PM

Review by decader (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Apri for about 12 years now. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I have gained weight in the last year, I wasn't sure if it was caused by the birth control, so I went off of it for about 6 months. Nothing changed, it's obviously just my diet and lack of exercise. My OBGYN said that being on this pill has significantly reduced my risk of breast cancer, and I have much more regular periods and less cramping.

July 30, 2013 4:56 PM

Review by jurn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I guess it does what it's supposed to, prevents pregnancy! I have been on it for 2 months and the weight gain in my belly is ridiculous! I've gained 5 pounds. My mood is all whacked out. I plan on quitting.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2013 9:26 AM

Review by Allie W:

I've been on April for about three years now and it has been great. I've never had any problems with it...it regulated my period and also kept it really light. The only thing I've noticed is that it made me gain a few pounds. Other than that, it's worked well. The best part...I'm not pregnant. It has kept my acne under control as well. Overall it has a few side effects but I recommend it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2013 2:01 PM

Review by Amber31322:

It cleared my oily skin and acne, but my hunger was out of control and my mood swings were awful. I had no desire at all for sex anymore and that can really put a damper on a new marriage.

July 7, 2013 1:24 AM

Review by eai36 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Apri was the very first birth control pill prescribed to me. My skin cleared up to the point of being a little dry and my periods were light and regular. However, I started passing large clots during the placebo week, which were very painful. I also gained about 5-7 pounds and I could have been imagining it, but I thought my legs started feeling funny at night. I stopped taking this pill after 4 months and am now on a different brand I am very happy with.

June 2, 2013 8:16 PM

Review by cyberlily4:

I'm glad to have read these reviews, because now I know why I'm hungry all the time! I think about food all the time. I have never been that way. I'm a healthy eater and gym junkie. So, I have gained weight, lost any sex drive (but I'm not active anyway), and am a little irritable. But besides that, I have no other problems. I'm using it for surrogacy, so they have me on my second pack in a row to skip my period which worked perfectly. The last pill did not stop it. Why cant I be one of the people who have lost weight on it?

May 16, 2013 12:32 PM

Review by Love Elle:

My experience with Apri has been great. I have been on it for about 5 years now. I do not get any of the side effects - no headaches, mood swings, weight gain, etc. I was recommended by 2 doctors to take 4 x 21 packs of Apri in a row, totaling to 3 months of birth control then stopping for a week to get my period. So this means that you only get your periods 4 times a year. This causes no health risks at all (unless you take it longer than 3 months in a row) and I have been doing this for 3 years with no side effects at all. I have spoken to 4 doctors about this and none of them disagreed with this method. I was told to try it and if it worked for me to definitely keep doing it. *May not be for everyone so please consult your doctor first*.

May 14, 2013 3:34 PM

Review by ______:

This birth control pill is awesome. It made my periods even lighter than they were before, I get no pimples, I've lost 15 pounds, my breasts went from a B to a D, and emotionally I feel the same as I did before it. I would highly recommend it.

April 7, 2013 5:51 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I started originally on Tri-Sprintec but after a few days I couldn't handle the cramps, bloating and spotting all the time. I call my doctor and she prescribed Apri. After seeing all the reviews I felt that this was a better choice then the Tri-Sprintec pill. Since Apri had better reviews then Tri, everyone's body is different but So far it has worked great no side effect's I LOVE IT.

March 29, 2013 12:24 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This pill is a dream! I was so worried to go on birth control, due to all the scary side effects I always here about! After two months, I have had none. I had really bad periods that would leave me very sick for days. I only get very light cramping right before my period starts. I haven't gained any weight. I actually lost weight around my waist, and I am already very petite to begin with. My cup size went up to a C from a B, and my light acne has become almost non-existent. I was lucky to find a pill that worked for me right off of the bat!

February 26, 2013 3:02 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have taken it for about a year and I no longer have cramps, I have lost weight, and my pimples have vanished. My friend however took it and got light headed. This is not for everyone but it works for me and I am not pregnant.

February 13, 2013 1:25 AM

Review by Kaattee:

I started Apri five months ago. I have always suffered with terrible ovarian cysts, and now they're starting to finally decrease. I have lost twenty pounds while I've been taking the pills, without changing my diet or exercise. I'm not pregnant, nor have I ever been. My sex drive is the same, but I can't eat anymore. Small meals twice a day that has absolutely no dairy in them are all my stomach can handle now. I have never had a problem with dairy before Apri. I also get terrible headaches and am constantly tired. There are positive and negatives to this pill.

January 23, 2013 2:36 PM

Before I start my period, I get cramps, acne and I'm very moody on this pill. My sex drive is usually very high. This is the only pill I've ever taken so I don't have much to compare it to but I don't find it that bad.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2013 10:15 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

When I first started on Apri, it made me nauseous in the mornings. That went away, but around the third month of use, I got really depressed moods for no particular reason and had random bouts of crying. That went away when I stopped taking it. It worked for its intended purposes, but it wasn't right for me.

January 9, 2013 5:26 PM

This birth control was not good. I gained weight all in my stomach and had horrible horrible bloating before my period for about 3 days. It was as if I was 4 months pregnant - none of my clothes fit and I'd feel too uncomfortable to sit in a chair. Acne was more worse than it has ever been.

December 9, 2012 9:41 PM

I have tried all other formulations of birth control pills without success. The only way I can describe it is that I feel clinically insane when taking birth control pills, and this was the last option to try. I should note the reason I went on it is because my body stopped having periods, I went over a year without any periods (I wasn't pregnant, and was 23 yrs old). So I went ahead and tried it. I was not as crazy on this, and it cleared up my skin completely. After about 4 months though I completely lost my sex drive. Like from 100 to -100. After my periods regulated out I quit taking it. Now 8 months later I am back to not having a period and just started taking it again the other day. This time around I am feeling kind of sick.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2012 11:18 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I haven't had a single noticeable side effect while taking this pill. No acne, no significant weight gain, no mood changes, no loss of sex drive. Not to mention it works wonders for your cycle: mine's extremely consistent, my periods are lighter, and my once terrible cramps are distant memories. Oh, and you also won't get pregnant. This is a great pill, the side effects some people report are probably an expected reaction or an individual bad experience. Highly recommended.

October 25, 2012 1:34 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I took Apri for 2 years. I have experienced extreme bloating (went for 112lbs to 118 lbs just of retained water). Blurry vision in my left eye, tiredness, chest pain sometimes, could not drink any alcohol it would make my bloating worse. I changed to Yaz 2 weeks ago and I feel like a brand new person. No more bloating, I feel great!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2012 6:29 AM

Review by momof3yipee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had a baby 12 weeks ago and have been on Apri since my 6 week postpartum appointment. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and my periods have always been VERY irregular. I also get a few whiskers that grow on my chin from the PCOS. Since starting the pill I have noticed that those whiskers aren't growing anymore, also I have regular periods, my sex drive is normal and I have not gained any weight! INFACT I have lost 20lbs since starting it and have not changed my diet or exercise routine. I love this pill, this is why I rate it 10! Oh and after having 3 children there is a BONUS I am not pregnant.

October 10, 2012 1:44 PM

Review by joface (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Previously I was taking Ortho-cept, before that I was on Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo. Both of these were wonderful for my skin, which I naturally have troubles with. My insurance doesn't cover Ortho-cept so my pharmacy have me Apri. My face exploded and hasn't gotten any better after 3 months. I assume this is a permanent thing and I'm looking to switch to Tri-Sprintec. I normally have very painful abdominal cramps but Apri has helped a lot with the pain.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate