User Reviews for Apri

Learn more about Apri.

Apri Review Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 208 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Apri to treat Birth Control

"Apri was my first ever birth control. The first month I experienced horrible symptoms (breakthrough bleeding for 30 days straight, bloating, cravings, nose bleeds, and vaginal odor) I contemplated getting off of it altogether but after the 30days I returned back to normal and it has been great since then! Everyone's body is different so this was just MY personal experience. I was taking it in preparation to consummate my marriage and I would suggest to any other women working on a timeline to start it waaaaay in advance so as to avoid and prepare for any changes to your cycle time and bodys adjustment."

Anonymous January 16, 2014

"Not really impressed with this. Ortho-Cyclen was much better for me. I have been on it for 9 months and at first it was ok but after a while I would get painful, heavy periods the first day, backaches during period, breasts hurt all the time, and no sex drive whatsoever. Will be coming off of this soon."

allygirl13 January 9, 2014

"I took Apri for over 2 years with no side effects. My periods went from extremely heavy for 6-7 days to very light for 3-4 days. My cramps went away, skin cleared up a little bit. Then I switched to Implanon for a month. During that time I bled every single day and broke out horribly all over my chest and back. So I got that removed and went back on Apri. Since then my periods have gone back to normal, I've gone up 2 cup sizes in the last 8 months, but I have been experiencing some very mild nausea and lightheadedness. I love it overall."

lms6393 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 23, 2013

"Apri was prescribed to me as my first birth control pill to use..ever. I have been taking them for a month so far. Before Apri, I had been experiencing very tender breasts, break outs, and constant food cravings before my period would start. My period was also very irregular. After taking Apri, my breasts no longer become painfully tender before my period (period flow is the same but shorter 3-5 days when it used to be 5-8 days). I do not get moody, rather it has not affected my mood at all. I've noticed my breasts getting bigger. No weight loss or gain so far. I have the same appetite but I seem to become fuller sooner."

jenatoller December 8, 2013

"I decided to give Apri a 10/10 score because I've been on this pill for 11 months now and had absolutely no issues with it. As for clearing acne, my acne was already starting to fade away before taking the pill so I haven't had too many issues. I still break out sometimes before my period is due. My boyfriend and I have not used any back up method of birth control and I haven't gotten pregnant...so I suppose it's doing its job. But of course, I realize we still SHOULD be using a back up method. Before getting on this pill, I used to have horrible cramping and very heavy periods, lasting as long as 10 days. Now I have short, pain-free periods that last usually from Thursday to Saturday (or very light on Sunday when I begin my new pack.)"

jackienld (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 14, 2013

"I've been taking Apri for 5 months now in hopes to clear my acne. There has been zero improvement! Although everything else about Apri is positive. No weight gain"

Hayrodgers555 November 10, 2013

"I started taking Apri, because my periods became irregular. I took it for 10 days. I felt horrible my mind felt cloudy. I couldn't remember where I was 15 minutes later. It was the 2nd time in my life that I took birth control. I am 37 and I break out like I was 17. I would have liked to stay on it, but I could not deal with my symptoms."

my experience (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2013

"I have been on apri for a year and was recently put on another then forced back do to a recall, I was so sad to be put back on apri. While off for 2 months, my weight had gone down, and sex drive went back to normal, and I head energy again. now back on for not even a month and everything is getting messed up again. It's not the pills fault, but you may notice weight gain, feel sluggish, and a lower sex drive if your body reacts to this the same way I do. :( it's time to figure out something else.... My body and relationship can't go thu this again."

mana27 October 25, 2013

"I was on this birth control for a month and a half. I experienced terrible bloating. I've been thin my whole life, always very active and able to eat whatever I wanted. With this pill, I constantly felt tired and had to monitor what I ate so I didn't gain weight (I gained about 5 pounds, still working out although not as intense as before due to being tired, BUT I was eating less!) Also, this pill affected my mood a lot- it was a subtle change, but then a month and a half later I realized I never had the energy to do anything. I was sad quite often. My acne didn't improve at all, if anything it made it worse. Breast were tender. But, no decrease in sex drive and did prevent pregnancy."

alexandra.. October 20, 2013

"I have recently switched to Apri28 from having tried a handful before it. I have been on Yasmin for the past 3 and a half years. Nothing really affected me except that I felt I was getting really moody and would snap for no reason, and I was always a happy person before. So naturally, I wanted a change. I waited a month after coming off of it and my back and forehead started to break out which I NEVER had, even before Yasmin so I started taking Apri right away. Honestly, it took a couple weeks for my body to adjust but I am clear once again, I feel like myself FINALLY! And I haven't had any problems. My left leg was a little tingly at times after a week or two, but that is gone.. even after only 2 months I know it was a good choice for me."

SamanthaAshley (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2013

"I have been taking this pill for several years. My periods went from being extremely heavy for unhealthy lengths of time which occurred frequently (heavy 2-4 week periods every 2 weeks or so) to having regular periods all around. They only last for 4 days and are much lighter compared to what i was experiencing before but are still slightly heavy. It has cleared my acne almost completely but my cup size has gone from a D to a DDD (I am not a big girl so this was quite extreme and I would say the only side effect that has bothered me. I experience no pain though). Weight gain is A LOT easier but like anything it can be controlled with extra effort. I am quite happy for the most part."

Ccccc1234cc August 29, 2013

"I am thrilled with Apri! I decided to try birth control again because of terrible pelvic pain probably due to my polycystic ovarian syndrome. Since starting Apri the pain is gone, completely! I was to the point where I was going to opt for laparoscopy just to find a reason and hopefully a cure for the pain but my doctor convinced me to give this a try and I'm glad I did! Another bonus is that it helps with my depression and daily fatigue which was something I wasn't expecting. Add in the fact that I can take the active pills for multiple months straight means I'm feeling a thousand times more energetic than I did before Apri. But when I do switch to the white placebo pills I feel awful again for that week. Light periods too! Works for me."

Christies (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2013

"I've been on Apri for about 2 weeks now. The only side effect I've noticed has been waking up at night or falling asleep at night extremely nauseous, but I assume that's normal because my body is adjusting to the pill. Also, for just being two week I've noticed my boobs are getting somewhat bigger. I'm not complaining though. Lets see how the next couple of months go."

Holls August 16, 2013

"I have been on this birth control for almost 10 years. It has cleared up my acne, made my periods lighter, and my breasts went from a size B to a size C. The only negative effect is that it may have made my eyes even drier than they already are. When I tried to stop using Apri, just to see how my body would react because I didn't want to be taking medicine for no reason, all my acne on my face came back and I even had acne on my chest and my back, which I had never had before. I am kind of afraid to ever stop taking it for that reason."

s0ngBird August 1, 2013

"I have been on Apri for about 12 years now. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I have gained weight in the last year, I wasn't sure if it was caused by the birth control, so I went off of it for about 6 months. Nothing changed, it's obviously just my diet and lack of exercise. My OBGYN said that being on this pill has significantly reduced my risk of breast cancer, and I have much more regular periods and less cramping."

decader (taken for 10 years or more) July 30, 2013

"I guess it does what it's supposed to, prevents pregnancy! I have been on it for 2 months and the weight gain in my belly is ridiculous! I've gained 5 pounds. My mood is all whacked out. I plan on quitting."

jurn (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2013

"I've been on April for about three years now and it has been great. I've never had any problems with it...it regulated my period and also kept it really light. The only thing I've noticed is that it made me gain a few pounds. Other than that, it's worked well. The best part...I'm not pregnant. It has kept my acne under control as well. Overall it has a few side effects but I recommend it."

Allie W July 13, 2013

"It cleared my oily skin and acne, but my hunger was out of control and my mood swings were awful. I had no desire at all for sex anymore and that can really put a damper on a new marriage."

Amber31322 July 7, 2013

"Apri was the very first birth control pill prescribed to me. My skin cleared up to the point of being a little dry and my periods were light and regular. However, I started passing large clots during the placebo week, which were very painful. I also gained about 5-7 pounds and I could have been imagining it, but I thought my legs started feeling funny at night. I stopped taking this pill after 4 months and am now on a different brand I am very happy with."

eai36 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2013

"I'm glad to have read these reviews, because now I know why I'm hungry all the time! I think about food all the time. I have never been that way. I'm a healthy eater and gym junkie. So, I have gained weight, lost any sex drive (but I'm not active anyway), and am a little irritable. But besides that, I have no other problems. I'm using it for surrogacy, so they have me on my second pack in a row to skip my period which worked perfectly. The last pill did not stop it. Why cant I be one of the people who have lost weight on it? "

cyberlily4 May 16, 2013

"My experience with Apri has been great. I have been on it for about 5 years now. I do not get any of the side effects - no headaches, mood swings, weight gain, etc. I was recommended by 2 doctors to take 4 x 21 packs of Apri in a row, totaling to 3 months of birth control then stopping for a week to get my period. So this means that you only get your periods 4 times a year. This causes no health risks at all (unless you take it longer than 3 months in a row) and I have been doing this for 3 years with no side effects at all. I have spoken to 4 doctors about this and none of them disagreed with this method. I was told to try it and if it worked for me to definitely keep doing it. *May not be for everyone so please consult your doctor first*."

Love Elle May 14, 2013

"This birth control pill is awesome. It made my periods even lighter than they were before, I get no pimples, I've lost 15 pounds, my breasts went from a B to a D, and emotionally I feel the same as I did before it. I would highly recommend it."

______ April 7, 2013

"I started originally on Tri-Sprintec but after a few days I couldn't handle the cramps, bloating and spotting all the time. I call my doctor and she prescribed Apri. After seeing all the reviews I felt that this was a better choice then the Tri-Sprintec pill. Since Apri had better reviews then Tri, everyone's body is different but So far it has worked great no side effect's I LOVE IT."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2013

"This pill is a dream! I was so worried to go on birth control, due to all the scary side effects I always here about! After two months, I have had none. I had really bad periods that would leave me very sick for days. I only get very light cramping right before my period starts. I haven't gained any weight. I actually lost weight around my waist, and I am already very petite to begin with. My cup size went up to a C from a B, and my light acne has become almost non-existent. I was lucky to find a pill that worked for me right off of the bat!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2013

"I have taken it for about a year and I no longer have cramps, I have lost weight, and my pimples have vanished. My friend however took it and got light headed. This is not for everyone but it works for me and I am not pregnant."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 13, 2013